Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mystryl and Mystra: A Mystery of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  04:32:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Wasn't there another star - one that may have been connected to the Spellplague? An OLD reference from the OGB... something about a 'Black Star' and Storm, or some-such? Or was it Dove? I forget.

1356 Ches, OGB Cyclopedia, pp 36-37:
quote:
Marchayn of Archendale, the feared "Mad Witch" of the Thunder Peaks, has been found in her citadel, mindless and drooling, amidst chaos. All about her tower lay the dead bodies of the orcs (and worse) that served her, and much of her tower is now a fireblackened shell. The herdsman who found her reported to merchants of Arabel that Marchayn (who soon died and whose body was burned by the herdsman) repeated endlessly, "Dove! Dove! Smashed the black star . . . Dove!"

And yes; Ed (here, via THO) confirmed that as an early reference to the Spellplague, but the exact meaning of the phrase was never explained. Dove just kind of disappeared along with Alustriel and Laeral, and the closest thing we have to a "black star" is Cyric's nickname of "The Black Sun"... which may be on to something... but "black" doesn't really connect with "green" and "glowing"... although Bane's new symbol, as well as the vision connected with his return, do connect rather well with those descriptors.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 26 Feb 2012 04:37:52
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  06:23:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Wasn't there another star - one that may have been connected to the Spellplague? An OLD reference from the OGB... something about a 'Black Star' and Storm, or some-such? Or was it Dove? I forget.

1356 Ches, OGB Cyclopedia, pp 36-37:
quote:
Marchayn of Archendale, the feared "Mad Witch" of the Thunder Peaks, has been found in her citadel, mindless and drooling, amidst chaos. All about her tower lay the dead bodies of the orcs (and worse) that served her, and much of her tower is now a fireblackened shell. The herdsman who found her reported to merchants of Arabel that Marchayn (who soon died and whose body was burned by the herdsman) repeated endlessly, "Dove! Dove! Smashed the black star . . . Dove!"

And yes; Ed (here, via THO) confirmed that as an early reference to the Spellplague, but the exact meaning of the phrase was never explained. Dove just kind of disappeared along with Alustriel and Laeral, and the closest thing we have to a "black star" is Cyric's nickname of "The Black Sun"... which may be on to something... but "black" doesn't really connect with "green" and "glowing"... although Bane's new symbol, as well as the vision connected with his return, do connect rather well with those descriptors.

That was exactly what I was thinking of... I've decided that the Black Star is an enormous black sapphire, and that's not something that would give a green glow...

About Bane's new symbol... I've mentioned this before, but I think Bane 2.0 is really Xvim, masquerading as his dad, to play off the name and rep. It's not something stated outright in the lore; you have to read into it. But I do think it's significant that Bane 2.0 is using Xvim's colors, not the colors of Bane 1.0, and that Bane 2.0 favors some of the same critters that Xvim favored. It could indicate that Bane 2.0 is some mix of both Bane and Xvim, but since I like Xvim more and since we've got canon examples of deities pretending to be other deities (even Xvim did it, though not for purposes of worship), I prefer the impostor theory.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  06:46:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been speculating [again] on my always-being-modified theory of Bane's return... that the Black Lord may have been experiencing some difficulties in completely subsuming the remnants of Xvim's essense. This was reflecting one of your [Wooly] theories about Xvim having more of a place in Bane 2.0's essence, and the fact that Bane 2.0 is essentially using Xvim's colours.

Bane's hand is squeezing the green rays [of Xvim] -- and if we look at that from the "Bane-eventually-subsumes-Xvim" stand point, that image itself could suggest Bane is perhaps closing in around Xvim's remnants, or rather, slowly squeezing it out of existence [or rather again, completely consuming it]. Or, alternatively, looking at it from your perspective, with Xvim maintaining some place in Bane 2.0, maybe Xvim is fighting to maintain himself in spite of Bane's apparent [and overriding] presence.

The old "Beast of Bane" tidbit from the 3e Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land adventure-tome, as well, may be a reflection of the fact that Xvim still has some fight left in him, and that he was [somehow] solely responsible for its creation.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  12:03:25  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
The old "Beast of Bane" tidbit from the 3e Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land adventure-tome, as well, may be a reflection of the fact that Xvim still has some fight left in him, and that he was [somehow] solely responsible for its creation.

Interesting thought, Sage!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  17:38:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Or Bane and Xvim simply merged as one---two personalities in one form/body. And they must have worked on an agreement to their mutual benefit as to what personality to show on certain given occasions.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  17:49:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Or Bane and Xvim simply merged as one---two personalities in one form/body. And they must have worked on an agreement to their mutual benefit as to what personality to show on certain given occasions.

I don't see the ultimate tyrant agreeing to timeshare his body.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  18:13:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Not unless he was left with no better options.

He was once forced to agree on a bad bargain with Szass Tam. Under normal circumstances, he would have fought the lich both to teach him a lesson and rid the world of another ambitious being who wanted to rule the gods. But I suppose two things made him agree to their bargain. One, Thay has a substantial number of his followers. And two, which was the most important, he was engaged in some divine endeavor where time was very important; and thus he couldn't waste time dealing with the "cage" that Szass Tam put him in.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  18:44:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

He was once forced to agree on a bad bargain with Szass Tam. Under normal circumstances, he would have fought the lich both to teach him a lesson and rid the world of another ambitious being who wanted to rule the gods. But I suppose two things made him agree to their bargain. One, Thay has a substantial number of his followers. And two, which was the most important, he was engaged in some divine endeavor where time was very important; and thus he couldn't waste time dealing with the "cage" that Szass Tam put him in.

This makes sense to me... if it was a choice between "staying dead" and the arrangement you describe, I'm pretty sure Bane would choose the latter; he can't do much of anything if he's dead, and the time-share arrangement at least allows him some ability to move toward his goals... whatever those may be.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  18:54:18  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry, I didn't realise, but I was alluding to a tweak in my own Realms with that last bit. Dornal wasn't the father of Qilue in my Realms, unlike what we've learned from the canon Realmslore.

I've performed a similar but opposite tweak in my Realms; Dornal was the father, and Qilue wasn't born a drow. Her surrogate mother was instead a member of the Eldreth Veluuthra and an extremely gifted wizard, which is how the agreement was worked out (see text following); none of this has come into play yet, and as a result it's still being modified, but Mystra (because of her nature and role as defined by Ed and in published canon) has completely separate aspects for the major races; this is another way in which she divides her power. The "elven Mystra" is the deity worshipped by the surrogate mother of Qilue, so even though said wizard hates humans, she's (probably unknowingly) worshipping a primarily-human deity. This was inspired in part by certain RW events that have been ongoing for the past decade or two.

Edited by - Jakk on 26 Feb 2012 18:55:29
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  19:40:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This makes sense to me... if it was a choice between "staying dead" and the arrangement you describe, I'm pretty sure Bane would choose the latter; he can't do much of anything if he's dead, and the time-share arrangement at least allows him some ability to move toward his goals... whatever those may be.

Oblivion or life (and the chance to somehow regain his full control of his form one day)? Definitely the latter.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  00:16:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's counter-productive to the whole conception of the "Tyrant," which Bane classically embodies.

I can't see how the merger would work. One or the other would always be struggling for dominance.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  00:17:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bane's just returned from the dead.

Considering we still don't know how or why, I can't see any reason for him to agree to the merger you propose. He's the ultimate tyrant, and he's just beaten deity-death. I'd imagine Bane will be determined to have the final say on anything that happens in his future.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  00:18:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sorry, I didn't realise, but I was alluding to a tweak in my own Realms with that last bit. Dornal wasn't the father of Qilue in my Realms, unlike what we've learned from the canon Realmslore.

I've performed a similar but opposite tweak in my Realms; Dornal was the father, and Qilue wasn't born a drow. Her surrogate mother was instead a member of the Eldreth Veluuthra and an extremely gifted wizard, which is how the agreement was worked out (see text following); none of this has come into play yet, and as a result it's still being modified, but Mystra (because of her nature and role as defined by Ed and in published canon) has completely separate aspects for the major races; this is another way in which she divides her power. The "elven Mystra" is the deity worshipped by the surrogate mother of Qilue, so even though said wizard hates humans, she's (probably unknowingly) worshipping a primarily-human deity. This was inspired in part by certain RW events that have been ongoing for the past decade or two.

Can you share anything else about this idea? I like the EV-angle.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  01:42:15  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Can you share anything else about this idea? I like the EV-angle.
Sorry, but it isn't much more developed than this at the moment. Some other thoughts I've had regarding it are that, as a youngster, she's either (a) having to play along with EV-indoctrination foisted on her by her surrogate mum (and possibly setting herself up as a sleeper agent to help bring down the EV when the time is right - something the PCs will play no small part in; this version would definitely be a powerful arcane caster like the majority of her sisters, but with a rather torn world-view kept intact only by Mystra's guidance) or (b) run off from her surrogate mum and fending for herself when she "officially" became a Chosen (and this version of her would be much like Alassra in temperament and Dove in profession/skill set). I haven't really gone into any more detail than that, but this may be just what you were looking for.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  04:20:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That's counter-productive to the whole conception of the "Tyrant," which Bane classically embodies.

I can't see how the merger would work. One or the other would always be struggling for dominance.

That's how I see it. And even if this did come to pass, I think that once Bane was in the driver's seat, he'd do anything possible to stay there.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  00:35:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

That's how I see it. And even if this did come to pass, I think that once Bane was in the driver's seat, he'd do anything possible to stay there.

I wouldn't really call it counter-productive, but ironic. Which literature is fond of using.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  08:23:39  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coming back to Mystra here... spoiler from Ed's current Elminster storyline follows, so if you haven't read Elminster Must Die! or Bury Elminster Deep, stop reading now.

I had asked Ed (or at least I thought I did; I can't find my OP now) (using spoiler tags, of course) if we would be learning how Mystra survived the Spellplague... and I think I had the answer two and a half years ago...
I never thought I'd quote myself...
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk - 05 Sep 2009 (this is from the scroll linked to in the previous line)

...Cyric murdered Mystra in Dweomerheart (this is from GHotR), otherwise her death would not have been complete and final. Deities (esp. greater deities) must be killed on their home plane in order to die; otherwise, it is only their avatar that dies. (IIRC; I'm going from memory here.)

Edit: Of course, things may be different in your Realms; particularly since the current (as of 1385 DR) Mystra was an ascended mortal; perhaps she retained Toril as her home plane...

(bold added) ...and of course, as we know from EMD and BED, Mystra does survive the Spellplague, if only barely. This is why a new deity of magic could not ascend.

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Feb 2012 08:28:30
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  17:57:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Earlier posts in this thread inspire me to wonder about the Time of Troubles . . . what if the whole "Tablets of Fate" thing was just a head fake, and Ao really triggered the event to check some particularly powerful deities, such as Mystra? He saw her becoming too mighty, so he engineered a series of events to trigger her self-reload mechanism to create a weaker Mystra (out of Midnight).

Of all the deities who could rise to challenge Ao, I think Mystra is the big threat.

Her and Shar, that is.

Maybe Ao engineered the Spellplague too, in order to do the same exact thing, and also collapse the Shadow Weave, which was empowering another would-be rival. But he didn't bother to consider the devastating consequences for the mortals of the Realms (upon whom his power is not directly dependent), and his self-imposed exile after the Spellplague arises from a sense of regret for how badly he messed everything up?

Hmm . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  19:06:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Earlier posts in this thread inspire me to wonder about the Time of Troubles . . . what if the whole "Tablets of Fate" thing was just a head fake, and Ao really triggered the event to check some particularly powerful deities, such as Mystra? He saw her becoming too mighty, so he engineered a series of events to trigger her self-reload mechanism to create a weaker Mystra (out of Midnight).

Of all the deities who could rise to challenge Ao, I think Mystra is the big threat.

Her and Shar, that is.

Maybe Ao engineered the Spellplague too, in order to do the same exact thing, and also collapse the Shadow Weave, which was empowering another would-be rival. But he didn't bother to consider the devastating consequences for the mortals of the Realms (upon whom his power is not directly dependent), and his self-imposed exile after the Spellplague arises from a sense of regret for how badly he messed everything up?

Hmm . . .

Cheers

Meh, I don't see him slapping down all of the gods when he could have just slapped down one or two. And even if it was an oversight, I don't see him engineering such destruction without trying to fix it.

If anything, I prefer the older suggestion made by someone that it wasn't Mystra's death that caused the Spellplague, it was the murder of Ao that did it. There are issues with that explanation, too, but I find that a more plausible explanation for the erratic nature of the Spellplague than the official one, and it would explain how Shar was able to keep a new Mystra from popping up.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Feb 2012 19:07:13
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  20:29:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Her and Shar, that is.

Hmm . . .

Cheers

Meh, I don't see him slapping down all of the gods when he could have just slapped down one or two. And even if it was an oversight, I don't see him engineering such destruction without trying to fix it.

If anything, I prefer the older suggestion made by someone that it wasn't Mystra's death that caused the Spellplague, it was the murder of Ao that did it. There are issues with that explanation, too, but I find that a more plausible explanation for the erratic nature of the Spellplague than the official one, and it would explain how Shar was able to keep a new Mystra from popping up.

Careful there..... I wouldn't expect that management would punish everyone for the stupidity of a single individual.... and yet at least once a month I've got to hear some droning about how we "all" need to be careful with what we do at our job and not break things. Ao IS management still :-)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  20:43:55  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Except... we have from the new Elminster novels a near-100% assurance that Shar had nothing to do with "preventing" a new Mystra from ascending, because it wasn't necessary (see my spoiler-tagged comments above)... Shar may have been advertising that fact through her priesthood to artificially magnify her power, but I think that's as far as it went, with the possible exception that Mystra would have to keep a very low profile to prevent Shar from learning of her survival until she had regained enough strength to survive another attack and, in doing so, Shar was in fact preventing Mystra from ascending to her former power. This is starting to look like a redacted document from a political scandal... let's see if I can find something to talk about without using spoiler tags.

Still, I'm intrigued by these alternative theories... here's hoping we learn the truth (or as close to it as we mortals can get) in Ed's next novel or three.

Edit: Oh, and re: the issues with the murder of Ao: First, I'm not sure that any entity in Realmspace other than Mystra would be capable of murdering Ao. Second, why would she? Third, I suppose it fits in one way; if the goddess of magic were to kill the overgod, it would certainly cause magic to go kablooie at least until the deed was done and the goddess could calm down again. Fourth, how does Shar fit in? And fifth, if Mystra's not dead or critically injured in this scenario, how is her following century of silence explained? I think the (attempted) murder of Mystra is by far the simpler explanation.

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Feb 2012 20:51:53
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  22:02:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Except... we have from the new Elminster novels a near-100% assurance that Shar had nothing to do with "preventing" a new Mystra from ascending, because it wasn't necessary (see my spoiler-tagged comments above)... Shar may have been advertising that fact through her priesthood to artificially magnify her power, but I think that's as far as it went, with the possible exception that Mystra would have to keep a very low profile to prevent Shar from learning of her survival until she had regained enough strength to survive another attack and, in doing so, Shar was in fact preventing Mystra from ascending to her former power. This is starting to look like a redacted document from a political scandal... let's see if I can find something to talk about without using spoiler tags.

Still, I'm intrigued by these alternative theories... here's hoping we learn the truth (or as close to it as we mortals can get) in Ed's next novel or three.

Edit: Oh, and re: the issues with the murder of Ao: First, I'm not sure that any entity in Realmspace other than Mystra would be capable of murdering Ao. Second, why would she? Third, I suppose it fits in one way; if the goddess of magic were to kill the overgod, it would certainly cause magic to go kablooie at least until the deed was done and the goddess could calm down again. Fourth, how does Shar fit in? And fifth, if Mystra's not dead or critically injured in this scenario, how is her following century of silence explained? I think the (attempted) murder of Mystra is by far the simpler explanation.

I've not read those novels; I'm going by info in the FRCG and the web info we had in the run-up to 4E. And in one of those places, it was explicitly stated that Shar prevented the ascension of a new deity of magic.

I've not really worked thru the entire thing for murdering Ao; as I said, it was someone else's idea. And the idea doesn't preclude Mystra's murder -- the idea is that it was Ao's murder that caused the Spellplague, not Mystra's. Mystra could have still been killed or imprisoned during that kablooie... As to who did it, I'd personally put my money on Cyric, getting some outside help. Perhaps the Far Realm, perhaps somewhere else...

In fact, what if the primordials were from somewhere far removed from the Realms cosmology, and Ao was one of their number, gone renegade or expatriate? After aeons pass, they find him again, and we get the big boom described. Abeir wasn't a twin world; it was somewhere else, but something about the battle betwixt Ao and his enemies made a connection that made the transposition possible. Ao sacrifices himself, banishes the primordials, and as things are settling back down, Cyric gets sneaky and offs Mystra.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  23:47:43  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've not read those novels; I'm going by info in the FRCG and the web info we had in the run-up to 4E. And in one of those places, it was explicitly stated that Shar prevented the ascension of a new deity of magic.

I believe that was in GHotR... which also told us several dubious things about other deities as well (notably Tyr, Sune, and Helm). Although the rest of the deicides, from a plausibility angle, I have no problem with... but I think the drow were made infinitely less interesting by Lolth wiping out the rest of her pantheon.

quote:

I've not really worked thru the entire thing for murdering Ao; as I said, it was someone else's idea. And the idea doesn't preclude Mystra's murder -- the idea is that it was Ao's murder that caused the Spellplague, not Mystra's. Mystra could have still been killed or imprisoned during that kablooie... As to who did it, I'd personally put my money on Cyric, getting some outside help. Perhaps the Far Realm, perhaps somewhere else...

In fact, what if the primordials were from somewhere far removed from the Realms cosmology, and Ao was one of their number, gone renegade or expatriate? After aeons pass, they find him again, and we get the big boom described. Abeir wasn't a twin world; it was somewhere else, but something about the battle betwixt Ao and his enemies made a connection that made the transposition possible. Ao sacrifices himself, banishes the primordials, and as things are settling back down, Cyric gets sneaky and offs Mystra.

That's a very interesting scenario... but we can still keep Abeir as a twin world to Toril; otherwise, we're looking at a pair of retcons for the same condition, neither of which is preferable to the original state of affairs. If the primordials had tracked Ao to Abeir (which was one world with Toril prior to the Sundering or whatever event we have to separate the two), and they discovered the existence of Toril (some of whose deities turned out to be primordials, according to the 4E lore, so it's not exactly a stretch), the primordials could have brought about the Spellplague in their efforts to deal with the "renegade" Ao. And if we add in Cyric's attempted murder of Mystra and her severe weakening (or death), in combination with the vanishing of Ao and other deities of magic, there's nobody left with the strength to keep the Weave together, and this is what I assume you were getting at with your original post referring to the idea of Ao causing the Spellplague. I like it. And we can further assume that Ao has been either taken into custody or destroyed in his battle with his fellows, thus removing him from the world (something the designers have been trying to do since late 2E, if you look at how little he is discussed in canon in that time). I like this a lot... hopefully WotC sees this and uses it, because it would go a long way toward making the 5e Realms a place I want to be. Further, we can explain the actions of Tyr, Helm, and Sune as the behaviour of deities driven mad by the primordial incursion and the abduction of Ao, and we might even be able to bring Helm back in the process.

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Feb 2012 23:48:39
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  01:52:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Erik, you've got me speculating...
quote:

Hmmm. I wonder how Chauntea would fit into this scenario?

As Ed has stated in the past, both Mystra and Chauntea form the essence of the Realms -- the Weave and the Land respectively. Would Ao have necessarily felt the need to check Chauntea's power as well?

We've also seen tidbits that suggest Ao may have been responsible for ensuring some of Mystra's divine power would be invested in her Chosen. Of course, this has never been actually proven. But what if it wasn't so much about maintaining some semblance of her essence for the rebooted Mystra to reclaim, and, instead, more about limiting her power somewhat. Conceivably, maybe Mystra was "told" by Ao that she could draw on the collective portions of her power invested in all of the Chosen in a time of crisis. But is this actually the truth of the matter? Perhaps Ao could establish a cap on just how much reserve power Mystra can draw upon from the Chosen.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  21:47:11  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip>
Hmmm. I wonder how Chauntea would fit into this scenario?

As Ed has stated in the past, both Mystra and Chauntea form the essence of the Realms -- the Weave and the Land respectively. Would Ao have necessarily felt the need to check Chauntea's power as well?

We've also seen tidbits that suggest Ao may have been responsible for ensuring some of Mystra's divine power would be invested in her Chosen. Of course, this has never been actually proven. But what if it wasn't so much about maintaining some semblance of her essence for the rebooted Mystra to reclaim, and, instead, more about limiting her power somewhat. Conceivably, maybe Mystra was "told" by Ao that she could draw on the collective portions of her power invested in all of the Chosen in a time of crisis. But is this actually the truth of the matter? Perhaps Ao could establish a cap on just how much reserve power Mystra can draw upon from the Chosen.

A very interesting theory, Sage. And this might also explain why Mystra (both 1.0 and 2.0) seem to have more Chosen than Mystryl did... if Mystryl was a more powerful goddess, she would need fewer "vessels" in which to store "excess" divine power... and, conversely, she had fewer resources available to her when Karsus attempted his takeover of the Weave. And that's exactly why the number of Chosen grows with Mystra; she wants to avoid a future scenario similar to this. As I understand it, Mystryl voluntarily ended her own existence in order to save the Weave (the exact mechanisms of why it worked this way, I'm still sketchy on). Mystra 1.0 was killed while confined to a mortal avatar on Toril, so the Weave didn't threaten to completely explode in quite the same way (because her powers were held by others, and Ao presumably prevented a full-blown Spellplague from occurring because he's punishing the gods, not the mortals). Mystra 2.0 was killed on her home plane, so everything went up in flames rather swiftly... but my guess is that, at some level, she still treated Toril as her home as well (being a former mortal and all; see my earlier post), (spoiler from Ed's new El novels follows) and this is why she wasn't utterly destroyed in the destruction of Dweomerheart. But perhaps this limitation you refer to is also why Shar and Cyric were able to infiltrate Dweomerheart and carry out the deed in the first place.

Edited by - Jakk on 02 Mar 2012 21:50:02
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  00:55:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Murder Ao? Who would do that? Cyric? Nah. He's the sickest mind in history, but he's never had the capacity to pull that off.

Ao might simply be bored, and let the world hang in the balance to amuse himself. The same reason he orchestrated the Time of Troubles.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  02:12:45  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Murder Ao? Who would do that? Cyric? Nah. He's the sickest mind in history, but he's never had the capacity to pull that off.

Ao might simply be bored, and let the world hang in the balance to amuse himself. The same reason he orchestrated the Time of Troubles.

Thinking about it, what if Ao's superior offed him? Maybe it was de[i]cided that Ao did too much to protect the gods from the consequences of their actions during the ToT. This is actually more in keeping with both canon and the publisher's movement away from referring to overgods at all.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  02:21:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If the Council of Overgods (as I'd like to call them) did, then there should have been no more Ao in 4E. They don't have to try to eliminate him, because they could if they set their minds to it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  05:20:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If the Council of Overgods (as I'd like to call them) did, then there should have been no more Ao in 4E. They don't have to try to eliminate him, because they could if they set their minds to it.

Uh... Ao was written out of the picture in 4E.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  05:30:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not entirely. Besides, it's impossible to rid of an overgod completely. If greater deities can die and then rise again, how much more the overgods?!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000