Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Netheril Retcon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lady Swiftstrike Assassin
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  14:56:02  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Delete Topic
With 5e on the horizon, do you think that WotC should remove the Netheril retcon?

Netheril was not mentioned in the OGB... but then, all of the sudden (to sell the Arcane Age supplements, perhaps?) we are told that the history of the Realms was not as we were lead to believe, but that an ancient society of 'Arcanists' cleaved mountains in twain and flew around with nigh-god-like power...

So what are your thoughts on eliminating the Netheril retcon?

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  15:06:30  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
I personally do not think that anything that has been added (via retcon or other means) should be excised from the Current Era Realms (CER). No matter that there are some that hate these additions, there are some that also love them. Also, we saw how much that pissed people off with the advent of 4e, when they decided to remove what some deemed as "un-Realmsian" cities/states/continents from the Realms. And whether or not Netheril was mentioned in the Old Grey Box (OGB), it is by far one of the most native-to-the-Realms entities that I have seen.

EDIT: And by the way, I think that we here at the 'Keep should stop trying to figure out what bits we want to be removed from the Realms (esp the 4e Realms); instead we need to look at how we can move forward (whether it be 5 or 500 years) and heal the wounds that have been created. Trying to retcon things out will just create more wounds. And that is not what the Realms need, in 5e or any other edition.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 11 Jan 2012 15:11:12
Go to Top of Page

Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  15:12:35  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message
What do you mean by native-to-the-Realms, Hawkins?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  15:37:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

No. Netheril has to remain...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  16:19:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
See retcon.

This has been discussed before within the keep, many times in many scrolls. So-called "Pre-RSEs" are established in the background lore and do nothing to contradict or invalidate the current setting. They might introduce historical depth but they have little impact on the present, aside from ruffling up the historians and archeologists.

Netheril was indeed given name and the very briefest of descriptions (ancient civilization of immense magical power, somehow destroyed, now just piles of ruins in a magical desert-wasteland) by Ed as just one of those interesting oddities in the Realms. More of an excuse to have a big dangerous desert full of old ruins (populated by magical monsters and treasures) to entertain players near the Heartlands with some Indiana Jones playstyle, I think. Most of the Arcane Ages Netheril lore was established after the "present" Realms setting had already moved through the Time of Troubles and late 2E, it was all additive, entirely fabricated - yet it did nothing to invalidate the existing setting. The only retcons it inflicted would be whatever modifications individual DMs needed to implement after they'd already homebrewed their own Netheril-era lore.

Netheril was well-received and has since grown into a cornerstone of Realmslore; it's the origin of the Shadovar and tons of other things which have directly affected the "modern" Realms. For anyone who was introduced to Realmslore circa-3E or later, Netheril is an accepted and uncontested part of the setting. It's now so popularly entrenched that removing it would be an unwise decision.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 11 Jan 2012 16:28:34
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  17:31:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Swiftstrike Assassin

What do you mean by native-to-the-Realms, Hawkins?

Mulhorand, Unther, and Maztica where all considered to not be native-to-the-Realms by the 4e FR design team (and many fans) because they were all basically real world cultures transplanted to the Realms. So, in their ham-fisted (IMO) changes they decided to remove these areas and replace them with places transplanted from Abeir.

That is another thing, since they decided to make Abeir a separate world from Toril (from 2e on, I think, Abeir-Toril was just the name of the planet itself), I think we deserve some better detailing of not only Toril, but Abeir as well.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  17:51:11  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Netheril is indeed mentioned in the Old Grey Box, and had been established long before then as an origin of ancient magic spells and items. The rough outline of the narrative in slade's boxed set is as Ed always had it: it's not so much retcon as addition of some dubious concepts and details (while infamously failing to use Ed's notes), which later design work (especially in Lost Empires of Faerūn) worked to quietly fix -- for instance, establishing High and Low Netheril and de-emphasizing the flying cities.

Edited by - Faraer on 11 Jan 2012 17:55:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  18:00:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Netheril was created by Ed, before the Realms was published. It is not a retcon.

Lots of things created by Ed were not in the OGB. That doesn't make them retcons.

And lots of things were created by later authors and designers, and seemlessly plugged into the setting. If prior lore is not being contradicted, it's not a retcon -- and the failure to mention something does not mean it doesn't exist.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  18:34:07  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
Netheril must stay.

that undead soceity must go

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  18:38:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Netheril must stay.

I agree on the first, but disagree on the latter. Szas Tam needs to have a little taste of total power. Also, Thay's the only undead-infested realm in Toril...so it's unique, in a twisted way.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  19:27:53  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Thay is pretty alright with Szass Tam as a ruler. I just wish the Red Wizards were actually still there with him, under his control or whatever other reason. Now they're just a bunch of merchants and junk peddlers. I suppose it would be easily fixable, but the two powers I would like back are the Zhentarim and Red Wizards of Thay. The Zhents would be easy, just have Manshoon move into Darkhold. The Red Wizards, I'm not so sure how to fix that, but I hope they do. I remember a time when it was terrifying to fight a Red Wizard. Netheril is somewhat ok IMO, but they probably shouldn't have annihilated Zhentil Keep and the Citadel of the Raven and I'm still not sure how I feel about them "owning" Sembia.
Go to Top of Page

Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  21:08:49  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Netheril was created by Ed, before the Realms was published. It is not a retcon.

Lots of things created by Ed were not in the OGB. That doesn't make them retcons.

And lots of things were created by later authors and designers, and seemlessly plugged into the setting. If prior lore is not being contradicted, it's not a retcon -- and the failure to mention something does not mean it doesn't exist.

But Netheril does not appear in the OGB... So, in a nutshell, the Realms of 1357 DR were detailed, then later, we were told that things that happened in the past were not as they were originally presented. How is this any, less of a retcon than saying that in the ancient past the gods warred with primordials?

Edited by - Lady Swiftstrike Assassin on 11 Jan 2012 21:10:19
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  21:16:04  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:

quote:

But Netheril does not appear in the OGB... So, in a nutshell, the Realms of 1357 DR were detailed, then later, we were told that things that happened in the past were not as they were originally presented. How is this any, less of a retcon than saying that in the ancient past the gods warred with primordials?

In fact, there are several references to Netheril in the Old Gray Box (1E Realms). Read the section on the Lonely Moor / Darkhold.

They couldn't print everything they had eventually planned for Netheril in the first Realms sourcebook, obviously. They still have stacks and stacks of Ed's lore that hasn't yet seen the light of day.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  21:21:56  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Netheril must stay.

I agree on the first, but disagree on the latter. Szas Tam needs to have a little taste of total power. Also, Thay's the only undead-infested realm in Toril...so it's unique, in a twisted way.

uUMM NO
I did not mean thay.

the one that came to toril from returned Abeir.

that undead soceity.

Thay is awesome for evil

Emince of aruant neeeds to go away.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  22:00:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I half-wonder if one day somebody will inherit Ed's lore and publish it as a compiled Edmarillion saga ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  22:08:26  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message
Bah. I never liked the Shades or Netheril...

... but keep 'em, simply because I want to see more flesh on the bone.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  22:31:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
You know what? I was going to reply, here, but I've decided not to. We've played this game before, and I'm not playing it again.

Go to Top of Page

Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  22:40:25  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message
Wow! You are partially correct, Therise! Netheril is mentioned, twice, in the OGB!

So what about the Sarruhk? And Imaskar? HUGE retcons there... what do you guys think? Should Imaskar and the Sarruhk/Creator Races be eliminated from the 5e Realms, due to their place in the continuity being retroactive?

quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

quote:

In fact, there are several references to Netheril in the Old Gray Box (1E Realms). Read the section on the Lonely Moor / Darkhold.

They couldn't print everything they had eventually planned for Netheril in the first Realms sourcebook, obviously. They still have stacks and stacks of Ed's lore that hasn't yet seen the light of day.

Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  23:03:32  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message
quote:
Should Imaskar and the Sarruhk/Creator Races be eliminated from the 5e Realms, due to their place in the continuity being retroactive?

Why should they, Brace? And how are they retroactive?

Edited by - Imp on 11 Jan 2012 23:05:55
Go to Top of Page

Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  23:12:39  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message
Brace? Are you referring to me, Imp?
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  23:14:26  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message
Why aren't you answering my questions, Brace?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  23:30:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
It's sock puppet show time.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  23:35:57  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

It's sock puppet show time.

What?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  23:42:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I believe you're miscasting your Power Word: Retcon spell.

Adding new content - even if it's historically additive material which fills in gaps in the lore - is not a retcon.

Asserting something is canon, then later adding canon which blatantly contradicts it, while either fabricating improbable reasons why new-canon-is-true old-canon-was-a-lie or simply pretending the old canon never existed ... that's a retcon. Not writing history, but rewriting it. Retcon itself is a newish term, people used to say Orwellian.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  23:45:27  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message
Oh, cool! By that definition, the whole Abeir/Toril twin worlds thing is not a retcon.

Thanks, tiger!

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I believe you're miscasting your Power Word: Retcon spell.

Adding new content - even if it's historically additive material which fills in gaps in the lore - is not a retcon.

Asserting something is canon, then later adding canon which blatantly contradicts it, while either fabricating improbable reasons why new-canon-is-true old-canon-was-a-lie or simply pretending the old canon never existed ... that's a retcon. Not writing history, but rewriting it. Retcon itself is a newish term, people used to say Orwellian.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  00:00:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Obviously there's little point in continuing if we refuse to agree on terminology.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  00:11:04  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message
Typical of Brace.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  00:16:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Obviously there's little point in continuing if we refuse to agree on terminology.

Agreed. We've travelled this road before.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  01:24:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

So what about the Sarruhk?
Errr... Hsssthak of Isstossef in the 1e Lords of Darkness tome. He wasn't originally referenced as a sarrukh, but it's noted as the tome within which the sarrukh [unnamed] first appeared. It wasn't until the release of Serpent Kingdoms, which later clarified that. He's mentioned in the "Mummies" adventure on pg. 34, and then is more fully described on pages 80 and 81. His identification as a sarrukh occurs on pg. 96 of Serpent Kingdoms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000