Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Realmsian non-magical tomes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  11:26:38  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Sages,

Beyond the "Candlekeep Collection", is anywhere a list of the Realmsian non-magical books cited in the TSR/WoTC products?

I remember the "Compleat Dragonhunter" mentioned in the 2e Draconomicon acessory, and an article in Dragon Magazine #222 tells us of a book intitled "Living with the Green Elf". I think that the Lost Library of Cormanthyr novel also brings up some book titles. And there is at least one book cited as a treasure in the Forgotten Realms Adventures sourcebook, named the "Book of Deeds", or something like that. Anything else you remember?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 06 Feb 2012 12:51:36

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  16:05:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I can recall. Just other scattered references which I've slowly been compiling as an addition to the "Candlekeep Collection."

I'll cite Steven Schend's Blackstaff books, for example, which both include many references to Realmsian non-magical books.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  16:27:23  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Not that I can recall. Just other scattered references which I've slowly been compiling as an addition to the "Candlekeep Collection."

I'll cite Steven Schend's Blackstaff books, for example, which both include many references to Realmsian non-magical books.

Thank you, Sage. I already expected it to be this way. Can you share those references you've already found? I intend to post here the names of the books I eventually find, if it's not a problem.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  17:23:39  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blood and Ice: Survival in the Great Glacier, regarded as the definitive arctic survival guide, was penned in 1247 DR by Palus Frohm after 20 years of journeying. Source: The Great Glacier [FR14] page 7.

i'm eager to see the results of this project!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  18:37:15  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, xaeyruudh!

quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Blood and Ice: Survival in the Great Glacier, regarded as the definitive arctic survival guide, was penned in 1247 DR by Palus Frohm after 20 years of journeying. Source: The Great Glacier [FR14] page 7.

i'm eager to see the results of this project!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  18:42:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out Krash's Book List for Tomes in Candlekeep, which builds on Steven Schend's Candlekeep Collection.

Edit: And Wizards has moved the old Candlekeep Collection site. I'll have to track that down later.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Feb 2012 18:43:47
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  23:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The characters in my novels (particularly Downshadow) peruse a whole set of trashy adventure chapbooks (including the 13 and counting "Chronicles of the Silver Fox," the extensive "Lascivities of a Loveable Lothario" collection, "Seven Sisters for Seven Nights," "Torm's Conquests," "Cormyr Privy Tales: the Laughing Sisters," etc)--though those probably aren't the detailed tomes you seem to be looking for.

Kind of an easter egg: The young wizard character in Rosemary's City of the Dead has an old, treasured copy of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep (though it's somewhat out of date, being as it was penned in the 1350s and the novel takes place in 1479).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  00:03:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I remember that Book List by Krash. It has almost everything in it, including those mentioned in Blackstaff.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  00:59:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:

Thank you, Sage. I already expected it to be this way. Can you share those references you've already found? I intend to post here the names of the books I eventually find, if it's not a problem.

I can, and I will. I'm still waiting on Steven Schend to provide me with the final listing of books that were cut from his novels.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  01:00:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I remember that Book List by Krash. It has almost everything in it, including those mentioned in Blackstaff.

But not from Blackstaff Tower, as I recall.

And, as I said above, Steven was generous enough to provide me with a listing of book titles that were either cut from his Blackstaff books, or didn't make it into the story. Which I've also compiled, and will eventually add to the listings here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  01:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at Krash's list, it looks like the various books/reviews/plays Qilue and Laeral talk about in Silverfall aren't there either. Unfortunately I don't have my copy at hand, or I'd look them up myself.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  02:19:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Looking at Krash's list, it looks like the various books/reviews/plays Qilue and Laeral talk about in Silverfall aren't there either. Unfortunately I don't have my copy at hand, or I'd look them up myself.

They're already listed among those I plan to [eventually] add to Krash's existing catalogue.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  02:34:16  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[eventually]

has anyone penned a tome about Sagetime?

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 07 Feb 2012 02:34:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  04:17:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[eventually]

Nope. Sagetime cannot be adequately understood by mortal man. Our friend Down Under is himself a savant, where Sagetime is concerned.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  04:26:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[eventually]

I don't believe there's enough time in the conceivable universe to allow for that.

Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  04:55:19  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[eventually]

I'm sure someone has, but the problem of finding out when is....

you guessed it, sagetime
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2390 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  09:43:00  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, currently "The Candlekeep Collection" in "lore" section is a dead link to Wizards site.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  10:03:55  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already found this piece of lore in Candlekeep's halls:

"Here's a few more titles of books discussed among myself, Ed, and Eric, for reasons that must remain NDA for a while....

- Blades Immemmoria, by Marcus of Torm (c. 1289DR; legendarium on magical blades of the North)
- A Discourse on the Lost Realms of Faerun, by Lagus Tanador of Westgate (c1057 DR)
- A Courtier's Life, by Dostios of Stornanter (c777 DR)
- Musings on Things Netherese, by Saravlan of Merrydale (c989 DR)
- Learning on One Life's Journey, by Brother Accam of Candlekeep (c1153 DR)
- Of Legacies Lost and Found, by Kamor of the Sundered Shield (c212 DR)
- The Consortium Codex, by Yrthus of Anauria (c. -88 DR)
- Weaponry of Some Repute, by Ruul of Kzelter (c1270 DR; catalog and legendarium of magical weapons and their alleged locations)

Hope those look nicely on your shelves.

Steven"

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  12:00:31  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
(...) I'm still waiting on Steven Schend to provide me with the final listing of books that were cut from his novels.

They are not the ones I cited from this other Candlekeep reference, are they? Only wondering if my time limitations here are dependent on Mr. Schend's response or if I've already fully entered Sagetime...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  15:11:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
(...) I'm still waiting on Steven Schend to provide me with the final listing of books that were cut from his novels.

They are not the ones I cited from this other Candlekeep reference, are they? Only wondering if my time limitations here are dependent on Mr. Schend's response or if I've already fully entered Sagetime...

No, they're titles exchanged between myself and Steven through private chatter. I know he's still got a few left to send me... so I'm just waiting on that.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  18:33:20  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So we wait... And thank you in advance, Sage.
And Mr. Krashos' work is awesome... I only noticed that the year of the Blood and Ice reference is diverging in his page and in xaeyruudh's comment. Gotta check the references out.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2390 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  04:42:44  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Nymph Says No" and "Midnight Morningstar Murders" (Volo's Guide to Cormyr)

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  12:11:20  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

"Nymph Says No" and "Midnight Morningstar Murders" (Volo's Guide to Cormyr)

Very good! Thank you, TBeholder!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2012 :  05:39:17  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And Mr. Krashos' work is awesome... I only noticed that the year of the Blood and Ice reference is diverging in his page and in xaeyruudh's comment. Gotta check the references out.

I do not feel comfortable arguing with Krashos' word.

However, from the timeline in The Great Glacier:
3777 (Ulutiun calendar, equivalent to 1227 DR): Palus Frohm "begins his twenty-year trek through the Great Glacier, culminating in the writing of Blood and Ice..."

I took that to mean that he finished the book nearer the end of that 20 years, putting its publication around 1247.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  10:02:30  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry, xaeyruudh. We all know Mr. Krashos did and does an awesome work, but compiling information sometimes is a tricky job, and eventually some details slips off. It doesn't make his work less impressive, and we all are subject to mistakes. I'm pretty sure he is aware and conscious of it. Thank you for detailing the reference, it spared me the work of checking it out. And excuse me from puting you in this delicate situation.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page