Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 My own hellish hierarchy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  06:47:17  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am writing up my own hellish hierarchy and want to share. It is not written for a particular edition but assumes the existence of the great wheel cosmology system. My first write up is Zariel who I've never found a description of so I imagined my own. All I know that we know of her is that s(he?) was an Archduke before Bel overthrew her. I was inspired in my description by a painting of her I saw on deviant art that I can no longer locate, but saw a long time ago. It is more Planescape related but I hope you'll tolerate it here:

Lord of the First

Zariel the Fallen Angel

Realm: Baator - Avernus
Sphere: Despair, ignominy, regret, and betrayal.
Allies: Asmodeus
Enemies: Beelzebul
Devil servants: Erinyes, Advespa, lemures, abishai, and nupperibo.
“At first it appears a thing of beauty, the silhouette before you, until it draws nearer and you see the despair in her eyes. Her eyes are oily black, around them is the deep darkness that arises from exhaustion and defeat. They feel hollow even looking upon them. Seeing the despair within those dark orbs literally makes you feel cold and drained of life.

Her emaciated and scarred body seems distorted with unnatural with long thin limbs. Two tall spiraling horns sprout from her head, bleeding from where they burst forth, like a crown of thorns. A crown of shame. She has a tail with a strange fleshy human tail with a scorpion’s stinger sprouting from her tailbone that seems to move of its own accord. She wears thigh high black leather boots with dozens of leather straps bound what must be painfully tightly, adorned with spikes, and tiny skulls. Her body is wrapped in barbed wire that cuts her as she moves, a habit of black tries to cover her head, but falls because of her horns. She wears a tattered gown burnt black that now barely covers her and seems as if it might crumble away to ash at any moment.

She holds with one hand an enormous weapon. On one edge of it is a scythe, the other an enormous axe. The axe is stylized with a face screaming, its eyes contorted in anguish, and black ink tears somehow dribbling from its static moment of pain. She flies, or hovers as she does now, with wings that appear burnt and torn off from her, but re-assembled and attached to her body with spikes, clips, haphazard stitching. It is obvious that she has painted her skin an unnaturally pure white to hide its true colour, although that and her mascara runs from tears she has shed reveal a sickly yellow skin beneath. The brightest colour on her body are her lips that are painted an unsettling and jarring crimson red.”
Zariel is a relatively recent Lord of Hell. She rules over Avernus and holds the title “Queen of the Erinyes”. She was once a Solar of Mount Celestia tasked to keep chaos from tainting the seven heaven. She was corrupted by Beelzebul, when he was Lord of Hell, in his quest to unite heaven and hell within law. He told her, and believed himself, that together heaven and hell could cleanse the universe of chaos.

They became secret lovers and she birthed at least three warped beings from the union. She, like he once had, gathered followers and secretly she “let open the gates” of Celestia for his armies as he allowed hers to occupy Avernus. But their plans went awry when the other Lords of Hell betrayed him, just as he had betrayed many, and just as they saw betrayal in his proposed unity of heaven and hell. She was already declared Lord of Avernus by Beelzebul in secret, supplanting Tiamat (who truly did not care for the job, knew of the plan, had been bribed thoroughly, and now in theory serves under Zariel).

She is now eternally bitter over the failure, her foolishness and the transformation of her heavenly host into devils when they betrayed heaven. She feels betrayed both by heaven and despair over the loss of heaven. She hates herself, what her followers have become, and Beelzebul, in that order (although she still lusts for him). In her bitterness she now sides with Asmodeous, just as he had supplanted Beelzebul. She only wishes only to carry out her duty to her new world. She guards the first layer of hell, and the beings banished there. For her switching her allegiance to him Asmodeous declared her Queen of all the Erinyes, not just those who followed her into hell.

She has no real base of her own only moving from fortress to fortress of the baatezu involved in the blood war. Many observers believe she has a death wish and cares little for her own existence. Sometimes she even seems delusional, as if she is still the righteous Solar she once was. She is served only by her general Bel, Tiamat, and a cadre of thirteen extraordinarily powerful Erinyes handmaidens. Leaving most of the organization of the blood war to individual commanders and allowing the outcast devils to rule their own demesnes.

Her main concern is the Blood War and continuing the battle against chaos. Although evil herself she cares little for evil or good, and is renowned for allowing Lawful Good paladins free passage through Avernus, even aiding them at times. Her secondary concern is guarding over the ambitions of the outcast devils who are jailed within or banished to her realm. She cares little for advancement within the devilish hierarchy and does not attempt to corrupt souls.

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  06:58:19  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note: This Tiamat is a Devil/Baatezu like in first edition NOT a goddess.

And I'll be having the hierarchy as follows:

1. Avernus - Zariel
2. Dis - Dispater
3. Minauros - Mammon
4. Phlegethos – Fierna and Belial (co-rulers)
5. Stygia - Geryon
6. Malbolge – Lilith
7. Maladomini - Beelzebul
8. Cania - Mephistopheles
9. Nessus - Asmodeus

In the "Currently" that I am having it be set in Beelzebul and Mephistopheles are trying to defeat one another, in order to have the power to displace Asmodeous. Asmodeous is NOT the eternal overlord - there has been Lucifer, Satan, Astaroth, and Beelzebub at the very least before him. His power is not absolute like he is described many sourcebooks. There is the possibility of him being deposed to rule another layer, becoming a duke, archduke, or even an outcast devil.

Asmodeous is supported by: Zariel, and Geryon.
Beelzebub is supported by: Fierna/Belial, and Lilith.
Mephistopheles is supported by: Dispater and Mammon.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  16:36:08  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, I was hoping to hear if other sages thought this character sounded interesting, realistic, and so forth. I've personally never liked the idea of an ordinary devil ruling a plane.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  00:54:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dispater's always been a personal favourite.

I'm keen to see what you can do with him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  04:57:19  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this... I was never a fan of the big changes in leadership that happened (I can't recall the name of the event right now), but the only thing different in my Hells is Moloch as co-ruler of the sixth with Lilith. Moloch was always one of my fave archdevils; not sure why.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  06:29:56  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I view hell as having lots of changes in leadership because they are constantly scheming against one another. This would be pre-shake-up "Reckoning of Hell" (of which there must have been many). I am still assuming Bel/Bael will betray Zariel, for example, but in the future.

I don't know if I could have an original perspective on Dispater. I was more hoping to share original ideas. Zariel was never described, really. Writing up Dispater seems like it would just be combining different elements others have thought of for Dispater and regurgitating them.

I considered making Moloch co-ruler with Lilith in my notes (on paper). However, I don't really understand Moloch and wouldn't know how to describe or portray him. What is he a metaphor for? I don't understand his goals or reason for being important. Jakk could you tell me your thoughts on him? I have titlted him "Archduke of Torment, Hater of Children" basing this on real world historical accounts of Moloch...and his picture always having him holding a whip.

I have conflated the Seven Deadly sins of the real world European medieval sort with the devils as follows:

Asmodeus (Pride)
Beelzebul (Envy) (My first instinct is always to write Baalzebul)
Dispater (Sloth)
Nannin (Greed)
Geryon (Anger/Wrath)
Lilith (Lust)
Belial (Gluttony - although i'm not really sure that fits)

Mephistopheles could also be prideful, and Zariel Envious.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  06:37:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might suggest three more cardinal sins: Cowardice, Disloyalty/Treachery/Lies, and Sagely Procrastination.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  06:44:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

... and Sagely Procrastination.
Oooo! So does that also mean I get a separate level of Hell to rule over as my own?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Jan 2012 06:45:26
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  07:02:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Layer of Hell The Tenth: Candlekeep.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  07:52:52  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We who secretly dictate the actions of even Asmodeous.

Zariel would be an obvious entity to be the embodiment of betrayal. I don't realy feel like Dispater is slothful, I labelled him as such after reading a fan made description of hell.

I just found on wikipedia that there were in fact devil/demons associated with each sin.
Maybe I should investigate devils and hells from non-european mythologies.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  07:55:00  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the Asmodeous were deposed, who should win? Beelzebul, Mephistopheles, or some outcast devil?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  08:23:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meph is apparently Asmodeus's chief rival, and early lore stated he was technically the most powerful devil but constrained by law to serve Asmodeus. He also ate more Realms god than Asmodeus.

Baal is a distant third, Asmodeus and Meph have both smacked Baal down on several occasions.

Of course, each Archdevil is supreme within his own domain and layer; even Asmodeus demands the others attend his court in Nessus, he rarely ventures to Cania for any reason.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:34:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

I view hell as having lots of changes in leadership because they are constantly scheming against one another. This would be pre-shake-up "Reckoning of Hell" (of which there must have been many). I am still assuming Bel/Bael will betray Zariel, for example, but in the future.

I don't know if I could have an original perspective on Dispater. I was more hoping to share original ideas. Zariel was never described, really. Writing up Dispater seems like it would just be combining different elements others have thought of for Dispater and regurgitating them.

I considered making Moloch co-ruler with Lilith in my notes (on paper). However, I don't really understand Moloch and wouldn't know how to describe or portray him. What is he a metaphor for? I don't understand his goals or reason for being important. Jakk could you tell me your thoughts on him? I have titlted him "Archduke of Torment, Hater of Children" basing this on real world historical accounts of Moloch...and his picture always having him holding a whip.

I have conflated the Seven Deadly sins of the real world European medieval sort with the devils as follows:

Asmodeus (Pride)
Dispater (Sloth)
Nannin (Greed)
Geryon (Anger/Wrath)
Lilith (Lust)

Mephistopheles could also be prideful, and Zariel Envious.

IIRC, Moloch is a better representative for Greed; he was one of the original pre-monotheist Hebrew pantheon, and his name is translated as "king", but I believe that he was often associated with the moneylenders. If anyone else has more information on the ancient Hebrew pantheon and Moloch in particular, I think it's safe to say that MrHedgehog and I are both very interested.

Your first instinct is right about Baalzebul's spelling. There's more background on his name (which was, at one point, Beelzebub, which might be where your confusion comes from) in Tyrants of the Nine Hells, as well as in the first-edition Monster Manual II (if you can find it).

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 20 Jan 2012 23:39:34
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  18:32:52  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And since semitic languages don't include vowels it is hard to be certain which vowel sounds to produce :S (I've heard) Although obviously we are not using semitic phonotactics when constructing their names but anglicizing them it would still just be guessing as to the vowel sounds of original writings on that entity.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  02:57:09  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New Devil:

"Labartu are an unusual new devil native to Malbolge that seeks to control childbirth in the mortal coil. They care little for the hells or the blood war. They were created by Lilith and given over to the care of the Midwife of Abominations in her task of creating Lemures, who is in turn one of Lilith's vassals. In the mortal world they go to communities and encourage people not to reproduce diplomatically, at first, or with terror when that does not succeed. They are experts at convincing women they cannot care for a child, providing tips on sexual acts that do not result in procreation, and performing abortions. If they do not succeed at this they appear in their true forms to try to steal away children to the hells, hopefully on a large scale. The exception for this is in those rare communities who’s souls might end up in the lower planes in which case they attempt to encourage the people to live fast, breed fast, and die fast, hopefully in large numbers. Kidnapped children are often consumed or if possible brought to hell to be used for various purposes, such as breeding mortal slaves, or being consumed into the fleshy landscapes of the Malbolge. They naturally appear as female humanoid creatures covered in hair, with bloated bellies that resembles pregnancy but is in fact fat, a deformed donkey-lion head, and unnaturally long fingers and fingernails. They are adept shape shifters, however, and rarely appear in this form when traversing the mortal coil."

Based: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamashtu

I might make statistics, or just assume the same statistics as an Erinyes.

Edited by - MrHedgehog on 11 Feb 2012 02:59:01
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  18:59:04  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Asmodeus (Pride)
Dispater (Sloth)
Nannin (Greed)
Geryon (Anger/Wrath)
Lilith (Lust)

Like the idea of matching seven sins to seven devil rulers of Seven Hells.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000