Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 66

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  14:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
If it comes from the Abyss, it's a tanar'ri. Period. "Demon" isn't a proper term for D&D monsters; it's a Judeo-Christian import. I don't care what 3e says, Planescape got this right. So yes, a dretch is a tanar'ri.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
117 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  16:19:20  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Tanar'ri rules !
And thanks again to Ed and THO for the answer, great trail to an adventure :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
27135 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  16:41:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

If it comes from the Abyss, it's a tanar'ri. Period. "Demon" isn't a proper term for D&D monsters; it's a Judeo-Christian import. I don't care what 3e says, Planescape got this right. So yes, a dretch is a tanar'ri.

I know that changing the terms to tanar'ri and baatezu was a way to dodge real-world religious groups getting upset, but I quite like the change. I think the names are much more interesting and certainly more distinctive.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  18:53:03  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Hint: Buy Ed Greenwood presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms. Buy copies for your friends. Buy a copy for your dog. Buy copies as X-mas presents for your great aunt Petunia.

That sends the message "Yes! This! THIS is what we want! Give us moooooore!"

And now I got this odd picture of me hunched-over in a bookstore stroking a copy, and whispering, "my precious..."

Except I look more like an Ogre then a some sort of goblin (I get compared to Shrek a lot... by my own kids... tell me again why we have those?)

Okay, I pre-ordered it on Amazon. If I like I'll buy it for my friends as an x-mas gift :)

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2596 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  19:57:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Got Elminster Enraged today.

30 pages in and the Chosen of Mystra that El meets is very interesting...

Symrustar Auglamyr

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 05 Sep 2012 20:00:29
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3493 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  20:09:20  Show Profile  Visit The Red Walker's Homepage  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

30 pages in and the Chosen of Mystra that El meets is very interesting...

Symrustar Auglamyr

Ah drats...I didn't expect to stumble on a spoiler here!.....now I have to resist urge to highlight until I start this book!

Double Drats!! I didn't realize when you quote , the hidden stuff is revealed!! Arrghhh (pulling hair emoticon please)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 05 Sep 2012 20:11:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31462 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  01:34:01  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Folks, we're delving into side-chatter again. Let's keep this scroll just for questions and answers to/from Ed, eh?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  05:42:11  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
Question regarding the Sundering: from what I understand based on reading Erik Scott de Bie's site, the Sundering well take place around 1486 (correct me if I'm wrong). Most (but not all) of the post-Spellpague books have been taken place 1470 or 80, and in the case of the latest Drizzt novel, 1471. Curiously, Dawnbringer extended to 1500. But anyway, since there will be six novels on the Sundering, does this mean those books will be jumping ahead some years? Since there are current events unfolding around the characters, I am not sure how we can jumped ahead to 1486 without it leaving the current events unfinished, so to speak. How exactly do you (Ed and the other authors) plan to go about this?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
11634 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  07:50:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Now I have like four books I have to go out and pick-up tomorrow. I was only going to get Shadowbane (because I want to read the new Shadowbane novel), and now I have to get the next two Elminster books as well (I think I have recovered from depression from the first one).

I was hoping someone would notice my idea for Alusair and Tanalasta clones... {grumble grumble}.

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

That sounds like a death-wish.

And before I get into trouble - did Mystryl have any Chosen, and if so, could you name any (or at least, where they were from)? Did any of them ever ascend to godhood? (this ties into my previous question).

The World of Ark - Roleplay in the Age of Legends!
Mark's Maps

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
3797 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  08:28:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
And before I get into trouble - did Mystryl have any Chosen, and if so, could you name any (or at least, where they were from)? Did any of them ever ascend to godhood? (this ties into my previous question).

Ed NDA-ed this question a while back. I doubt you'll get an answer. For the moment.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  15:42:18  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message
On the show Decoding the Ancients/Secrets of Christianity (Hosted by controversal Simcha Jacobovici) talked about how the slaves of Pompeii and the eruption of Vesuvius may have advance Christianity more then most evangelists at the time. One point he was pointing out graphifti which pointed at christian slaves in brothel converting the Romans who visited them.

Which is making me ask have slaves in the realms ever attempted or succeeded in converting their master to their religion?

Have feasthall men and/or women ever succeeded in converting their patron to their gods?

Even if it's just as an additional god to worship. Also in the above, have any of them succeeded in converting their master/patron to take their god as a patron?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

4854 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  16:17:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
CorellonsDevout, I'm sorry, but the answer to your Sundering dating/unfinished current events queries must, for now, be NDA.
Ed adds: "A LOT of planning and discussion has gone into, and is continuing to go into, the Sundering Saga. See the movie about our first planning summit that was shown as part of the GenCon Keynote address. So, yes, we ARE thinking about such matters."

So saith Ed. And I'm afraid that's all you're likely to get right now.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

4854 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  16:29:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. Re. these, from Foxhelm: "Which is making me ask have slaves in the realms ever attempted or succeeded in converting their master to their religion?
Have feasthall men and/or women ever succeeded in converting their patron to their gods?
Even if it's just as an additional god to worship. Also in the above, have any of them succeeded in converting their master/patron to take their god as a patron?"
Ed replies:

I suppose it's inevitable that many folks will continue to "see" the Realms in terms of real-world competing montheistic religions. To reiterate: in the Realms, everyone (with rare exceptions who are seen as less than sane) "believes in" (and worships) ALL the gods. A small handful of the populace (less than five percent) dedicates themselves to one god above all others. (Because the game has clerics/priests and paladins as character classes, and healing is a power of such individuals and is incredibly useful, and because organized faiths have wide social effects in the Realms, we pay more attention to zealots/one-deity-above-all persons than we otherwise would.)
So there's not really such a thing as "conversion" in the Realms, as we speak and think of it in the real world. No one has to be convinced of the existence, "rightness," or viability of any deity. There is much debate and differing belief over precedence (in portfolio overlaps) and who's more powerful, and so on, but that debate extends to the gods themselves, and the truths behind such debate and conjecture changes over time (the gods shift in power, portfolio, and even presence).
It is NORMAL for a given individual to shift in their interest, veneration, and dedication to every deity as their lives unfold. Many folks discuss the gods with others - - and others regard faith as a private, personal thing NOT to be discussed outside family or guild (or in some cases, with anyone else).

So saith Ed. Whom I know has watched Simcha's various programs with interest.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2097 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  16:34:16  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Considering the amount of Sharess-worshiping feasthall workers I'd say it's probably a rather high count.

Edit: I did could not see that post above mine from The Hooded One when I made this. And trust me, it took a lot less than five minutes to write the original version of this post.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 06 Sep 2012 19:40:26
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  17:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I have a question related to this religious open-mindedness: how easy would it be for new faiths to get established in the Realms given how "everyone believes in all the gods?"

I'm thinking specifically of Spelljammer, and how priests from other spheres can only gain spells above 2nd level if their god has a substancial (I think more than 100 people, but I could be misremembering) group of worshippers in the sphere. Given the Realms' inclusiveness, it would seem to me that any faith that wanted to establish itself in Realmspace would be sending clerics to the Realms to take advantage.

Does this work out in practice? Do the gods, or their clergies, take action against interlopers? Do the gods just grant spells to priests of similar ethoi to short-circuit lots of similar competing faiths popping up? Something else?

I'm curious how this "divine inclusiveness" works when you put the Realms in its proper place amongst the many worlds of the phlogiston.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  19:37:36  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
CorellonsDevout, I'm sorry, but the answer to your Sundering dating/unfinished current events queries must, for now, be NDA.
Ed adds: "A LOT of planning and discussion has gone into, and is continuing to go into, the Sundering Saga. See the movie about our first planning summit that was shown as part of the GenCon Keynote address. So, yes, we ARE thinking about such matters."

So saith Ed. And I'm afraid that's all you're likely to get right now.
love,
THO
[/quote

All right, I understand, but I thought I'd ask :)

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  19:43:46  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, everyone. Re. these, from Foxhelm: "Which is making me ask have slaves in the realms ever attempted or succeeded in converting their master to their religion?
Even if it's just as an additional god to worship. Also in the above, have any of them succeeded in converting their master/patron to take their god as a patron?"
Ed replies:

I suppose it's inevitable that many folks will continue to "see" the Realms in terms of real-world competing montheistic religions. To reiterate: in the Realms, everyone (with rare exceptions who are seen as less than sane) "believes in" (and worships) ALL the gods. A small handful of the populace (less than five percent) dedicates themselves to one god above all others. (Because the game has clerics/priests and paladins as character classes, and healing is a power of such individuals and is incredibly useful, and because organized faiths have wide social effects in the Realms, we pay more attention to zealots/one-deity-above-all persons than we otherwise would.)
So there's not really such a thing as "conversion" in the Realms, as we speak and think of it in the real world. No one has to be convinced of the existence, "rightness," or viability of any deity. There is much debate and differing belief over precedence (in portfolio overlaps) and who's more powerful, and so on, but that debate extends to the gods themselves, and the truths behind such debate and conjecture changes over time (the gods shift in power, portfolio, and even presence).
It is NORMAL for a given individual to shift in their interest, veneration, and dedication to every deity as their lives unfold. Many folks discuss the gods with others - - and others regard faith as a private, personal thing NOT to be discussed outside family or guild (or in some cases, with anyone else).

So saith Ed. Whom I know has watched Simcha's various programs with interest.
love,
THO

That's good to know, actually. I've wondered about that myself sometimes, since some characters do not pay homage to one particularly deity, but maybe several, or none in particular, but will say things like "by the gods!" How does this relate to the wall of the Faithless and the False? Is that reserved for those who don't acknowledge the gods at all or?

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  20:08:36  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message
Lady THO,

is there a possibility for Ed to inquire with the folk at WotC whether this site/forum can publish the Candlekeep Compendium as they have previous to the Fan Site policy and the GSL?
It seems there's a deadlock and no information coming forward from the side of WotC (to-date) despite e-mails sent requesting clarification on the situation. We have a bunch of scribes eager to ad more fan-lore to the game setting we love most.

Thanks,

JP
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  00:09:43  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
I have a few questions relating to Illithid in the Realms. Are there any examples of an Illithid (or more than one I suppose) forsaking the ways of it's people (if that's even possible) as far as their preferred diet and generally believing thmeselves better than everything around them? Or barring that any examples of some that at least aren't being "evil" (from a human/demihuman standpoint)?

Some of the RPG material related to Illithids talks about what happens when they implant non humanoid species. Are there any particularly bizarre/odd/powerful combinations in the Realms, past or present?

Finally, related to that last question, have any of the Realms based Illithid ever implanted a dragon of any type? If so, what were the results (aside from possibly looking like Cthulu)? If not, any particular reason why not?

Thanks in advance and apologies if these questions have been asked or if they are specifically covered in an RPG source I don't have (I am mainly a novel reader).

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
11634 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  01:21:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Is there anything like the 'Iron Chefs' competition in the Realms? Are there any holidays that are used as 'food fairs' where cooked items could be judged? Do nobles (thinking mostly Suzail ATM) go to great lengths to 'steal' amazing cooks from one another? Do some nobles willingly lend out their servants for events? Are their any non-human races that have the reputation as 'great chefs', and are in-demand?

And now, thanks to other posters, I Have the image in my head of an "Ao's Witness" knocking on doors and bothering folk.

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

That's good to know, actually. I've wondered about that myself sometimes, since some characters do not pay homage to one particularly deity, but maybe several, or none in particular, but will say things like "by the gods!" How does this relate to the wall of the Faithless and the False? Is that reserved for those who don't acknowledge the gods at all or?
Going by realms canon, the only way the 'wall of the faithless' makes any sense is if they were all insane (by Realms standards). On a world where gods manifest all the time, to not believe in them is like not believing in Waterdeep, or the sky.

P.S. - in 5e, please, PLEASE make the 'wall of the faithless' go away. FR has the lower planes - no need for redundant punishments. However, please explain it before getting rid of it (no hand-waves).

*Grammatical edits

The World of Ark - Roleplay in the Age of Legends!
Mark's Maps

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Sep 2012 21:06:52
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  06:55:22  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
Ah, okay, thank you for the clarification :)

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  07:07:54  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
Question for Ed: Being new to this site, I have not learned all the ropes yet, but in the GenCon youtube videos and Erik Scott de Bie's site, it was said that WotC would like to hear from campaigners about what happens in the game, to know what fans like. Being as I mostly read the novels, I don't really have game events to submit, so I was wondering if I could perhaps submit short stories that take place in the Realms, either here or another site where WotC would see, or if I should simply continue to share my opinions here. I'm glad I discovered this site, btw :)

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3493 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  13:55:51  Show Profile  Visit The Red Walker's Homepage  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Ed and Lady Herald:

We have recently been told that "everything realms goes across Ed's desk". I don't think we can appreciate what that means to Ed's time invested here...it is staggering....which leads to my question,

Does this mean Ed had influence or control of what is written about and by who? Or who is added in the future as a realms novelist? Does he get a vote?

This question is very selfish....I want to see our own Brian Cortijo (Garen Thal) get to write about what he loves. I(and most scribes here I think) know he can do it justice. I just hope he gets the chance(soon ). So I guess I am selfishly hoping the answer is yes on some level.

Thanks for indulging this totally biased query!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Seeker

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  21:36:23  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage  Send dravenloft an AOL message  Send dravenloft an ICQ Message  Click to see dravenloft's MSN Messenger address  Send dravenloft a Yahoo! Message Send dravenloft a Private Message
As a premise of the Realms seems to be (have been? i'll admit all my stuff but a few novels are pre-3rd edition) that there are portals scattered hither and yon that might lead one out of or into Faerūn from another plane, and certainly some of our own Earthly gods do a bit of duty on that side of creation already. So, have the Knights ever met someone fresh from a radically different world? Our own for example? Or, pehaps, found themselves transported to such a bizzare and distant elsewhere?

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

117 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  01:13:55  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
THO and Ed, having read Elminster Enraged now, I had a question regarding a revelation in the book. Since it just came out, I won't spoil anything directly if I can word this properly.

Given certain knowledge/revelation regarding the black dragon Alorglauvenemaus in the book, and the earlier events in the short story The Many Murders of Manshoon, I have to ask if certain relatives of Elminster received even more permissions to assume particular identities than they revealed in the short story originally. I hope that makes sense I didn't want to directly spoil anything.

Also regarding, ah, Alorglauvenemaus...will we ever get to hear more about alliances and treacheries that were alluded to in the story?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 66 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2014 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000