Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Erevis Cale and the 2012 Suvudu Cagematch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  20:41:18  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
And so it is that genre March Madness begins, and the bracket for the 2012 SF/F Suvudu Cagematch is revealed.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/02/cage-match-2012-the-bracket-revealed.html

There are lots of wonderful authors and wonderful characters participating, but enough about them, let's talk about me. :-)

The Realms are represented this year (I believe Drizz't and Elminster appeared in earlier years) by Erevis Cale, who's in the Hogwarts: Quidditch Pitch division. He's a #6 seed, and in round one squares off against #11 seed Johnny Rico (from Heinlein's Starship Troopers).

I had a blast writing the fiction bit to go along with this, and I'll link to it when it goes up on Suvudu.com. Obviously, it doesn't end well for Johnny Rico, powered armor or no. :-)

Anyway, when voting begins, I'll nag you for your vote. Fair warning. :-) Should be fun.

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  21:13:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm voting for Cale, of course!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  13:36:58  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Cale can easily take Johnny. No contest.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  14:06:31  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see some stiff competition for Cale in the form of Revan.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  01:11:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Agreed. Or we're just biased.

Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  02:42:40  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't make me pick between Erevis and Moiraine Damodred.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  13:23:48  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Agreed. Or we're just biased.

Well I will admit to a little bias.
But still a chosen of Mask should be able to take a gun toting ape.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  13:26:08  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Revan might just be able to take Cale. He is definitely faster and stronger thanks to the Force but Cale is able to heal from almost any wound so he has an advantage in endurance.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  23:40:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Revan might just be able to take Cale. He is definitely faster and stronger thanks to the Force but Cale is able to heal from almost any wound so he has an advantage in endurance.

Not to mention he's favored by a naughty god who loves to meddle with his servants' affairs.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  07:27:23  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

Not to mention he's favored by a naughty god who loves to meddle with his servants' affairs.

Very true, lets hear it for the naughtiest God of all.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  18:15:53  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Johnny Rico? I don't know who that is, but he seems easy pickings. Really, that entire division seems pretty steamrollerable. The first real test Cale probably is going to face is probably going to be either Gimili or Harry Potter.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  16:01:56  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is the link to the Cale-Rico cagematch.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/cage-match-2012-round-1-erevis-cale-versus-juan-johnny-rico.html

At the link you can read my account of how I think the fight will go. I hope you enjoy. I had fun writing it. Afterward, please go ahead and vote (just a click is all it takes).

I'm hoping Cale can stick around a few rounds and account well for FR. Either way, should be fun.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  16:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No contest. Erevis Cale all the way.

I hope he gets to take out that Potter kid too!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  17:08:23  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted and I'm sure of the outcome. Cale advances, but I think if he makes it to Revan (I don't know many of the competitors), he's done for. The Dark Lord (of Murder?) will pulp his brain. After all, he had very little defense against Mags at the end of Twilight War.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 05 Mar 2012 17:24:58
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  17:26:53  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I voted and I'm sure of the outcome. Cale advances, but I think if he makes it to Revan (I don't know many of the competitors), he's done for. The Dark Lord (of Murder?) will pulp his brain. After all, he had very little defense against Mags at the end of Twilight War.

Of course, at the end of The Twilight War, Mag's already formidable mental powers were augmented by his connection to The Source. Still, I take your point.

Be fun to make it that far. Weaveshear against a lightsaber would be fun to write. I've wanted to do that since I started writing Star Wars novels in addition to my Realms work. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  18:00:44  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  20:05:56  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Erevis Cale well ahead, with 68.84% of the vote. (Insert Vladamir Putin joke)

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  20:07:36  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Erevis Cale well ahead, with 68.84% of the vote. (Insert Vladamir Putin joke)

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  00:48:11  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Be fun to make it that far. Weaveshear against a lightsaber would be fun to write. I've wanted to do that since I started writing Star Wars novels in addition to my Realms work. :-)

I'd love to see that happen. I don't know if I could vote one way ahead of the other, though... meh, who am I kidding; Erevis Cale FTW!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  03:24:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Weaveshear against a lightsaber would be fun to write.

A real sword versus a toy? Surely we know which will win?

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  05:58:29  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of all Heinlein's characters they come up with Rico!? Votes for Erevis, Jean, Darian Frey, Kellhus, Tomas, GreG Mandel, Ferro, Anomander Rake, Caine, and Kull. I don't know others.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  11:31:50  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Well said my lord.

Edited by - Thauranil on 06 Mar 2012 11:39:26
Go to Top of Page

jcw928
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  12:18:38  Show Profile  Visit jcw928's Homepage Send jcw928 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Mr. Kemp, it was a blast to read. Out of the many different ways I imagine Cale might win such a match up, I didn't expect the one you went with. What a way to go. Sufficed to say, Cale gets my vote.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  19:13:01  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cale easily, although rico would have been more of a challenge if the fight had been in his universe instead of Faerun's shadowfell.

I still think Cale would win, but he'd have to do it the old fashioned way because there's no ,magic to draw his powers from in Rico's universe.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  14:52:14  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cale's cross-planar murder spree continues (maybe). This time, he faces off against Jean Tannen, from The Lies of Locke Lamora. You can read my take on this match-up (and vote) at the link below. I hope you enjoy. :-)

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/cage-match-2012-round-2-erevis-cale-versus-jean-tannen.html
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  15:07:03  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that hardly seemed fair. I wonder, does the author of the other competitor also do a write up?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  15:15:20  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, that hardly seemed fair. I wonder, does the author of the other competitor also do a write up?

Sometimes, yes. I think Suvudu posts the write up that accords with their predicted winner. Note, of course, that the power levels for these various characters are completely different (Jean is just a man, after all, albeit a very tough one, while Cale is a shade, a Chosen of Mask, and semi-divine). Still, this is really just a fun exercise where readers can learn about characters and authors they may not know, vote for their favorites, etc. It's a bit of genre fun and not to be taken too seriously. Read and vote in that spirit. :-)

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 12 Mar 2012 15:21:47
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  15:40:27  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry Paul, but I'm going to have to go with Jean for this one. Fat guy with axes beats shadowy ex-butlers in my book. ;)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  17:57:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-With 279 votes in, Erevis Cale has a slight edge, with 57.35% of the vote.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  08:35:42  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty cool stuff. I clearly don't read enough because there are too many characters here I don't know enough, but it's entertaining.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2012 :  13:54:44  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cale's run in the Cagematch continues, this time against Rachel Morgan, from Kim Harrison's Hollows series.

As you can see from my three write-ups, I'm trying to string them together into a coherent story (of sorts). I'm calling it, "Erevis Cale's Excellent Multiversal Adventure," in which he meets Abraham Lincoln and Socrates, and...

Anyway, hope you enjoy. And maybe vote, too?

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/cage-match-2012-round-3-erevis-cale-versus-rachel-morgan.html

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 19 Mar 2012 13:55:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000