Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 New Edition is on the way!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7976 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  21:01:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weapon groups are indeed a great idea. Their 2E introduction (PHBR1) was a bit sloppy, every fighter PC would specialize in one weapon and some fighting styles then spend a handful of WP slots to become proficient with 99% of the weaponry in the game; all fighters chose one preferred weapon and were otherwise interchangeable unless constrained by kit requirements or "fluff" deliberations. PO:C&T made the WPs more valuable, higher degrees of specialization, more fighting styles, more useful options to spend WPs on, never enough points left over to pick much from the weapon groups; non-fighter classes had even fewer points and so couldn't perform as well in combat.

The unarmed combat systems were always substandard, though. On one extreme too oversimplified (roll a d20 on some arbitrary table), on the other too overcomplicated (you wanna just punch a guy? first you need to allocate your martial arts skills, but don't bother unless you're some kind of fighting-ninja-monk).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  21:00:16  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see a melding of the various editions as far as character creation goes. I'm thinking kind of a mix of 2.5e (the Player's Option stuff), 3e and, yes, a bit of 4e (while I mostly detest the 4e system, it does have some good elements).

Something like this (the base mechanic is still a D20 system):

-Class abilities are not typically assigned per se. They are a pools (a combat table pool, skills pool, feats pool, arcane spellcasting pool, divine spellcasting pool, and so on). The various pools and the abilities therein have a point cost. Each class gets the same number of points to spend on picking abilities. Each class can then spend the points on the abilities they want to have, but certain classes get a "discount" on certain pools. So warriors (fighters, paladins, rangers, etc) would be able to pick the warrior combat table at a reduced rate compared to non-warrior classes, mages (wizards, sorcerers, etc) get discounts on the arcane spellcasting, etc.

That's a very, very rough concept and would need a LOT of refinement obviously (already I can see a few oddities....like a Mage that doesn't cast arcane spells lol), but I find the idea of really customizing the character in that way to be interesting. Perhaps each class has its identifying ability at no cost...I don't know. It's an idea that would need a lot of work, and I'm no game designer (obviously lol).

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  23:11:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed with Diffan, though I did want to say one thing:

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Now, this is very very open to interpretation. I 'ported' my characters from 3.5E into 4E yet the systems are very different in many regards.
I think the differences are largely cosmetic.

My favorite example is dynamic (3e) vs. static (4e) Defenses: 3e's saving throws and 4e's defenses are basically the same thing, except that instead of actually rolling your save, the attacker rolls and you take 10.

Feats are basically the same but more plentiful (which they needed to be in 3e), skills are basically the same but more understandable and they improve with level in 4e (so your 20th level fighter isn't a complete chump when it comes to sneaking around, but he isn't as good as a thief of that level), etc.

But the healing surge system is new, I'll admit, and the ritual system, etc., etc. So yes, they're quite different in some respects, but not as different as they appear.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  23:39:02  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want books with fluff, I'm done with
crunch. I get all the crunch I want eating
Pringles.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  23:41:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Jeez Markus, you only get this sassy when you're actually bitter.
Not bitter at all.

I'm ecstatic, actually.

I must be losing my touch. Then again, at my age, its hard to tell the difference between 'bitter' and 'ecstasy' - either way, my face gets all 'scrunched up'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  02:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

I'd like to see a melding of the various editions as far as character creation goes. I'm thinking kind of a mix of 2.5e (the Player's Option stuff), 3e and, yes, a bit of 4e (while I mostly detest the 4e system, it does have some good elements).

Something like this (the base mechanic is still a D20 system):

-Class abilities are not typically assigned per se. They are a pools (a combat table pool, skills pool, feats pool, arcane spellcasting pool, divine spellcasting pool, and so on). The various pools and the abilities therein have a point cost. Each class gets the same number of points to spend on picking abilities. Each class can then spend the points on the abilities they want to have, but certain classes get a "discount" on certain pools. So warriors (fighters, paladins, rangers, etc) would be able to pick the warrior combat table at a reduced rate compared to non-warrior classes, mages (wizards, sorcerers, etc) get discounts on the arcane spellcasting, etc.

That's a very, very rough concept and would need a LOT of refinement obviously (already I can see a few oddities....like a Mage that doesn't cast arcane spells lol), but I find the idea of really customizing the character in that way to be interesting. Perhaps each class has its identifying ability at no cost...I don't know. It's an idea that would need a lot of work, and I'm no game designer (obviously lol).

That looks a little like how Skyrim (in my 10 minutes of playing it) and I think some other video games I have played do leveling up. I am not one of those folks who think it's a sin to model the game after video games. They sell millions of copies so they must be doing something right. Anyway, I like your proposed system and it solves some issues I was coming across with some of my own ideas. Perhaps you could have it set up so each class has a basic type of attack and that increases without having to spend any points (magic missile for mages, hand to hand or weapon combat for pretty well everyone else) that could be further augmented by abilities that they spent points on (specialize in a specific weapon, twin magic missile, etc) and allow for some variety in that. Though that might actively encourage a wizard to never use a bladed weapon. One fix for that would having one skill be to enchant weapons so they can combine their spells and their blades. Some things to consider anyway.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  03:51:00  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so happy that the only 4th edition thing I picked up was the big red box.
I needed something to put my B/X and BEMC stuff in.
Man I saved alot of money.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  04:42:38  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Jeez Markus, you only get this sassy when you're actually bitter.
Not bitter at all.

I'm ecstatic, actually.

I must be losing my touch. Then again, at my age, its hard to tell the difference between 'bitter' and 'ecstasy' - either way, my face gets all 'scrunched up'.

Should I ask? Or better to not?

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 13 Jan 2012 04:45:55
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  09:29:24  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

I am so happy that the only 4th edition thing I picked up was the big red box.
I needed something to put my B/X and BEMC stuff in.
Man I saved alot of money.
John

This has to be the post of the day!

Cheers

Damian
ps to keep my post on topic: It would be interesting if they went back to a 'beginners' box set for 5E, one they could sell in more outlets than the FLGS, they have said they want to encompass players of all editions and are looking at what people want in the game/what made it fun for them so perhaps the nostalgia factor might help heal the rifts in editions?

EDIT: just noticed that the first official public playtest with the 'new rules' is in the Caves of Chaos. They first appeared in the B2 module Keep of the Borderlands from the (basic) D&D boxset (c. 1979-1982).
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.aspx?x=dnd/feature/dndxp

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 13 Jan 2012 10:51:41
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  14:33:04  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
EDIT: just noticed that the first official public playtest with the 'new rules' is in the Caves of Chaos. They first appeared in the B2 module Keep of the Borderlands from the (basic) D&D boxset (c. 1979-1982).
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.aspx?x=dnd/feature/dndxp

The Keep on the Borderlands was my first ever D&D book. My cousin DM'd for me one Christmas when we visited It was my very first experience of roleplaying and I loved it!!

My cousin gave me the book to take home when we left and I still have it to this day

Good memories!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11728 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  16:06:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Vancian spell casting is part of the core of D&D for 30 odd years, its like saying priests can't cast prayers or fighters can't use swords. The 'fire and forget' system of magic users for me is a part of the game that must stay. It is what makes playing the wizard interesting, as a player has to actually think about their spell selection choice and make their scarce spells really count at critical moments in the game. Of course allied to that would be to remove the level caps on dice/damage on spells (why only 10d6 for a fireball when I am 15th level?).

(bolded for emphasis) This isn't a very good analogy. For starters, we're not taking away wizard's ability to cast spells (which is what your implying in the bolded text). Instead, we're just changing the "re-charge" times of their abilities. Prior to 4E, wizards were stuck with 3 to 4 1st level spells per day at 1st level....and then they had to resort to crossbows, slings, daggers, and staffs to contribute to any battle. It's known commonly as the 15 min. adventuring day. The point at which the party has to rest is often the result of spellcasting classes needing to replenish their spells. And when you have an encounter with monsters in which your spells are resisted, nullified, or simply miss it gets even worse.

This then turns into the "Dehydration Effect" (i'm coining this phrase). It's where spellcasting classes save their spells and analyze battles with such a critical eye for fear of a great encounter later on. So they hold off, effectively contributing little while putting your allies in jeopardy (you are squishy, no AC, and little HP after all). So like a thirsty man in the desert, you hold on to your reserves of water until you "really" need it (which experts say is the worst way to handle that situation). And by the time you use the spells it oftn is too little, too late. I don't think the game needs to go back to this.

quote:

I am not a fan of the all classes must be balanced against each other at every level that has happened in the rulesets in recent years, nor do I like the concept that classes 'cross over' each other in terms of abilities/skills/feats/insert other term here etc. For instance I want my fighter to be different to a thief, I want things that my fighter can do well to be specific to the fighter. I don't want a 'happy medium' that allows other classes to do some (any) of what my character does. I prefer traditional class archetypes to the more general classes and abilities we see in recent editions.

Does this mean your not a fan of the Multiclass, hybrid, or dual-class (or role) systems D&D has used since 2E? From my perspective, I just don't see how the classes are the same even from a 3E and 4E view. In 4E, Fighters get Con score + 15 for starting HP and often enough their Con is pretty high netting something like 28-30 or higher starting HPs. Rogues get Con score + 12 and their Con is often much lower, netting them approx 23-25 HP. Maybe that's not as much disparity as you'd like, but by comparison a 3E fighter often has 11-14 HP to the Rogues 7-10.

Then we get into more intracies such as armor proficiency, the paladin gets the best, plate armor at 1st level (finally) where as the Rogue gets up to leather.

As far as what they can do, Rogues are the only ones with Sneak Attack, Clerics are the only one with Healer's Lore, Wizards are the only ones with Implement Mastery, Fighters are the only ones with Combat Challenge, etc. (these are 4E terms in case your not aware). These aspects are a bit lessened in 3E where the Fighter had nothing definitive about him save a multitude of feats. Wizards got scribe scroll, clercis got turn undead, and rogues still got sneak attack. All 4 of these classes, in both editions, play and work differently. I just don't know how to make them more different from a mechanical standpoint.

quote:

Each class should be unique with its own powers/skills/abilities or whatever other term people like to use and also with the 'pit falls' of things that it can't do (Hit points, choice of weapons, armour, spells etc). Making character classes similar to each other in 5E rather than distinctive would not be something I would want to see in 5E.

Just my thoughts

Damian

See above, but taking things further I feel the whole concept of Party Composition has changed over the years. At first, it was the signature 4 classes (cleric, fighter, rogue, wizard). This trait really went through the game until about 3E. Here, we got classes that did similar things (but not as effectively) and were different flavors of the same ilk. The Favored Soul of v3.5 (Complete Divine) is just a cleric that uses Sorcerer mechanics without Turn Undead but with some focus on a specific weapon. It can't be as versatile, as good at healing, nor as diverse as the cleric but people REALLY love the spontaneous casting.

But generally 9/10 people are going to say during character generation "OK, who's gonna play the cleric?" because, for one, it's nuturing rule that not often directly affects combat. In 3E terms, no one wanted to be a "Heal-Bot" and have to spend your time healing people when you could be doing something more fun (bashing someone in the face) or cool (dismissing an extra-planar monster). 4E took that a few steps farther, giving multiple classes the same ability to heal as the cleric while providing a different feel overall. The warlord, by comparison can be a tactical genious that shouts orders for his allies to attack. Bards can do so many various things it's ridiculous AND they heal. Shaman heal with nature's power, summon natural spirits to aid your allies and harry your foes. Yet they all provide a central aspect that is equally important (they heal).

Now, this might come off as a "PRO-4E SPEECH!!" but I'm just highlighting certain aspects editions have done throughout the years and various reasons why they've changed for better (or ill, depending on view). Basically I inquire, what does 5E gain by using Vancian spellcasting? What is the benefit to purposefully putting in "Pit Falls"? Or keeping the disparity of spellcasting vs. non-spellcasting classes? Other edition of the game already do this, so does it need to be re-done?

Some questions to ponder.

What does 5E gain by having Vancian Casting? It gets back more to the core idea that's being presented in the novels... wizards know LOTS of spells, but they can't have them all ready all the time (and they're constantly trying to learn new ones). Without that, to me a wizard is just a sorceror or warlock variation, and it ruins the class. However, I'll give 4E some nods towards some ideas that were good, and you can definitely work them all together. The idea of having certain "at-will" spells is fine. The idea that all wizards can scribe scrolls is also fine, and scrolls should be for single use, in combat, defenses or attacks or escape type spells. The idea that all wizards should also be ritual casters and a lot of the Vancian spells instead be converted to rituals for things that realistically should take some kind of ritual (opening a portal, scrying, anti-scrying, warding/protecting an area, placing down some glyph, putting up some alarm, etc...). Or maybe wizards get the option of having "scribe scroll greater" or "perform ritual greater" as a choice for starter feats and they have "scribe scroll lesser" and "perform ritual lesser" as automatic feats... (note on the above, I made up those names, and maybe the lesser "feats" be needed prior to getting the greater abilities). This gives them through Vancian magic the versatility to have some effects each day from a wide pool to pick (not, hey I know 6 daily spells, so all mages who study me know that I only know these 6 daily spells and that's it).

Let's face it, the warrior has a sword, and generally his sword's going to work (he may have to overcome dmg reduction or have a certain metal... whatever)... but if a mage only knows an upper level fire spell and an upper level lightning... whammo block fire & lightning for that mage and you've just ruined his options.

Now, if you give said mage at will spells that they can use for general combat, plus replace a lot of spells with feats, then you don't necessarily have to give him the number of spells that you used to. However, if you let him also have the at-wills and the old numbers, then you don't run into the 15 min adventure issue so much... and if they DO blow all their spells up front, then DM can always say "well, too bad, you still have your at wills and whatever scrolls you prepped, so buck up and move on".

As to the various classes having certain roles, I'll say 3E was very good nearer the end at making these roles interchangeable. You could make a mage into a hybrid healer, turn a druid into a hybrid blaster, a bard could be a hybrid healer/scout, etc.... I vastly liked the core concept of 3E's multi-class idea. Where things sometimes went overboard was making prestige classes that were so easy to swap between that some people were grabbing 5 or 6 prestige classes while leveling just for X ability. I won't say that everyone who did multiple prestige classes were out to cheat however. Some truly were building that way for the idea behind the character, and it seriously would have gimped the character at points.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11728 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  16:10:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

quote:
4E took that a few steps farther, giving multiple classes the same ability to heal as the cleric while providing a different feel overall.

Wow. I really didn't know anything specific about 4E play, just general things like it was easy to pick up and do fast encounters. That's a radical departure that I wouldn't like, and I can see where it is failing and being revamped so quickly.

2nd Edition Clerics were pretty darn powerful and fun to play. They could heal, but wear plate and had the second best Thac0 after warriors, plus some evocation type spells like Flame Strike that made them nearly as strong as wizards in that regard. Creeping Doom could do 1,000hp of damage!

I never heard the term "healbot" until I played Everquest. And even then not until the game had become dated. Didn't realize it was a 3E term.

Yeah, the everyone's a healer thing was a turn off for me too. In 3E there were so many options to have a "backup" healer that it just felt wrong for 4E make everyone be a healer on their own (and took away some of the "awe" of healing). Paladins and rangers and bards with wands of cure light could perform between battle "first aid". Mages could take feats to learn spells from the heal domain, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7976 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  16:26:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I'm of the opinion that 4E's move towards distributing healing across every class was a good thing. The cleric is still around for heavy-duty healing, but now he can actually focus on being a hero instead of constantly applying first aid to every little scrape and boo-boo his comrades obtain on their adventures.

Admittedly, some of the in-game-lore explanations provided for self-healing powers are a bit implausible. But the mechanism itself is a good thing, IMO.

[Edit]

Besides ... concentrating all the healing onto one character is risky. That character can get separated from the party, or become unconscious, comatose, insane, shocked, dying ... what happens when the healer is gone or is the one who needs healing? It's a much more dire situation than a party who loses the guys providing concentrated wizard-firepower or concentrated meat-shield.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 13 Jan 2012 16:32:22
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11728 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  16:27:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

Vancian spell casting is part of the core of D&D for 30 odd years, its like saying priests can't cast prayers or fighters can't use swords. The 'fire and forget' system of magic users for me is a part of the game that must stay. It is what makes playing the wizard interesting, as a player has to actually think about their spell selection choice and make their scarce spells really count at critical moments in the game. Of course allied to that would be to remove the level caps on dice/damage on spells (why only 10d6 for a fireball when I am 15th level?).

(bolded for emphasis) This isn't a very good analogy. For starters, we're not taking away wizard's ability to cast spells (which is what your implying in the bolded text). Instead, we're just changing the "re-charge" times of their abilities. Prior to 4E, wizards were stuck with 3 to 4 1st level spells per day at 1st level....and then they had to resort to crossbows, slings, daggers, and staffs to contribute to any battle. It's known commonly as the 15 min. adventuring day. The point at which the party has to rest is often the result of spellcasting classes needing to replenish their spells. And when you have an encounter with monsters in which your spells are resisted, nullified, or simply miss it gets even worse.

This then turns into the "Dehydration Effect" (i'm coining this phrase). It's where spellcasting classes save their spells and analyze battles with such a critical eye for fear of a great encounter later on. So they hold off, effectively contributing little while putting your allies in jeopardy (you are squishy, no AC, and little HP after all). So like a thirsty man in the desert, you hold on to your reserves of water until you "really" need it (which experts say is the worst way to handle that situation). And by the time you use the spells it oftn is too little, too late. I don't think the game needs to go back to this.

quote:

I am not a fan of the all classes must be balanced against each other at every level that has happened in the rulesets in recent years, nor do I like the concept that classes 'cross over' each other in terms of abilities/skills/feats/insert other term here etc. For instance I want my fighter to be different to a thief, I want things that my fighter can do well to be specific to the fighter. I don't want a 'happy medium' that allows other classes to do some (any) of what my character does. I prefer traditional class archetypes to the more general classes and abilities we see in recent editions.

Does this mean your not a fan of the Multiclass, hybrid, or dual-class (or role) systems D&D has used since 2E? From my perspective, I just don't see how the classes are the same even from a 3E and 4E view. In 4E, Fighters get Con score + 15 for starting HP and often enough their Con is pretty high netting something like 28-30 or higher starting HPs. Rogues get Con score + 12 and their Con is often much lower, netting them approx 23-25 HP. Maybe that's not as much disparity as you'd like, but by comparison a 3E fighter often has 11-14 HP to the Rogues 7-10.

Then we get into more intracies such as armor proficiency, the paladin gets the best, plate armor at 1st level (finally) where as the Rogue gets up to leather.

As far as what they can do, Rogues are the only ones with Sneak Attack, Clerics are the only one with Healer's Lore, Wizards are the only ones with Implement Mastery, Fighters are the only ones with Combat Challenge, etc. (these are 4E terms in case your not aware). These aspects are a bit lessened in 3E where the Fighter had nothing definitive about him save a multitude of feats. Wizards got scribe scroll, clercis got turn undead, and rogues still got sneak attack. All 4 of these classes, in both editions, play and work differently. I just don't know how to make them more different from a mechanical standpoint.

quote:

Each class should be unique with its own powers/skills/abilities or whatever other term people like to use and also with the 'pit falls' of things that it can't do (Hit points, choice of weapons, armour, spells etc). Making character classes similar to each other in 5E rather than distinctive would not be something I would want to see in 5E.

Just my thoughts

Damian

See above, but taking things further I feel the whole concept of Party Composition has changed over the years. At first, it was the signature 4 classes (cleric, fighter, rogue, wizard). This trait really went through the game until about 3E. Here, we got classes that did similar things (but not as effectively) and were different flavors of the same ilk. The Favored Soul of v3.5 (Complete Divine) is just a cleric that uses Sorcerer mechanics without Turn Undead but with some focus on a specific weapon. It can't be as versatile, as good at healing, nor as diverse as the cleric but people REALLY love the spontaneous casting.

But generally 9/10 people are going to say during character generation "OK, who's gonna play the cleric?" because, for one, it's nuturing rule that not often directly affects combat. In 3E terms, no one wanted to be a "Heal-Bot" and have to spend your time healing people when you could be doing something more fun (bashing someone in the face) or cool (dismissing an extra-planar monster). 4E took that a few steps farther, giving multiple classes the same ability to heal as the cleric while providing a different feel overall. The warlord, by comparison can be a tactical genious that shouts orders for his allies to attack. Bards can do so many various things it's ridiculous AND they heal. Shaman heal with nature's power, summon natural spirits to aid your allies and harry your foes. Yet they all provide a central aspect that is equally important (they heal).

Now, this might come off as a "PRO-4E SPEECH!!" but I'm just highlighting certain aspects editions have done throughout the years and various reasons why they've changed for better (or ill, depending on view). Basically I inquire, what does 5E gain by using Vancian spellcasting? What is the benefit to purposefully putting in "Pit Falls"? Or keeping the disparity of spellcasting vs. non-spellcasting classes? Other edition of the game already do this, so does it need to be re-done?

Some questions to ponder.

What does 5E gain by having Vancian Casting? It gets back more to the core idea that's being presented in the novels... wizards know LOTS of spells, but they can't have them all ready all the time (and they're constantly trying to learn new ones). Without that, to me a wizard is just a sorceror or warlock variation, and it ruins the class. However, I'll give 4E some nods towards some ideas that were good, and you can definitely work them all together. The idea of having certain "at-will" spells is fine. The idea that all wizards can scribe scrolls is also fine, and scrolls should be for single use, in combat, defenses or attacks or escape type spells. The idea that all wizards should also be ritual casters and a lot of the Vancian spells instead be converted to rituals for things that realistically should take some kind of ritual (opening a portal, scrying, anti-scrying, warding/protecting an area, placing down some glyph, putting up some alarm, etc...). Or maybe wizards get the option of having "scribe scroll greater" or "perform ritual greater" as a choice for starter feats and they have "scribe scroll lesser" and "perform ritual lesser" as automatic feats... (note on the above, I made up those names, and maybe the lesser "feats" be needed prior to getting the greater abilities). This gives them through Vancian magic the versatility to have some effects each day from a wide pool to pick (not, hey I know 6 daily spells, so all mages who study me know that I only know these 6 daily spells and that's it).

Let's face it, the warrior has a sword, and generally his sword's going to work (he may have to overcome dmg reduction or have a certain metal... whatever)... but if a mage only knows an upper level fire spell and an upper level lightning... whammo block fire & lightning for that mage and you've just ruined his options.

Now, if you give said mage at will spells that they can use for general combat, plus replace a lot of spells with feats, then you don't necessarily have to give him the number of spells that you used to. However, if you let him also have the at-wills and the old numbers, then you don't run into the 15 min adventure issue so much... and if they DO blow all their spells up front, then DM can always say "well, too bad, you still have your at wills and whatever scrolls you prepped, so buck up and move on".

As to the various classes having certain roles, I'll say 3E was very good nearer the end at making these roles interchangeable. You could make a mage into a hybrid healer, turn a druid into a hybrid blaster, a bard could be a hybrid healer/scout, etc.... I vastly liked the core concept of 3E's multi-class idea. Where things sometimes went overboard was making prestige classes that were so easy to swap between that some people were grabbing 5 or 6 prestige classes while leveling just for X ability. I won't say that everyone who did multiple prestige classes were out to cheat however. Some truly were building that way for the idea behind the character, and it seriously would have gimped the character at points.

One other add, perhaps as well, there are some schools of magic (and by that I mean "places of learning") who teach their mages to use magic but not be wholly reliant upon it. Perhaps at these places, they actually teach the mage how to use a crossbow or bow instead of some of those at-will abilities. Maybe as they go up they improve their archery with effects like the arcane archer did. This would make absolute since to me in a game world... some areas like Thay and Halruaa (pre-4e) would frown on those mages who picked up the crossbow... whereas the war wizards of Cormyr or the witches of Rashemen might actually prefer their mages learn this alternate combat art since sometimes magic fails you. It all comes down to style of play, since that at-will magic missile and that crossbow bolt do roughly the same amount of damage.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  17:51:17  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the idea of a rest mechanic, the one below was developed by Bad Axe Games
quote:
Trailblazer: New Horizons in 3.5 Roleplaying, page 18

The 10-minute Rest Period
• A “rest period” is re-defined as 10 minutes of uninterrupted rest, to include no more than conversation and light activity.
• All character abilities and class features that were previously granted “per day” are instead granted “per rest.” This includes rage, smite, wild shape, etc. as well as spellcasting (see below).
• Spellcasters may be required to spend action points in addition to resting, in order to recover certain spells more quickly.
• All abilities are refreshed once every 24 hours, at no cost of action points. (In other words, always at least as often as the current 3e rules allow.)

After a successful rest period, at no cost of Action Points:
• All “per rest” class abilities are refreshed (rage, smite, wild shape, etc.)
• All characters heal an amount of hit points equal to 50% of their normal, maximum hit point total.
• All spell slots used to cast Rote spells are refreshed. (See below).
• Any ongoing spell effects on your person are dispelled when your rest is complete, regardless of any duration they may have remaining. This does not apply to spells with instantaneous or permanent durations; however it does apply to spells both beneficial and harmful, regardless of their origin.

After a successful rest period, at a cost of 1 Action Point:
• A character can recover an additional amount of hit points equal to 50% of their normal hit point total (which will restore any character to full hit points).
• All spell slots used to cast Restricted spells are refreshed (see below).
• One spell slot used to cast a Ritual spell is refreshed, per action point spent.

Spellcasting
All spells are designated as Rote, Restricted, or Rituals.

Rote spells include:
• All 0-level spells.
• Any single-target spell with a duration of 1 min/level or less.

Restricted spells include:
• Any area of effect or multiple-target spell.
• Any spell with a duration of 10 minutes/level or longer.
• Any Conjuration (creation, calling, or teleport).

Ritual spells include:
• Any spell with an XP cost, or unusual and expensive material component.
• The big three gamebreakers: Divination/Commune, Raise Dead, Teleport.
• “Edge case” spells that create permanent goods (water, food, iron) at the DM’s discretion.
• At the DM’s discretion, any other spell which by reputation or overuse proves disruptive to the campaign (for example, spells that require no roll to affect the target and permit no defenses).

This could easily be adapted to a spell point (or mana or power point) system by including the following feature at no cost of Action Points:
• All characters regain an amount of spell points equal to 50% of their normal, maximum spell point total.
And the following feature at a cost of 1 Action Point:
• A character can recover an additional amount of spell points equal to 50% of their normal spell point total (which will restore any character to full spell points).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  00:45:28  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik
The cleric is still around for heavy-duty healing, but now he can actually focus on being a hero instead of constantly applying first aid to every little scrape and boo-boo his comrades obtain on their adventures.

If all the cleric is doing is healing then the other players need to look at themselves and come up with a better plan than charge and hit every 'bad guy' they see as their playing style seems somewhat linear?

Just wondering

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  01:00:41  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

I really like the idea of a rest mechanic, the one below was developed by Bad Axe Games

I suspect that the 'check for wandering monster every turn' die would be getting ones all the time if that rule had to appear in my game.

I understand its different strokes for different folks and all, but if I am reading this right you can just blast away/shape change/rage etc to your hearts content, rest for 10 mins and do it all again (more or less). It seems very 'computer game based' to me.

I am guessing that it is the same for monsters as well? so a dragon get all its breath attacks back? the Demon lord can cast another wish? the Banite clerics you are attacking in their temple get their prayers back etc?

I guess this is where old school and new school roleplayers will probably never agree, if this made it into 5E then I wouldn't be interested in buying it (then again I am probably not Hasbro's target market anyway!).

I wouldn't have a problem with these type of rules for a superhero type of game and it would certainly make a Paranoia variant interesting!

Just my thoughts

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7976 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  01:40:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're probably correct about comparing old school and new school views on this sort of thing.

It seems like old school players prefer having that x/day sort of mechanic. You dedicate a chunk of your day (after a full night's rest) to memorizing/praying for spells, and you have so few that you have to rely on hardship and mundane skills instead of blowing half your spells off just trying to reach the final boss battle.

While it seems like new school players want a power bar which replenishes (pretty quickly) between fights so they can focus on "important stuff" without interruption.

Neither style is really right or wrong, but it's obviously not easy for a game like D&D to cater to the expectations of both types of gamers. Simply providing a control-panel within the game where DMs can select and configure as preferred is an imperfect solution at best ... adjusting scales always affects the dimensions and balances weighted against them, one-size-fits-all is usually an awkward and ugly thing which nobody wants to wear.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  05:35:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turn HP into Stamina points, and use one stat for spell points and 'hits'. As you lose stamina, you become fatigued. Hits in D&D are abstract, and usually represent all the feinting, parrying, scratches and bruises, etc.. that ones gets during combat before any real damage occurs. Real (fatality-causing) damage should only occur with a critical, which means someone scored an actual direct hit.

Then turn Con into a damageable stat, and have crits come off of that. No more 'negative hit points' or 'deaths door' crap.

You can also use the combat roll to determine damage as well, rather then making separate rolls. I never liked that; for instance, you need a 7 to hit and you roll a 19, and then you screw-up the damage roll and do just one point. The effectiveness of your strike should determine damage dealt. A simple table with a bell-curve would do the trick.

There a re plenty of way of streamlining the system, and still make it feel like D&D.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Jan 2012 05:37:36
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  09:00:59  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think 5th ed (sorry - DnDNext) with be a nice opportunity to make a few minor edits to the Realms.
While apparently I can go back to Pre-plague, that would simply not work well for me. I mean, I would 'know' that the plague was coming (well, canonically, anyway). That would get on my nerves. I prefer to move on instead - but make a few changes, simply by using minor events.
I would advance the current (post plague) setting with a few years. enough to have the novels (Elminster, Shadowbane, etc) happened, and the events form the LFR campaign arcs (of which I hope a few can become canonical).
It would see a slight shift in worshipped gods - not much, but I can see the rise or exposure of small cults devoted to deities long thought dead. I would make a few edits for anti-weirdness - such as removing that stupid sun above Elturel, or toning down the presence of the plaguelands a bit.
I like to have the politics expanded a bit more. I think you can do much with it but it is not used a lot right now. Make countries like Imaskar or Chessenta politically/economically more important, play out the tension around Sembia with the Dalelands and Vesperin, etc.
In short, move on and evolve the Realms (rather than reset, reboot, or re-invent it again).

Of course, no idea if they plan to do that, but that would be what I would do.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  01:44:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

<snip>
I think the differences are largely cosmetic.

My favorite example is dynamic (3e) vs. static (4e) Defenses: 3e's saving throws and 4e's defenses are basically the same thing, except that instead of actually rolling your save, the attacker rolls and you take 10.

<snip>

Cheers

This idea was just about the only thing I liked about 4E, and I incorporated it into my test campaign, except that I had both attacker and defender roll, and turned all combat into opposed-roll situations. It gives players a better sense of an active defense (you're not just standing there waiting for your armor to take the hit) and it keeps the players involved more than simply recording lost hit points and making the occasional saving throw in fights against a large number of foes when it's not the players' turn. It's not something that's been used in either my 3.5 group or my Pathfinder group regularly, largely because I haven't been DMing at all in the past two years, but I am still rather fond of the concept.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  02:49:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So from what I've been reading from Mike Mearls and Monte about some info about the next iteration of Dungeons and Dragons, it appears that the ruleset will be completely on it's own with mechanics (meaning, it'll be different from anything we've seen already with D&D). This also means that 4E, 3E, 2E/AD&D, BECMI, 1E, etc. probably won't be compatable with the new system.

What is implied is that you can obtain the same "feeling" (key word there) as you would be playing older editions of the game, and those feelings need not all be shared by the group. In an article, I believe it was Monte that said someone who likes the 1E feel of a character can stand along side a player who enjoys the 3E feel of a character. What I gain from this is that the modularity will be two-fold. First is character scope/creation. A numerious set of choices such as feats, skills, powers, features (class & racial) that sort of culminate as you obtain levels. Whether this is level-by-level of over-all themed at the start is speculated. So, for example, a person that doesn't want to bother with loads of skill ranks or feats and just wants to hit things with his weapon can choose options that increase that aspect of his character and probably static number that he can use but not have to worry about micro-managing. On the other hand, a character that loves taking a little bit of each aspect such as Themes, skills, feats, powers, multiclassing CAN do so yet still remain balanced. I'm curious as to how, but I'm assuming it will most likely be due to the Action Economy. Namely, you can still only do 1 or 2 things per round, so ALL the options in the world are still filtered through your action and that (I feel) is probably the balance point.

The other aspect of the next Iteration of D&D is going to be DM sets the tone. While I never felt this was any different from one version to the next, apparently there were some that felt the DM took a back seat to storytelling and became "rule arbiter". Never the less, it'll be back to what the DM says "Goes" and (s)he'll have lots of options to pick from when creating their own story/campaign. Again, whether or not this factors into the over-all scheme of the edition such as published adventures AND homebrew is another question up for debate.

Personally, I think they'll either do A). Cater to one aspect through an adventure (something like "Use this adventure is your just starting and like simple, elegant rules.") or B). Give us options all through out the adventure that appeals to different characters (like At this door you can do A, B, or C. OR role-play using X, Y, and Z factors). It's still too early in the design process to even know what they come up with but I'm the sort to keep his eyes open and hope for the best.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  01:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From this interview with Mike Mearls:
quote:
Do the financial obligations of being a games publisher necessitate a new edition every few years, or can you foresee a period where the game would remain more static and settled for a longer period?

We’re actually much better off creating a single, stable edition. It’s easier for fans, it’s better for continuity for writers and designers, and it’s much easier in terms of creating a long-term product strategy.
Wizards' early reaching out to mainstream media about the new edition suggests they may just appreciate the need to aggressively expand the D&D player base in order to break out of (slow down) the edition cycle. That they're thinking in terms of long-term product strategies is a good sign for the possibility of an extended Realms line of breadth and depth.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  04:09:52  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diffan, don't worry. You'll be just fine.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  13:44:49  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Diffan, don't worry. You'll be just fine.

Na, I'm not worried. My swift anger has turned into curiosity and I'm genuinely interested in how they pull this off. And like so many others said during the 3E to 4E switch "WtoC isn't going to come in and steal my 4E books." Which I honestly feel comfortable falling back on.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  22:14:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently (going by the teensy bit Matt inadvertently revealed), 5e will be a 4e backwards-engineered for older players to capture the feel of the eras/editions they liked.

The current ruleset will not be abolished - it will simply be 'expanded upon' with new options to capture the old feel.

At least, thats the vibe I'm getting now.

I don't have a problem with that; I always said it was 'over-engineered', so sticking some stuff back in that they took out should be a no-brainer.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  23:33:56  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Apparently (going by the teensy bit Matt inadvertently revealed), 5e will be a 4e backwards-engineered for older players to capture the feel of the eras/editions they liked.

The current ruleset will not be abolished - it will simply be 'expanded upon' with new options to capture the old feel.

At least, thats the vibe I'm getting now.

I don't have a problem with that; I always said it was 'over-engineered', so sticking some stuff back in that they took out should be a no-brainer.

I'm not really sure how you came to that conclusion but I have a feeling D&Dnext will have rules all for itself with little backwards compatability. What Monte Cook and Mike Mearls have been saying is that it'll "feel" like playing X-edition character, not X-edition rules will work with D&Dnext.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  01:04:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Whatever their new rules might be, they still need some kind of time travel MegaPlotDevice to erase the Spellplague, Abeir, and all of that associated nonsense.

Better yet, get rid of it with a Bobby Ewing moment. Make it all a fever dream that Manshoon is having, after drinking the blood of a diseased Calishite tiefling.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could say that Manshoon is our Bobby Ewing?

An RSE to remove RSEs!

-It was my position five years ago, and it still is, that that handling any kind of "reset" like that would be...very negative. Though I don't like 75% of the lore that I've read regarding the post-1375 DR Forgotten Realms, to have it all be a dream would be a slap in the face to our intelligences, to be honest. It accomplishes removing the majority of changes that people didn't particularly like, but there are definitley better ways to do that.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  05:30:31  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

Whatever their new rules might be, they still need some kind of time travel MegaPlotDevice to erase the Spellplague, Abeir, and all of that associated nonsense.

Better yet, get rid of it with a Bobby Ewing moment. Make it all a fever dream that Manshoon is having, after drinking the blood of a diseased Calishite tiefling.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could say that Manshoon is our Bobby Ewing?

An RSE to remove RSEs!

-It was my position five years ago, and it still is, that that handling any kind of "reset" like that would be...very negative. Though I don't like 75% of the lore that I've read regarding the post-1375 DR Forgotten Realms, to have it all be a dream would be a slap in the face to our intelligences, to be honest. It accomplishes removing the majority of changes that people didn't particularly like, but there are definitley better ways to do that.

I agree... I have already proposed one such way to Paul Kemp in his scroll here... let's just say that it involves Mask and the end of Shadowrealm... if you haven't read the Twilight War trilogy, you should... or at least read the epilogue of the final book.

There are also other ways, possibly involving Mystra or even your namesake... there's a lot of lore regarding Karsus that hasn't seen the light of day yet...

As for myself, I'd prefer just to see a timeline split; those who like the Spellplagued Realms can keep them, and those who don't can have the PCs succeed in the big end-of-3e Realms adventure trilogy and stop the Spellplague. I've already proposed that elsewhere, so I'm being a bit redundant here.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  21:31:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They won't do a timline split - they've already made clear their key desire this time out was to unite the fanbase under one banner.

I guess now is not the time to point out that was the precise same plan with 4e?

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Feb 2012 21:32:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000