Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 My own mechanics [Work In Progress]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  16:59:50  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Link - http://treskri.wikidot.com/mechanika-dla-treskri.

It's in Polish right now, but it's so little text that Google Translate can cope.

I could use your input.

The ruleset is not yet named, nor is it finished.
Zi

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  18:47:56  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, Zireal (wait, maybe it's me that's been away). Ha ha. Been keeping busy I see.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  18:39:13  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Just what I do in my free time.

One more class added, attributes compared to RL abilities, several sample characters...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2012 :  18:43:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to translate this into English when I have the time, and see what I can use.

As per your request (and I hope you don't mind me posting this here), here is a very rough chart of how I picture the alignment system working.

After I was about 75% done (and was thinking about how this was going to work), I realized I should have made Law & Good be on the negative end of the spectrum. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but I realize I need to break alignment into two separate stats - Taint (Evil) and Corruption (Chaos), hence, the positive numbers should be on the bad ends of the spectrum. Just reverse the numbers - sorry about the confusing presentation; my natural tendency was to put the 'good' in the positives. When I have something better then Paint to work with, I'll build a more cohesive model.

Anyhow, humans start out at '0' - you are born dead center of the target. Other races can start-out with a plus or minus 5-10, if you want (ie, halflings might get +5 to good, but a -5 to chaos). As you move in either direction along the axis, you become more like your alignment. The first ring would indicate 'tendencies', the second 'proclivities', and when you pass the third line you are 'of' that alignment (Good, Evil, Law, & Chaos). You begin to attract the attention of like-minded beings after each line is crossed, and the higher the line crossed, the more powerful the beings noticing you.

The numbers represent actual percentages - you can be both 100% evil and 100% chaotic (or 100% good & lawful). This gives us a physical number DMs can use as a stat when determining various things (like reaction modifiers, etc). The DM can also give a bonus or assign negatives as the case warrants, at the end of each session -

"Bob - that was pretty awful what you did back there. I know you were just trying to get information, but torturing that villager was pretty damn low - (rolls 1d6) - you get 5 added to your Taint score." (a -5 on my chart)

In this way, DMs can determine precisely how far a character has sunk, and players who need to worry about such things (Paladins, etc) would have number they can work with to 'redeem themselves'.

So the 2 new stats would be Taint and Corruption. On an average Paladin they might look something like this -

Dudlee of Dooride
Taint: -42% (+42 on my chart)
Corruption: -37% (+37 on my chart)

He is doing okay in regards to his 'goodliness', but he better work on his erratic behavior - if he falls under the 35 mark he may have to 'atone for his sins'.

The stats can also be used to determine if a deity 'answers your prayers'; in this case, it behaves a lot like HP in that it can 'take hits'. You take the number and roll d100 - you want to fall-out below the number (whether negative or positive) to determine if something helps you. You also lose 5 points every time you do this ("god helps those who help themselves"), regardless of whether you recieve the help or not. This means characters should only use this in a dire emergency.

It needs some tweaking - I would think weaker characters should actually have fiends 'answer their prayers' fairly easy, and add corruption (rather then take it away). That part needs work (some sort of 'possession' should be the end-result of over-using fiendish help).

Anyhow, thats the gist of what I am working on for an alignment system. I prefer hard numbers so DMs have another tool to reign-in players who are out of control (ie, Paladins who torture folk "for the greater good").

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Feb 2012 22:10:40
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  12:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting.

The alignment issue, manevuers and some fluff are the only things that are left to be done.

Do you think these mechanics could work in your Realms game?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  18:42:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure - I've been using this for awhile (in my head - this was the first time I tried putting it to paper).

The idea is that there are two separate paths down which a character can 'fall' in D&D - evil & chaos. Devils and demons work hard all the time to get folks to take these paths, and the 'forces of good' work hard to keep people on the 'straight and narrow'.

I haven't put the 4e dynamics into the equation - demons are supposedly 'fallen elementals' now. This might be a good thing for my mechanics - I haven't really studied it too closely as of yet.

This system is part of a larger divine system I have, which includes 'areas of control' (regions deities receive a lot of worship), and the effects of temples, relics, rituals, etc. Priests can inflate their score by performing certain duties for the church (or cult, in the case of evil beings).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Feb 2012 18:43:16
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  14:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) HP renamed to Stamina Points. 1/2 and other fractions changed to be the full number of advantages.
2) Compulsory training introduced.
3) Trying to decide which dice are the best.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  20:18:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Good choice with Stamina - I went that way as well (one of the reasons I give more HP is because Mages 'burn through' HP when doing spells).

2) Another good call

3) I am working on d6 system myself, simply because I want my (eventual) rules to be in netbok format, and offer them for FREE on the web. The idea is to get more folks playing P&P RPGs, and having 'proprietary dice' is not a great way to get new players interested in the game.

I want to make it as easy as downloading the rules, and taking some (normal) dice out of their Monopoly or Risk game.

I want to also incorporate cards for battle, but haven't really gone beyond the idea stage. Something akin to how Warmachine handles combat, but only for NPCs and monsters. Put plastic covers on the cards, and then use dry-erase markers to record damage - I always felt that was an elegant solution (way better then how combat works in Warhammer).

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Feb 2012 20:20:51
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  20:03:37  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I want to make it as easy as downloading the rules, and taking some (normal) dice out of their Monopoly or Risk game.

That's exactly why I added the 3d6 option...

------------------------

Money system added.

Any ideas what I could add/improve? I repeat, Google Translate allows you to read the system as it is now.

I'm thinking of tweaking the way attributes work.
1) maybe one attribute governs defense and the other attack - a bit like in Legend
2) maybe give a choice of the attribute from two (Str vs. Con; Int vs. Wis; Dex vs. Cha) - a bit like 4e

I want every attribute to be useful in a way.

I'll have to work on describing each of the class in flavor terms.

Today, I added starvation/thirst and suffocation rules.
I'm thinking of adding the aristocrat class at last and the templates (half-fiend, half-fey, vampire, etc. etc.).

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  10:27:40  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Any ideas what I could add/improve? I repeat, Google Translate allows you to read the system as it is now.
Could as well add a link.
What it lacks is the mission statement: what you're trying to achieve, what known pitfalls you're trying to avoid, etc.
And without any goals in clear sight, telling what would be improvement and what detrimential isn't obvious.
Just like with existing rules: ones that are any good are better for tasks they were made for and much less shiny on the other sides. If you want a detailed injuries model and extensibility, you'd be better off with PO: Combat & Tactics, if you're after fencing choreography and fast pacing, Spellbound Kingdoms combat rules are very good for that.
It's impossible to embrace everything at once and if you'll try to run the core in half a dozen opposite directions at the same time, it may end up not being good for anything specific at all.
Because glueing different elements together without checking with a purpose results in an unusable abstract sculpture. In software, that's how Unity was created: a pile of "shiny" GUI elements visually appealing to Mac fanboys, full of random features, half of which is dubious at best and putting which together doesn't even make any sober sense at all, mostly unusable. Let this be a lesson for us all.
Thus, write down your priorities and basic concepts explicitly.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  19:44:00  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What it lacks is the mission statement: what you're trying to achieve, what known pitfalls you're trying to avoid, etc.

Thanks for reminding me - oops, forgot to post these:

The goals of the project are as follows:
1) remove the Linear Warriors Quadratic Wizards effect
2) remove the clunky tables (too much math)
3) retain the race-class-skill-feat system of the d20 and the use of the d20 dice
4) focus equally on combat and non-combat
5) make it easier for newbies than D&D

-----------------------

Main features:
- lack of levels
- saving throws as in D&D
- attributes as in D&D, but replaced by the modifiers
- Stamina Points representing the character's stamina
- action points instead of the minor/move/full-round
- a varied selection of class and race as in D&D
- 'advantages' bought for XP
- XP given by the DM as he wishes
- some of the more powerful 'advantages' require ranks (a certain number of XP has to be spent earlier)
- no criticals, no random damage dice
- no spell failure
- changed armor check penalties
- advancement paths for given classes
- less skills than in D&D (16 for now)
- every class (fighter and magic-user to use the AD&D terminology) uses the same system
- every class has access to manevuers (a bit of a cross between Tome of Battle and 4e)
- XP price for some potentially unbalancing spells (scry, teleport etc.)

P.S. Thanks for the link to a GT-translated version.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  19:19:22  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any commments?

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  16:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of stuff added, including templates (planetouched, half-fiends, the descendant of the gods), outsiders. Reworked proficiency. Added a bit on magical items...

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  11:46:07  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of DM-side rules added (encumbrance, poisons, and the like).

Uses for both Intelligence and Charisma added.

Some things I need input on:
1) Split offense and defense and use different attributes for them?
2) Allow choosing an attribute for the offense/defense from pairs (Str vs. Con; Int vs. Wis; Dex vs. Cha)?
3) A use for Charisma
4) Merge XP and gp together like in OD&D?
5) Dodge and parry like in Conan RPG?

Comment, please, folks!

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  18:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of rescaling the attributes and skills scale to a 1-100 scale.

I'm thinking of using several d6s and keeping the numbers and adding a bonus from the 1-100 scale.

Also, I want to detach combat skills from classes/number of "advantages" and I want to reduce "advantages", especially those that only give +x bonus.

In the future, I might consider removing classes altogether.

Therefore, I need help about the dice mechanics. Detaching combat will come next once I have worked out the dice.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  18:59:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love D100 systems myself (like Rolemaster), but it takes from the simplicity I myself would shoot for (keeping everything a D6 roll).

Being able to instantly generate percentages for stuff is great, but you loose the whole ease-of-use thing.

I still have to work on converting this to English.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  20:06:20  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I love D100 systems myself (like Rolemaster), but it takes from the simplicity I myself would shoot for (keeping everything a D6 roll).

Being able to instantly generate percentages for stuff is great, but you loose the whole ease-of-use thing.

I still have to work on converting this to English.

A scale of from 1 - extremely lousy to 100 - god-like does not mean using d100 :P

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  12:37:26  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't use such a scale, after all. However, I switched to d6 everywhere and I redid the skills list, putting combat skills (parry, dodge, melee attack, ranged attack) to decouple combat skills from classes.

Next step: probably get rid of classes.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2012 :  08:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tweaked some more things.

Right now, I'm going to cut down on the number of classes.

Aristocrat, druid, cleric, rogue, fighter, monk and wizard will stay. Can the other classes be made 'advancement paths' for those?

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2012 :  17:31:09  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a parry system since 2nd edition, which work just as well in 3rd edition, but I couldn't tell you where it is from. Basically, a fighter could forfeit one or many attacks at his turn. If he was subject to a melee or ranged attack before his next turn, the attacks he forfeited could be rolled normally to parry them, to a maximum of one parry attempt possible per incoming attack. If the result of the parry was equal or above the attack, this attack would be parried and no damage would be dealt. All non used parry were lost at his next turn.

That's the basic idea, many modifiers and sub-rules are used, i.e. bonus for parrying with a 2-handed weapon, or a penalty for parrying an incoming attack from a larger creature.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  15:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've finally done a major overhaul of profession (class) system: only 9 classes remained - rogue, fighter, marshal, psychic warrior and ranger; bard, wizard, cleric and druid.

I've cleaned advantages up to make the choices clearer.

And a knight is now an advancement path.

I'm wondering what should I do with marshal and psychic warrior. I'll probably roll marshal into an advancement path for warrior. What to do with psionics...?

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  09:57:10  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marshal made into an advancement path. Further advantages clean-up.

And a major breakthrough when it comes to character creation: creating a character now costs points (20 at start). You use these points to choose your race, profession and advantages.

EDIT: I'm probably going to redo the first post, that is, the main qualities of the ruleset, since these have changed quite a lot...

Edited by - Zireael on 26 Jun 2012 09:58:55
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  09:29:09  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://translate.google.com/translate?ie=UTF-8&sl=auto&tl=en&u=treskri.wikidot.com/mechanika-dla-treskri - a Google Translated version

The goals of the project are as follows:
1) remove the Linear Warriors Quadratic Wizards effect
2) remove the clunky tables (too much math)
3) retain the race-class-skill-feat system of the d20
4) focus equally on combat and non-combat
5) make it easier for newbies than D&D

Main features:
- use of d6
- point buy to determine attributes
- point buy to create character (somewhat like L5R)
- lack of levels
- saving throws as in D&D
- attributes as in D&D, but replaced by the modifiers
- HP representing the character#8217;s stamina
- action points instead of the minor/move/full-round
- body parts specified for damage as an optional rule
- #8216;advantages#8217; bought for XP
- XP given by the DM as he wishes
- some of the more powerful #8216;advantages#8217; require ranks (a certain number of XP has to be spent earlier)
- no criticals, no random damage dice
- no spell failure
- changed armor check penalties
- advancement paths for given classes
- completely remade skill list
- use for every attribute
- non-combat advantages exist
- tweaked item and equipment prices
- every class (fighter and magic-user to use the AD&D terminology) uses the same system
- every class has access to manevuers (a bit of a cross between Tome of Battle and 4e)

- using manevuers (whether they be spells or not) requires you to be in your deity#8217;s favor
- XP price for some potentially unbalancing spells (scry, teleport etc.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000