Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realms Logo Preference?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2012 :  05:15:31  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I wouldn't like to see something like that amalgam map I worked on awhile back.

I would agree with that... it was interesting, but it lacked something... although it would still have been better than fouling up the internal geography of what we had.

quote:

Maybe make the Realms 'Unforgotten'? Something like that - create a guild of 'world-walkers' and use t the way PF/Golarion uses the Pathfinder's Society? That could blow up in their face though - it would have to be done really, REALLY well.

And maybe connect it to Golarion? That would be Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

I like the idea... but I think the Realms would have to become a property of Paizo first... and I don't think Paizo's interested, even if Hasbro wanted to unload the IP... and I think 5E would have to tank REALLY badly for them to do that, and from the way they're approaching it, it shouldn't... unless their playtest sample set is badly skewed statistically.

quote:

Heh... I just realized something. Planescape would make a good basis for the 5e setting. Outside of a crystal sphere/world, time works differently - that could solve everything right there.

You know, I was thinking much the same thing, in another scroll that was addressing the definition of 'now' in the Realms vs. 'now' on Earth before and after the time-jump. Interesting stuff... mind you, I'd be a philosopher if there were still a market for that job... and I think our RW condition owes a great deal to that lack of market... but I digress... I like the idea of time having no fixed ratio between any two crystal spheres; from one world to the next, the amount of time compression/dilation is entirely random on each and every trip between them. Did I mention I like chaos?

Back on topic: I think I've said it before, but as long as the Realms products have a Realms logo, I'm good with that. Oh, and can someone explain why, in an edition where game mechanics are the same regardless of the world you're on, they took away the ability to travel between worlds? It seems to me that the other way around would be in order... make it *easier* to travel between worlds... then it helps explain why all these previously "setting-specific" creatures are found on all worlds... *sigh* logic was sadly lacking...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2012 :  05:26:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

You know, I was thinking much the same thing, in another scroll that was addressing the definition of 'now' in the Realms vs. 'now' on Earth before and after the time-jump. Interesting stuff... mind you, I'd be a philosopher if there were still a market for that job... and I think our RW condition owes a great deal to that lack of market... but I digress... I like the idea of time having no fixed ratio between any two crystal spheres; from one world to the next, the amount of time compression/dilation is entirely random on each and every trip between them. Did I mention I like chaos?
If you've a mind toward using such concepts in RPGs, I'd recommend reading [assuming you haven't already done so] the 2e Chronomancer supplement.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Jan 2012 05:30:19
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2012 :  16:17:16  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Original logo all day long. Having said that I think it could be modernised with regards to making the gold more golden ans stone background looking more realistic using the latest printing techniques.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2012 :  16:19:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

I like the idea of time having no fixed ratio between any two crystal spheres; from one world to the next, the amount of time compression/dilation is entirely random on each and every trip between them. Did I mention I like chaos?

It's not a bad idea, but I'm not cool with the fact that this could mean the PCs return to a particular crystal sphere before they even left it. This accidental time travel could cause some continuity issues for a DM, and not just the major stuff, like preventing an RSE. What if the PCs realize they came back early, and find a way to warn their earlier selves about something unexpected the DM had sprung on them?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  00:16:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not completely random.

The DM still gets final say, so the 'random' is actually premeditated.

Just because the universe is random doesn't mean our rules have to reflect that.

And if you do want rules to reflect what the DM is doing, you could say time works like gravity - Chronotons of like nature 'pull' toward each other, so that a time-traveler could not accidentally pass-up his own exit point from a timeline. Fantasy-physics are fairly simple to fudge.

I actually have some RW theories regarding this (but instead of fictional chronotons, I just say everyone's EM field is like a temporal 'fingerprint'). The universe finds something out-of-place, and attempts to match the field resonance.

Anyhow, I have been developing this 'one world' theory further for the theoretical 5e model, which you can read about in my 'wish list' thread. Basically, if every setting becomes a sub-setting of FR, then the need for logos is somewhat abated. FR then becomes the meta-setting (along with a re-defined planescape, which should be an integral part of FR, if FR becomes core).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  01:08:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And if you do want rules to reflect what the DM is doing, you could say time works like gravity - Chronotons of like nature 'pull' toward each other, so that a time-traveler could not accidentally pass-up his own exit point from a timeline. Fantasy-physics are fairly simple to fudge.

I actually have some RW theories regarding this (but instead of fictional chronotons, I just say everyone's EM field is like a temporal 'fingerprint'). The universe finds something out-of-place, and attempts to match the field resonance.
Markus, your "chronotons" sound suspiciously like the Chronitons described in several of the various STAR TREK series.

[Which is to say that I've always found the idea itself, quite interesting. I've just never discovered a way to tweak the concept enough for my own temporal theories in campaigns.]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  01:57:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats where I got them from (I really enjoyed that particular storyline from Voyager - it gave me lots of time-lore fodder to use).

They were also used in Teen Titans, so one can assume that like Positronic Brains and Hyperspace, they are becoming a generic scify term.

And sometimes Sage, I feel like you are the 'Aussie' me (or I'm the American you), right down to the procrastination. Its scary.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Cronotonic shielding plays a crucial role in my novel.... if I ever finish it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jan 2012 02:24:21
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  01:59:45  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new one looks promising.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  02:25:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New one? They've released a beta already?

Go to Top of Page

Demeter
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  10:00:03  Show Profile Send Demeter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, there is indeed a new logo. If you will check this here picture out you'll get to see it. It's somewhat blurry, so zooming in helps.

I, for one, quite like it.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  11:24:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the new Logo.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  11:46:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Good. It's finally bigger and on the cover.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  13:40:07  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That one looks pretty good. Like the big Forgotten Realms words on the cover.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  16:39:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There's really no distinguishable difference from the 4e logo, except it's way bigger.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  19:05:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its okay, but I would like to see them put the stone-border around it (or a newer version of it). Have it where the lettering looks like its exploding outward from the wall.

They could just use the bordered version on sourcebooks, and use the plain one (the one pictured) on novels. That will help differentiate the two lines just a bit (not that it needs that).

Anyway, so long as we get a logo, I am fine with it. I suppose the size should vary depending on how closely tied to core FR it is (IF they go with the meta-setting approach I proposed elsewhere). In other words, if they tie the Planer line of products more closely to the Realms, then perhaps the realms logo should be small and go in a corner, or just above the larger Planescape logo (or whatever they want to call the 5e Planer line of products).

Something like this -

The Forgotten Realms
Planescape
Modron March

I                 I
I                 I
I                 I
I                 I
I                 I
I                 I
I                 I
I                 I
I                 I
I                 I
I_________________I

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jan 2012 19:40:05
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  01:33:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Blood War would have more draw than the Modron March, personally.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  10:38:16  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
old style all the way.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  14:31:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last few Forgotten Realms novel releases lack the Realms logo on the cover. Is this how it's going to be for awhile? *Sigh

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 17 Jul 2012 14:32:15
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  18:32:30  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know ,its so annoying especially when you are searching through a stack of books for a realms novel.
Besides which its like they are saying that they are no longer proud to display the realms logo. Ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  20:10:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I know ,its so annoying especially when you are searching through a stack of books for a realms novel.
Besides which its like they are saying that they are no longer proud to display the realms logo. Ridiculous.

The spines still have the logo, but I really don't like that the covers don't.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  20:55:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its more along the lines of them trying to brainwash gamers into thinking "its all D&D now" (I really doubt thats working, but whatever - I know it is working to annoy long-time fans of FR, and I am sure other settings as well).

It used to make me mad, but I got over it. Life's too short to worry about stupid crap.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  22:20:09  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old Forgotten Realms...It is the best!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  00:57:50  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old.

Big shock, I know.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  01:58:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Its more along the lines of them trying to brainwash gamers into thinking "its all D&D now" (I really doubt thats working, but whatever - I know it is working to annoy long-time fans of FR, and I am sure other settings as well).

It used to make me mad, but I got over it. Life's too short to worry about stupid crap.

I didn't get over it , it still pisses me off.....life's too short to be used and walked on by the current publishers who think no matter what they do, enough old fans will stick around while they try to grab the next group of Vamp/drow/shade/werewolf/next fad fans

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  02:00:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

The last few Forgotten Realms novel releases lack the Realms logo on the cover. Is this how it's going to be for awhile? *Sigh

Ugh.....no realms logo at all????........didn't know that.....but then I am now only purchasing realms novels of about four authors and it's been a bit of a wait for one of their novels.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  18:08:46  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

The spines still have the logo, but I really don't like that the covers don't.

Thats true, but thats hardly very prominent is it?
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  18:29:49  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good point. But if their intention is to amalgamate all their series into one D&D brand name then in my case certainly they have failed.
I am a proud FR fan but frankly have no interest whatsoever in Dragonlance and Ebrreon.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  19:36:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When it comes to FR, I should be categorized as a 'rabid fanboi'. I am also a big fan of GH and Mystara. I like Dark Sun, although I've never played it, and also appreciate Krynn (although I have very little interest in reading the novels). Love Ravenloft and Planscape... greatly dislike Spelljammer and Birthright (both of those for the core concept, not the actual setting/fluff so much). I have never played in any of those, either (although I may have visited the first two from some other D&D setting... not sure). I've run games in FR, GH, and OD&D (Mystara).

So I guess you can call me a 'D&D fan'. I like all the lore, because it is part of the greater D&D multiverse, and I can borrow from it liberally.

But even though I have precisely the attitude they want everyone to have, I still take issue with the 'no logo' thing. It no longer irks me the way it once did, but I still consider it a very poor business decision*. I liked that all my game material had different logos on them - it was easier to keep things organized.

Instead of the 'melting pot' they were going for, I think they achieved 'the maelstrom' (a big chaotic soup of mish-mosh lore). They had the 'melting pot' all along; now they've watered-down the stew into soup. Don't get me wrong - I like soup. Its just not very satisfying.

*Edit: Because when you go for re-branding (something a LOT of corporations do), you should fall back on your most successful brands. If D&D is tanking, and FR is the strongest portion of it, then D&D should have been re-branded, NOT The Forgotten Realms.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jul 2012 22:53:31
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  22:47:33  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
old is good

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000