Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Ed Greenwood's new Forgotten Realms comic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  15:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
quote:
Forgotten Realms Creator to Script New Ongoing Dungeons & Dragons®: Forgotten Realms® Comic Book Series
Ed Greenwood will be joined by artist Lee Ferguson and comic legend Sal Buscema on new series

San Diego, CA (January 17, 2012) – IDW Publishing, in cooperation with Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., is pleased to announce the all-new DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS ongoing comic book series, hitting shelves in April. Legendary writer Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms RPG campaign setting, will be scripting the comic--his first-ever ongoing Dungeons & Dragons comic series--and offering one lucky reader a once-in-a-lifetime chance to have his or her own character appear in the series!

Telling the tale of two all-new adventurers who find themselves caught up in a kidnapping plot they never wanted a part of, this series offers a fresh new jumping-on point for new readers and fans. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS features art by Lee Ferguson (G.I. JOE: Snake Eyes), inks by renowned comic artist Sal Buscema (The Incredible Hulk), and covers by acclaimed Dungeons & Dragons artists Tyler Walpole and Steve Ellis.

“Forty-five years ago, as a young kid sitting alone in a study crammed with books, I started creating the Forgotten Realms world,” said Greenwood. “And, well, I’m still at it. The Realms is a vast, colorful, exciting sandbox full of stories waiting to be told.”

Readers will have the opportunity to play in that sandbox, thanks to the Forgotten Realms Character Creation Contest offered by IDW and Wizards of the Coast. Eligible readers will have the opportunity to submit their D&D® character and one lucky winner will see it come to life in the hands of the Forgotten Realms creator. Chosen by Wizards of the Coast, IDW, and Greenwood, the winner will see his or her character appear in a future issue of the series, subject to the contest rules.

Given the opportunity to have your own character appear amid the non-stop action of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS, Greenwood quipped ,“you know the old saying about being careful what you wish for? Well, it applies to wishing for adventure, too!” For more details, visit the official Dungeons & Dragons website.

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS #1 ($3.99, 32 pages, full color) will be available in stores in April 2012. Diamond order code FEB120140.

Here's the character creation contest, and here's Lee Ferguson's blog. Lots of other sites are reporting on this announcement.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  15:26:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Here's the character creation contest,

I'd love to let Ed play with an publish a character of mine... But why the need for stats? It's a comic -- why isn't just some flavor text enough?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  15:59:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hmm. Sounds nice. Who knows, this might make me pick up a comics for the very first time.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  20:56:18  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats to Ed!

I've always wanted to break into comics, so I'm horribly, horribly jealous.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  01:17:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'd love to let Ed play with an publish a character of mine... But why the need for stats? It's a comic -- why isn't just some flavor text enough?

I've been speculating on that myself, and it does kind of make sense... in a way. Do remember that the DC Forgotten Realms comic book usually offered back-up sections by either Jeff Grubb or Jim Lowder which featured both lore and stats for NPCs included in a particular issue.

Maybe IDW is looking to do the same with their license of the material?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  17:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent news! I <3 comics and Ed. Now they're together? Solid gold.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  19:00:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Will Ed be writing this solely? Or should we expect more FR authors to surface in the later volumes?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  19:33:32  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is awesome! Does anyone know what year it is set in? (Praying for 1300s DR)! I may have to put one of my characters in (although my knowledge on creating 4th edition characters is limited to nothing!)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  19:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adventurers getting caught up in stuff is my favourite kind of Realms story (and one that's been oddly hard to find at times!). And if it has legs, an open-ended serial is a great opportunity for the full Dickensian entwining of plots rather than definite-end-and-beginning-of-discrete-arcs.

Oo, I could crush a grape. I've ordered IDW's Forgotten Realms Classics Volume 1 in a flush of good will, impatience, restitution and curiosity.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  20:20:57  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FR Classics Volume 1 is decent, but I think that series got better as time went on. The ToT kind of took over the book, but I like Labelas and Vartan!

I didn't like the story about the dragons and dragon killer (issues 5-8?) which is part 2 of Volume 1. The dragons were kind of silly and their dragon council seemed a bit ridiculously cartoonish. Tho I think Jeff Grub wrote Mist the red dragon from Azure Bonds as a silly daft dragon too, so that makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  01:42:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oo, I could crush a grape. I've ordered IDW's Forgotten Realms Classics Volume 1 in a flush of good will, impatience, restitution and curiosity.

I'll note that the IDW trade also includes the original RPG supplements that each supported some of the original individual DC comic issues as well.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  15:31:35  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

I've been speculating on that myself, and it does kind of make sense... in a way. Do remember that the DC Forgotten Realms comic book usually offered back-up sections by either Jeff Grubb or Jim Lowder which featured both lore and stats for NPCs included in a particular issue.

I'm leaning towards the same conclusion. The current D&D series had full stats for the main characters in the back.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  15:33:15  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

This is awesome! Does anyone know what year it is set in? (Praying for 1300s DR)! I may have to put one of my characters in (although my knowledge on creating 4th edition characters is limited to nothing!)

The rules for the contest lists the Neverwinter Campaign Guide, so I think some of the later issues will be in the 1400's.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  00:30:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm leaning towards the same conclusion. The current D&D series had full stats for the main characters in the back.

Ah. I didn't know the current lot of D&D comics from IDW offered game stats. I'm assuming they're 4e?

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  15:46:31  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup all of the main characters are statted in 4e terms. But an enterprising individual could loot their background lore and convert the items over to 3.75e.

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  02:59:29  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope they offer this up as a digital comic as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  03:34:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

I hope they offer this up as a digital comic as well.

More than likely. IDW already publishes some of their comic books via comiXology.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  21:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
IDW's April Solicitations!

Dungeons & Dragons: Forgotten Realms #1
Ed Greenwood (w) • Lee Ferguson & Sal Buscema (a) • Tyler Walpole, Steve Ellis (c)
FORGOTTEN REALMS creator Ed Greenwood opens the adventures of an unlikely new band of heroes who get into a bit more trouble than usual in the fabled port city of Waterdeep, but soon discover some of the seedier corners of the wider Realms—the hard way! Joined by artist Lee Ferguson (G.I. Joe: Snake Eyes), this new series kicks off a deadly tale with a kidnapping that is more—and less—than it seems…
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Variant covers:
Character Design cover!
Variant “bonus” edition, featuring the original

Bullet points:
• Forgotten Realms® setting creator Ed Greenwood writes this all-new ongoing series!
• Inks by legendary comic artist Sal Buscema!
• The regular D&D ongoing will continue—but this series offers a fresh new jumping-on point for new readers and D&D fans!

Dungeons and Dragons: Forgotten Realms 100 Page Spectacular
Ed Greenwood, Jeff Grubb (w) • Juanfran Moyano, Rags Morales (a)
Thrill to these classic tales of the Forgotten Realms, selected by creator Ed Greenwood! First, a thrilling 2-part adventure—adapted from Greenwood's own story “Elminster at the Magefair”! Plus two classic, genre-busting Forgotten Realms comics from the 1990s: "Head Cheeeese", in which the halfling Foxy battles a very case of... er, food poisoning? And a very unusual peek behind the curtain in "Everybody Wants to Run the Realms."
FC • 100 pages • $7.99

Bullet points:
Each tale features an all-new introduction from Ed Greenwood!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  21:58:35  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Faraer.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  00:27:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR #1 sounds really intriguing...

I'm less enthusiastic about the "100 Page Spectacular". I was never a huge fan of "Elminster at the Magefair," and I've long felt that new stories were a better option than comic-izing existing fiction. I was never a fan of the "Head Cheeeese" story, either -- and this will make the third time it's seen print! On the flip side, "Everybody Wants to Run the Realms" is one of my faves from the entire DC/TSR venture.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  00:59:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also liking Lee Ferguson's art these days.

Needless to say, I've already pre-ordered both of these issues. I've long been awaiting the opportunity to start my D&D comic book collection once again. Now is the time.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  20:14:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed tells me he's deep in scripting the third issue right now. And loving every minute of it.
He says: "A reader of this comic doesn't have to know anything about the Realms to follow and enjoy it. Young protagonists, lots of running around, and intrigue piling up behind everything. I'm having a blast!"

I'm going to enjoy this...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  01:09:45  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed tells me he's deep in scripting the third issue right now. And loving every minute of it.
He says: "A reader of this comic doesn't have to know anything about the Realms to follow and enjoy it. Young protagonists, lots of running around, and intrigue piling up behind everything. I'm having a blast!"

love,
THO

Something tells me that we need more Realms novels like this... several somethings, in fact... hopefully they're also haunting the powers that be in the novels department at WotC...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 15 Feb 2012 01:10:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  01:24:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

love,
THO

It's almost like falling in love with your first Realms tale all over again.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  04:03:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This eve, I went to the the comic book store that was once a major money sink for me. I'd been told that the comic would come out this day...

For some reason, it was postponed. I'm told it comes out May 9th.

They did have Pocky, though, so it wasn't a total bust. I've not had Pocky in several years, and my wife had never even heard of it...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Apr 2012 04:04:05
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  06:25:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up the 100 page FORGOTTEN REALMS SPECIAL comic book published by IDW this month. It's a nostalgic ride back into the early Realms comic tales of the 80's/90's.

Cool stuff!

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  15:56:11  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This eve, I went to the the comic book store that was once a major money sink for me. I'd been told that the comic would come out this day...

They did have Pocky, though, so it wasn't a total bust. I've not had Pocky in several years, and my wife had never even heard of it...

Thanks for the info. I wonder why they pushed it back?

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  16:04:47  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I picked up the 100 page FORGOTTEN REALMS SPECIAL comic book published by IDW this month. It's a nostalgic ride back into the early Realms comic tales of the 80's/90's.

Cool stuff!

The production quality is outstanding for an issue containing reprints. The materials used are strong, sturdy, and not inferior at all. This comic will last a long time and multiple reads on your shelf.

The IDW folk put alot of love into it.

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  16:06:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's likely a publishing conflict. IDW does have a history of problems with releasing certain type of comic books in their publishing schedule.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Apr 2012 16:07:42
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  16:08:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cool stuff!

The production quality is outstanding for an issue containing reprints. The materials used are strong, sturdy, and not inferior at all. This comic will last a long time and multiple reads on your shelf.

The IDW folk put alot of love into it.

Agreed. I bought two copies... one for storage and another for general reading. I like the fact that most of the tales contained within are largely stand-alone affairs too.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  16:50:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm curious about that myself, especially when you add in the fact that the 1E reprints were also supposed to come out this month, and then were pushed back to July...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000