Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 66

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  20:14:02  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Ed and THO

Inspired by this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20166624 about Victorian Englands obsession with keeping elephants etc

Are there any collectors of unusual/exotic creatures and/or monsters in Cormyr. Not wizards turning them into raw materials for potions etc, but collectors who keep and feed and show them off?

Are there any rules regarding walking your pet tiger through the promenade in Suzail etc? Licences required to keep them?, how many can you have and what type's are allowed to be kept? (so for instance giant dire ostriches from the Shaar are ok, but chimera's are not ok )

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  20:49:25  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All, Survived Hurricane Sandy intact, hope others fared as well.

Ed my question is twofold, in your homebrew have the gnome tinkerers or any race ever been able to achieve creating constructs that basically can create/repair and evolve, perhaps shackling the elemental power source but giving it an ability to evolve as a new entity? Have gnomes ever succesfully placed their own life-force within a construct and still retained their ability to craft?

If yes Have any constructs manage to go into seclusion and create their own little niche in faerun and have any ever been able to learn to manipulate magic or become tinkerers themselves?

Any of note in 1370 period?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30434 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  22:16:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello All, Survived Hurricane Sandy intact, hope others fared as well.

Ed my question is twofold, in your homebrew have the gnome tinkerers or any race ever been able to achieve creating constructs that basically can create/repair and evolve, perhaps shackling the elemental power source but giving it an ability to evolve as a new entity? Have gnomes ever succesfully placed their own life-force within a construct and still retained their ability to craft?

If yes Have any constructs manage to go into seclusion and create their own little niche in faerun and have any ever been able to learn to manipulate magic or become tinkerers themselves?

Any of note in 1370 period?

Aren't the scaladar -- particularly Squch -- pretty much doing this?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  02:23:04  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Actually, I think one of the more recent DDI articles talked about something like this. Need to check.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1412 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  09:52:15  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Ed and THO

Inspired by this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20166624 about Victorian Englands obsession with keeping elephants etc

Are there any collectors of unusual/exotic creatures and/or monsters in Cormyr. Not wizards turning them into raw materials for potions etc, but collectors who keep and feed and show them off?

Are there any rules regarding walking your pet tiger through the promenade in Suzail etc? Licences required to keep them?, how many can you have and what type's are allowed to be kept? (so for instance giant dire ostriches from the Shaar are ok, but chimera's are not ok )

Cheers

Damian

I second that, but my interest is in Waterdeep and the cities of the North. In the Forgotten Realms Book of Lairs 2e game accessory there is a sage who asks the adventurers to capture a Cantobele in a swamp near to a forest, but IIRC the actual area is open to the DM.

EDIT: How about ranger and druid animal and "animal-like" (pegasus, hippogriff) companions?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 06 Nov 2012 09:59:08
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  17:47:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! I am back from assignment, and Ed is back from World Fantasy (for a few days, before he departs again for SFContario 3), and am happy to report that we and our families are all fine. The Sandy-related storms that hit our areas were violent wind and rainstorms that brought down trees (smashing some cars and homes) and took out power; the few Ontario deaths were due to wind whirling large things into people's heads or electrocutions among workers restoring power. The only effects on either of us were delaying Ed on writing some chapters of his Paizo novel due to the temporary loss of power.
So, to Realmslore replies...
xaeyruudh, the Old Grey Box is in error, citing "Maerim" (the father) in place of "Maerun" (the son). So, later source corrects earlier, and takes precedence. Which is the general, but not exclusive, rule (the reasoning Steven Schend cited holds up in some cases). Also, in any case of conflicting sources, bear in mind the purported viewpoint of the source: is it from an unreliable/biased narrator like Volo? Such a source, but "corrected" by Elminster or a sage? Is it simplifying more complex material? And so on.

I'll try to nudge Ed into yielding up some more Realmslore replies or nuggets I can present as partial replies before he trundles off again (and this one I will try to visit him at, and so fall silent here, as I'll be right in the vicinity).
Keep those queries, comments, and the like coming, fellow scribes!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  19:44:31  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Thankya! And I'm very glad to hear that you and yours are all safe. I assumed that Ed wasn't out performing repairs on downed power wires, but he is a man of many talents and surprises.

Welcome home to the keep... we missed you.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  22:21:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thank you! No, Ed wasn't out performing heroics. He did go out to help neighbors clear (cut up and split and store, to dry for future firewood use) some massive downed trees, and repair the fences and gates they'd squashed, and he did drive hot soup and tea and coffee to some folks without power, but that's normal good-neighbor stuff out in the country, not heroics. Up here, we have heroes for that.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  03:24:06  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I spotted Ed at World Fantasy off in a corner laughing and talking with Patrick Rothfuss and two older gents I didn't recognize.
So, was it just old/new friends getting together, or was something being hatched that Ed can share?
Inquiring minds yadda yadda . . .
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  03:27:16  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Heh. *I* spotted Ed off in a corner with the smashingly beautiful Adrienne Kress and Guy Gavriel Kay and two very good-looking female fans, and they were SINGING.
So, ahem, Ed, what was all THAT about?
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  10:40:25  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO, my question is what has happened to the dynamic of the Realms in general, since many powerful mages and magical personages have died/gone mad/disappeared. Are the common folk now more disbelieving of people who claim to be wizards?, are they less fearful of magic? Would like to know your thoughts on this.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

JPDeed
Acolyte

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  03:10:30  Show Profile Send JPDeed a Private Message
Hi ED/THO,

Regarding the ecology of the Lake of the Long Arm, just south of the Dragon Coast:
- are there any specific hazards (magical/biological/environmental) that are prevalent in this water body?
- Is it used for trade purposes, moving materials North to south?
- Any rumoured mysteries hidden in it's depths (And how deep is it)?
- Does it have a well defined shoreline, or do some of it's banks fall into wetland areas?
- It is suitable habitat for lizardfolk communities?

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  08:30:37  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Marsember is one of the recent entries on my haphazard index of the Realms. I noticed the "Marsember, mended!" article here on Candlekeep and realized that there is a lot of info out there on the city. I've been combing through the three campaign settings, FR Adventures, the 9410 "Cormyr" sourcebook, and now I've started on Volo's Guide.

Volo mentions several families of woodcarvers from the Old Empires who settled in Marsember long ago. I don't see any other mention of them. Can more be said of them? Which of the empires they're from, how long ago, names, ...?

Hope all is going well with the writing! My copy of Elminster's Realms is finally on the way and I'm bouncing a little bit in anticipation.
Go to Top of Page

JPDeed
Acolyte

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  16:10:33  Show Profile Send JPDeed a Private Message
Hi Ed/THO,

Are there any form of gladiatorial arena / games in any of the kingdoms/cities of the Border Kingdoms?

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14560 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  20:06:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Where the Tradeway* runs down through Amn and crosses the rivers Alandor and Esmel (at Crimmor and Purskul, respectively), are there bridges? Looking at a map of Crimmor, there doesn't appear to be one at that city, but I can't find a map of Purskul nor any reference to crossing those rivers (at least not in the BG2 Volo's Guide nor the entries for those two cities in LoI). If no bridges exist, then whats the deal? Regular ferry service?

Any scribe (like, lets say, Steven Schend) who happens to know the answer feel free to respond (and much appreciated).

*I see that the Tradeway has local names both north and south of Crimmor, but for the sake of this question I am sure you understand where I am talking about.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Nov 2012 20:07:26
Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Seeker

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  05:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message
Hello Everyone,

This may not be the right place to ask this question, and if it isn't, I am terribly sorry.

It is a question regarding the upcoming change in approach to the Forgotten Realms as a setting. I read that going on from here, changes will happen through 'shared experience', people playing published adventures, then submitting their adventures to WotC which then will incorporate it in the canon of FR.

Now on to the question:

How is this supposed to translate to people who don't actively play DnD or these Adventures but only read the novels? Will there be some Kind of Lore update books containing the happenings of said adventures (something like Campaign Setting updates)?

I'm really not sure if I will be reading novels and suddenly will have some background referred to which I don't know anything about because it was in this DnD Adventure sets.

So this is basically a lore question, albeit not about content details but transmitting details ;)

Thank you for staying put through my second language english,
Ere

Edited by - Erethar on 11 Nov 2012 06:02:16
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2061 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  20:15:54  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
You're not alone, Erethar. I would like to know this too. I primarily read the novels, so if it is up to gamers, I and others like me won't have much say in what happens.

And, speaking of which, I have my own question for Ed and THO:

I heard yesterday in one of these forums that Wizards won't be publishing anything on drow that isn't Lolth-based (except perhaps for Drizzt). This means that we won't know the results of Lady Penitent, or have more stories about the followers of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun (if they are brought back in the Sundering, which I sincerely hope they are). I like drow--they are my second favorite race next to elves--kind of ironic considering they're sworn enemies--but the stories about non-Lolthite drow and drow of other faiths had so much potential, and I think WotC is passing up a great opportunity. This is all just my opinion, of course, but I have missed the drow in 4e. I was hoping they would make a comeback in 5e. This is all just me, but I'm wondering if this is true, and if so, does Ed have a chance to change it? Non-Lolthite drow could follow the Seldarine I suppose, as Lady Penitent suggested, but if you can share anything, I would like to know the future of the drow in the Realms.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  02:41:20  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I heard yesterday in one of these forums that Wizards won't be publishing anything on drow that isn't Lolth-based (except perhaps for Drizzt).

Do you have a link for where this statement was made?

I'm not arguing with you at all... I just want to see WotC's statement before I let myself get upset about it.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  03:24:09  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:

AThis is all just my opinion, of course, but I have missed the drow in 4e. I was hoping they would make a comeback in 5e.

There are drow in the 5E play testing material, including adventures set in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14560 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  18:13:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
So, any hints about what Ed might be possibly working on ATM, other then WotC web articles?

quote:

I like drow--they are my second favorite race next to elves--kind of ironic considering they're sworn enemies... <snip>
Drow ARE Elves... just cursed ones (or Blessed, in their opinion).

Thats like saying I like dwarves and I like Duergar. LOL

Although I do understand your point - I do not like both.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  20:10:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, Ed described Crimmor in great detail in one of the Paizo-published, print-format DRAGON issues. There's no bridge, but there is regular AND quite frequent (in daylight hours) ferry service, not to mention a large amount of barge freight traffic up and down the river (to and from Crimmor's docks).
CorellonsDEvout, I have no idea if what you read about drow is true. I do know they will be very much "on the scene" in the 5th edition game and in the Realms. I'll check with Ed and get back to you, though I'd not be surprised if his knowledge on this doesn't run much farther than mine.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Nov 2012 20:10:44
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14560 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  20:36:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks for the quick response, which lead me to an updated map of Crimmor by Paizo. Finding maps I already don't have is always a treat.

I guess the amount of River traffic won't allow for bridges to even be considered, for either city.

New question inspired by this one - do any FR cities use tunnels to get past rivers? Seems that would be the perfect solution for Amn (although on a D&D world, you always have worry about what you are tunneling into).

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Nov 2012 20:36:44
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2061 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  23:10:32  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:

I heard yesterday in one of these forums that Wizards won't be publishing anything on drow that isn't Lolth-based (except perhaps for Drizzt).

Do you have a link for where this statement was made?

I'm not arguing with you at all... I just want to see WotC's statement before I let myself get upset about it.

Oh, sure, it's in the thread Drow Novels Other than Lolth-Based, on the second page, by Brian R. James. He said Wizards has no interest in publishing drow material that isn't tied to Lolth.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1369 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  00:32:39  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Markustay, Ed described Crimmor in great detail in one of the Paizo-published, print-format DRAGON issues. There's no bridge, but there is regular AND quite frequent (in daylight hours) ferry service, not to mention a large amount of barge freight traffic up and down the river (to and from Crimmor's docks).
CorellonsDEvout, I have no idea if what you read about drow is true. I do know they will be very much "on the scene" in the 5th edition game and in the Realms. I'll check with Ed and get back to you, though I'd not be surprised if his knowledge on this doesn't run much farther than mine.
love to all,
THO

Since Myth Drannor is kicking around, maybe we'll see the drow retake the Twisted Tower. I'll settle for every map Ed has on the underdark to keep them in their holes and underground too. ;)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  00:54:52  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Markustay, Ed described Crimmor in great detail in one of the Paizo-published, print-format DRAGON issues.
For reference's sake, I will note that this awesome article was featured in DRAGON #334.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 66 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000