Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  01:00:29  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed. Hmmm. Interesting, that last one. I think I can guess what he means, but . . . we'll have to see. Ed is not Elminster, nor Elminster Ed . . .
love to all,
THO

We know Ed isn't Elminster and vice versa. El just rents a space in Ed's brain... overlooking the part of Ed brain which holds all of the images of sexy women, both real, fictional and create by Ed. A space where they frolic on the beach in the nude. Or whatever seductive dress Ed can come up with.

I think that was part of the rent agreement...

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  01:14:08  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message
Hi all (and by all, I mostly mean Ed),

I asked this over yonder in another thread, and was told it might be good going here to see what you had to say on the matter. Thus...

I'm starting to get back into the Realms again after a few years away from it, and skimming through my copy of Grand History, I noticed that it starts with the end of the great ice age and the sketchy rise of the Creator Races. What can you tell us about what was going on before that, during the ice age and whatever preceded it?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  02:03:29  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all! I bring the latest answers from Ed of the Greenwood, who has been very busy producing Realmslore these last few weeks, for your future gaming pleasure:

To Markustay, Ed replies: Yes. Halaster has used many likenesses, both genders, and quite a few names down the years. Most of the elder mages were in the habit of adopting guises to do risky, unpopular, or "against their established image" things.

To Dennis, Ed replies:
1. Old enough to know much better, yet young enough to go ahead and do it anyway.
2. Return to ruins, remember fondly what was once there, then track down what remains and seek to rekindle it.
3. That Manshoon and others who seek to wreck my work could be put in my boots for a tenday, to try to serve Mystra as I do, that they would see at last the true harm they do, the true cost and consequences. It would do my heart good to see them made wiser.
Yet ask this same question the end of this year (for thee), and I'll have a sadder answer for thee.

So saith Ed. Hmmm. Interesting, that last one. I think I can guess what he means, but . . . we'll have to see. Ed is not Elminster, nor Elminster Ed . . .
love to all,
THO

I can hazard a guess as well, but I'll forbear from doing so. As you know, Halaster has my attention at the moment, both before and after a recent PM exchange with Markustay, whom I see has preceded me to your scroll.

The fact that you haven't said anything at all re: my most recent speculation tells me that those NDAs on the Mad Mage are still rock-solid... or that they're taking a while to attempt to move. I'll try to be patient, but I was wondering if you might be able to answer another question based on your answer to Markustay (I'm expecting the current answer to be "NDA" but I thought I'd try anyway):

Was Halaster (obviously under an alias, of either gender) ever the Magister?

Edit: If so, I can make a fairly good guess as to which one, given the remark about "against their established image"... and that's all I'll say for now.

Many thanks, Ed and milady THO. Looking forward to the next Elminster novel... which still seems too far away... and to the day when we learn the story of the Mad Mage.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 01 Feb 2012 02:06:31
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  02:26:35  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all! I bring the latest answers from Ed of the Greenwood, who has been very busy producing Realmslore these last few weeks, for your future gaming pleasure:

To Markustay, Ed replies: Yes. Halaster has used many likenesses, both genders, and quite a few names down the years. Most of the elder mages were in the habit of adopting guises to do risky, unpopular, or "against their established image" things.

To Dennis, Ed replies:
1. Old enough to know much better, yet young enough to go ahead and do it anyway.
2. Return to ruins, remember fondly what was once there, then track down what remains and seek to rekindle it.
3. That Manshoon and others who seek to wreck my work could be put in my boots for a tenday, to try to serve Mystra as I do, that they would see at last the true harm they do, the true cost and consequences. It would do my heart good to see them made wiser.
Yet ask this same question the end of this year (for thee), and I'll have a sadder answer for thee.

love to all,
THO

Ut oh. :(
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  16:15:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you for that, THO (expected, but I always have to check with 'the source' first).

Here's a quickie: When was Candlekeep founded?

Anyone can answer that, if you know. (And not the website - I hope that was obvious).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  17:32:30  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Candlekeep was founded c.–200 DR, per Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (1993): Running the Realms p. 14.

Ed, how well do you expect the new D&D's silver coinage standard will match the Realms and your other worlds? I'm guessing well, since the original D&D money system was supposed to be specific to the Greyhawk Castle gold rush and analogous megadungeon settings.

Edited by - Faraer on 01 Feb 2012 18:36:55
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  20:04:42  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
HI Ed and THO...

First of all, I don’t know if this has been asked many times before or if this is correctly addressed at Ed, but here goes...

When speaking of mages... we or at least I have a tendency to think spell wise... Basically in game mechanics. But these very powerful wise mages like Larloch and so on and so forth must be able to work magic not indexed in spells... more like Dr. Manhattan manipulates matter.
So how or more correctly what is this form of manipulation, if any??

THX
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  20:21:02  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message
So, I've noticed looking at my new poster map of Faerun something I simply have never noticed before. How crowded the Northwest quarter of the map is. No big empty spaces there. So why are there huge blobs of nothing all over the East and South of Faerun. Even the Unapproachable East and the Shining South sourcebooks go quiet on many of these empty spaces. So what's the deal here? Is that a dearth of lore talking, or are these places really just featureless plains of nothing of interest?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  00:54:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

Can you clarify this... In the multiverse-spanning food chain, how "big a fish" is the aboleth Eldest? There's a claim from the Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy that it's (arguably) more powerful (and older) than Ao himself.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  01:24:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Why would Ed have an opinion on two things he didn't have a hand in creating?

Some authors adhere to the Dragonball-Z school of design. After you defeat 'the most powerful being in the universe', you then meet his 'big brother'... then his cousin... then his boss... then his sensai... then his mother's sister neighbor's kid's teacher's dog... ad infinitum. Otherwise you can't sell sequels (or new seasons, in the case of dragonball).

In others words, take it with a grain of salt.

Question: Are there race-specific terms for vampires? What do Elves call them? How about Dwarves?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Feb 2012 19:23:57
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  01:46:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Question: Are there race-specific terms for vampires? What do Elves call them? Dwarves?

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  02:30:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I could have sworn there was in the 2e complete book of elves... alas there was only that story of whats her name fiona soemthing the first elven vampire...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  07:41:56  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Question: Are there race-specific terms for vampires? What do Elves call them? Dwarves?

No, Mark, elven vampires are not dwarves, nor vice versa. I'll let Ed answer the clarified question.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  19:28:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Oh, you guys are a regular riot!

And didn't even realize how that sounded - it is pretty funny.

New Question: Ed, what would happen if the Weave was 're-booted' without the sentience of a mortal to guide it? Would people even be aware there was a weave?

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Feb 2012 17:18:45
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  20:46:26  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sWX8uWf2LhQ

Hope this works and Ed enjoys it and/or it lighten his day.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 02 Feb 2012 20:49:19
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  00:44:11  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message
Hullo, I've been perusing the Ye Olde Ask Ed threads, and finally gumptioned up to ask a question of my own:

Was Dugmaren Brightmantle (dwarven deity) an Ed creation, and if so, are there any fun tidbits you could share regarding the life of an adventuring specialty priest of his? I've read the stuff in Demihuman Deities and other official publications, and was wondering if there were additional or perhaps "behind the scenes" looks at his clergy that you might share. Also, where are the major centers of his worship? How active is Dugmaren in the lives of his worshippers? When a xothor rolls into town, are people excited to see him or do they immediately cast "Protection From Wandering Nutjobs"? I would love to hear anything you can share about this, thanks!

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  00:54:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

New Question: Ed, what would happen if the Weave was 're-booted' without the sentience of a mortal to guide it? Would people even be aware there was a weave? (but a more basic, less complex proto-weave).

I would love to see the Weave completely independent from any deity's control or "guidance."

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  01:00:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

In the present pantheon, are their any dieties you'd rather see dead? And are their deities that didn't survive the edition transitions that you'd want to see alive in the current timeline?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  01:43:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. And Dennis is the winner of a great big shiny NDA!
Ed would love to answer your latest question, but dare not say a word.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 03 Feb 2012 01:43:41
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  01:51:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hehe. I felt that coming. And I should have mentioned "except Azuth and Mystra" in my follow-up question.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  04:09:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
I would love that clarified question answered, too... my picks would be Bhaal and Myrkul, as both of them have the means to return (the Crown of Horns and the waters at Boareskyr Bridge); in fact, perhaps the Spellplague triggered something for both, as yet unnoticed by the Realms... Ed? THO? NDA?

Edited by - Jakk on 03 Feb 2012 04:09:59
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  04:11:22  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rils

Hullo, I've been perusing the Ye Olde Ask Ed threads, and finally gumptioned up to ask a question of my own:

Was Dugmaren Brightmantle (dwarven deity) an Ed creation?

From what I can recall, he was a member of the original core AD&D dwarven pantheon, and as such largely a Gygaxian creation... but I may be wrong here.

Go to Top of Page

Wolflord08
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  08:55:20  Show Profile Send Wolflord08 a Private Message
Hi Ed,
I am a big fan of the Harpers, and oftentimes consider myself to be somewhat of a Harper...so my question is, are the Harpers still active in the post Spellplague world? I haven't seen any mention of them in any of the books I've read so far, but maybe I just haven't come across them yet. I enjoyed the whole "Harper " series (I had to search low and high to find all of them) and always love their secret agent like ways. Thanks!

Wolfie
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  09:44:32  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Wolflord08, this one I can answer: information about the Harpers is there in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting. This book also brings information about elven bladesingers. IIRC, the Harpers were extinct and then refounded, and their base is in Everlund.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  11:00:21  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
From what I can recall, he was a member of the original core AD&D dwarven pantheon, and as such largely a Gygaxian creation... but I may be wrong here.

Monster Mythology was the first published piece for Dugmaren. He/she/it is not in UA (the original one) or in Roger Moore's deities articles from Dragon magazine, so I suspect that Dugmaren is not a Gygax creation (but I also may be wrong here!)

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  13:30:56  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message
Hello Ed.. Nice to see you happy again.. ;)

Which are the five best books that First comes to your mind? You can't think too much on it... Just to make you regret later, which ones you forgot saying.. LoL

And ignoring your books, what about FR novels? Again, the first five that comes to your mind.

Thanks Ed!

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Wolflord08
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  14:59:30  Show Profile Send Wolflord08 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Wolflord08, this one I can answer: information about the Harpers is there in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting. This book also brings information about elven bladesingers. IIRC, the Harpers were extinct and then refounded, and their base is in Everlund.

Hey thanks for the info!

Wolfie
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  20:01:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Rils, I THINK Dugmaren may be a Carl Sargent creation. Foxhelm, Ed thanks you for the chuckle (he has many Arrogant Worms CDs), and Jakk: the same NDA Dennis just found holds true for you, too.
Wolflord08, certain Harpers (such as Storm) have survived and gone on working throughout the 1300s and 1400s, so the Harpers weren't quite "extinct." However, they were no longer a Faerûn-wide organization, more like a 20-strong adventuring band that got scattered into loners, pairs, and trios all over the Realms, and didn't communicate much between each other. Ed tells me you'll learn a little more about the Harpers later this year.
And Markustay, Ed says:

A rebooted Weave without a guiding sentience would be like the restless waters rippling endlessly in a tiny pool that has a spring gushing into it: echoing and re-echoing all disturbances . . . and ripe for any sentience that has the means (or more likely, a lot of them, in a tug-of-war that could shatter some of the minds involved, once it turned nasty), to guide or try to control or dominate. "Interesting times," to be sure.

So saith Ed. Who is deep in crafting new Realmslore right now!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  23:28:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Excellent answer - thank you so much.

Its like the difference between a power plant and a lightening storm.

Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  00:27:00  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message
quote:
Rils, I THINK Dugmaren may be a Carl Sargent creation.

Groovy, thanks for the info THO. I'll just ask one last question about Dugmaren that Ed may or may not be able to answer - has he or his followers ever had a significant presence in the Realms? I know of maybe 2 or 3 references to his temples (there's one in Silverymoon I guess, and one down at the Great Rift), but that's about all I have been able to come up with.

Also, if I may ask another question - the magic lore on gemstones found in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical has always fascinated me, and I'm working with my DM on ways to incorporate it into the current version of D&D that we play. What was the inspiration behind the properties of the stones in general, and is there any other magical lore related to gemstones which didn't make it into that publication and which you can share? Also, how common is this knowledge within the Realms - is it stuff that most mages know, or is it fairly rare and limited to a few specialists?

Many many thanks!

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000