Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  07:14:51  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed,

Back in March of this year there was a scroll that talked about Underdark/Surface trade good prices here http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16345. And in that scroll, THO you stated: "This happens to be a topic I've discussed with Ed, and I can tell you this much: the priciest non-slave goods in most drow cities of the Underdark are well-preserved citrus fruits and spices (the fruits are often coated in clay and then fabric-bagged, and then packed in carrychests or handkegs full of edible oils, to keep the air from them), followed by cheeses, superior-make iron tools, and lumber suitable for carving/furniture and structural work, followed by timber suitable for fuel."

I was curious as to what prices slaves run in most drow cities? What would the average goblin, orc, bugbear, or human sell for? I can't help but think they'd be cheap, but then a person would always think there would be a shortage of them in drow cities. I know this is kind of an awful question, but I was wondering if you had any further info.

One final quick question. The 2E drow of the underdark manual has some info on drow sleep poison, but no price. It also states: "The making of drow poison takes at least 4 days and a well-stocked laboratory." Is that just for one dose? What would a jar or dose of this cost in your home campaign?

Thank you

Edited by - Eilserus on 17 Sep 2012 08:30:59
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  16:19:02  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Eilserus's question raises another about prices, in relation to the possible shift of D&D Next from a gold standard (originally based on an assumed inflationary economy driven by treasure unearthed from Greyhawk Castle or equivalent dungeon) to a silver standard: Which did the pre-D&D Realms more resemble? How prominent are gold, silver and copper coins respectively in Faerūn as you now envisage it?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  17:02:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Faraer, I can answer your question right away, because I can quote Ed directly from a description of the Realms he wrote for an early player pack:

The Realms is entering an era of increasing trade and prosperity. Orc hordes have been fewer in the North and winters less harsh, so the longer growing season and greater survival of foraging animals has led to more food for all.
Where once rulers and their patrols dictated trade-flows, merchants are now dominant; the ruler who closes his borders or restricts trade loses out, while neighbours prosper. Merchants have found or developed alternate routes to most places, and those "connected" areas are experiencing a common quickening in trade, a rise in the overall standard of living, and folk indulging long-pent-up desires to own the latest fashions or better equipment or explore hobbies and reading or widen what they dare to eat and drink. The Sword Coast ports, the traditional mercantile powerhouses such as Amn and Sembia, and the traditional producers such as Tethyr and Calimshan are all "booming." Rulers can't mint coins fast enough, and trade-bars and gems are seeing common use as ways to make large payments and convey large amounts of wealth in a swift, portable manner. Where once mints might produce one gold coin for every hundred silver and thousand copper, they are now shifting to ratios closer to 1:10:20 - - because copper coins are already plentiful, but increased orders (not just rising prices) are leading to a fierce demand for more gold. In some places (notably Amn, Tethyr, Westgate, and eastern Sembia), the wealthy are being urged by courtiers to use their hoarded gold to buy properties so as to release more coins into general circulation. Although there is inflation, the energetic competition among far-faring merchants is breaking local guild monopolies and keeping prices lower than might be expected.

This was Ed writing in 1977, to a group of library players who were all students or teachers with at least Economics 101 under their belts. So not quite pre-D&D, but Ed describing the Realms as it was before D&D was created, as well as after (Ed once told me Mirt's early career - - those short stories that shaped the Realms - - wouldn't have been possible without this economic climate unfolding in the world).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  20:48:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
That is so bizarre (and fortuitous) - I am discussing the economics of something in another thread (a transit portal network), and mentioned that my games tend toward the 'frugal' side. Having come from Chivalry & Sorcery first, I grew used to the more realistic economics presented therein (realistic, as in 'real world').

So Ed's Realms were actually closer to the D&D standard, but it was a recent development? That makes sense.

Thanks again for all the responses - you always give me more to think about.

New Question: Has anyone ever tried to create a mass-transit system of portals? You know, one available to the affluent public? And not just in the current realms - I am thinking some ancient empires may have tried this route. If so, what sort of (disastrous?) results ensued? Is a permanent system of gates plausible? I know the elves had something along these lines (a preexisting system they added to), but it wasn't 'open to the general public'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Sep 2012 20:49:48
Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  22:09:45  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message
I came across this story while wandering around the internet, and thought it was interesting.

"I'm walking through town late one night, wearing a costume of sorts because I was at a party that night. Carrying a boffer sword (it looks real), wearing a hooded cloak, leather bracers, leather tunic, leather pants, rogue boots and an eyepatch.

"I notice, down a small side street, a woman being pushed around by a drunk dude. THIS WILL NOT STAND. I'm ready to rumble.

"I pull out my very convincing boffer sword and run towards him shouting, "In the name of Mystra I shall end you!"

"The drunk turns around to see my 6'4" leather-bound, sword-wielding self running at him yelling. He panics and runs away screaming.

"The girl thanks me for getting him away from her. I reply, 'Just doing my duty as a Harper, ma'am," then jump over a fence and out of sight.

"A story of my encounter was in the town's newspaper the next day."

While this gave me some gleeful giggles, it also leads me to be curious: has Ed ever come across any other tales of people (or the people themselves) pulling similar (good) stunts in the name of the gods of the Realms?

*is probably not on-topic, but burning with curiosity*

"Why do any of us get up in the morning? Why, for the joy and fun the day might bring us, if we're awake to see it! Up, then, and find ye fun!" - Elminster of Shadowdale

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
The Soulforged will come into light~" - Blind Guardian, "The Soulforged"
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  23:02:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Cassie, quite a few real-life incidents like that have happened, over the years, from the famous SCA-meeting incident reported in Amra (and reprinted in either THE SPELL OF CONAN or THE BLADE OF CONAN; I misremember which) to at least a dozen involving the Realms that I know of. Yet these are for Ed or those directly involved in them to tell, not me to retell (and perhaps get some details wrong), so off to Ed... :}
Markustay, Ed built a "bugger factor" into portals (mentioned in one of his more recent novels) that prevent them from being used as a shipping system by everyone: they "vanish" items randomly that individuals take through them. If you desperately need to get from Waterdeep to Suzail overnight, or vice versa, you can if you know how to use certain portals...but you might arrive naked. Or just missing your weapons, or a vital magic item.
So yes, networks have been built, but not used effectively. In part because of this, and in part due to mysterious power groups who move to violently control access to, and use of, gates/portals. A long-running theme in Ed's Realms that predates the D&D game, BTW.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  00:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
I recall Ed (in costume, as Elminster) being asked to marry people at GenCons, back in Milwaukee. I believe he did investigate what he had to do, to be recognized to perform legal marriages, and I know he wrote some "Realmsian" marriage services, back then.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  00:20:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. He also got asked to provide baby names, and even to father babies. (No, I'm not joking.)
Always a busy man, our Ed.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  12:53:35  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message
Apologies if this has been covered before, I haven't turned it up in my searches.

We generally see on-camera Elminster acting "good". Mystra explained however that he may have to do terrible things in her service.

I wanted to know if Ed could share some examples of some particularly egregious, horrifying and/or evil tasks that Elminster's conducted on Mystra's behalf.

The harder question (for me) is how far where would Elminster draw the line under Mystra's commands? If Mystra commanded, without explanation, that Elminster immediately slay a certain human infant (lets say Azoun V within a year of his birth) how would he respond? Would any of the commonly seen Chosen (Khelben, the Seven) refuse to obey such a command?

Lastly, I recall reading Elminster's claims that he mated with dragons while wearing dragon shape. Was this hyperbole? Which dragons did he mate with, why, and is there a flock or magnificently bearded and pipeweed favoring dragons roaming the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  16:59:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

We generally see on-camera Elminster acting "good". Mystra explained however that he may have to do terrible things in her service.

It's a little-known fact Elminster is a song writer. One of those terrible things he's done was writing "Achy Breaky Heart."

It's also been suggested that he was influential in the first so-called "reality TV" shows.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  18:05:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Does that mean Elminster is Hannah Montana's father?!

LOL- nevermind. Seems ol' Billy Rae didn't write it. I guess 'Don Von Tress' is one of Elminster's Earth-aliases.

For a second there I thought we were going to find out about another monster El unleashed upon the world.

As for the topic, I think we've seen some examples of Elminster having to do terrible things. One of his 'assignments' was to monitor the Simbul - a job he was loathe to do (and yet still did it, because Mystra wished it so). I forget which novel, but it was implied that if the symbul didn't comply with Mystra's order to leave the Red Wizards be, El would have to go after the Simbul (and she is one of the very few people who might be able to beat El). Yet, if he had to do it, he would have done so - he takes his job as Chosen very seriously.

Normally, the worst thing she asks of him is inaction; there are plenty of things he'd love to 'take care of', but can't, because it would oppose his goddess's portfolio to do so. Also, we have to remember that what we - the readers - perceive as 'good', most of the realms 'shakers & movers' consider it 'meddling', and it is frowned upon (the same extends to the Harpers, BTW).

But I am still looking forward to whatever Ed has to say on the matter - its always fun hearing about specific moments in Elminster's life.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Sep 2012 18:06:45
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  18:39:46  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
In the 2e Waterdeep - City of Splendors boxed set, there is a NPC who belongs to the Snow Cat Nomads tribe, barbarians who revere an aspect of Tempus known as "The Fist". Is this tribe Ed's creation? If yes, could he share more details about the tribe, where exactly they live, if they are related to the Uthgardt or to the tundra barbarians, and maybe something about their religious beliefs? How would this "Fist" be?

"Janszobur is a native of the Snow Cat Nomads,
who inhabit the mountains of the Utter North, battling
remorhaz and intruding orcs with savage ferocity.
They are few and physically strong, and worship
an incarnation of Tempus, whom they call 'the Fist'."

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  21:50:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Barastir, Janszobur and "The Fist" are definitely Ed's creations, but off your query goes to him for the definitive answer.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  22:06:43  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Does that mean Elminster is Hannah Montana's father?!

LOL- nevermind. Seems ol' Billy Rae didn't write it. I guess 'Don Von Tress' is one of Elminster's Earth-aliases.

For a second there I thought we were going to find out about another monster El unleashed upon the world.

As for the topic, I think we've seen some examples of Elminster having to do terrible things. One of his 'assignments' was to monitor the Simbul - a job he was loathe to do (and yet still did it, because Mystra wished it so). I forget which novel, but it was implied that if the symbul didn't comply with Mystra's order to leave the Red Wizards be, El would have to go after the Simbul (and she is one of the very few people who might be able to beat El). Yet, if he had to do it, he would have done so - he takes his job as Chosen very seriously.

Normally, the worst thing she asks of him is inaction; there are plenty of things he'd love to 'take care of', but can't, because it would oppose his goddess's portfolio to do so. Also, we have to remember that what we - the readers - perceive as 'good', most of the realms 'shakers & movers' consider it 'meddling', and it is frowned upon (the same extends to the Harpers, BTW).

But I am still looking forward to whatever Ed has to say on the matter - its always fun hearing about specific moments in Elminster's life.

We all know El's plan for Stoping the Simbul from frying Red Wizards.

Image pops up of a group of Red Wizards on one side and El with a massaging lounger with fine French Wine, Belgium Chocolates and a sign saying "Free Foot Rubs for Arch-Wizardresses!

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  09:09:23  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I was looking through an old mag of Polyhedron #64, El's Everwinking Eye: Daily Life in Mulmaster and there's a current clack news bit I've never seen published elsewhere and an excerpt of it says: "Daern Claundon, a famous dwarven adventurer of the Sword Coast North, is said to have returned in triumph to the small dwarven community within Tasseldale. Daern reports he has found a lost dwarven city in the depths of The Elven Court wood. The long-forgotten ruins are said to lie somewhere west of Essembra, in the heart of the deepest woods - that damp, ever-misty region known as the Mosstrunks."

Is there anything you can tell us about this lost dwarven city? I'm not sure I've heard the term Mosstrunks before either. Was there a certain dwarven clan that lived there? Judging from the directions and the Dalelands map the Mosstrunks and this city must be in the Ghost Holds area?

PS: I REALLY hope we see lots of snippets like these current clack bits make it into the 5E Realms. With the interwebs and all, it'd be sweet to see a little monthly column of them done. Lots of great adventure starters with them. :)

Thank you both.

Edited by - Eilserus on 19 Sep 2012 09:21:05
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  09:16:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I'd still love to see a Waterdeep newspaper, with "news from around the realms". That would be a great add to the DDi (and would probably finally push me over the edge to sign up for it).

Not just stories, but 'society pages', advice columns, and even obituaries (I can imagine some of them being quite amusing). The want ads and classifieds would also be great adventure-starters.

'Current Clack' was the bomb.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  11:23:43  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Thank you very much, lovely Lady!
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Barastir, Janszobur and "The Fist" are definitely Ed's creations, but off your query goes to him for the definitive answer.
love,
THO

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  18:22:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Eilserus, Ed will have to elaborate on that dwarven hold, but I can tell you "the Mosstrunks" is a VERY thick tangle of very old trees (hence the name; there's lots of moss growing on their very thick trunks) just west of the Ghost Holds. It's where the forest grew so thickly it was more trouble tan it was worth for humans to carve farther west, so instead they cleared forest to north and south, lengthening the Ghost Holds and Battledale along a north-south axis.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  19:22:19  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Yarr me hearties! What be the scuttlebutt on the piratey type of sailorrr in the port of Waterdeep these days?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  21:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Arrr, matey, there be no scuttlin' of butts here, d'ye hear? I likes the Lady with the Hood's behind just the way it is, to be sure!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  22:45:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Arrr, matey, there be no scuttlin' of butts here, d'ye hear? I likes the Lady with the Hood's behind just the way it is, to be sure!
BB

Aye, such clean, trim lines she's got!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

NineCoronas
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  00:17:18  Show Profile Send NineCoronas a Private Message
Hooded One/Ed Greenwood

Hello,

I am (among other projects), researching a character for the Neverwinter Nights roleplay server Arelith. Her story is inspired by Joan-of-Arc, in that Mystra appears to her in a series of visions, grants her intuitive knowledge and powers (directly knights her as a Paladin and some knowledge about her) and gives her a mission that is sort of a mix between the three Mystran order's directives and her own dogma.

To this end, I had some questions, for authenticity sake:

1) What are the lyrics to the Hymn of the Lady?

2) What are common oaths a Paladin of Mystra takes?

3) How would the established churches of Mystra react to a Paladin of their goddess that does not integrate with their organizations?

4) What exactly happens in a typical 15th of Marpenoth (Reference: 3.5ed's Mystra's ascension) celebration? Are they big groups, or on a smaller, personal level?

5) How driven is/was Mystra to interdict in Bane's machinations? Enough to send her followers to fight his?

6) What actions would a Paladin have to take for Mystra to strip him/her of his powers? How forgiving of mistakes is she (I.E., a Paladin is tricked into something, etc.)?

7) What are Mystra's direct desires, as opposed to the interpretations of such that her mortal followers have developed, if there is a difference between the two at all.

8) What colors are Paladin's of Mystra required to wear... and in the same vein as the above question, is it Mystra that requires them to wear those colors, or the religious order?

Thank you for answering these questions (in advance).
I'm interested in hearing it right from the horses mouth >:)>

Cheers!

-NineCoronas

Edited by - NineCoronas on 20 Sep 2012 00:53:47
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  01:49:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Heh. He also got asked to provide baby names, and even to father babies. (No, I'm not joking.)
Always a busy man, our Ed.
love,
THO

Well, the Lady K and I kind of experienced the former, though not directly, when we named our first born, Narnra, after reading Elminster's Daughter.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  01:52:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'd still love to see a Waterdeep newspaper, with "news from around the realms". That would be a great add to the DDi (and would probably finally push me over the edge to sign up for it).

Not just stories, but 'society pages', advice columns, and even obituaries (I can imagine some of them being quite amusing). The want ads and classifieds would also be great adventure-starters.

'Current Clack' was the bomb.

We kind of already had a toned down version of that already... with Ed's Waterdeep News feature on the Wizards website.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  04:38:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Yeah! More like that!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  15:05:05  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
After reading Elminster Enraged, I'm left with a burning question....

what happened to Fred? Can Ed share anymore about his past, like before becoming El's pipe? His "proper" name /nature. Or what the Simbul called him? I understand it's not near as flattering? Is that just good natured ribbing or did she have a history with "Fred"?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  18:24:20  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
I'm greatly ashamed of bathering Ed with a question like that but there it is :
In the Dock Ward of Waterdeep, there's an alley called "Pressbow alley". What is a pressbow ? Is that a name ? My english-to-french doesn't give me the signifiance of such thing/name.

And yes, I'm interested in the origin of the name of a few of Waterdeep's streets as far as my players runs into it. So I'll probably be back with some similar questions about the name of certain Waterdeep's alleys.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  16:34:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Interested gamers within reach of Peterborough, Ontario are reminded that Ed will as usual be the/a Guest of Honour at Phantasm, the annual gaming convention held in the basement of the Peterborough Public Library on Aylmer Street from 10am (I think) this Saturday (Sept. 22nd) until midnight, and 8 am until around 6 pm Sunday. Ed will give his usual talk and Q&A Saturday night, and run a (new, but 2nd Edition) Realms scenario, ELMINSTER'S EYEBALL, from 8 am until noon Sunday (quite suitable for novices to the game).
Phantasm is a small, cozy, fun local con with plenty of gaming; it's friendly, informal, and everything's in one place (vendors, gaming, washrooms, the con staff selling snack food). A great chance to really meet and talk.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  16:47:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hi, again, everyone! With the public relations announcement taken care of, it's back to Realmslore.
So here we go...

To The Red Walker: yes, The Simbul has a history with El's pipe. No, I can't say more, and probably neither can Ed (yep, NDA). So, yes, it's good-natured ribbing, but there's more behind that. We'll see what Ed can reveal.

To Marco Volo: a "pressbow" is a crude factory machine based on an oversized stationary crossbow, its force used not to fire quarrels/bolts but to operate sharp metal stamps to cut leather or soft metals or wax or even cheese. Pressbows were invented (or refined, depending on whom you believe) by a gnome leatherworker named Albryn Telnhand in a workshop along Pressbow Alley around 1226 DR or so. They are still used today, though largely superceded by "stamping mills" that use cranked weights (descending atop a long cutting bar like a guillotine fashioned for lopping off a dozen heads in a row at once) to drive multiple cutters in a single descent.
(This comes straight from Ed's notes.)

Kajehase, when is the "these days" you refer to? If it's 1479 DR and the thirty-some years preceding it, there's very little open piracy in Waterdeep's harbor or nearby, but there's lots of smuggling, kidnapping, fencing of stolen goods, etc. in Waterdeep's harbor, specifically in the district of Mistshore, so vividly brought to life in Jaleigh Johnson's MISTSHORE novel.

That's all for now, folks. Ed is deeply immersed in at least two projects right now . . .
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  16:58:05  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

And hi, again, everyone! With the public relations announcement taken care of, it's back to Realmslore.
So here we go...

To The Red Walker: yes, The Simbul has a history with El's pipe. No, I can't say more, and probably neither can Ed (yep, NDA). So, yes, it's good-natured ribbing, but there's more behind that. We'll see what Ed can reveal.
love,
THO

Thanks Lovely One...it's not much, but it is more than I knew!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000