Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 New Edition is on the way!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  15:00:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Charting the Course for D&D Your Voice, Your Game

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 09 Jan 2012 15:01:27

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  15:18:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it's entirely too early to tell, but I'm inclined to wonder what all this will mean for the existing campaign settings re-launched under the 4e D&D banner.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  15:30:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I'd be very surprised if this affects the Realms and means any new events will occur or advancements of the timeline. I'm a little disappointed, having only recently strived to obtain all 4th edition D&D core in a relatively short space of time

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  15:43:19  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From En world. Looks like big things are in store for the Realms!!!

The Forgotten Realms will be supported from the start, and a video game art studio from China has been hired to fully detail the Realms. I asked if going forward support would be continued for the current time after the Spellplague and the Neverwinter Campaign. A WotC spokesperson answered, "The Forgotten Realms has a rich history and we will support all of it. It is for the gamers to decide which time they would enjoy playing in." That would allow Wizards to take advantage of a massive back catalog of products; however, there are no current plans that we know of for other settings - we assume these will follow in later years.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 09 Jan 2012 15:44:58
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  15:48:59  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know why but I had the feelin' they would do something like this soon, The fierce criticism that the last iteration received could have been the reason of a new one so soon? You think they might make changes not only in gameplay but also in lore? Maybe we see some godly faces returning even?

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 09 Jan 2012 15:50:40
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  15:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

The Forgotten Realms will be supported from the start, and a video game art studio from China has been hired to fully detail the Realms. I asked if going forward support would be continued for the current time after the Spellplague and the Neverwinter Campaign. A WotC spokesperson answered, "The Forgotten Realms has a rich history and we will support all of it. It is for the gamers to decide which time they would enjoy playing in." That would allow Wizards to take advantage of a massive back catalog of products; however, there are no current plans that we know of for other settings - we assume these will follow in later years.

Please, please allow for pre-Spellplague FR support?

And while I'm much more invested in PF's cosmology and its development at this point, for professional purposes please let development of the Great Wheel and its associated concepts (Sigil?) continue without having 4e PoL cosmology force fit into it.

Otherwise interesting times.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  15:52:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I was hoping it was a spat book, however clearly a new edition according to Trevor Kidd
Community Manager who in part has said
quote:
We plan to continue offering people access to tools such as the D&D Character Builder and D&D Monster Builder to support 4th Edition. We are exploring ideas for conversion tools so some of your 4th Edition characters and content will be playable with the next iteration of D&D but it’s too early to say what we will be able to provide.

So much of claim 4th Edition was so flexible that there would be no need or reason for a 4th+ edition. *sighs*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 09 Jan 2012 16:13:36
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  15:54:23  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to the New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/arts/video-games/dungeons-dragons-remake-uses-players-input.html?_r=3&hpw
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  16:00:27  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully nothing. At best, to please the Spellplague-haters, would be to confirm a separate timeline and the Spellplage as an alternate Realms reality. You then revert back to 1375 DR, maybe keep some differences such as Elistraee's death but keep Mystra alive, remove the spellplague and Tyr, Helm, and all the otehr stuff alone.

Even as a big fan of many many changes, I could be OK with this but I think it really does a disservice to all the authors who have started to forge a new beginning in the 1479 Realms.

As for the rules, it had better be good. It had better no re-hash the same ol' stuff that I already have access to. I don't need v3.75 or Pathfinder 2.0 or 4.5E. Compatability is nice and all, but with so many varying systems, your going to PO someone who's system your not compatable with. It's just the truth.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  16:20:05  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Please, please allow for pre-Spellplague FR support?

And while I'm much more invested in PF's cosmology and its development at this point, for professional purposes please let development of the Great Wheel and its associated concepts (Sigil?) continue without having 4e PoL cosmology force fit into it.

Otherwise interesting times.

Hey Shemmy,

This month’s issue of Dungeon (#198) has an article dedicated to Cormyr 1379 DR & 1479 DR. So this could be a sign of things to come for future Realms support.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  16:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HERE is an article on the subject on the Critical Hits site.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  16:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As to my initial feelings on this announcement, it is a too little, too late. They have announced open playtesting and listening to their fans, but Paizo already did that with Pathfinder. Really, the only thing that would bring me back to WotC is if they were to heal the Realms and focus on Realmslore for all eras of the Realms. As it is, 3 and 1/2 years of healing on my own has brought me to the point in which I will probably start buying 4e novels from select authors that I love. And don't get me wrong, I am not sad that "they’re done trying to force a new game on players (see the 5th bullet point from the article I posted)," but will it really be enough to bring back the customers that they hurt with their belligerence in the promotion of 4e?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 09 Jan 2012 17:03:28
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  17:06:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most interesting thing I saw was on Eric Mona's Facebook this morning. The comment from Louis Porter, Junior, third party publisher and owner of LPJ Design.

quote:
At this point, I don't care. We will not see 5E until 2013 at the earliest and they will have to convince a lot of people that they are not going to do with 5E what they did with 4E.

And by the way, you just said to retailers is "thanks for buying our stuff and anything else we put out for 4E will be basically useless and hope you can make it for the next 18+ months until we hit the stands." I wonder how many retailers are going to become Paizo converts while waiting for WOTC?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  17:22:46  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going from what Hawkins said, it's exactly that reason is why 5E will be VERY VERY hard to see IMO. The open playtest helps, in a way, as players see the direction and focus the game is going. But I too feel it's a little too late. Many Pathfinder fans are very happy with Pathfinder, not requiring the need to switch (yet again) to another edition. Further more, it alienates the current fan base that actually supports 4E.

As a fan of 4E, I am disheartened that in a year or two the game aspect of what I love will most likely no longer be supported. And if 5E is the greatest edition ever, I'll give it a try (albiet a year after release) and won't knock it until then. But each purchase up to that point will be a hard one, because, well.....we just won't have official additions to those supplements. For example, there are various classes from teh PHB3 that have received little to no support since it's release. No love for the Seeker, little love for the Runepriest, hardly a peep out of flavorful aspects for Minotaurs. And I doubt we'll get much from here on out. I'll continue to support 4E until the very end because I like the system and the more official material the better. But once it's done and my DDI account no longer supports the Online Character Builder or Monster Builder....well I'll be saying good-bye for a time.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  17:56:52  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whatever their new rules might be, they still need some kind of time travel MegaPlotDevice to erase the Spellplague, Abeir, and all of that associated nonsense.

Better yet, get rid of it with a Bobby Ewing moment. Make it all a fever dream that Manshoon is having, after drinking the blood of a diseased Calishite tiefling.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could say that Manshoon is our Bobby Ewing?

An RSE to remove RSEs!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 09 Jan 2012 17:58:09
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  18:03:06  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Whatever their new rules might be, they still need some kind of time travel MegaPlotDevice to erase the Spellplague, Abeir, and all of that associated nonsense.

Better yet, get rid of it with a Bobby Ewing moment. Make it all a fever dream that Manshoon is having, after drinking the blood of a diseased Calishite tiefling.

An RSE to remove RSEs!

I prefer Volo waking up from a drunken stooper...or maybe from eating a bad piece of Cheese.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  18:15:16  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

An RSE to remove RSEs!

I prefer Volo waking up from a drunken stooper...or maybe from eating a bad piece of Cheese.

YES!

It's just a shame Brian's not around to write it.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  18:39:41  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

An RSE to remove RSEs!

Ooh... Volo and Mirt go on a drinking bender!

Mirt wakes up with three flipskirts in his bed, Volo wakes up with a memory of a strange "future".

Volo: "augghhhh... I'll never drink a whole case of elverquisst again!"

Mirt: "HA! Yes you will."

Volo: "My head feels like a planet crashed into it!"

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  19:15:32  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hahah I wrote the same thing on another thread about Bobby Ewing style wake up.

We can dream, can't we?

When I was a kid, I loved this one super hero, Dr. Fate (alter ego Kent Nelson). He was created in the 1940s, brought back in the late 50s and used in the 60s/70s/80s and survived the Crisis on Infinte Earths retconning. Phew.

Then "the powers that be" decided to shake things up, so they killed him and made his new alter ego and man and a woman. Then they scrapped that idea 2 years later and brought the character back as the original's wife Inza, so Doctor Fate in female form.

Then they killed her 2 years later and brought in a weird character who used the vestiges of the original but was totally different. (at this point I lost interest in the character due to the many many changes).

Then they killed THAT guy off and brought in another superhero with a past to take over the role of Dr. Fate.

Then they killed that one and brought in the grandnephew of the original Dr. Fate who has the same name and is marrying a woman who has the same name as the wife of the original. *sigh*

I think things I love are just prone to this sort of treatment....take something I love and completely destroy it with "fresh ideas".

Anyway, here's hoping 5th edition has some sort of alternate non-SP time line. I would totally support that with my money.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  23:07:11  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I am very tempted to say "I told you so, Diffan" even though I did not, in fact, told you any such thing when you raged across the quote of Margaret Weis's post... Nonetheless, if (and that is a big IF) they revert back to the good ole Realms, Wizards might (again a bigass might) win me back as a customer. Words, and even if there are sources that appear to verify those, are just words. They lied about 4e being in the works, they lied about the GSL being as "user-friendly" as the OGL... fool me once and all that.

I did sign up for the open playtest, as I hope many of us will, and I will be vocal about going back to the wheel, and Sigil, and a pre-Smellplague Realms. Bloody points of light was, in my opinion, the worst idea they could have come up with in the first place.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  03:49:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Bakra
Some Realms cheeses pack a real wallop. Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue describes petrifying Death Cheese (made by blind monks who milk catoblepas), Damarite Bloodcheese (favoured by dwarves, 'nuff said), curry-spiced Green Calishite (which has brought low many a Northern barbarian), and intoxicating Luiren Spring Cheese (aka Mind Cheese, basically halfling catnip).

Interestingly, the Wizbro people seem to have been talking quite a lot about the OGL and GSL in recent months, even now they deliberately mention the GSL here and there to probe for responses. I'm hoping this means they're considering the possibility of compromising their license restrictions, although I think it'd be naive to wish for them to open 5E as widely to the competition as they did for 3E/d20.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  04:16:53  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though I am happy with Pathfinder mechanics for now I also signed up for the playtest and plan to give my input. I doubt I'll jump off the Pathfinder bandwagon at this point but I wouldn't mind finding a little cash to send WotC's way each month if 5e turns out to be great.

I'm hoping, but not expecting, a return to Planescape cosmology and pre-Spellplague Realms. At the very least articles like that Cormyr one(which I would buy if DDI sold individual articles...) that is (apparently)supposed to include 1379 and 1479 Cormyr stuff would give me interesting Realmslore that I would be willing to pay for, which is better than nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  05:04:49  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Hmmm... I am very tempted to say "I told you so, Diffan" even though I did not, in fact, told you any such thing when you raged across the quote of Margaret Weis's post... Nonetheless, if (and that is a big IF) they revert back to the good ole Realms, Wizards might (again a bigass might) win me back as a customer. Words, and even if there are sources that appear to verify those, are just words. They lied about 4e being in the works, they lied about the GSL being as "user-friendly" as the OGL... fool me once and all that.

I did sign up for the open playtest, as I hope many of us will, and I will be vocal about going back to the wheel, and Sigil, and a pre-Smellplague Realms. Bloody points of light was, in my opinion, the worst idea they could have come up with in the first place.

As far as the Realms go, I just don't care anymore. I've come to the very basis that they're going to do what they will and I'll either accept it, deny it, or pilfer it for ideas. That's all it means to me, because...frankly I already have the Realms the way I want it and "Official Canon" be damned.

As far as my reaction to Margaret's words, I freely accept that I'm wrong. No "I told you so" required. But I couldn't, in good faith, blindly believe in someon's words who I felt had a lot of animosity towards WotC. I just don't believe everything on the internet.

So, the whole reason I'm even doing the Playtest is so that I can help focus the new edition in a direction that doesn't stink (IMO). I feel 4th Edition, for better or worse, did a lot of things right when it came to the game-side of it and I don't want to see the traps of previous editions filter their way back into the game I've loved for over 13 years.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  05:22:39  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

As far as the Realms go, I just don't care anymore. I've come to the very basis that they're going to do what they will and I'll either accept it, deny it, or pilfer it for ideas. That's all it means to me, because...frankly I already have the Realms the way I want it and "Official Canon" be damned.

So, the whole reason I'm even doing the Playtest is so that I can help focus the new edition in a direction that doesn't stink (IMO). I feel 4th Edition, for better or worse, did a lot of things right when it came to the game-side of it and I don't want to see the traps of previous editions filter their way back into the game I've loved for over 13 years.

Take heart, noble Diffan. It may be better than any of us thinks (or hopes for). We just don't know, it's too early. I don't think they'll go the route of taking everyone's opinion and make a "lowest common denominator" type of game. It'd be too mish-mashy to appeal to anyone, really.

Personally, I think there are aspects of 4E that need to go into 5E. Somehow, they need to steer clear of Vancian spellcasting. Similarly, they shouldn't let balance go out of control with some classes. Other things, also.

WotC does have a big task on their hands, for sure. And I think their "give us your input" is honestly meant. I'm not sure they expected the current feeding frenzy that the WotC boards turned into today (or perhaps they did). But whatever the case, they ultimately have to make a game that is fun, points to the roots of D&D in some way, and regains (or maintains and increases) a significant audience in terms of customers. Those things alone won't allow them to go super-crazy.

And honestly, some things I say here, like "time travel 4E Realms into oblivion, nyah!" are really just my ultimate best case scenario. I don't believe that'd ever happen, and I'd accept a lot less. There are also likely better ideas out there, which I haven't heard yet.

So... buck up! It isn't over until the fat lady sings.

Edited by - Therise on 10 Jan 2012 12:23:11
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  05:37:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect Candlekeep's mods expected the frenzy, lol.

Some things have seemed a little too convenient, coincidental, and contrived here lately, when viewed in hindsight.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 10 Jan 2012 05:38:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  09:56:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Some things have seemed a little too convenient, coincidental, and contrived here lately, when viewed in hindsight.

I only expected it when I saw the same announcements everyone else did. I was already convinced they were working on 5E, but I didn't do the math and think about what the activity here would be, once WotC got around to announcing it.

I think it safe to say that I'm one of the last people WotC would want to give a head's-up to on something like this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  10:07:02  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I wouldn't know anything about they releasing any new edition if it wasn't for Candlekeep to be honest, my FR activity outside these forums and the novels is pretty lacking....

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  10:08:43  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
they need to steer clear of Vancian spellcasting.

Ahh and so the factions and camps start anew .

Vancian spell casting is part of the core of D&D for 30 odd years, its like saying priests can't cast prayers or fighters can't use swords. The 'fire and forget' system of magic users for me is a part of the game that must stay. It is what makes playing the wizard interesting, as a player has to actually think about their spell selection choice and make their scarce spells really count at critical moments in the game. Of course allied to that would be to remove the level caps on dice/damage on spells (why only 10d6 for a fireball when I am 15th level?).

I am not a fan of the all classes must be balanced against each other at every level that has happened in the rulesets in recent years, nor do I like the concept that classes 'cross over' each other in terms of abilities/skills/feats/insert other term here etc. For instance I want my fighter to be different to a thief, I want things that my fighter can do well to be specific to the fighter. I don't want a 'happy medium' that allows other classes to do some (any) of what my character does. I prefer traditional class archetypes to the more general classes and abilities we see in recent editions.

Each class should be unique with its own powers/skills/abilities or whatever other term people like to use and also with the 'pit falls' of things that it can't do (Hit points, choice of weapons, armour, spells etc). Making character classes similar to each other in 5E rather than distinctive would not be something I would want to see in 5E.

Just my thoughts

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  10:45:23  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vancian spellcasters are all thieves, a real mage would never forget his spells

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  12:21:18  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was actually referring to the WotC boards being a "frenzy", but I see that I must've dropped "WotC" in my post.

Here on this board, it's been calm by comparison.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  12:25:43  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I only expected it when I saw the same announcements everyone else did. I was already convinced they were working on 5E, but I didn't do the math and think about what the activity here would be, once WotC got around to announcing it.

I think it safe to say that I'm one of the last people WotC would want to give a head's-up to on something like this.

I was actually referring to the WotC boards, not this one. ENWorld had a heads up (and even a 5E early playtester), but both there and here (Candlekeep) didn't explode quite like the WotC boards yesterday.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000