Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 January is Cormyr Month at D&D Insider
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2012 :  18:07:30  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I can finally announce that the Forest Kingdom is getting some serious love this month in Dungeon and Dragon Magazines.

Dragon Magazine #407 features the following articles:

"Character Themes: Heroes of Cormyr" by Dan Anderson
What does it take to defend the greatest kingdom in Faerûn? Become a Purple Dragon Knight or War Wizard to find out.

"Swords of State: The Royal Blades of Cormyr" by Brian Cortijo
Fall in love with a collection of swords that symbolize the honor and legacy of Cormyr.

"Crowns and Mantles: Cormyrean Ranks and Titles" by Brian Cortijo
Before you can rub shoulders with the nobles and military officers of Cormyr, you need to know how to properly address them.

Dungeon Magazine #198 also has the following material:

"Backdrop: Suzail" by Eric Menge
Visit a breathtaking city rife with intrigue and adventure. Enjoy the rumors, festivals, landmarks, and everything else Cormyr’s capital has to offer.

"Cormyr Royale" by Brian Cortijo
Compare the royal courts of Regent Alusair Obarskyr and King Foril Obarskyr, and see what adventures await in the Palace of the Purple Dragon circa 1379 DR and 1479 DR.

I'm tremendously excited to see the finished products for these articles.

Enjoy!
-BC

A note: all of these articles are behind the pay wall, and require an active subscription to D&D Insider. I would seriously recommend having a look, this month of all months, for those Realms fans that haven't taken a look in a while.

Happy New Year!

EDIT: The links to the individual articles no longer work, and have been removed. Links to the full PDFs at the DM's Guild have been added.

Edited by - Garen Thal on 03 Jan 2017 01:02:20

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2012 :  19:02:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really intrigued about what sort of Themes they're going to do for the Purple Dragons an War Wizards. They already have both of them as Paragon Paths, so I wonder if it'll just play up a more generic "Defender" or "Controller" feel, ramp-up to their respective paragon paths, or some other idea. The one thing I DON'T need to see is race/class prerequsites.

Swords of state sound really interesting, hopefully we'll get the official "Goblin-Thrasher" sword or some of the famed swords of the area.

All in all, FR is getting some ridiculous love these last few months (Kara-Tur in October and Moonshae Isles in November) plus the monthy Eye on the Realms by Ed. All around great information.

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2012 :  21:57:51  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, nice. I wish it was possible to buy single issues.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2012 :  23:11:47  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice! Hope we see some Myth Drannor soon too!
Go to Top of Page

smerwin29
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  01:03:36  Show Profile Send smerwin29 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

I think you can. I think you can get a 1-month subscription for about $10.00 (or something like that).
Go to Top of Page

smerwin29
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  01:04:34  Show Profile Send smerwin29 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Brian. I am looking forward to this month's content.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  01:08:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, when is Zhentil Keep month?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  01:13:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will probabaly renew my DDI sub for the month.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  01:48:54  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's not. It is, however, possible to subscribe for just one month to check out that month's offerings--and take a glimpse at what you might have been locked out from during previous months.

I know, given that I wrote three of the five articles in question, and have read through the Backdrop article, that there is a lot of lore in these offerings. For sheer page count, it's like a small (32-page+) supplement or sourcebook. The single-month price ($9.95) might be a little more than people are willing to pay for just that one month's worth of stuff, you can also take a peek at some of the other offerings yuo might have missed in the last few months--like Ed's Eye on the Realms articles, among other things.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  02:39:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It all sounds awesome, but the following two articles have deliberately piqued my interest:-
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

"Swords of State: The Royal Blades of Cormyr" by Brian Cortijo
Fall in love with a collection of swords that symbolize the honor and legacy of Cormyr.

"Crowns and Mantles: Cormyrean Ranks and Titles" by Brian Cortijo
Before you can rub shoulders with the nobles and military officers of Cormyr, you need to know how to properly address them.
The second article, more so, as it's always been something that we've mostly all been desperate to read about.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  05:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, that's been a long time coming. Congrats, Brian!

I am pleased that I got the chance to do some edits/feedback on at least one of those pieces. It's really awesome.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  13:25:56  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to ask (and I know you are expecting it! )

I noticed that the Royal Lineage is not part of Cormyr month. So any update on when the legendary document might see the light of day?

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  15:26:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe a part of the Royal lineage was done with the Backdrop: Cormyr article a few years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  15:42:51  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers
I noticed that the Royal Lineage is not part of Cormyr month. So any update on when the legendary document might see the light of day?
The Royal Lineage continues to be a "maybe, someday" kind of product. If WotC sees that there is sufficient interest, there might be some movement, but they already know that I want it printed; that it will take is eagerly-waiting Realms fans telling them directly (through emails and posts in the WotC forums) that they want to see it.

There is a glimpse of some of the post-4E additions to the Lineage in the Cormyr Royale article, but it is a pale imitation of the whole thing.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  15:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I believe a part of the Royal lineage was done with the Backdrop: Cormyr article a few years ago.
The Royal Lineage of Cormyr is a long document, no part of which has seen the light of day. Some information from it (such as dates of birth and death, as well as a few other important events) has made it into print/e-print in the past, but to date, the 'finished,' ever-evolving version of it remains on various hard drives in my home, and emails between me and Ed Greenwood, George Krashos, and a few, lucky others.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  18:09:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So one wants to see Cormyr do really well this month, and the lineage becomes all the more likely?

Ahem!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  18:21:48  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

So one wants to see Cormyr do really well this month, and the lineage becomes all the more likely?
One does, indeed.

The Lineage becoming a Thing (instead of an idea, and a file on my drive), requires two key things, in my estimation:

-Sufficient interest in the January Cormyr offerings on Dungeons & Dragons Insider (in particular the Cormyr Royale article), as measured in downloads by unique users.

-Stated, measurable interest in the Royal Lineage itself being published, accomplished by interested folks saying things on the WotC boards, through the various WotC emails, and other means of communicating directly with Wizards staff.

While it's true that designers and authors use Candlekeep as a means of measuring fan interest, it remains true that the 'keep is not how Wizards determines what fans want to see: they do it by counting downloads and reading their own message boards and email accounts. Which means if you like the Cormyr offerings this month, and want to see the Lineage or adventures in the Forest Kingdom or (*gasp*) a full Cormyr sourcebook, it's great to talk about it here, but it's still better to talk about in with WotC.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  00:44:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

While it's true that designers and authors use Candlekeep as a means of measuring fan interest ...
Purely as a curiosity, I'd probably start wondering whether this unofficial process has either increased or decreased with the coming of the 4e Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  15:01:51  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Backdrop: Suzail is up, too (see link up in the topic post). We're up to 31 pages now, with 3 more samples of Cormyr goodness to go!
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  17:41:19  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question. I don't subscribe to DDI, but this Cormyr month has me incredibly interested for the first time this last few years. I'm thinking about a 1-month subscription, but I don't like the idea of losing access to all that Cormyr goodness as soon as the month is over. Does subscribing for a month allow me to download(as a pdf or whatever format) the Cormyr articles or are they only available while the subscription is ongoing?
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  17:46:24  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

I have a question. I don't subscribe to DDI, but this Cormyr month has me incredibly interested for the first time this last few years. I'm thinking about a 1-month subscription, but I don't like the idea of losing access to all that Cormyr goodness as soon as the month is over. Does subscribing for a month allow me to download(as a pdf or whatever format) the Cormyr articles or are they only available while the subscription is ongoing?
You have the ability to download the articles during your subscription, to save them locally to a hard drive, print them out, or what have you. Once your subscription expires, you will no longer be able to log in to access any current or former D&D Insider content.

On the flip side of that coin, even a one-month subscription allows you to go and look at whatever's been posted to D&DI in the past, including wondering entries like Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms.

As a side note, if you're subscribing specifically to get access to the Cormyr material this month, make sure to let WotC know. A short email to dndinsider@wizards.com . That's their general feedback email address.

If you do decide to partake this month, I hope you find it worth it. There are already 41 pages of Cormyr goodness to consume, and still two articles left to go, so I'm fully confident it's a bargain. I hope you'll feel the same.
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  18:08:26  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, that's about the size of a Golarion pdf, a comparable price, and lore that I'd like much better. And I certainly will send an email to let WotC know that I'm specifically subscribing for the Cormyr lore material, especially the past lore.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  02:46:09  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smerwin29

quote:

I think you can. I think you can get a 1-month subscription for about $10.00 (or something like that).

Theoretically, anyway... at the moment, I've paid my $10 for nothing, as I still can't access any of these articles. I have a ticket number pending with WotC tech support. This, of all things, is why printed magazines are better.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  05:20:21  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strangely, it turns out that I can access the articles... but only the ones linked directly to from here. The internal DDI links are not activating for some reason.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  05:56:48  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have a link to the "Swords of State" article? It's the only Cormyr article I haven't been able to access. Thanks!

Hopefully DDI gets this link glitch sorted out... I can definitely see myself renewing my subscription if we continue to get articles like these... and if they get their technical issues sorted out.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  06:07:11  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Does anybody have a link to the "Swords of State" article? It's the only Cormyr article I haven't been able to access. Thanks!

Hopefully DDI gets this link glitch sorted out... I can definitely see myself renewing my subscription if we continue to get articles like these... and if they get their technical issues sorted out.

Swords of State is not yet 'published.' I will let the keep know as soon as it is.

It looks like the articles are not being linked live to the table of contents page. You should still be able to find them from the main D&D site, or from the "article archive" at the right.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  05:29:05  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Brian! I've managed to find my way around now... and from what I've seen of the articles that have been posted, I'm definitely tempted to remain subscribed... but the Lineage will definitely be the deciding factor on that. Excellent work, Brian!

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  06:15:29  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Thanks, that's about the size of a Golarion pdf, a comparable price, and lore that I'd like much better. And I certainly will send an email to let WotC know that I'm specifically subscribing for the Cormyr lore material, especially the past lore.

I've done the same, as well as asking for the Lineage. Everyone else who's interested, please do the same!

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  02:20:17  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to the Swords of State article.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  05:09:22  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there you have it, folks: 49 total pages of Cormyrean goodness.

Consume, and enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  05:18:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done. I just downloaded all of them and I'm pretty impressed. The only aspect I wasn't too fond of was the write-up of Ilbratha, Mistress of Battle. Not the lore part, that was awesome, but the fact that it changed from a Longsword to a Shortsword. Also, I thought the magical tag associated with it was rather *meh*. Not sure if you had a hand in the mechanics or not, but I had hoped for a bit more rarity in the weapon descriptions (properties and such). Other than that, I'm very happy.

Oh, here was my 4E take on Ilbratha, Mistress of Battle blade from a mechanical viewpoint in case people like alternatives.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000