Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Erethar
Acolyte

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  05:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message
Hello Everyone,

This may not be the right place to ask this question, and if it isn't, I am terribly sorry.

It is a question regarding the upcoming change in approach to the Forgotten Realms as a setting. I read that going on from here, changes will happen through 'shared experience', people playing published adventures, then submitting their adventures to WotC which then will incorporate it in the canon of FR.

Now on to the question:

How is this supposed to translate to people who don't actively play DnD or these Adventures but only read the novels? Will there be some Kind of Lore update books containing the happenings of said adventures (something like Campaign Setting updates)?

I'm really not sure if I will be reading novels and suddenly will have some background referred to which I don't know anything about because it was in this DnD Adventure sets.

So this is basically a lore question, albeit not about content details but transmitting details ;)

Thank you for staying put through my second language english,
Ere

Edited by - Erethar on 11 Nov 2012 06:02:16
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  20:15:54  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
You're not alone, Erethar. I would like to know this too. I primarily read the novels, so if it is up to gamers, I and others like me won't have much say in what happens.

And, speaking of which, I have my own question for Ed and THO:

I heard yesterday in one of these forums that Wizards won't be publishing anything on drow that isn't Lolth-based (except perhaps for Drizzt). This means that we won't know the results of Lady Penitent, or have more stories about the followers of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun (if they are brought back in the Sundering, which I sincerely hope they are). I like drow--they are my second favorite race next to elves--kind of ironic considering they're sworn enemies--but the stories about non-Lolthite drow and drow of other faiths had so much potential, and I think WotC is passing up a great opportunity. This is all just my opinion, of course, but I have missed the drow in 4e. I was hoping they would make a comeback in 5e. This is all just me, but I'm wondering if this is true, and if so, does Ed have a chance to change it? Non-Lolthite drow could follow the Seldarine I suppose, as Lady Penitent suggested, but if you can share anything, I would like to know the future of the drow in the Realms.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  02:41:20  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I heard yesterday in one of these forums that Wizards won't be publishing anything on drow that isn't Lolth-based (except perhaps for Drizzt).

Do you have a link for where this statement was made?

I'm not arguing with you at all... I just want to see WotC's statement before I let myself get upset about it.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  03:24:09  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:

AThis is all just my opinion, of course, but I have missed the drow in 4e. I was hoping they would make a comeback in 5e.

There are drow in the 5E play testing material, including adventures set in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  18:13:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
So, any hints about what Ed might be possibly working on ATM, other then WotC web articles?

quote:

I like drow--they are my second favorite race next to elves--kind of ironic considering they're sworn enemies... <snip>
Drow ARE Elves... just cursed ones (or Blessed, in their opinion).

Thats like saying I like dwarves and I like Duergar. LOL

Although I do understand your point - I do not like both.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  20:10:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, Ed described Crimmor in great detail in one of the Paizo-published, print-format DRAGON issues. There's no bridge, but there is regular AND quite frequent (in daylight hours) ferry service, not to mention a large amount of barge freight traffic up and down the river (to and from Crimmor's docks).
CorellonsDEvout, I have no idea if what you read about drow is true. I do know they will be very much "on the scene" in the 5th edition game and in the Realms. I'll check with Ed and get back to you, though I'd not be surprised if his knowledge on this doesn't run much farther than mine.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Nov 2012 20:10:44
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  20:36:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks for the quick response, which lead me to an updated map of Crimmor by Paizo. Finding maps I already don't have is always a treat.

I guess the amount of River traffic won't allow for bridges to even be considered, for either city.

New question inspired by this one - do any FR cities use tunnels to get past rivers? Seems that would be the perfect solution for Amn (although on a D&D world, you always have worry about what you are tunneling into).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Nov 2012 20:36:44
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  23:10:32  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:

I heard yesterday in one of these forums that Wizards won't be publishing anything on drow that isn't Lolth-based (except perhaps for Drizzt).

Do you have a link for where this statement was made?

I'm not arguing with you at all... I just want to see WotC's statement before I let myself get upset about it.

Oh, sure, it's in the thread Drow Novels Other than Lolth-Based, on the second page, by Brian R. James. He said Wizards has no interest in publishing drow material that isn't tied to Lolth.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  00:32:39  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Markustay, Ed described Crimmor in great detail in one of the Paizo-published, print-format DRAGON issues. There's no bridge, but there is regular AND quite frequent (in daylight hours) ferry service, not to mention a large amount of barge freight traffic up and down the river (to and from Crimmor's docks).
CorellonsDEvout, I have no idea if what you read about drow is true. I do know they will be very much "on the scene" in the 5th edition game and in the Realms. I'll check with Ed and get back to you, though I'd not be surprised if his knowledge on this doesn't run much farther than mine.
love to all,
THO

Since Myth Drannor is kicking around, maybe we'll see the drow retake the Twisted Tower. I'll settle for every map Ed has on the underdark to keep them in their holes and underground too. ;)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  00:54:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Markustay, Ed described Crimmor in great detail in one of the Paizo-published, print-format DRAGON issues.
For reference's sake, I will note that this awesome article was featured in DRAGON #334.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  01:57:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Hi again, all.
Markustay, Ed described Crimmor in great detail in one of the Paizo-published, print-format DRAGON issues.
For reference's sake, I will note that this awesome article was featured in DRAGON #334.

Which is still available in the Paizo-shop if you don't have it.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  03:51:54  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
love to all,
THO

All right, thank you for getting back to me. Perhaps I asked too soon, it was just one of the things that was posted in another thread, so I wanted to know more, if possible.

Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  02:42:22  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
I have a question for Ed about an interview he did back in 2005 that was published in Dragon 335.

He was asked what he would like to see fleshed out in a book or supplement or module and said he would like to see a sourcebook that deals with merchant shipping, caravans, banking, herladry, courts and court etiquette. It would also have sample business contracts, photocopy-able handouts of writs, proclamations, wanted posters, charters for adventuring companies, grants of arms for nobles and the just knighted, and so on.

With the new direction WotC seems to be taking towards the Realms could you see something like that down the road as a future follow up to your recently published "Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms"?
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  17:23:58  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
We know that elves by their very being have an intimate connection to the Weave,
so much so that they have several physiological abilities not available to
other races, such as Reverie.
Now in Evereska, we have a mythal that is now "tainted?,repaired?,fouled?,altered?" with
the Shadow Weave. Are the elves living there going to have a very slow evolution? or
devolution? or just flat out altering in their physical, mental, emotional, or mystical
beings due to a more intimate touch with the Shadow Weave?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  20:40:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
I'll admit that one of the main sections I really liked in Elminster's Forgotten Realms was the language section. By any chance, might we see a simple "Faerunian Dictionary" published? It would be even better if it had racial and "local" sections. For the racial section, I wouldn't necessarily see "here's the elven word for everything we say".... I would expect to find the words that have drifted over into common use in other languages but are recognized as being from X racial tongue (i.e. in English, we may still call people Amigo... or we might say Aloha to someone as a greeting).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2371 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  21:00:13  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Now in Evereska, we have a mythal that is now "tainted?,repaired?,fouled?,altered?" with
the Shadow Weave. Are the elves living there going to have a very slow evolution? or
devolution? or just flat out altering in their physical, mental, emotional, or mystical
beings due to a more intimate touch with the Shadow Weave?
Why? It's merely an advanced spell effect, not the Weave itself. Also, what "more intimate touch with the Shadow Weave"? One uses either Weave or Shadow Weave - according to other lore - and wasn't that exactly what Galaeron's problem was in the first place?

Given how mixing one with another led to breaching of the Sharn Wall and later planar rifts, though, it's a question whether the whole area of such combined mythal is not a powder-keg which upon any major disturbance in either power source may explode, planeshift, instantly degenerate to fully corrupted status or any combinations of the above?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  23:24:44  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'll admit that one of the main sections I really liked in Elminster's Forgotten Realms was the language section. By any chance, might we see a simple "Faerunian Dictionary" published? It would be even better if it had racial and "local" sections. For the racial section, I wouldn't necessarily see "here's the elven word for everything we say".... I would expect to find the words that have drifted over into common use in other languages but are recognized as being from X racial tongue (i.e. in English, we may still call people Amigo... or we might say Aloha to someone as a greeting).

I don't think at this point that they could do a "simple" dictionary with the amount of published words out there. However, here on the forums, Kyrene, has attempted to collect a lot of the "realms" words and phrases with meanings from books, sourcebooks and lore given to us here by Ed in the topic "Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms" http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13403

Here in the Ask Ed section over the years, Ed has given us small collections of words and phrases by religion (Banites, Lathanderites, Red Knight) and language (elven, dwarven, Common), though I don't believe they are all included in Kyrene's list yet.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  00:23:11  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
speaking of meanings of words in the realms, question for THO and/or Ed:

In Ed's Crimmor article in Dragon 334, I have questions about three words he used.

1) sward-feast (picnic) - is this a realms wide word or local to Amn? If local, what other areas use it and what word is used in other area of the realms like Cormyr, Waterdeep, Tethyr, Lapaliiya/Tashalar?

2) throus (local name for leeks) - same question as 1. what are they called in other areas like Cormyr, Waterdeep, Tethyr and Lapaliiya/Tashalar if not the same?

3) Alandor drusk - (catfishlike bottom feeder) - obviously Alandor is the river, but is drusk used in other regions (Cormyr, Waterdeep, Tethyr and Lapaliiya/Tashalar) for the same type of fish or do they only exist in the Alandor river?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  02:15:21  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Dear Ed (so Dear!)

Just received Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms. It's only with considerable difficulty that I pry my gaze away from the pages to write this. In the past hour since tearing the Amazon box open, I've flipped through the first 150 pages and --though I wasn't keeping track-- there was probably at least one thing on every page that made me nod and say something to the general effect of "exactly, that's where we started, and where we need to return to." The example that prompted me to say this now instead of waiting til the end of the book... thank you for including Leira and (I went back to check, and Bhaal is here too!) in the Priesthoods section. The removal of Leira was (for me personally) the first really disturbing portent from the Time of Troubles, and I've missed her shadow ever since.

I'll probably never get around to writing a full review of this book, because I'll be parsing it for lore and jotting down ideas for new campaigns until some point in the future where everybody already has theirs and nobody cares to read a review anymore. However, here's the short version:

Woohoo! Thanks!

Sincerely,
me

PS, if others happen to see this:

To Kate Irwin... ur doin it rite. The art in here is pretty cool, especially pages 10, 12, 51, 54, 81, 102, 151, and 184. I'm hoping we see more from those hands. The neverending font of lore who drew the map of Halruaa on 187 isn't too shabby either. Maybe keep him around. I tend to not be a fan of interior art, because it eats up your budget and consequently reduces the wordcount of my Realmslore. Two wrongs don't make a right. However, if you're determined to put pictures inside the books... this was well-picked.

A big thank you to whoever took the photos on 4 and 190, and to you Ed for sharing them... if someone were to blow up either of them to poster size and stick a $10 tag on it, I'm pretty sure a few of us would buy a copy for the wall overlooking our gaming tables. Just sayin.

A quibble... 192 pages is not enough. It's just not enough. Next time, start with a goal of 500 pages, and if Ed gives you too much stuff to cram into that pagecount, then increase the pagecount as necessary. That being said, 192 is better than less-than-192. Also, thank you for not wasting the last couple of pages on advertisments... it always leaves a sour aftertaste. This was a great alternative... an Afterword packed with more lore. Very sweet aftertaste.

To everyone who had a hand in this book... thank you for the best thing since the Grey Box.

Now I have a lot of reading to do.

Edit, because sleyvas reminded me: yay Myrkul too! Another quibble, however... I understand Cyric being a god was necessitated by the desire to be edition-neutral and "be all things to all gamers" but his presence makes Kelemvor's absence conspicuous. Also, since there's so many gods that some of them had to be cut, I'm very happy to see Red Knight and Shaundakul... two deities who should be important to PCs. And a good-natured poke in the ribs and a clap on the back to whoever decided not to even bother trying to put an index at the end. Play to the strengths! Ah... so much awesome in here!

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 15 Nov 2012 20:17:41
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  15:44:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Dear Ed (so Dear!)

The example that prompted me to say this now instead of waiting til the end of the book... thank you for including Leira and (I went back to check, and Bhaal is here too!) in the Priesthoods section. The removal of Leira was (for me personally) the first really disturbing portent from the Time of Troubles, and I've missed her shadow ever since.

You know what, that's interesting. I haven't reached that section either, but I skipped ahead and read the Leira entry too. I also went to the Deneir entry just because I always felt he was of interest. But, yeah, I was very glad to see Leira. I could care less whether Bane is Xvim or Xvim is Bane. I'm perfectly happy to see Myrkul stuck in the crown of horns. I don't necessarily need to see Bhaal come back. However, I have never been able to accept that Leira is gone, which is odd since I didn't really use her when 1st edition first came out.

Who knows, maybe we'll find out that she worked out something with Mask to fake her death and went over to Abeir on a mission. Maybe we'll find out that Nimbral hasn't been hidden all this time after the spellplague. Maybe they've been in Abeir with their goddess.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  15:58:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ed,

Going from Waterdeep north, there are three major clusters of hills, the most southern of which is called the Sumber Hills. What are the other two called?

The middle cluster is between Kryptgarden and the High Forest, and the most northern is just west of The Evermoors (and is near the Starmetal Hills and The Crags, but not part of either grouping).

And I've asked this before, but just a gentle reminder (I figure if you take the time to answer the above query you'd be on the same subject) - the name of the small mountain cluster just to the NW of The Citadel of the Raven.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  02:51:54  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
It makes sense to me that elves living in the Evereska mythal for hundreds or thousands of years might spawn
wild card abilities or become sickly. See it this way, radiation at low levels is constantly exposded to your body. Now for a
time, nothing but a loose cell here or there will be damaged, but over a great legnth of time, the body
get sick from radiation poisoning, and eventually dies. I equate the shadow weave to radiation for elves
and their connection to the Weave.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  03:36:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm reading Queen of Thorns, a Pathfinder novel, right now. And something in the book has me wondering...

Myth Drannor. The city had 6+ centuries of lingering magical traps and effects, planar gateways, the twisted magic of the mythal, and plenty of fiends wandering about. What kind of effect did this have on all the plant life in the ruins? I know the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set discussed that really nifty moss, but other than that, I don't recall plants getting much mention.

It seems to me that we've got plenty of ways plant life could be twisted into some really freaky and/or hostile forms, and I'm wondering if that happened, or if some effect of the mythal prevented it.

As always, thanks for your time!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  03:51:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
...And I just read the "Making the Trains Run on Time" article. I'm not a train person myself, but my dad is a huge railfan, and is big into model railroading. He does HO scale.

Because of my dad being a railfan, I've had some unique experiences -- including getting to operate an F7 at the age of 13!

Are you still into model railroading? What scale?

It's kind of funny that you mentioned sidings, and such. My dad used to be part of a modular railroad club, and they did many trainshows. The first few, I was roped into keeping the three mainline tracks occupied -- and that got so boring, I would doze off. Later, my dad built a rather extensive yard. I handed off the mainline operations to someone else, and that became my playground. I'd spend hours building and rearranging trains in there, usually with just a GE 44-ton switcher (I got to start a real one of those, once, though I didn't get to operate it) or a SW1500 (always liked the looks of that one). My dad was happy to let me do all that switching, because it was something else for people to watch.

Just thought I'd share that last bit. Not being a model railroader or a railfan, I don't hang out with people I can tell those tales to, very oft.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  04:09:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm reading Queen of Thorns, a Pathfinder novel, right now. And something in the book has me wondering...

Myth Drannor. The city had 6+ centuries of lingering magical traps and effects, planar gateways, the twisted magic of the mythal, and plenty of fiends wandering about. What kind of effect did this have on all the plant life in the ruins? I know the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set discussed that really nifty moss, but other than that, I don't recall plants getting much mention.
As an addendum to this [because Wooly's questions often get my own mind thinking on such topics], I'm curious about the land [and, more specifically, the soil] as well.

How did the twisted magic affect the soil in which the plant life of Myth Drannor grew?

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Nov 2012 04:21:13
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  04:20:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, I'm posing the first of what I suspect will be many questions I have from my reading of Ed Greenwood Presents...

It concerns the section on [surprise, surprise] "Elven Music" from pg. 188. You've told us that elven songs are often sung with multiple and overlapping vocalists singing different words at once.

I'm curious, though, about how likely the number of multiple vocalists might be comprised of the differing elven sub-races, and whether the different words being sung, might be expressed in any of the sub-racial variations of the dialects between the elven races?

For example, are you suggesting that it will almost always be just multiple moon elves singing? Or some moon elves, a couple of wood elves, and, yes, perhaps, even a few gold elves, all singing together and drawing the entirety of the song's lyrics from their own unique languages?

Much appreciated, as always.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  15:48:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Related to what Wooly is talking about: I was into model railroading at young age, and had one of those huge, permanent set-ups in my house. That lead me to discovering other miniatures, which then lead me to discover miniatures gaming and then D&D. I was already a fantasy reader, so it was a natural progression of two separate pastimes.

I was also already a gamer of sorts, because I played a lot of those SPI and Avalon Hills Games which used to be available at KB in the malls. So I guess three pastimes merged.

Hasbro owns both of those companies now, and it would be cool if they'd re-release some of those as well. It saddens me that counter-games have fallen by the wayside.

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Nov 2012 15:49:06
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1264 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  03:13:34  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Question for Ed, but if others (or THO) know the answer from prior Ed question/replies please chime in!

Ever since I learned of the realms, The Witch Sylune had been dead from the flight of the Dragons where she used a retribution strike from a Staff of Power to kill the red dragon attacking Shadowdale. At first, I thought that was a pretty cool way to die for a powerful mage. But the more I think about it, she's a frigging Chosen of Mystra! Contingency Spells? Elminster/Storm/Alustriel/ALASSRA(!) just let her get killed? Does not compute.

Or was her death sort of a Obi-wan Kenobi style death from A New Hope? Where she sort of let herself pass on to the next realm on purpose? A suicide of sorts? I enjoyed Sylune in the Shadow of the Avatar series, but she seemed to miss being alive and having a body in that series, so this sort of puts that into question.
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  03:52:36  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Question for Ed, but if others (or THO) know the answer from prior Ed question/replies please chime in!

Ever since I learned of the realms, The Witch Sylune had been dead from the flight of the Dragons where she used a retribution strike from a Staff of Power to kill the red dragon attacking Shadowdale. At first, I thought that was a pretty cool way to die for a powerful mage. But the more I think about it, she's a frigging Chosen of Mystra! Contingency Spells? Elminster/Storm/Alustriel/ALASSRA(!) just let her get killed? Does not compute.

Or was her death sort of a Obi-wan Kenobi style death from A New Hope? Where she sort of let herself pass on to the next realm on purpose? A suicide of sorts? I enjoyed Sylune in the Shadow of the Avatar series, but she seemed to miss being alive and having a body in that series, so this sort of puts that into question.

Well … in the version of things I'm familiar with she shattered a Staff of the Archmagi which is in the top ten list of Bad Idea right up there next to getting too much uranium in one place at a high rate of speed. Small near nuclear scale kaboom in dragon's face takes down dragon, poor little human-for-the-most-part chosen gets pretty much taken to component quarks and sll that's left is a smartassed ghostish apparition thing.

Very noble and heroic but, Chosen or not, quite unhealthy.

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1264 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  04:15:45  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Agreed, the breaking of a staff of power or staff of the arch magi (isn't it robe of the arch magi and staff of power? I need to whip out my DMG) has been used many times, like in the novels Azure Bonds (Cassandra's), Pool of Radiance (Shal's), The Pirate King (Hosttower of the Arcane), and the effect is like a mini nuke going off and it would eradicate her body...just that she would do it knowing it would mean her mortal body would cease to exist? It just doesn't seem like something a Chosen of Mystra would do, especially without a clone or contingency magic in place..unless she wanted to die and become a ghost guardian of Shadowdale (like Obi-wan sort of). I'm guessing that is the answer. Thanks for the reply dravenloft.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000