Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The 4e Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30973 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  05:57:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

In my opinion, the campaign setting and the novels should be separate.

I just hate it when a big change comes about because a novelist got an idea in their head and writes a novel about it. Then we have future products that reflect that change.

Big changes don't occur in the setting because a novelist gets an idea... WotC decides to make a big change, and then picks an author or group of authors to write about it.

Authors don't have that much freedom on deciding what tales they're going to write, in any shared setting. It's dictated from on high.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  06:33:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Big changes don't occur in the setting because a novelist gets an idea... WotC decides to make a big change, and then picks an author or group of authors to write about it.
It can come from both.

I am not privy to WotC's current internal workings, but I am in agreement with Wooly that things probably come from the top (the top being a brand manager or a Vice President, the later having to OK the change if it's a big one) and it becomes the job of designers and/or novel authors to make things happen.

I do know that in the planning for the 3rd Edition version of the Forgotten Realms that the novels side initially had the idea to do a whole lot more damage than just destroying Tilverton, when it came time to introduce the return of Shade.

Novels and games got together and the idea was whittled down.

Of course, changes that make novelist's lives harder happen too, thanks to decisions game designers make.

So sometimes it's game designers, sometimes it's authors (and editors), and sometimes it's corporate bigwigs more concerned with counting beans than with paying attention to what the brand is all about. For example: https://web.archive.org/web/20140202043327/http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/gaming/forgottenrumsstory.html (paste the whole thing into your browser).

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 20 Dec 2014 06:34:41
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2014 :  00:11:36  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate to repeat what other scribes have said, but there really should have been an 'ALL' option. Yes, I didn't like a lot of the changes made with 4e (like many people), but I still found things I liked about it, just like every other edition of D&D.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000