Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The 4e Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Lady Swiftstrike Assassin
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  05:38:25  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
What edition if the Forgotten Realms do you prefer?

Choices:

1e
2e
3e
4e

(Anonymous Vote)

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  05:58:53  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Should have put in an all option.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  06:00:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as far as it goes there was very little 1st Edition FR, so far most was 2nd and 3rd.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  06:04:18  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2e for me. Highest quality lore, the most of it, covering the widest variety of areas. Plus the game system was easier to play.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  06:14:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I'm inclined to agree.

I really can't decide on which edition I prefer, because they have all -- at one time or another -- surprised me in ways that have made the Realms campaign experience at my gaming table... a delight for all involved!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  07:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No vote. I love the realms, regardless of which ruleset you use to define it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  10:47:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is the subject of this poll focusing on a particular edition, if the question is not about the 4E Realms specifically?

There should have also been an "other" option, for people that prefer more than one edition over the others.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  11:24:48  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2E AND 3E

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  14:37:49  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2E for me. Great balance of rules and character freedom. IMHO the later editions make characters feel like comic book characters with all of the added feats and abilities.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  14:40:29  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guides are so freaking amazing that 2nd edition wins just by merit. I also like that the 2nd edition realms wasn't as dark and RSE happened infrequently.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  14:49:51  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I tend to go between 3E and 4E, my favorite thus far is 4E but it's mostly due to the mechanics of the system rather than the whole boat load of changes. 4E FR is great and all, and I think over half of the changes they made were good (not a fan of the 100 year time jump) but it's also nice to fall-back on all the 3E lore I gathered to supplement my 4E games. If there is something I need a more indepth look at, I really don't need to go far to find relative information I can then build off of.
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  14:50:40  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Volo's Guides are so freaking amazing that 2nd edition wins just by merit. I also like that the 2nd edition realms wasn't as dark and RSE happened infrequently.

QFT

There were so many Volo's Guides still to be written. Regardless of which edition of the core rules (or whatever) one prefers, Second Edition Realms is far and away the superior offering.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  15:18:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

AGREED.

Like the other thread, this one is just too 'black & white'.

There are things I like about all 4 editions, and other things I don't - why should I have to choose?

I am not 'edition predjudice' - if I say I do not like something, then its because I think its just plain BAD, regardless of edition. If it appears I say that about one edition more then any other... well.. maybe someone should take a hard look at why. Its not MY fault I don't like something.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  16:12:05  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for another "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of poll, but I refuse to play this little game.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  16:19:48  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3rd ed is the one I learned first. Then I learned PF. Now I play PF/3ed.
I voted 3rd ed.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  16:30:39  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is really no right or wrong answer, though this sort of debate has the possibility to re-open the lines of negativity between the two aspects of the Realms.
Coming from an avid 4E fan and an all-around Realms enthusiast, it hasn't been easy coming to a place with a lot of negativity for something you love because the two (rules/setting) are so intricately intertwined. But the Mods have done an excellent job of making this place much MUCH better in terms of understanding and live-and-let-live attitudes between the peoples here.

It's been a pretty long while since I saw inflammatory, insensitive, or down right rude comments from either Grognards (is there a more P.C term for anit-4E people?) and 4vengers alike. It's been relatively peaceful, each side accepting that there are like and dislikes and leaving it at that.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  17:18:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Diffan, I'm of the opinion that you (foremost among the small number of 4E-enthusiast scribes) have been more influential in changing these attitudes here than you're aware. I've witnessed your example turn edition hostility into edition tolerance, even into edition curiosity. The only tools the mods have which you don't are sledgehammers and padlocks, and these generally aren't well suited for the sort construction you've accomplished. I vote +1 to give you some sort of "4E Pride" medal, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  19:02:23  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the rules of 4th edition better (except there should be nine alignments) but I don't like the milieu of the new realms after the spell plague.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  19:21:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow Ayrik, that really means a lot to me to hear you say that. I really appreciate the kind words.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  19:23:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:

QFT

There were so many Volo's Guides still to be written. Regardless of which edition of the core rules (or whatever) one prefers, Second Edition Realms is far and away the superior offering.

- OMH

I'm a huge fan of the Volo's Guides, myself... Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) is a wonderful resource, and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep is what made me fall in love with the setting.

If WotC was to publish those again, I'd go back to my old habit of running to the store ASAP to get the books, on the day of their release -- though I'd not be able to do it on my lunchbreak, anymore. I've switched my FLGS allegiance, and the new one isn't any kind of convenient to get to.

Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  20:39:59  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was hard for me. I mean, I was reading FR novels before I played DnD, (although it was Dragonlance that got me into DnD. go figure)so it's hard for me to be sure whether stuff I first read was 2e or 3e. I know some of it was both. I started playing in 3e FR, after learning to hate 2e (no offense to those who like it) and almost leaving DnD altogether.

I loved the 3e Realms. That, and the things I liked better about the system, helped keep in the DnD fold. Which is good, cuz I'm not sure where I'd have gone, at that point. Not a WoD fan, at all. Adventuring in Baldurs Gate, the ruins of Myth Drannor, navigating the politics of Calimshan...good stuff. There were definitely things I didn't like, though. I was happy when I heard that the world was getting a time jump. I felt like it was needed. The spellplague was a an interestin turn. I went back and forth on it a bit, at first, and now I mostly ignore it's remaining influence on the world, in game. I'm also not a big Far Realm guy, though, and to me they have a similar tone. Overall, though, I like the changes they made, and I like the story of the spellplague.

I was probably lucky, in that I wasn't into any of the places that are now no more, so that might have something to do with it. But I also started playing 4e with the 4e Realms, basically, and 4e is my favorite Edition, by far. These days, I'm incredibly inspired by places like Calimshan(one of my long time loves), Imaskar, Cormyr (another long time love, but different now with the cold war) and the whole standoff with Netheril. I love it. And we're getting a backdrop Rashemen article soon? Sweet!

We've played in East Rift, Waterdeep, The Dragon Coast, Loudwater and Returned Abeir, and I loved it all.

In the end, I have to vote 4e Realms. My Shadar-kai who used to be a Calimport Arena slave, who escaped in the process of assassinating his Air Genasi master in exchange for gold and a good horse from a rival, is just awesome. And my revenant halfling gloompact hexblade, whose pact is actually with Drasek Riven, and who hopes to help bring back Mask, by funneling power through his pact to Riven, who still serves the Shadowlord. Who is serving Riven in this way mostly because of his desire for revenge on the Shadovar. He's one of my favorite characters of all time.

I never had this much fun playing and building characters in the Realms. :D

Go to Top of Page

Lady Swiftstrike Assassin
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  22:44:26  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like an awesome couple'a campaigns, good (er, bad) Doctor!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  00:35:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:

QFT

- OMH

I'm a huge fan of the Volo's Guides, myself... Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) is a wonderful resource, and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep is what made me fall in love with the setting.
The various Volo's Guides are indispensable volumes for any true Realms fan. They bring a rich and vibrant life to the setting that I have yet to see reproduced elsewhere.
quote:
If WotC was to publish those again, I'd go back to my old habit of running to the store ASAP to get the books, on the day of their release -- though I'd not be able to do it on my lunchbreak, anymore.
Indeed. I'd even return to my habit of purchasing multiple copies of the same volume just so I can have a copy at hand in practically every "reading" room in the house.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  04:20:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

If WotC was to publish those again, I'd go back to my old habit of running to the store ASAP to get the books, on the day of their release -- though I'd not be able to do it on my lunchbreak, anymore.
Indeed. I'd even return to my habit of purchasing multiple copies of the same volume just so I can have a copy at hand in practically every "reading" room in the house.

I can't say I'd go that far, but I will point out that I've got extra copies of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and Volo's Guide to the North in my car, for those odd moments when I'm out and about and I've a few minutes to kill. I usually just grab one, flip to a random page, and start reading.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  04:40:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I can't say I'd go that far, but I will point out that I've got extra copies of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and Volo's Guide to the North in my car, for those odd moments when I'm out and about and I've a few minutes to kill. I usually just grab one, flip to a random page, and start reading.

The only copy of a Volo's Guide that I have in the SageMobile, is Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II. I don't really know why, but it's just always a fun read and I usually happen across some unusual tidbit that I can potentially use in a future game.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  05:03:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have Volo's Guides to ...
All Things Magical ()
Cormyr
Waterdeep ()
the Dalelands
the North
the Sword Coast

I'd never heard of Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate (I or II) ... thanx, I shall add them to my shopping list forthwith!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  05:11:14  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Swiftstrike Assassin

Sounds like an awesome couple'a campaigns, good (er, bad) Doctor!

Thanks! And heck yes they are. :D
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  06:10:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I have Volo's Guides to ...
All Things Magical ()
Cormyr
Waterdeep ()
the Dalelands
the North
the Sword Coast

I'd never heard of Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate (I or II) ... thanx, I shall add them to my shopping list forthwith!

There was no Volo's Guide to the first BG CRPG, beyond what was included in the gaming manuals for that game. The VGtBGII, however, was published as a supplement of sorts to the second game, and focused primarily on Amn, Tethyr, and some of the surrounding environs, though very briefly.

You can learn a little more, here:- http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/products/11626.htm

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  06:33:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I confess that I've never actually played the Baldur's Gate CRPGs. Would you consider VGtBG2 "canon" Realmslore, applicable to the tabletop setting?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  06:44:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

3E and 4E. But since I can only vote one, I'd go with the latter. I like where the Realms is at right now...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  06:51:22  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Ah, I confess that I've never actually played the Baldur's Gate CRPGs. Would you consider VGtBG2 "canon" Realmslore, applicable to the tabletop setting?

I have it, and I consider it cannon.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll