Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realms Logo Preference?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  21:48:14  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Imp

Who cares.

Lol, excellent feedback

"I don't care" is also an answer. Not my problem that you don't like it.

It's biased because there's no "I don't care" option.

Edited by - Imp on 24 Jan 2012 21:49:27
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  21:57:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a Forgotten Realms fansite, and you don't care if new FR material has a logo, or any thoughts on which you preferred in the past?

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but that just seems a little odd to me.

Its like asking a Star Wars fan if they prefer Annikin or Luke, or a Star Trek fan if they prefer Picard over Kirk, and they answer "Who cares?". Thats usually the attitude of people who don't care about a setting.

No one is questioning your right to feel that way.

@Jakk - I separated them that way based on 'usability'. A 3e DM can use stuff written for 1386DR, for example. I wasn't thinking the entire century - just the period immediately surrounding the Spellplague (technically, I think 3e went to like 1387 or some-such, didn't it?). A century later, the material is no longer viable. I was thinking along the lines of comics, with their 'Golden Age, 'Silver Age' & Modern (I feel like I'm forgetting one... post-Crisis and post-Ultimates?) So it works out pre-ToT, 'Golden Age', and post-apocalyptic.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jan 2012 22:16:01
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  21:59:08  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imp

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Imp

Who cares.

Lol, excellent feedback

"I don't care" is also an answer. Not my problem that you don't like it.

It's biased because there's no "I don't care" option.

Complaining about the lack of an "I don't care" option is very biased...and reminiscent of a temper tantrum.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  22:02:52  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol.
I don't complain. I just stated a fact. You're th one who's feeling butthurt because someone saw through your vote manipulation scheme. no one forced you to make a big deal of my post. But you had to, didn't you?

Edited by - Imp on 24 Jan 2012 22:04:19
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  22:16:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imp

Lol.
I don't complain. I just stated a fact. You're th one who's feeling butthurt because someone saw through your vote manipulation scheme. no one forced you to make a big deal of my post. But you had to, didn't you?

How am i manipulating votes by asking if the scribes like the old, new, or lack of Realms logos?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  22:21:55  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no "I don't care" option. It's a valid answer like any other.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  22:36:54  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

<snip>

@Jakk - I separated them that way based on 'usability'. A 3e DM can use stuff written for 1386DR, for example. I wasn't thinking the entire century - just the period immediately surrounding the Spellplague (technically, I think 3e went to like 1387 or some-such, didn't it?). A century later, the material is no longer viable. I was thinking along the lines of comics, with their 'Golden Age, 'Silver Age' & Modern (I feel like I'm forgetting one... post-Crisis and post-Ultimates?) So it works out pre-ToT, 'Golden Age', and post-apocalyptic.

Gotcha... I guess for me this comes down to pre-Spellplague and post-Spellplague; and for me, 3E ends at 1385 and the Spellplague; 1375 is actually the last year in the GHotR we have detailed info for, and for a few years I considered *that* to be the end of 3E. Anyway, your argument makes a certain amount of sense... more if the new edition gives us new lore for "If the Spellplague didn't happen in your Realms"... but I'm flogging that horse to death, and honestly I'll be happy with just renewed support for the earlier timeline... but that's still a "settling point" for me. I'll shut up now, because this "timeline" topic has no business being in this scroll.

Edit: I do still like the idea of different logos for different eras; if we get the option I referred to earlier, I'd like to see the 3E logo retained for that... and a new FR logo created for post-Spellplague material. Make the post-Spellplague products look like FR product, and that in itself will probably generate more interest. Just a thought from a guy with a minor in Psychology...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 24 Jan 2012 22:43:53
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  22:48:27  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Imp

Lol.

How am i manipulating votes by asking if the scribes like the old, new, or lack of Realms logos?

Well, technically, you're gathering / collecting the votes, so by the broadest definition of the word, you are "manipulating" them... and each and every statistician does exactly the same thing, so I guess all statistics are "manipulated"... so this brings us back to the big question: Why does Imp care?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  23:24:01  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Why does Imp care?

And the answer is: I don't. I'm just saying.

Entreri doesn't like me (it's a mutual feeling) and uses this chance to ridicule me. And all I did was give an answer that's simply not to his liking.

Edited by - Imp on 24 Jan 2012 23:28:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  01:00:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we can get back on the topic and stop sniping at each other.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  01:05:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imp

quote:
Why does Imp care?

Entreri doesn't like me (it's a mutual feeling) and uses this chance to ridicule me. And all I did was give an answer that's simply not to his liking.

Okay, I think we're all clear on that now. Let's leave it at that.

We should move on, yes?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  04:17:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Would anyone like the new logo's color be changed to something darker?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  04:31:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Not me.

I like the contrasting light and dark that was evident in the original FR logo -- the shining gold on black and stone-grey.

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Jan 2012 04:32:43
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  04:57:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think lighter font and a combination of dark and gray background would be great.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  13:53:35  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imp

There's no "I don't care" option. It's a valid answer like any other.

I guess 99% of the polls on Candlekeep are biased then since they don't have an "I don't care" option.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  13:57:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imp

quote:
Why does Imp care?

Thankfully I was able to find my enchanted Helm of Ignoring Pointless Off-topic Posts

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  13:59:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I would imagine that WoTC would simply release a new Realms logo instead of sprucing up the 3E one.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  19:09:30  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would imagine that WoTC would simply release a new Realms logo instead of sprucing up the 3E one.

That would be unfortunate; I like the 3.x Realms logo (and I suppose it counts as the 4E logo too, since we did still see it occasionally, at least in the couple of books I looked at)... but then, if the designers want to distance themselves from the Spellplague, I could see a return to the 1E/2E logo (especially to bring back long-time fans) or a new logo altogether... I just hope there is one, and we can tell the difference between a core rulebook and a Realms book without having to read the entire title. That was something I loved about the completely different cover style of the 3.x era. Come to think of it, the old Realms logo on the 3.x faux leather covers would look pretty darned good... anyone care to Photoshop a mock-up?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  22:09:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really shouldn't poke a stick at this, but...

Entreri... I don't think you understand the meaning of the word 'ignore'

Either that, or your Helm is broken.

Sorry - couldn't resist.

It just reminded me of This Commercial about 'the silent treatment'.

EDIT: Ummmmmm... topic... topic.... Colors... yeah... bright... I got nuthin'. {ducks head waiting for the Marky-be-good stick}

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Jan 2012 22:13:28
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  01:08:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not broken, but it was made in China...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  04:59:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have to concur that any 5E Realms books, if they have an FR logo at all, will have a new one. I just don't see them reusing one of the past ones.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  05:15:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I do have to concur that any 5E Realms books, if they have an FR logo at all, will have a new one. I just don't see them reusing one of the past ones.

I'm inclined to assume that Wizards will simply include everything -- irrespective of an individual world's setting -- under the general D&D brand, much like we've already seen with the 4e novels and sourcebooks.

The FORGOTTEN REALMS may only be identified as a sub-heading/sub-label, again, much like what we've seen with the 4e material already.

Whether there will be a deliberate and separate FR logo, I think, will depend on what also happens with EBERRON and DARK SUN in 5e, given that they were also previously branded under the DUNGEON & DRAGONS label with small setting-specific logos underneath the D&D banner during 4e.

I'm mainly thinking this will be the case, because setting-specific material is now slowly being regularly referenced in 4e core sourcebooks. The recent Book of Vile Darkness 4e supplement, for example, includes a quote from Szass Tam, among other setting-specific NPCs. Which kind of further blurs the line between what is core and what is setting-specific, for D&D.

Ultimately, I think the only core [for 5e, perhaps] will be a hodge-podge of all the settings and the worlds Wizards decides to promote as part of the next edition of the game.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jan 2012 05:17:12
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  06:51:29  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

At bookstores its hard to identify FR books nowadays because of the missing logo...

With the newer books, i believe the new Realms logo is still on the spine even if it's missing from the cover. My copy of Swordmage is like that.

Yeah its true that the FR logo is on the spine, i meant looking at the cover directly.I must admit that the artwork has improved somewhat(remembering that disappointing picture of Catti-Brie and a white skinned Drizzt on the cover of Starless Night)
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  07:19:03  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm inclined to assume that Wizards will simply include everything -- irrespective of an individual world's setting -- under the general D&D brand, much like we've already seen with the 4e novels and sourcebooks.

The FORGOTTEN REALMS may only be identified as a sub-heading/sub-label, again, much like what we've seen with the 4e material already.

This irritates me, but I can live with it... [bites tongue on snarky approval of said approach with 4E] ...it's the content that's important to me.

quote:

Whether there will be a deliberate and separate FR logo, I think, will depend on what also happens with EBERRON and DARK SUN in 5e, given that they were also previously branded under the DUNGEON & DRAGONS label with small setting-specific logos underneath the D&D banner during 4e.

I'm mainly thinking this will be the case, because setting-specific material is now slowly being regularly referenced in 4e core sourcebooks. The recent Book of Vile Darkness 4e supplement, for example, includes a quote from Szass Tam, among other setting-specific NPCs. Which kind of further blurs the line between what is core and what is setting-specific, for D&D.

I suppose it's one way of making sure that your players are using your rules with your settings... in theory, at least.

quote:

Ultimately, I think the only core [for 5e, perhaps] will be a hodge-podge of all the settings and the worlds Wizards decides to promote as part of the next edition of the game.

This is interesting and frightening at the same time... interesting because it suggests that they could (and should) be moving back to an interconnected model where travel between settings is possible; it only makes sense if you're homogenizing the ruleset across worlds. It's frightening because I have visions of that Frankenmap that was put together for 3e, with all of the major 2e/3e settings packed onto one Earth-sized world. But then, now that I think of it, I originally found that map under the title "4th edition Plan B"... I really hope that's not prophetic in any way.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  11:57:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not broken, but it was made in China...

Ssh. There might be Chinese in these halls....

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  11:59:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Not a bad idea, and likely would be the case if they want to totally distance 5e from the completely controversial(?) 4e.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  17:01:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't like to see something like that amalgam map I worked on awhile back.

However, more of a Planeswalker approach (from MtG) might work. That could be very interesting. I would love to have my old GH characters arrive in Waterdeep, and I am sure Sage wouldn't mind some of his FR characters visiting Krynn. This was possible in the past, but the methods were both convoluted (requiring entire other settings) and epically hard.

Maybe make the Realms 'Unforgotten'? Something like that - create a guild of 'world-walkers' and use them the way PF/Golarion uses the Pathfinder's Society? That could blow up in their face though - it would have to be done really, REALLY well.

And maybe connect it to Golarion? That would be Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Heh... I just realized something. Planescape would make a good basis for the 5e setting. Outside of a crystal sphere/world, time works differently - that could solve everything right there.

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jan 2012 00:01:36
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  17:21:14  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the old one to be honest, though the new one they made after, a little more stylized was also a fine art-work.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  18:07:39  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both logos are great

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And maybe connect it to Golarion? That would be Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Heh... I just realized something. Planescape would make a good basis for the 5e setting. Outside of a crystal sphere/world, time works differently - that could solve everything right there.

That's what I plan for the next campaign, Axis and Sigil to merge into one city.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  19:50:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be happy as long as we get to see some kind of Forgotten Realms logo on the novel covers.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000