Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  04:16:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
We've been told that Syluné had more of an understanding of the Weave that most other Chosen. I'm inclined to think that she knew she'd lose her physical body in that blast, but that she also knew it wouldn't be the end of her existence -- and she was willing to make that sacrifice.

I agree with Seravin. She was pulling an Obi-Wan and becoming something more than she'd been before.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  05:08:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I had, in the past, sometimes assumed that it may have been that Syluné's experiences with the "Scepter of Savras" played some part in allowing her to maintain her special Chosen status after her physical destruction.

We know the ability she gained while under the Scepter's influence enabled her to hold together when her physical form was destroyed by dragonfire whereupon she became a spectral harpist [of sorts]. It may have been that influence which also, while allowing her to remain intact, allowed her to maintain her Chosen status as well.

It's also possible that Azuth himself had some hand in Syluné's continued status as a Chosen of Mystra after her physical death -- given Savras's earlier treatment of Syluné while she was under his subliminal influence. Azuth may have felt responsible for unintentionally drawing Syluné into the past troubles experienced between the two deities. We can assume this may be the case, since we know Azuth has taken it upon himself to watch out for Syluné since her death.

Then Ed, in May '04, provided us with some tantalising tidbits about her possible evolution:-

"Well met again, all. Herewith, another of Ed’s replies:

Hi, Abizoath. In answer to your question: we mortals don’t know.
Sylune very much did want to be resurrected at the time of her death, though she now seems content with her lot (as a spectral harpist, able to possess the bodies of the living or manifest in ghostly form within a certain distance from any fragment of stone taken from the floor of her hut in Shadowdale [such fragments being carried by all of the Chosen, and also carefully placed in strategic places elsewhere]).

However, Sylune’s desires and the powers her sisters wield lead to the inevitable conclusion that there IS some sort of reason that prevents her from being resurrected.

The nature of that reason is where the debate rages. Strongest among the current theories is the thinking that Mystra (not yet Midnight, but she who was mother to the Seven) didn’t want her resurrected, or that Ao or some circumstances involving her silver fire prevented that resurrection.

Azuth and Elminster believe something else, however: that Sylune, in some ways the wisest of the Seven, was ‘ready’ for another step in the progression or ‘life-cycle’ of a Chosen of Mystra, ascending to another form of existence more closely bound to the Weave.

And that the Weave itself, or Mystra’s innermost self, or Ao or some greater power or intellect, was aware of this, and saw Sylune’s transformation as necessary.

Perhaps we’ll all know more someday. Perhaps I can seize the chance to write a novel about it, a few years from now. The debate will doubtless continue. What we do know for sure is that Sylune’s abilities continue to change and grow, that she is now almost an intelligent, mutable mass of silver fire more closely attuned to the Weave than any mortal, and that she knows only a little more of what she can now do than the rest of the Chosen do.

I’m thinking she’s going to surprise us all..."

And then, in Oct. '05, Ed said:-

"I’m not planning on restoring Syluné to “full life” because that wouldn’t be in keeping with Mystra’s Chosen, Syluné’s own character, or leaving some dramatic impact to her death in the first place. If everything can be magically undone with no cost, then there’s no lasting weight of meaning to any achievement or event."

Which, again, hints about the possibility that something about exploring her status beyond death, was possibly being planned.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  20:01:52  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message
Perhaps this could go to frequent as questions of all FAQ.

What is going happen to the Drow when 5th edition comes out?

Who are going be the new Chosen?

Thank you for bringing back Mystra not the Midnight/Mystra

Also love the crafting feat

"Software are easy to solve because they do not have egos. "
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  01:46:55  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I dunno if you do Thanksgiving up there, but happy Thanksgiving.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  03:26:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. We do, but in Canada we celebrated Thanksgiving a month ago, as we do every year, thanks to a colder climate and historically earlier harvest.
Yet thank you for the good wishes, regardless!

Ed's been AMAZINGLY busy these last few weeks, and continues to be so, but here are some swift replies:

Lunarbeams, your questions fall into the sort that Ed can't contractually answer, and that are partially not up to him, and that are also to some extent spoilers for you and everyone else if he does answer them. However, he and I both heartily understand your wanting to know. That's what the Realms does to us all: it grabs us, and we want to know more and ever more . . .

Seravin and dravenloft and Wooly, when Wooly posted "I'm inclined to think that she knew she'd lose her physical body in that blast, but that she also knew it wouldn't be the end of her existence -- and she was willing to make that sacrifice."
Ed responded like this:
I'm inclined to think Wooly has it perfectly right, here.

Wooly,
Ed agrees with you wholly re. switching industries and yardwork beating the boredom of mainline running. HO scale is his preferred (though he's helped friends with N and O, and began with Triang-Hornby "OO" scale (just a smidge larger than HO) in his childhood, and he LOVES little "crittur" switching locomotives, real and model. And no, like everything else, he lacks the TIME to enjoy that hobby.

xaeyruudh,
You're very welcome. Ed will reply in more detail to your post when he can, but let me just say that the front photo was taken by Ed's wife Jenny, years ago, and the back one was taken by Ed himself, with a timer - - and that Ed will tell you cameras don't much like him, and there are far better photos of him in Elminster rig "out there" for you to find, if you're not careful. Not to mention a screamingly funny one of me as She-Conan, Nearly Nude Barbarian Swordswoman, with Ed clad in a brass brasserie and panties curled around my ankles like all of those Frazetta women he painted draped around Conan's feet.

Which is as good a place to end this post as any.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  06:16:08  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
I just got my copy of Elminster's Forgotten Realms in the mail today, and have been briefly skimming through it. While I may come up with other questions later, one thing did catch my eye on page 87, in a Realmsplay evening from 1978:

"That's all right," one player snarled, in character. "We'll eat the monsters we kill - wyverns first!" Then he looked at me, out of character, and asked, "We can do that, right? I mean, they're edible, aren't they?"

Would Ed happen to remember which player this was, and/or which character? And does he have any particular favourites among wyvern recipes (along with substitutes for real-world meats?)?

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  19:20:15  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Not to mention a screamingly funny one of me as She-Conan, Nearly Nude Barbarian Swordswoman, with Ed clad in a brass brasserie and panties curled around my ankles like all of those Frazetta women he painted draped around Conan's feet.

Well. With this new information in mind, I may need to rewrite my wishlist for the wall overlooking my gaming table.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  23:03:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.

To xaeyruudh:

To The Sage: re. this: "Ed, I'm posing the first of what I suspect will be many questions I have from my reading of Ed Greenwood Presents...
It concerns the section on [surprise, surprise] "Elven Music" from pg. 188. You've told us that elven songs are often sung with multiple and overlapping vocalists singing different words at once.
I'm curious, though, about how likely the number of multiple vocalists might be comprised of the differing elven sub-races, and whether the different words being sung, might be expressed in any of the sub-racial variations of the dialects between the elven races?
For example, are you suggesting that it will almost always be just multiple moon elves singing? Or some moon elves, a couple of wood elves, and, yes, perhaps, even a few gold elves, all singing together and drawing the entirety of the song's lyrics from their own unique languages?
Much appreciated, as always."

Ed replies: Hi, Sage. I'm thinking USUALLY the elves will all be of one "sort," just because family and within-a-settlement gatherings to sing will be far more frequent than singing occasions in cities, market-moots, and other "lots of different flavours of elves together" events. But yes, elves will intuitively/naturally specialize according to the timbre of their own voices (BTW, elves can hear their own voices far better than humans can; i.e. hear them as others hear them, thanks to the internal shape and chambers of their ears), when they're singing in a group, unless being led or "taught" otherwise, so someone with a low, rich voice will use it to fill out the lowest notes, someone who can soar will do so, and so on. Think of the overdubbed Enya "self-chorus" songs (not to mention many similar "blended medieval/folk voices" vocal efforts, such as Anonymous 4), and you'll know the effect I'm trying to describe.
Hope this helps, as a start.

So saith Ed, longtime chorister.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  18:29:59  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I'm searching for a Realms reference about "Hyldur the Black Blade." And, obviously, can't find it. Is this something I just HEARD Ed mention, in one of his GenCon seminars or panels, or do you (or any Realms scribes) recall where it was printed?
My cryptic notes are these:
"Hyldur the Black Blade. Dead mercenary, impersonated/hoaxed by Athkatlan merchant to scare deadbeats into paying up."
I'd love to know more. Which merchant, for instance.
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  20:45:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Blueblade! I'm thinking it may be "not in print" Realmslore, because my notes on Hyldur are similarly brief and cryptic. As follows:

Hyldur the Black Blade: vicious mercenary of eastern Amn, often hired to hunt down debtors and thieves in the wilderlands of Amn and Tethyr. Killed by bodyguards of the merchant Althus Baerond in Athkatla, spring of 1359 DR. Remembered in Athkatla and Crimmor as a nasty, gleeful torturer and intimidator.

So we'll have to see what Ed can add to that. I KNOW we Knights once saw Hyldur, and that he had blonde hair but dark red, trimmed short beard and sideburns.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2012 :  16:18:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Blueblade, heeeere's Ed on Hyldur the Black Blade:

Hyldur grew up in the streets of Athkatla, and survived as long as he did because early on he came to a secret agreement with the rulers of Amn: he would lay off person they told him to leave alone, on "lean on" persons they wanted harassed, and in return they would let him operate unmolested by watch officers/lawkeepers throughout Amn (but at his own risk).
Hyldur died as THO has posted, when he got overconfident and "pushed" a fight against a merchant who was prepared for him. In the following year, another merchant of Athkatla, Kalist Salragundrar, started settling debts/coercing business contacts into "seeing things his way" by claiming that Hyldur was still alive, and was secretly working for him. (In other words, "give in or in the middle of the night, no matter where you hide or how you try to defend yourself, Hyldur will pay you a call.")
This wasn't true, as Hyldur was dead and hadn't risen or become undead, but on occasion Salragundrar (a "manygoods" importer and exporter who did a thriving sideline business in stolen goods and contraband [[wares that had eluded duties, fees, and taxes]]) hired another "bullyblade" to do such "dark hours dirty work" in the name of Hyldur, to keep up the deception.
Eventually public opinion in Athkatla reached the view that Hyldur was dead and Salragundrar was deceiving everyone. This happened at about the time Salragundrar hastily relocated to Mintarn, a step ahead of the murderous agents hired by a cabal of merchants he'd imprudently disagreed with.
Salragundrar still survives, as of this writing, but Hyldur's still dead. :}

So saith Ed. Who's still busier than busy, trust you me.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2012 :  21:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Given all the flap erupting right now re. the new "Gygax Magazine," can you share any hint with us as to if Ed will be writing for it? Or is it too soon?
Thanks...
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2012 :  23:52:17  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

Can you say anything about what's going on with the Forgotten Realms comic book? It was announced as an ongoing series, but there was no solicitation for a 6th issue, and the ending of #5 makes it seem like it's finished. Is that it, and if so, why? I know some people griped about the lack of familiar characters, but I figured you were just building things up before bringing in the heavyweights. Were you able to do what you wanted/intended with the series?
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  04:40:26  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, in many of Ed's novels, wizards who cast scrying spells sometimes do so without the aid of a crystal ball or mirror etc, instead creating a orb of magical energies focused on scring. How does that work out? Is making a scrying sphere better than an apparatus of scrying?? Would like to hear your answers and thoughts on this.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  17:26:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Malcolm, it's too soon. I don't think Ed has been asked to write anything.

CylverSaber, I THINK plans at Wizards have changed. There will be an FR comic book, but written in-house, I think, to (I'm guessing, here) support The Sundering. My opinion is that Ed was able to establish new characters, give them foes, and get them to The Border Kingdoms, where he could start telling new stories with full freedom, some of them involving well-known established Realms NPCs...but then "plans changed," and the book abruptly ended right there.
However, that's just my reading of matters.
Must talk to Ed and see what he can add (and of course that goes for Xar Zarath's scrying question, doubled).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  17:50:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Uh-oh... sounds like much over-thinking is going on again. {sigh}

So plans changed to once-again focus on an RSE-driven uber plot. Here we go again.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  18:01:38  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Malcolm, it's too soon. I don't think Ed has been asked to write anything.

CylverSaber, I THINK plans at Wizards have changed. There will be an FR comic book, but written in-house, I think, to (I'm guessing, here) support The Sundering. My opinion is that Ed was able to establish new characters, give them foes, and get them to The Border Kingdoms, where he could start telling new stories with full freedom, some of them involving well-known established Realms NPCs...but then "plans changed," and the book abruptly ended right there.
However, that's just my reading of matters.
Must talk to Ed and see what he can add (and of course that goes for Xar Zarath's scrying question, doubled).
love to all,
THO

Very interesting, I did not know any of that! I gather from what you are saying that Ed will not have a hand in the in-house FR comics, which is a shame. I really enjoyed seeing his stories brought to life by Lee Ferguson and Sal Buscema, and was eagerly awaiting the portrayal of some of those well-known NPCs in action. I also had a wishlist of artists I hoped to see Ed work with on future stories... I know it would have been a longshot, but imagine Neal Adams and Ed working together! Maybe someday...
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2012 :  08:48:38  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
Of godly spite

Hi all.

I would love to know a little more about how the gods feel (and act) regarding those they dislike. Specifically:

• If a god really hates some mortal, what can they do, and what do they do? Considering Ao's rules; plus whether other gods are willing to protect the mortal; and so on.

• Could we know a little more about clerics who change divine allegiance? If a cleric of Ghaunadaur becomes a cleric of Eilistraee (a rather different deity), how hard would it be for him to adapt and learn the proper rites and liturgy? Also, if instead a cleric of Lolth converted to Eilistraee, how far would the mother Goddess' seething go in seeking revenge against her former servant? Finally, how rare are priests who convert?

• The Baldur's Gate series had an interesting character who learned to worship two gods of different pantheons who were in good terms, and supposedly received her spells from either one. Are there rules against this other than divine envy?

Thank you, O dear Ed, and thank you most fair Lady of the Hood.

Edited by - Infamous on 27 Nov 2012 08:54:56
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2012 :  21:01:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Infamous, here we go: what follows are my words, but based on extensive notes I've made after talking these things over with Ed many, many times down the years of play:

"If a god really hates some mortal, what can they do, and what do they do? Considering Ao's rules; plus whether other gods are willing to protect the mortal; and so on."
A: They CAN do just about anything, but they very seldom act directly against any mortal (instead, they direct their own mortal agents to act against that mortal). This is where Ao's rules come in, and mutual deterrence. Whenever a god acts directly, it's carte blanche for another deity to act directly against THEM. So it's very much a last resort, because unless a god is so insane that they don't wish to survive, they "won't go there."

"Could we know a little more about clerics who change divine allegiance? If a cleric of Ghaunadaur becomes a cleric of Eilistraee (a rather different deity), how hard would it be for him to adapt and learn the proper rites and liturgy? Also, if instead a cleric of Lolth converted to Eilistraee, how far would the mother Goddess' seething go in seeking revenge against her former servant? Finally, how rare are priests who convert?"
A: Full converts are rare, there should be no direct revenge (Ao-forbidden, though arranged "accidents" have been known to happen), and difficulty of adoption depends on the individual. Old habits and ways of doing things die hard; Ed describes this by describing a painter who must abandon painting and be only a sculptor, henceforth. It's "start over and stumble" time, but how long and hard the awkward patch will be varies with individuals. Ed always stresses that it's NOT the world-view-shaking matter most gamers envisage it as, because mortals in the Realms are polytheists who "believe in" and "know about" ALL the gods, not "my God is the only real one" monotheists (in the Realms, those individuals are thought to be mad fanatics).

"The Baldur's Gate series had an interesting character who learned to worship two gods of different pantheons who were in good terms, and supposedly received her spells from either one. Are there rules against this other than divine envy?"
A: There are no Ao rules against this, but most deities frown on it purely for control reasons. Wise deities (Mystra, for example) know that mortals work best, and better the Realms for all, when left as independent as possible (and so are more likely to "share" a mortal, even clergy, than other deities); this is why Bane and other harsh-controlling deities often achieve so little, even with so much military buildup.

There. Hope these replies are of help.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

LadyRhian
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  03:35:06  Show Profile  Visit LadyRhian's Homepage Send LadyRhian a Private Message
Um, um... my question about the Realms' attitude towards non-standard sexualities. and festhalls for such?

I'd be grateful for an answer...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  03:50:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LadyRhian

Um, um... my question about the Realms' attitude towards non-standard sexualities. and festhalls for such?

I'd be grateful for an answer...

To quote myself...

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ed is one insanely busy guy. He has a creative output to rival that of the hypothetical Shakespearean monkeys, on top of a day job and other commitments. On top of that, he doesn't always have the answer to any given question readily available -- there is much Realmslore to be found piled in boxes and such in his legendary basement. And on top of that, he treads an ever-shifting minefield of NDAs and projects he has to avoid speaking on. Sometimes he can't even mention an NDA without giving something away.

So, long story short -- your question has been forwarded to Ed. He may answer within hours, you may be waiting for a few years -- I've got unanswered questions going back at least 3 or 4 yours, myself.

Even being able to email him directly doesn't guarantee a swift answer to a lore question...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  04:43:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, I'm trying something new with my email evocations, so don't be too alarmed if you suddenly receive an odd message from myself.

Hopefully you'll be seeing the new result shortly.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  07:41:50  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message

It was a wonderful reply, Hooded One.

Thank you. Changing divine allegiance seems to be a hook for so many great stories, because in a way they are three things in one: the shift to a new job; the shift to another culture; and a heartbroken relationship with a former (divine) beloved.
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  07:49:54  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
Now, a question for The Hooded One (not for Ed)

Did you ever consider writing Forgotten Realms novels (or any kind of book)? Maybe not right now, but as a long-term plan.

I am realizing that Ed's brain is so huge that we will never download it fully, which is a pity. But you love the subject so much, and you know so much, that you could be a great storyteller in your own right telling these great stories.

You write well. If your concern is about story development, there is a wonderful guy you can ask, isn't there?

In the name of us all, we ask pretty please. The request is real, but the mood is light -- we know you have a life, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  13:36:16  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
If I remember correctly, Our Lady of the Hood is actually in business of taking the dreams of authors and squashing them like an annoying bug (probably whilst laughing diabolically as she places the fruits of the authors' hard work in the shredder, which I imagine is actually a furnace) - in other words, she's an editor!

(Just kidding Lady Hooded One - editors are great people.)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 28 Nov 2012 13:38:07
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  16:13:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Wait no longer, LadyRhian! I poked Ed rather effectively this morning, and he rendered up this reply:

Hi, LadyRhian. Thanks for your questions, and here we go…
The rules governing the lives of monks vary from faith to faith and even from holy order to holy order, but in general, monks aren’t celibate, and are allowed to have long-term relationships (both formal [[marriage]] and informal). However, they often aren’t allowed to marry until they have fulfilled a personal quest, holy task, “degree of enlightenment” or other spiritual training or attainment.
In theory, decisions as to sexual conduct of monks are made by the deity; in practice, the abbot or prior or heirophar or (insert title of head of monastery here) makes the decision, and if a deity disagrees, dream- or altar-visions are sent to both the superior and the monk concerned, and the decision is altered. In general, an order will have “teachings” that outline rules that postulants (would-be monks) agree to accept as a condition of joining. In the Realms, all sane deities accept that mortals grow and change throughout life, so no choices or decisions are necessarily “final” and irrevocable. Circumstances change, and so do people.
Almost all monastic communities (except for the most remote mountain and cavern ones) have nearby or even surrounding settlements full of “lay” folk, and these include the families of monks - - and yes, indeed, the children of clergy (including monks) are seen as “the first and most fertile of ground” for finding future clergy (including monks).
Some orders take vows of chastity or seclusion from the secular world or the company of other genders, but it should be noted that such faiths almost always observe annual holy festivals during which these vows are relaxed or specifically set aside (so there can be fraternization, lovemaking, “unwinding” of cares, and so on).

As to sexual attitudes in the Realms, there is indeed local prejudice against individuals who have “different” or “unusual” sexuality—bigotry and a dislike of change and “what’s not usual” is everywhere and is (unfortunately) part of being human.
Specific religions often invoke temporary abstinence as punishments for transgressions against the creed of the faith, but other matters sexual are usually ignored in doctrine, rather than policed by doctrine (consecration or baptism of willing, old-enough-to-choose offspring being an important exception; this is urged and promoted by almost all Faerûnian faiths).
Yet in a polytheistic setting in which everyone “believes in” and worships (in some fashion, even if it’s only “Here’s a prayer, now please don’t bother me today”) ALL of the gods, clergy avoid endorsing discrimination against someone because of sex. Which doesn’t mean they won’t severely speak to someone they think does something inappropriate, like trying to fornicate with grieving individuals at a funeral, or anyone forcing their attentions on someone except a recipient receiving such attentions as part of a ritual to Loviatar or Sharess or Sune or Shiallia the recipient has agreed beforehand to take part in, and knows what this will mean [[in other words, self-chosen submission is acceptable, but being on the receiving end of forced and unwanted sex is not]].
Shiallia wants all creatures to reproduce and multiply, which means fertile females should engage in sex with partners of their choice, regardless of their marital state (and all devout worshippers of the goddess should help in the feeding and rearing of said offspring); it does NOT mean those fertile females have to accept the advances of every passing creature.
In general, “anything goes” in the wilderness, the settled status quo is most valued (and adhered to) in small villages and towns, and as places get larger and have more contact with the wider Realms (market towns, being on caravan routes), the more tolerant and varied sexuality can be found and is tolerated/ignored. Bisexual characters exist in the Realms and always have done, as have “out” homosexual characters, May/December partnerships, polygamy, and just about everything else.

Yet matters sexual are seldom the “big deal” in the Realms that it is in any real-world area dominated by one faith, where clerics of that faith presume to tell others “how to behave.” The polytheistic nature of the Realms is one reason for this, and another is the D&D® game itself, that with its array of sentient races, presents what some would call “bestiality” or other terms for “coupling with other races” as a fait accompli (otherwise, there would be no “half-elves” or “half-orcs”).

Yes, this has all been discussed before, but that’s okay. The computerized search-fu in the Keep is frail, but the minds of its scribes are sharp, quick, and apt to dredge up old lines from older scrolls when the need arises.
The beauty of fantasy roleplaying, and the Realms, is that anyone playing in it can include or leave out or ignore or gloss over what they want to or are most comfortable with. The darkness creeps in when one player or group tries to impose their preferences on everyone else.

Some festhalls, brothels, and clubs signal whom or what they cater to, but most don’t; locals just “know” (and tavernmasters and innkeepers will discreetly answer queries as to “where to go” without misleading or reacting with hostility to such questions; correctly guiding guests without making judgments is just part of their livelihood). Carved signboards are the most common advertisement (depicting entwined, kissing couples or triads or quartets, usually in no more detail than heads, arms, shoulders, and bared breasts, with the participants indicating what “goes” inside: for example, two men together, or a lizard man and a human female, with a free hand raised to hold a glass if it’s also a drinking club, or holding a hand of cards or a platter of food to indicate a gambling establishment or that food is served, and so on).

Speaking of which, I must rush to prepare lunch and then commute to work at the library now, so I hope this scratch-the-surface reply will suffice. By all means ask more questions. My replies can sometimes take years, but I will try to get to everything . . .
Ed

So saith Ed, creator and Godfather of the Realms (no, not the Mafiosi kind!).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  16:17:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And Infamous,
I would LOVE to write Realms fiction, but my security-related day job requires approval for my every public utterance (and publishing my written words is very much a "public utterance"). Being as even basic approvals for simple things like answering yes/no questions can take six months or more, I'd die of old age before I got a novel MS approved. It's the main reason I post here under a pseudonym.
And Kajehase is right: I AM an evil editrix. Complete with stiletto-heeled boots and whips. I sometimes require perpetrators of bad writing to flog me severely.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 28 Nov 2012 16:17:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  16:26:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

If I remember correctly, Our Lady of the Hood is actually in business of taking the dreams of authors and squashing them like an annoying bug (probably whilst laughing diabolically as she places the fruits of the authors' hard work in the shredder, which I imagine is actually a furnace) - in other words, she's an editor!

(Just kidding Lady Hooded One - editors are great people.)

Ah, but her commentary here inspires a great many dreams -- but not necessarily the same kind of dreams as those authors have.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  18:29:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Why, Wooly dear, whatever do you mean?
I'll just settle into this chair, resplendent in my wristwatch, smile, and killer heels (all I'm wearing), and smile into my computer's little camera.
Pity it's off.
Ahem.
I bring you all the words of Ed in reply to rjfras, re. this: "In Ed's Crimmor article in Dragon 334, I have questions about three words he used.

1) sward-feast (picnic) - is this a realms wide word or local to Amn? If local, what other areas use it and what word is used in other area of the realms like Cormyr, Waterdeep, Tethyr, Lapaliiya/Tashalar?

2) throus (local name for leeks) - same question as 1. what are they called in other areas like Cormyr, Waterdeep, Tethyr and Lapaliiya/Tashalar if not the same?

3) Alandor drusk - (catfishlike bottom feeder) - obviously Alandor is the river, but is drusk used in other regions (Cormyr, Waterdeep, Tethyr and Lapaliiya/Tashalar) for the same type of fish or do they only exist in the Alandor river?

Thanks!"

Ed replies:
1. "Sward-feast" is spreading via trade-routes all over the Realms, but "hathlarr" is an older and more formal term throughout the Sword Coast and Heartlands, and "tlench" (from the halfling tongue, in which "tlench" is a swift, portable meal) is widely used in the Inner Sea lands. In the Tashalar and all the coasts of The Shining Sea, "nlanpur" is any meal eaten in the open, at a place not equipped for dining (i.e. if you eat on an outdoor terrace with chairs and tables, the meal isn't a nlanpur, but if you eat in a stables or out back in a field, it is).

2. Leeks are called "shuss" in the Inner Sea lands, "whitebolts" along the Sword Coast, and "dlunlaer" in the Shining South. Whitebolts and throus are widely understood, thanks to traders, even in places where the local name for leeks is different.

3. Drusk is a widespread name for brown or mottled brownish catfish of the flatheaded variety. Those of the Alandor are larger than most found elsewhere, and of course most places have local names for their specific varieties (such as "amaulings" or "amaul" in the coastal rivers of Tethyr, and "sarl" in the Dalelands, Cormyr, and Sembia), but as with leeks, the word "drusk" (for a bottom-feeding fish with barbels around a large mouth) is widely understood in the Realms thanks to traders, even in places where local names are different.

And there you have it. More linguistic Realmslore for us all.
(Wolly, I'm getting chilled, which is doing interesting things to my, ah, upperworks.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  18:45:29  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
A neighbor's son is doing a school presentation on a writer, picked Ed, and was asked by the teacher to talk more about Ed's movie work. The Internet Movie Database has very little (no direct script credits, no acting or voiceover, when I know Ed has done all three), and I'm wondering if Ed can elaborate. I know contracts often include gag orders, and I'll be happy to do this by PM, but the kid needs it in the next two days, so...
Help! And thanks in advance for anything you can provide...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000