Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 66

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1726 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  07:31:22  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Hail, me hearties! Hope the season is growing cheery there.

Is there a connection between Jhalassan Thond (contact for the Guild of Glassblowers, Glaziers, & Speculum-Makers in Waterdeep) or Srusstakur Thond (Master Mapmaker and author of Know and Vanquish Thy Foe) and Arabel's House of Thond?

On a related note, how far affield do Arabel's merchant houses range? I don't recall seeing them having bases in the other cities of Cormyr, but Peraphon (Thond) winters in Hillsfar. I assume agents of the other Houses are placed in various key cities too?

And an afterthought... do the members of the merchant house typically take the house name as their own (in the manner of "Jhalassan Thond" whether or not he's related) or is there more like "Peraphon of Thond" or "Somebody of the House of Bhela"?
Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Seeker

43 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  15:11:05  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message
What exciting adventures will the new chosen will have in 2013?

What is going happen to Elminister?

By the way can we have some e-books be in printed media?

LOL

Happy Holidays Ed Greenwood

"Software are easy to solve because they do not have egos. "
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  23:17:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! I bring swift replies from Ed to xaeyruudh.
X: "Is there a connection between Jhalassan Thond (contact for the Guild of Glassblowers, Glaziers, & Speculum-Makers in Waterdeep) or Srusstakur Thond (Master Mapmaker and author of Know and Vanquish Thy Foe) and Arabel's House of Thond?"
Ed: Yes. They all share a surname, and are (probably, way back) related, although the "Thond" surname, derived from shortening "Thongolir" (a place name for a vanished place and the family that dwelt in it), or from "thondal" (an Old Common term for a maker of slings, bowstrings, and leather tie-thongs), or from the ancient Southern explorer-hero Thondar, or from the old Tethyrian family of "Amalathond," arose in several distinct places, borne by different unrelated humans.
The first Thond you list is part of an old Waterdhavian family, that so far as I (and they) know is not related to the second Thond you list (his Thond family is or was scattered throughout Amn, Tethyr, and the Tashalar), nor to the third (the "House of Thond" in Arabel was founded more than a century back by Jamalathar Thond, who fled mercantile disputes in Sembia to settle in Arabel).

X: "On a related note, how far affield do Arabel's merchant houses range? I don't recall seeing them having bases in the other cities of Cormyr, but Peraphon (Thond) winters in Hillsfar. I assume agents of the other Houses are placed in various key cities too?"
Ed: Arabel's merchant houses do indeed have agents dwelling in such places as Hillsfar, Yhaunn, Procampur, Lyrabar, and various other Inner Sea ports, as well as traveling traders. They usually range as far west as Berdusk, as far north as Melvaunt, as far east as Aglarond, and as far south as the Vilhon - - but the bulk of their trade is centered on the Moonsea and providing an alternative (to Sembia) route west (halfway to the Sword Coast, i.e. Berdusk) for Moonsea lumber, furs, ores, and especially refined metals and cast metal goods (in return for various preserved foodstuffs, such as spiced alcoholic jams, that dwellers in the Moonsea North can use to vary and improve the taste of meats, turnips, and other locally-sourced food.

X: "And an afterthought... do the members of the merchant house typically take the house name as their own (in the manner of "Jhalassan Thond" whether or not he's related) or is there more like "Peraphon of Thond" or "Somebody of the House of Bhela"?"
Ed: The latter. The energetic, far-traveled merchant Ilmer Melthanton, a member of the House of Thond much seen passing through the Dales, is colloquially "Melthanton of Thond" and more formally "Saer Melthanton of the House of Thond."

So saith Ed. Swiftly answering easy but useful-to-many Realmslore questions, to bring cheer to us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  23:25:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And while I'm here, I might as well address these, from Lunarbeams:
"What exciting adventures will the new chosen will have in 2013?"
THO: New Chosen? What New Chosen? Do tell! (Ed certainly can't legally say much of anything about adventures ahead in 2013, whether they feature New Chosen or not.)

"What is going happen to Elminister?"
THO: Who is "Elminister"? A cleric with a death wish? All sorts of creatures tend to show up to try to slay Elminster, so if one of them mishears this name, whoever that priest is will undoubtedly have a dark and sticky time . . .
Now, if you mean ELMINSTER, the only answer Ed can probably give is: a lot of things are going to happen to him. They always do.
Not that we can share much, beforehand, of course . . .

"By the way can we have some e-books be in printed media?"
THO: I'm going to assume here that you're speaking of Realms fiction published by Wizards, rather than more generally. That's a good question, but one best put to Wizards, not Ed, because Wizards does the publishing. (Just for the record, Ed thinks ALL Realmslore should be available in e-book, printed, audio book, and Braille formats, simultaneously and all the time - - but then again, Ed isn't financially running any publishing company, and there are good reasons for that. )

So there you have it: answers from me, this time.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  23:29:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And I've just received an e-mail from the overworked Ed. Like last year, Ed is going to try, before the end of the year, to answer one outstanding lore question from every year of this thread (so, 2004 to date).
Scribes, Ed would like to hear your suggestions for which ones. He makes no promises, but will try to thoroughly answer what he can, of (what he considers to be) the "best" suggestions.
He wants to thank you for your stellar patience with him (some of you have been very patiently waiting for YEARS), and this is his small way of trying to provide paltry rewards for that.
So, please post your suggestions here (past questions, from every year of this thread) over the next week, and Ed will pen answers as he can.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  23:43:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. And now ANOTHER e-mail from Ed, this one a reply to this, from scribe Jakuta Khan: "Today i would like to know if with the hobgoblins in Faerūn, the females are also allowed in the actual "fighting" ranks of a tribe?"

Ed responds:

There is no "allow," because the elders of any hobgoblin tribe that hasn't been reduced to a handful of individuals by war, disease, or other mishap are at least half female, and usually more (60 percent or so). They discuss and advise any hobgoblin chieftan - - and although that chief (almost always male) has the final word, a chief who scorns, ignores, or disagrees with his elders repeatedly doesn't last long.
Or to put it another way, hobgoblin females decide for themselves if they'll be in the forefront of any fighting, unless the head of their family, or the ranking battle leader, orders otherwise.
Usually, the females keep back, because protecting the children (and hobgoblin children can be quite willful, easily stirred to rage, battle-fury, and pride, and want to join in fighting themselves) and by extension the race is their prime concern, so females more often defend a camp, stronghold, saethren (hospital for the wounded), dwelling, or moving group of the aged and children.
Most groups of hobgoblin elders see such service as more sensible and valuable than front-rank fighting. Whereas the males are seen as more expendable/replaceable, so their proper place is in the front ranks of battle.
So among most hobgoblins, the thinking is not "females are inferior" but rather "females are more valuable to the tribe/clan/family/group in these other roles" (protecting the children, tending the wounded, and defending the food supply and defensible refuges).
Some humans view hobgoblins as brutish beasts, with rutting males being reckless, unthinking nodes of "runaway destruction" - - but then, many hobgoblins view humans as deceitful and far too numerous and pervasive vandals who pry into every corner, and think themselves the rightful owners of everything not nailed down, not to mention every last stretch of ground not claimed by a more formidable human - - or in other words, insane vermin upon the land. :}
Heh. Hope that helps.

So saith Ed, ladling out another dollop of helpful Realmslore.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1726 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  00:57:48  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Thank you! Have we mentioned enough lately how awesome you both are? And feeling just a bit sarcastic, I see.

Regarding the outstanding lore questions, I think those who've been waiting the longest should be heard first so I'll pipe down... except to note that the Realms needs more Storm. Yep, definitely more Storm. In fairness, though, we need more Shandril too, and more Filfaeril, and more of hundreds of others. Surely one of them must be peeking out (probably to see who's about before emerging wearing a smile) from behind some old crumbling NDA.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29724 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  05:24:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

. . . And I've just received an e-mail from the overworked Ed. Like last year, Ed is going to try, before the end of the year, to answer one outstanding lore question from every year of this thread (so, 2004 to date).
Scribes, Ed would like to hear your suggestions for which ones. He makes no promises, but will try to thoroughly answer what he can, of (what he considers to be) the "best" suggestions.
He wants to thank you for your stellar patience with him (some of you have been very patiently waiting for YEARS), and this is his small way of trying to provide paltry rewards for that.
So, please post your suggestions here (past questions, from every year of this thread) over the next week, and Ed will pen answers as he can.
love to all,
THO

I don't recall in what year I first asked the question, but I remain quite curious about Rilantaver, the "elusive trickster" inventor of Rilantaver's staff (Dragon 173, the "Bazaar of the Bizarre" article on staves). This may or may not have anything to do with the fact that I myself identify as a trickster.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  06:08:02  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

Oooo! This will probably be somewhat easier for me, since I'm inclined to pick out any of the multitude of music-related queries that still remain to be answered.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  10:15:52  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
Dear Ed, dear THO,

thanks again and again for the detailed reply and insight given by the information it contains.

Thanks!
Jakuta Khan
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  13:01:57  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

1st request:
Did we find out who penned, 'Filfaeril, Bound and Willing?'

2nd request:
Back in 2009 Ed mentioned four unpublished Nobles families of Cormyr and provided lots of magnificent lore on three of them; House Arcantlet, House Bryarn and House Haldoneir.

I can't recall the fourth house being posted?

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 17 Dec 2012 13:13:17
Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Seeker

43 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  14:08:16  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message
quote:

And while I'm here, I might as well address these, from Lunarbeams:
"What exciting adventures will the new chosen will have in 2013?"
THO: New Chosen? What New Chosen? Do tell! (Ed certainly can't legally say much of anything about adventures ahead in 2013, whether they feature New Chosen or not.)

"What is going happen to Elminister?"
THO: Who is "Elminister"? A cleric with a death wish? All sorts of creatures tend to show up to try to slay Elminster, so if one of them mishears this name, whoever that priest is will undoubtedly have a dark and sticky time . . .
Now, if you mean ELMINSTER, the only answer Ed can probably give is: a lot of things are going to happen to him. They always do.
Not that we can share much, beforehand, of course . . .

"By the way can we have some e-books be in printed media?"
THO: I'm going to assume here that you're speaking of Realms fiction published by Wizards, rather than more generally. That's a good question, but one best put to Wizards, not Ed, because Wizards does the publishing. (Just for the record, Ed thinks ALL Realmslore should be available in e-book, printed, audio book, and Braille formats, simultaneously and all the time - - but then again, Ed isn't financially running any publishing company, and there are good reasons for that. )

So there you have it: answers from me, this time.
love,
THO

Thanks for the reply. I understand the reason behind the digital media and Ed not running a publishing company. (Ed does not need the aggravation or headache to run publishing company)(Ack little words always get me in the end) .

"Software are easy to solve because they do not have egos. "

Edited by - Lunarbeams on 18 Dec 2012 00:35:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29724 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  14:47:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

1st request:

I'm pretty sure we didn't, though there was a lot of speculation, for a while... I know I'd still like to know!

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  15:03:04  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

1st request:

I'm pretty sure we didn't, though there was a lot of speculation, for a while... I know I'd still like to know!

Pretty much.

I recall the Lady Hooded One responding to yet another roughly similar query back in ... errr ... August, I think. She teasingly answered that while some of us have come close, the actual identity of the the author remains unknown to us.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13276 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  17:04:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
My wish for questions: ANY question pertaining to geography (you know, like the name of the tiny range just north of the Citadel of the Raven ), whether they were my questions or someone else's.

I seem to recall THO promising me a name for a (thus-far) unknown (in the published realms) name for a fallen dwarf-hold in The North, that she had in her notes. Anything like that would super-awesome.

BTW, hope both of you (and everyone else here for that matter) are having a great holiday season. I hope Ed has the good sense to take at least a week off from writing - he needs to rest, and we don't want him to 'burn out'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Dec 2012 17:05:15
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  05:00:36  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, in many of Ed's novels, wizards who cast scrying spells sometimes do so without the aid of a crystal ball or mirror etc, instead creating a orb of magical energies focused on scring. How does that work out? Is making a scrying sphere better than an apparatus of scrying?? Would like to hear your answers and thoughts on this.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13276 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  16:19:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Not sure if this was ever asked before - are there any 'world famous' museums in the Realms? You know, the kind that have names everyone would recognize (like RW "The Louvre")?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1726 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  21:08:19  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Ooh, nice one Markus. I'd like to hear about museums too. I imagine some existed in the old elven kingdoms, like Miyeritar and of course Myth Drannor but maybe some others too. Which is just my way of saying I'd like to expand Markus' query to the collections of xenophobic cultures that might not be known/available to the general public. But his question is probably quicker to answer, so that's cool too.

Also, another easy query... the "dark shanut wood" bartered/exported by the villagers of Grunwald... is "dark shanut" the name of the wood/tree, implying the existence of light shanut elsewhere, or is it just "shanut" with dark being supplied as an informative adjective? I don't see any references to this wood outside of The Savage Frontier and Volo's Guide to the North... my bad if I'm just being blind.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  21:24:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah! This one I can HALF answer for you, xaeyruudh! (From my notes of playing and speaking with Ed, of course.)

There is no "light shanut wood," just raw (that is, growing or just cut or untreated) shanut wood, and dark shanut wood.
Shanut wood dries quickly, once cut, and splits into woody splinters (good for kindling, but not much else). Think of overdone roast beef: has a definite grain, and falls aparts in rough cylinders.
So to keep the wood useful (and intact for shipping, so it isn't all lost by falling apart along the way), the cut ends of shanut are stood in buckets or pools of oil (almost any oil will do), which the wood absorbs and keeps from drying out. In the process, it turns dark (readily obvious to the eye), and so is known as "dark shanut wood." A trade/vendor's term to assure buyers that what they'll be getting isn't useless.

And there you have it. A tiny fragment of Realmslore.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  21:41:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I was just searching for a very old note, and found it. So, Markustay, here's a start on a museums answer for you...

We Knights once, while underground, stumbled on a carved dwarf face in a cavern wall. Torm (the thief of the party, not the deity he was named for) fiddled with it, it did indeed prove to be a door we could open, and the small, spherical chamber (carved-out-by-dwarves cavern) behind it was a dwarf museum of sorts: fragments of broken weapons mounted in stone bases which were graven with the name of the dwarf who wielded that weapon, and brief accounts of their battle deeds.
I wrote down one of them:

Hadrorn of Clan Frundyn
Third of that name
Tuskbeard, Thaela's brother
Bold in battle, leaper onto the heads of dragons
His doom in the end, after six wyrms vanquished
Follower of Stormaxe, trusted shield
Another light lost. Worthy of mourning.

(Ed translated the Dethek for us, and of course wrote it in the first place. A curved shard of axeblade was mounted in the top of Hadrorn's stone.)
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 18 Dec 2012 21:42:29
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1726 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  00:04:26  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:

Shanut wood dries quickly, once cut, and splits into woody splinters (good for kindling, but not much else).

Nice! ...But that doesn't sound ideal for carving. Is there some sort of treatment process to keep it from drying out while the carver does his thing, and after it's turned into a finished piece? Or is it part of the style to make weathered-looking, somewhat fragile carvings? Or am I just not getting the right picture in my head?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  04:33:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, didn't state things clearly enough - - sorry, xaeyruudh!
The dark shanut wood retains the oil it has sucked up for decades (and so remains supple and durable for carving). When it starts to dry out (gets light in weight and goes light in hue), it can be set in oil to absorb some again.
So, choose oil carefully, or the carving will be either highly flammable or smell rancid - - or both.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  16:01:31  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hmm...would have thought there'd have been a flood of "Answer this one!" "No, answer THIS one!" posts by now, regarding Ed's offer.
Me, I'd like to request something new, that's also something old. Anything (ANYTHING) more Ed can share about the Border Kingdoms. Any era, any sort of thing...please?
Thank you in advance,
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  21:46:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Okay...ask and ye shall receive.
From my notes (direct from Ed):

The Border Kingdoms seem to be where wild turkeys, ruffed grouse, giant hedgehogs, and muskrats are all most abundant in Faerun today . . . not to mention edible snakes and giant wading birds. In the southern and eastern fringes of the region, young children with stones (and sometimes slings) can easily kill and bring back "wild meat" dinners in an idle afternoon.
Old tomes preserved at Goldenfields say game was last that abundant in the open country east of Waterdeep more than six hundred summers ago.

There. A tiny thing about the Border Kingdoms, but . . . 'tis a thing.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  02:18:39  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

There. A tiny thing about the Border Kingdoms, but . . . 'tis a thing.
Oh, you certainly know how to tempt me, my lovely lady.

More Border Kingdoms. More I say!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 66 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000