Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Drow Pics
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  14:08:01  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in argument with aribeth's armor... it was ceremonial armor... not actual combat armor. just for looks nothing else....or atleast that was what the general conception was....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  15:01:03  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Shadowflame
Get more than one female fighter and 'distraction armour' stops working, as I think my earlier post made clear.
Sure, Miss Buxom in the chainmail bikini might distract some guys, but the instant she runs across a hetero female or gay male opponent? She's in trouble.

Personally, I'd rather walk off the battlefield with my intestines still inside than bare my midriff on it. (Plus some of the fantasy art, those chest-decorations that don't actually join to anything? Bad idea. Really, really bad idea. Lolth's left mandible, the bouncing. No support. Youch.)

Oy! I get the impression that I'm in a distinct minority here.

The only thing I would say about the examples you give having strict application is if you employ only real-world physics and science. I contend that you (not you specifically, LS, but all 'realism' advocates) have lost sight of the possibilities that magic affords, to say nothing of social and cultural differences in other worlds. People in Toril, in Athas, in Golarion, in Krynn, and so forth, do not view the world through our culturally straightjacketed and high-tech lenses.

One thing that armorers and advocates of universal real-world application of standards in a roleplaying game (be it online or tabletop) often neglect or overlook is that these fantasy worlds often do not operate under the exact same natural and/or metaphysical laws as the real world does, and are not making any allowances for this.

I've often smiled at the thought of DM'ing for 'realism advocates', and how straightjacketing it would be - and how people would, in short order, express a desire not to play:
*You may play a fighter or rogue, no problem.
*You may play a barbarian, but will not receive Rage - that is a mental disorder, not a special ability.
*You may play a cleric, but will receive no spells. God doesn't work like that.
*You may play a druid, but will receive no spells or 'nature' ability, and certainly not any sort of bonded companion. Go hug a tree.
*You may play a bard, but will receive no spells. Bardic Lore is the set of encyclopedias you're toting around - once you can afford such priceless works, that is.
*You may play a monk - Hare Krishna, Jackie Chan. Don't expect any abilities a fighter can't get, though.
*You may NOT play a wizard or sorcerer. They don't exist. No real world foundations. Entirely made up.

Oh, and everyone is a human. No exceptions.

What lets me do this (aside from I'm the DM and it's my game)? Why, realism. And in my opinion, this is the sort of game that cleaving to a 'realism' line gets us. No magic. No enchanted beasts. No realms of the Fantastic. Nothing. That's a world I already live in, thanks very much, and this one is more than enough.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  15:27:16  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is turning into a Fantasy Armor discussion. I propose we move this to a new scroll to continue this without hijacking the OP's original intent.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  15:41:07  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the drive to go back to the thread's original purpose! I think I was part of the derailing attempt, and I apologize.

Armor of all kinds is and should be a matter of taste--I happen to prefer more function over form-fitting, but that's me. I'm not terribly swayed by the "varying physics" argument--boobs still bounce around regardless of fantasy world (I mean, isn't that the point?). But to each his own. Armor in fantasy is more for style, less for function.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  15:44:09  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New scroll posted.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2012 :  18:38:27  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GAZ5: The Elves of Alfheim cover by Clyde Caldwell seems to be the earliest appearance and the inspiration for development of the drow at all.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  00:16:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

At Marc:

I like the one riding a beast. And the beast itself.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  20:36:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, TBeholder, but that just can't be. Gary wrote the (ancient mythological) drow into the D&D game (in the physical form the game casts them in) long before TSR started any work on any Known World/Mystara products (i.e. long before the first GAZ appeared). I know. I was around an buying all of the stuff as it came out.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zerak-Tul
Acolyte

Denmark
4 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  23:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Zerak-Tul's Homepage Send Zerak-Tul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Partial to this since I commissioned the piece. In my mind that would be as light a grey as you'd find in drow, ranging all the way to your obsidian-black.

Same artist here, but I feel this one suffers a little from smurf-syndrome with the blue-tinged skin.

Another favorite, that inspired me commissioning a painting in the first place :)

Another good male image, mercenary type.
Lastly a beautiful image of a female with a snake whip.

Sadly there's just such a high ratio of crap drow imagery to good stuff. All kinds of weird coloration, from being as light skinned as you'd expect from a moon elf, to having oddly colored hair, skin, eyes, etc. or just facial features that do not match with the elven lineage. Or the endless droves of Drizzt clones D:
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  23:37:26  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any drow from Cyzra is how I imagine most of them (most, because in my games drow can have much more diverse skin, hair and eye colors, gray skin, white/silver hair and red eyes being the most common).

[url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series uk version[/url] [url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-touring-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series touring uk version[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  00:33:35  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

There aren't many drow pictures on our computer, a few of them that I like

albino

this

this

albino2

this

Anomander

drow

mount

albino

albino

Some of these are cool but a few look like blatant rip-offs from WOW and Devil May Cry

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  01:44:56  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Marc

There aren't many drow pictures on our computer, a few of them that I like

albino

this

this

albino2

this

Anomander

drow

mount

albino

albino

Some of these are cool but a few look like blatant rip-offs from WOW and Devil May Cry

Or African Spirit Masks.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  00:56:55  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah! One of my favorite subjects, lol! Since we're linking to drow art, here's a personal favorite of mine- okay, I'm biased because a fellow poster on Chosen of Eilistraee did it for me, but other than his skin tone being a bit too light, this is a great rendition of my drow bard Lothir. (who has been lazing about in the inn here for FAR too long, methinks. I do believe he's probably finished off most of their elverquisst stock by now, lol!)

link: Clicky!

Sorry, I'm no good at making links "pretty". Maybe a Mod could help? (hint- looking at you, Sage!)

Edit: I forgot, the link is also in my siggy, in shorter form....

Edit 2: I, too, am a huge fan of both Mavrosh and Cyrza on DV!!

Mod edit: Cast shrinky link. And you were looking at the wrong guy.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Mar 2012 04:31:43
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  21:43:44  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly- He was just the one I thought of first..... Doesn't mean I don't still love ya, you big furry lug, LOL!!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  09:50:10  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Sorry, TBeholder, but that just can't be. Gary wrote the (ancient mythological) drow into the D&D game (in the physical form the game casts them in) long before TSR started any work on any Known World/Mystara products (i.e. long before the first GAZ appeared). I know. I was around an buying all of the stuff as it came out.

Ancient mythological Dark Elves? But what was the first appearance? I am vaguely sure there was some mention of hidden evil elves rumors, though can't remember where.

As to Mystara vs. Greyhawk, you're right, of course. Just checked "Vault of the Drow" (which seems to be the first dedicated material) - it's by Gygax, and it's 1981. I thought it was printed later than this, all that early edition mess (it's AD&D) confused me.
Ha, and the cover already got the snake... er... tentacle whip.
quote:
Originally posted by Zerak-Tul

Sadly there's just such a high ratio of crap drow imagery to good stuff.
If 9:1, it's Sturgeon's Law - that is, pretty much standard for everything.

Edited by - TBeholder on 03 Mar 2012 10:04:42
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  17:41:34  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's cooler than a drow? How about a drow with a lightsabre. Check out the gallery for other cool pics including Storm Silverhand.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 05 Mar 2012 18:10:41
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  23:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder
But what was the first appearance? I am vaguely sure there was some mention of hidden evil elves rumors, though can't remember where.

Monster Manual (1977) p. 39: 'The "Black Elves," or drow, are only legend . . .'
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  03:04:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

What's cooler than a drow? How about a drow with a lightsabre. Check out the gallery for other cool pics including Storm Silverhand.

Lightsabres are children's toys.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  08:27:20  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What's cooler than a drow? How about a drow with a lightsabre.
Eh. I thought about prodding someone to do a FR-canonical thing. That is, with a Chromatic Blade. Besides, it obviously allows to apply much better effects.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  10:47:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Dunno about you, but I'm not letting my kid play with anything that could cut easily cut my car in half.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  11:17:48  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Dunno about you, but I'm not letting my kid play with anything that could cut easily cut my car in half.

Plastic cuts cars in half?

[url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series uk version[/url] [url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-touring-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series touring uk version[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  11:52:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The typical lightsaber hilt consisted of a metal cylinder between twenty and thirty-five centimeters in length. However, the size of individuals hilts varied drastically, as the weapon was tailored to the creator's specific needs and preferences. The lightsaber mechanisms were contained within the hilt. High levels of energy generated by a high-output Diatium power cell was unleashed through a series of focusing lenses and energizers that converted the energy into plasma. The plasma was projected through a set of focusing crystals that lent the blade its properties and allowed for the adjustment of blade length and power output. The ideal number of crystals was three, though only one was required.

Once focused by the crystals, the plasma was sent through a series of field energizers and modulation circuitry within the emitter matrix that further focused it, making it into a coherent beam of energy that was projected from the emitter. The blade typically extended about a meter before being arced by the blade containment field back to a negatively charged fissure ringing the emitter, where it was channeled back to the power cell by a superconductor, completing the circuit.

Wookieepedia

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  23:29:08  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, no. Plasma, not plastic, cuts everything in half.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  00:22:10  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lightsabers are made of plastic.
And sometimes out of metal and glass and other miscellaneous things.
It's hardly going to cut a car in half. And we don't yet have that kind of technology to make plasma swords.

But we are going off-topic, so I'm out.

Edited by - Imp on 07 Mar 2012 00:36:32
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  01:09:04  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, you DO understand he was joking, right? Don't be such a killjoy, imp. It's all in fun.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  02:02:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Toy lightsabres were kinda famous when I was in elementary. I'm not sure if it was because of Star Wars or a bunch of Japanese anime that were so popular that time. Memory of it stuck, though. So when I see a lightsabre, I automatically think of a plastic blinking rod---in short, toy.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  02:03:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Um, you DO understand he was joking, right? Don't be such a killjoy, imp. It's all in fun.

I suppose Imp's joking, too.

Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  02:23:48  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Alystra. Who's the killjoy now?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  04:45:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And perhaps we can now revisit the topic?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  13:02:43  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well, here is another. Halisstra Melarn, no less. And stylishly clad in a bodysuit.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 07 Mar 2012 13:09:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000