Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Artist Scribes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  17:21:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a few homebrew monsters which were created under 2E rules and would love to see a visual representation of them. My artistic skills falls far short of being able to do this myself, so I was wondering if there are any fellow scribes out there with the ability/desire to do this. Simple pencil sketching would be fine, nothing crazy...akin to what you would find in the various monstrous manuals. If anyone is interested please post here or PM me and i can give you the specifics for the monsters.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  17:28:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to ask around DeviantArt - I got illustrations for my next CKC article that way (which unfortunately never saw the light of day, but thats another story).

OH CRAP!!!!

I just realized... that art is gone now.

{banging head against a wall}

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  17:34:22  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Send contact info via PM. I'm willing to take a crack at it. I've been sketching marks for the various Sabban(s) (middle-eastern type sub-division of a city ward) of Calimshan all morning as I'm penning a Guide to Calimshan for use in my home game.

Yes, it's very slow at work today which is a good thing - it means no aircraft have crashed.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  17:41:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been told that many artists on DeviantArt will take commissions, sometimes for free, sometimes in exchange for no-cost services, I suppose it's all up for negotiation and modest PayPal investments can lubricate schedules quite efficiently if your project is serious. Although I haven't yet had any luck with any of the artists I've approached.

I have been given an explanation by one artist that my particular requests (a detailed sort of Gith race) are more difficult to produce than the sort of "common" races and monsters seen throughout fantasy art. But I didn't accept this as valid for anything more than the artist attempting to be excused away or attempting to solicit a bribe.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  19:08:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You might want to ask around DeviantArt - I got illustrations for my next CKC article that way (which unfortunately never saw the light of day, but thats another story).

OH CRAP!!!!

The artist likely still has copies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  01:33:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

I have a few homebrew monsters which were created under 2E rules and would love to see a visual representation of them. My artistic skills falls far short of being able to do this myself, so I was wondering if there are any fellow scribes out there with the ability/desire to do this. Simple pencil sketching would be fine, nothing crazy...akin to what you would find in the various monstrous manuals. If anyone is interested please post here or PM me and i can give you the specifics for the monsters.

I've some artistic skill, as one of my articles in the Candlekeep Compendium demonstrates. [Can't recall which volume off-hand.]

I could attempt to draft some monster images for you, but I really need to know what type of time-frame you're working under. You've probably been here long enough now to know and appreciate SageTime.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  05:24:09  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Sage
If not, your title of Procrastinator Most High might be a +5 circumstance bonus on a Sense Motive check.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  05:44:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Procrastinator is a fell beast indeed.

Its not so much its mighty jaws or fearsome claws that make brave men turn to jelly.....

Its the insufferable waiting around for it to attack that drives most men insane.

Warrior {whispering to companions}: "when the hell is it going to do something? We've been standing here like this for hours, and all it does is stare at us!"

Creature: "Do not fear, impatient one... you are on my to-do list."

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Jan 2012 18:02:01
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  06:03:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Its not so much its mighty jaws or fearsome claws that make brave men turn to jelly.....

Its the insufferable waiting around for it to attack that drives most men insane.

Warrior {whispering to comapnions}: "when te hell is it going to do something? We've been standing here like this for hours, and all it does is stare at us!"

And Markus wins the internets for today.

[Note:- I'm making a copy of this, because I know the family will find it rip-roaringly amusing.]

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Jan 2012 06:04:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  13:42:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Warrior {whispering to comapnions}: "when te hell is it going to do something? We've been standing here like this for hours, and all it does is stare at us!"

And Markus wins the internets for today.

[Note:- I'm making a copy of this, because I know the family will find it rip-roaringly amusing.]

Agreed! Many points for this one -- it's easily better than most of my frequent jabs at friend Sage.

(Though I am the one that suggested the title change for him! )

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Jan 2012 13:42:45
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  14:11:57  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always larn new stuff in 'ere, didn't know the word procrastinator until now, and I realised it defines me quite well.....

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  15:54:34  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I've some artistic skill, as one of my articles in the Candlekeep Compendium demonstrates. [Can't recall which volume off-hand.]

I could attempt to draft some monster images for you, but I really need to know what type of time-frame you're working under. You've probably been here long enough now to know and appreciate SageTime.

Not in any big hurry, i need to dig up my files first...which is a mini quest by itself

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  18:01:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EDIT: Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your servingwenches... and try the Rothe.
Only read the rest of the thread just now.

As for the excellent artist who's services I was able to acquire -

What I did was look at LOTS of DeviantART, typing in various key-words pertaining to what I was looking for, found an existing piece of art that was fairly close to what I wanted, and asked the artist if I could modify and use it. Note that you have to find art that wasn't already commissioned by someone; although modifying it in any way technically makes it a derivative piece, its still considered 'bad form', and most artists won't do it (you lose future business pulling slimey crap like that).

Anyhow, the artist got back to me right away, and said she wouldn't mind making the modifications herself, but didn't want me 'tinkering' with it. I told her what I needed (take the points off the ears, etc), and she sent it back to me. She was actually excited that it was going to appear in a CKC (she is a D&D player but not an FR player, and she is aware of the setting).

It helped that I mentioned some of the contributors went on to become official designers in their own right (everyone wants their 10 minutes of fame).

My point is, if you can find something along the lines of what you were looking for, or at least an artist that does something in the same venue (Elves, Cthulhu-esque, gothic, faeries, etc), its easier for them to modify an existing piece, and they will probably be more receptive to your offer. At least, that's been my experience. I had tried many, and most didn't even get back to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

OH CRAP!!!!

The artist likely still has copies.
Its a good thing I saved all of her information of that same computer, then.

Seriously, looking for her now would be like looking for a needle in haystack.

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Jan 2012 18:05:42
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  01:48:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not in any big hurry, i need to dig up my files first...which is a mini quest by itself

Fair enough. Let me know once you're ready, and I'll see what kind of time-frame I have to work with.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  01:55:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually ... I'd like to spamvertise a recent (and imperfect but still amazingly powerful, good, and useful) new feature on Google's Image Search. If you click on the little camera icon in the search box you'll be prompted to upload an image from your computer; this image becomes the "search parameters" which google looks for, it automatically finds the exact image, resized/truncated/expanded versions of the image (when yours is cropped), photoshopped alterations of the image (when yours has been modified with basic colour-balance, light-filters, orientation, blurring or sharpness, etc), even a plentitude of images which are different yet substantially similar in overall appearance or content.

Just submit any artwork you have archived on your computer and google will locate the artist for you, along with any number of similar artworks (and artists) for you to peruse.

[Edit]

I have found this to be uncanny in immediately identifying brands and logos, in my case the cryptic little symbols on photographed electronic components. It's also quite excellent at identifying fonts and typesets with just a single scanned character (or text cropped from a screenshot) as a sample.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Jan 2012 02:01:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000