Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  19:28:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

So you could have Elaine writing about Liriel and the Elves Three, you writing adventures of a young Mirt and Durnan, Bob finally getting to show Josidiah's quest for the Warblade, all while Erin Evans continues her 4e-era works, and someone else who wanted could write "picking up the pieces after the Spellplague." Or the Return of Bane. Or Romeo and Juliette as reimagined in the Crown Wars. Or whatever. And since novels are only supposed to have local consequences, as opposed to major across-the-Realms changes, all of these series could co-exist in peace.

Do you think this is at all possible, once the Sundering RSE is over? And is there anyone we could lobby to make it more likely?

This type of stuff would be really nice to see. I'd even say it'd be nice to do these in short story, novelet, and novella format. Take Science Fiction & Fantasy, a little 160 page book that costs $4.50 and has about half a dozen of these types of stories put out every two months I believe. Wizards could release this in ebook format for a small fee or tie it into DDI or whatever. It'd be a good option for stories that may not support an entire novel's length and maybe even for younger readers due to lower page count and story length. It would also be a good space for Wizards to seek out new talented authors and characters for the Realms. I for one would love to be able to download a little book of Realms centered short stories onto my iPad every couple months.
From what was said at the seminars, and most especially at the Candlekeep meet-up, this is the direction that the authors/designers want the Realms to go in (and bear in mind that Ed now has more official 'say' then ever before). The Forgotten Realms is about interesting stories, not what year they are set in.

On the other hand, WotC has the final say in what we see, even if they aren't taking a direct approach in the steering of the Realms (which is being left up to Ed and others). James Wyatt, however, made it abundantly clear that WE, the fans are actually deciding what we will see, by our purchasing habits between now and the release of 5e.

So if you see something you like in the product line-up, don't just buy it. Get your friends to buy it, buy it for folks as X-mas presents, line your bird-cages with it (Richard Byers actually said something along these lines). We have to let them know what we want, and then we will see more of it. This means spending money, not just complaining on the internet.

For the first time ever, more then ever, we are literally 'voting with our wallets'. Let your voice be heard.

{interlude over}

And now its question time: Has Ed ever considered writing a sequel to his original (Zirta) story? Someone brought-up the notion of a 'serialized' story being put on the WotC site, perhaps in comic format, in order to bring-in more people to the site itself. Something along the lines of Order of the Stick, but with better art and FR-specific. I think that would be a great vehicle for an extended Zirta tale (and we'd finally get to uncover more of Filfaeril's secrets).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Aug 2012 19:29:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  20:19:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And now its question time: Has Ed ever considered writing a sequel to his original (Zirta) story?

Two Come, Unheralded, To Zirta!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  22:53:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
The finale of such a serialized series should be "One runs, their arse off, from Zirta".

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  01:45:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

And now its question time: Has Ed ever considered writing a sequel to his original (Zirta) story? Someone brought-up the notion of a 'serialized' story being put on the WotC site, perhaps in comic format, in order to bring-in more people to the site itself. Something along the lines of Order of the Stick, but with better art and FR-specific. I think that would be a great vehicle for an extended Zirta tale (and we'd finally get to uncover more of Filfaeril's secrets).

Actually, an extended series of Zirta-based tales -- including more about how the city eventually evolves into Scornubel -- would be something worthwhile, I think.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  01:59:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed has hopscotched from OSRCon in Toronto down to Indy for a GREAT (he told me) GenCon, then the long (one thousand miles, each way) drive home to do laundry and settle his wife back into their lovely rural garden-surrounded house, so he can rush back to Toronto for the Friday through the Sunday of FanExpo!
I didn't manage to get to indy, but I DID manage to prevail upon an old friend to stroll up to Ed at a restaurant, sit in his lap, and hand him her cellphone, which I was on the other end of (his dinner guests, gamers from South America, were delighted).
Red Walker, when Ed attends conventions, he puts the fans first. Always. As he said to me in an e-mail last night: "These are not just my bosses, my patrons, and my clients - - they are the people I love, the people who restore my faith in the world. And they've come all this way and paid all this money to be at GenCon. So heck, yes, I'll listen to them. It's the LEAST I can do. I may shake hands or write autographs by the hundreds in a day, but every last one is THEIR moment for the person meeting me, and I try never to forget that. Gaming is about making friends, not money, and sharing dreams, not being rude to people. For me, GenCon is about seeing old friends and making new ones. Some of those friends are maids at the hotel or gents who sell me submarine sandwiches whose names I don't even know, but who remember me and smile eagerly - - and brighten my heart doing that. This GenCon, Erin Evans brought her infant son Idris to a few panels, and he had great fun pulling my beard. I had even more fun letting him pull it. I got the chance to flirt with old friends (Colin McComb, and Laura, Shelly, Marcy, and Sheila of Wizards) and new ones, and really "talk Realms" with Brian and Brian and Eric and Erik and Matt, and talk books with Gabrielle and Chris and James and James and Pierce and many more. I wish I could have talked to Kim longer, and found Calye and Chance and Phil. I wish GenCon had had a day of sleep, and then gone on for another week. I hope everyone who's a fan of the Realms will be happy with what we do in the years ahead. And Laurauna, I hope you find your brasserie. No, I didn't take it. Honest. I'm sure you'd look better in it than I would."

Heh. So saith Ed. Who brought his wife Jenny along with him, so belay all thoughts of hanky-panky. I couldn't make GenCon, but my spies report seeing Ed handing money to kids he'd just met to go shopping in the exhibit hall, so I know Ed was . . . being Ed. I love him.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  03:27:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Ed has hopscotched from OSRCon in Toronto down to Indy for a GREAT (he told me) GenCon, then the long (one thousand miles, each way) drive home to do laundry and settle his wife back into their lovely rural garden-surrounded house, so he can rush back to Toronto for the Friday through the Sunday of FanExpo!
I didn't manage to get to indy, but I DID manage to prevail upon an old friend to stroll up to Ed at a restaurant, sit in his lap, and hand him her cellphone, which I was on the other end of (his dinner guests, gamers from South America, were delighted).
Red Walker, when Ed attends conventions, he puts the fans first. Always. As he said to me in an e-mail last night: "These are not just my bosses, my patrons, and my clients - - they are the people I love, the people who restore my faith in the world. And they've come all this way and paid all this money to be at GenCon. So heck, yes, I'll listen to them. It's the LEAST I can do. I may shake hands or write autographs by the hundreds in a day, but every last one is THEIR moment for the person meeting me, and I try never to forget that. Gaming is about making friends, not money, and sharing dreams, not being rude to people. For me, GenCon is about seeing old friends and making new ones. Some of those friends are maids at the hotel or gents who sell me submarine sandwiches whose names I don't even know, but who remember me and smile eagerly - - and brighten my heart doing that. This GenCon, Erin Evans brought her infant son Idris to a few panels, and he had great fun pulling my beard. I had even more fun letting him pull it. I got the chance to flirt with old friends (Colin McComb, and Laura, Shelly, Marcy, and Sheila of Wizards) and new ones, and really "talk Realms" with Brian and Brian and Eric and Erik and Matt, and talk books with Gabrielle and Chris and James and James and Pierce and many more. I wish I could have talked to Kim longer, and found Calye and Chance and Phil. I wish GenCon had had a day of sleep, and then gone on for another week. I hope everyone who's a fan of the Realms will be happy with what we do in the years ahead. And Laurauna, I hope you find your brasserie. No, I didn't take it. Honest. I'm sure you'd look better in it than I would."

Heh. So saith Ed. Who brought his wife Jenny along with him, so belay all thoughts of hanky-panky. I couldn't make GenCon, but my spies report seeing Ed handing money to kids he'd just met to go shopping in the exhibit hall, so I know Ed was . . . being Ed. I love him.
love to all,
THO

As do we all....thank you and thanks Ed.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  08:38:48  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.

love to all,
THO

It sounds wonderful. One day... one day, I will make it to GenCon, no matter how much I have to save up, just so i can see all the awesome.

"Why do any of us get up in the morning? Why, for the joy and fun the day might bring us, if we're awake to see it! Up, then, and find ye fun!" - Elminster of Shadowdale

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
The Soulforged will come into light~" - Blind Guardian, "The Soulforged"
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  10:23:21  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hello all, I have a question for Ed on Waterdeep Watch and Guard.
I know there have been lot of answers here or in the Dragon articles about it, but I think this is a new question :

How would the Watch or the Guard react if PCs or adventurers have inquired some rumors by themselves, then simply give the prisoners to the Watch ?

How would react the Watch or the Guard if the authorities inquire about a problem, then adventurers arrive with the problem solved, with a lot of dead bodies (bad guys) during the settle ?

How the treasure gained by the PCs would be requisitionned ?

Any information about how react authorities of Waterdeep about such situations (and others that can come in mind when we talk about (fool) adventurers) would be a great help !

Edited by - Marco Volo on 23 Aug 2012 10:27:42
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  00:09:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
I just snowed under Ed's e-inbox with all of your latest Realmslore requests. The man himself is hosting family right now; they will all drive the hundred miles-plus in to FanExpo tomorrow morning.
So, gamers and Realms fans in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area - - if you want to meet Ed, he's at FanExpo Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and here's his schedule as of now:
Friday noon in the Author Autographing Area: Ed is signing.
Friday 3 pm in Room 715: Ed is on the Game Master Master Class panel with Robin Laws et al
Saturday 11 am in the Author Autographing Area: Ed is signing
Saturday 2 pm in Room 707: D&D Next panel
Saturday 3:30 pm: Ed is running a game set in the Realms for a table of lucky gamers (which means he can't take part in the 4 pm "I wrote the narrative backstory of an Orc!" panel)
Sunday 3 pm in Room 715: an Ed Greenwood Q&A, in which Ed will field all questions put to him! Veteran gamers know he'll drift out of the room at the end of this to sign things, have more conversations, and generally hang out with Realms fans.
After this, Ed has to get back to work on his day job, and plunge right back into writing his current novel, until Phantasm in Peterborough at the end of September. Oh, and answers scribes' Realmslore queries here, of course.
There. Public service announcements done for now. Back to the Realms, everyone!
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  19:59:47  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Here's hoping Ed has a good time with family and at FanExpo.

And for when he gets back, a question: How large a proportion of Waterdeep's population are people who have moved there from somewhere else?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  20:44:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Geeze, doesn't he ever get time to relax?

Tell him to spend a week at a spa. Then we can chain him to his desk for another five years.

But seriously, it doesn't seem to me Ed cares about Ed nearly as much as he cares about everyone else. Sainthood is nice and all, but we want him around awhile longer. I think most of us would agree that if he 'went quiet' for six months the fans would fully understand. Unfortunately, with 5e on the horizon and his new obligations, I just don't see that happening any time soon. His schedule sounds like one of those ones 'rock stars' have... just before we hear about their collapse. Make sure he takes care of himself, THO - the game be damned.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Aug 2012 18:58:12
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  22:46:53  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
And another one while I'm on a roll. Hopefully one that won't require any fact-checking, though.

What book that has not actually been written yet (fiction, non-fiction, RPG-style fictional non-fiction) would you most like to see written? And who should write it?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  08:55:46  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
As Ed is snowed under with questions, I hope these latest don't cause an e-avalanche.

Ed, I've some questions about your latest Eye on the Realms article "The Lost Dragon of Waterdeep":

Ghelmer’s ability to enter other paintings that have human blood mixed into the paint…can Ghelmer sense such things in paintings? Or is his ability a function of prior knowledge of paintings made in part from human blood (thanks to his days as an artist)?

If the sage Elaerla Raelingdorn was first plied with Sembian Soft Sharpnip and plenty of coin, then asked whether or not Ghelmer mixed his own blood into his paintings, how might she respond?

Has Elminster speculated on whether Gelmer’s own blood is in the painting found in the Eagleshield Mansion (Highroost)?

During his imprisonment has Ghelmer ever knowingly encountered any of his descendants (assuming he had any) from his dalliances when he was still living?

Can you please describe onsler eels and tonthur nuts and where can they be found in the Realms?

The radiance that emanated from Lady Eagleshield’s eyes as her organs were melted—is that a common side effect of the food concoction that slew her?

Sort of a longshot: do the Xraunrarr know about this organ melting effect? If yes, have they expanded on it? (I’m imagining a Xraun preparing some human stock for a meal and deciding it might be fun to turn dinner into a light show before consuming it, then discovering that fried-from-the-inside human tastes pretty good).

Thanks THO and Ed for answering all our questions (including the oddball ones).

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  03:58:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I've not heard and ahve not asked and nor do I know if he can answer it.

but it was said that hte realms were going to get support from the beggining, does this mean that the FR is going to be the core setting for 5e or is it goin to be seprate from the core rulebooks like its always been?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  04:15:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
From what I understand, as of right now, there is no plans to make FR the 'core setting', or if there is even going to be a core setting in D&Dnext.

FR will be the first world supported for 5th edition. This means that making some other world - like GH - the core world a little hard to swallow, but I wouldn't put it past them (GH was core in 3e, and got zero support).

I would guess the core rules will be 'plain vanilla' (with a generic cleric, a'la 1e), or use the non-setting paradigm used in 4e (which was a shame, because the non-setting had a lot of potential as a setting).

Question: (cause I have to ask one) - will Ed be revealing any 'old secrets' of the Realms in future realms products (and by that I mean something definite in something being released soon, or at the start of 5e)? Or are those 'deeper secrets' going to continue to be secrets? I expect new secrets, but it would be nice if at least one layer got peeled back (just enough to make us salivate for more).

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  14:15:50  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

From what I understand, as of right now, there is no plans to make FR the 'core setting', or if there is even going to be a core setting in D&Dnext.

FR will be the first world supported for 5th edition. This means that making some other world - like GH - the core world a little hard to swallow, but I wouldn't put it past them (GH was core in 3e, and got zero support).

I would guess the core rules will be 'plain vanilla' (with a generic cleric, a'la 1e), or use the non-setting paradigm used in 4e (which was a shame, because the non-setting had a lot of potential as a setting).

Question: (cause I have to ask one) - will Ed be revealing any 'old secrets' of the Realms in future realms products (and by that I mean something definite in something being released soon, or at the start of 5e)? Or are those 'deeper secrets' going to continue to be secrets? I expect new secrets, but it would be nice if at least one layer got peeled back (just enough to make us salivate for more).

Yeah, the way I understood it was there might not be a "core world", just a different one will get the spotlight at a time. The realms was tapped to be showcased first and we were told that focus was for a yet undetermined amount of time.

Good thing about all that vagueness is no one can accuse wotc of contradicting themselves if the focus is on the realms for two years or twenty.

and I would love to see a whole layer peeled back, but the way the threads are intertwined, that would be massive. I will settle for a thread or two, unraveled to near the "core"...but always hope for more!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 29 Aug 2012 14:17:26
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  18:13:08  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed in our world insects are limited in size back lack of oxygen, does that imply that Faerun has more oxygen than the era that produced monster insects on earth since faerun has gigantic insects? Does this also mean high oxygen content makes for more fires in regions that have frequent lightning strikes.....Would the Year of Lightning Storms been full of fires across Faerun do to high oxygen?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  18:21:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed is just back from FanExpo and wading through about two thousand (no, I'm not exaggerating) e-mails related to the Realms and all of his other work. Until he surfaces...
Sage, re. this: "Actually, an extended series of Zirta-based tales -- including more about how the city eventually evolves into Scornubel -- would be something worthwhile, I think."
Full agreement from me. Zirta was what is now "southbank" Scornubel, and stayed lawless but less under the thumb of the various thieving cabals and costers for much longer than the older, northbank part of Scornubel. For about three centuries it had something of the air of Lankhmar circa "Thieves' House," and we Knights have heard some of the local legends about various feuds, swindles, and hijinks. I know Ed would LOVE to delve into that (and for that matter, tell us all more about Queen Fee). However, he's only one man, and boy, is his plate full right now.
Then again, he's Ed, and can blaze through creative stuff faster than almost anyone I know, when he gets the chance...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  02:11:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. Ed is just back from FanExpo and wading through about two thousand (no, I'm not exaggerating) e-mails related to the Realms and all of his other work. Until he surfaces...
Sage, re. this: "Actually, an extended series of Zirta-based tales -- including more about how the city eventually evolves into Scornubel -- would be something worthwhile, I think."
Full agreement from me. Zirta was what is now "southbank" Scornubel, and stayed lawless but less under the thumb of the various thieving cabals and costers for much longer than the older, northbank part of Scornubel. For about three centuries it had something of the air of Lankhmar circa "Thieves' House," and we Knights have heard some of the local legends about various feuds, swindles, and hijinks. I know Ed would LOVE to delve into that (and for that matter, tell us all more about Queen Fee). However, he's only one man, and boy, is his plate full right now.
Then again, he's Ed, and can blaze through creative stuff faster than almost anyone I know, when he gets the chance...
love,
THO

Oh, I'd really love to hear more about that "three centuries" period.

Milady, perhaps you could pull, twist, and stretch Ed's arm? The Sage requires more!

Seriously, though, I'm content to wait. All this recent talk of Zirta really has me thinking that the plot I'm planning for next year's campaign might actually take place in Ed's fabled city. Time for more research.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1095 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  07:12:02  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message
I've been lurking here for years, but never actually posted on this thread before, so here goes for my first question to the most venerable sage of all things from the Realms. I've already opened a thread on this, so if I've stepped on some hidden rules, I apologise but I would like to hear what Ed has to say about.

In the Silver Marches sourcebook, it was stated that the Spellguard was found by Taern Hornblade in 1255 DR. Now if my math is right, that makes him more than 120 years old by the time of 1375DR (and Taern founded the Spellguard right out of his mother's womb). Being a human, he must have had at least some sort of age-extending enchantment cast on himself to be able to survive that long.

I couldn't verify the year of the founding in The North boxed set and the Savage Frontier supplement since it didn't contain any detailed information about the Spellguard, but I do remember that it was mentioned that the Spellguard was the idea of an earlier Silvermayor before 1255DR, but whether it was called the Spellguard by then, it didn't say.

Can you give an insight on the proper date or the reason of Taern's longetivity (and real age)?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  18:42:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! I bring you a new Realmslore reply from Ed, this time in response to questing gm re. the (directly) above posted questions.
Ed replies:

Sure, and well met, questing gm! Taern did indeed found the Spellguard in 1255 DR. He was formalizing an impromptu gang of “friendly” wizards and sorcerers (of whom he was a member) who worked “for” Silverymoon and the notion of an alliance with Everlund and policing the hinterlands of the two settlements, against the marauding monsters (and brigands, and orc, goblin, gnoll, and hobgoblin warbands) that plagued the vicinity - - not to mention recurring cabals of evil merchants and others who desired to undermine law and order in Silverymoon, and make it a “might makes right” frontier settlement where they could operate as they pleased.
Taern has been hopelessly in love with Alustriel for most of his adult life. Almost all who met him agree he is (or was) a grave, quiet-spoken, and fair man whose manner concealed great creative abilities with the Art. He experimented with improving the dangerous (because they can backfire, and age someone greatly or even to death, rather than extending life and vigor) potions of longevity of his early days, and made great strides in improving the stability and long-term efficacy of the mixtures. Naturally (for a man of his ethics) he did some of this experimentation on himself, and when inevitably reverses afflicted him, Alustriel worked to eradicate them when he was sleeping (with Mystra’s full approval). So it was that Taern, although outwardly aging, gained nigh a vigorous extra century of life (he was aware he’d extended his own natural span, but unaware Alustriel had aided him in living even longer). Taern is the epitome of the kind but just “good” mage, and such individuals (who instinctively resist the entrapments and corruption of wielding great power) are so rare as to be treasures to be guarded and maintained.
There are conflicting stories about the manner and dating of Taern’s end (some say he’s a “Weaveghost” or other servitor of Mystra, others that he survives to this day, though some claim he “lives on” in an enchanted item, not in his own body) and about his birth (1206 DR is a dating given in several records, but others say 1202, 1204, or as late as 1214). I’m afraid NDAs prevent me from clearing this matter up entirely.

So saith Ed, and there you have it. A glimpse of Taern, one of the great unsung folk of the Realms.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  19:58:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! I bring you another Realmslore reply from Ed of the Greenwood, this time in response to Marco Volo: “How would the Watch or the Guard react if PCs or adventurers have inquired some rumors by themselves, then simply give the prisoners to the Watch?
How would react the Watch or the Guard if the authorities inquire about a problem, then adventurers arrive with the problem solved, with a lot of dead bodies (bad guys) during the settle?
How the treasure gained by the PCs would be requisitioned?
Any information about how react authorities of Waterdeep about such situations (and others that can come in mind when we talk about (fool) adventurers) would be a great help!”
Ed replies:

Well (here we go again) “it depends.”
That is, reactions of the Watch and Guard differ from situation to situation, depending on how wary they are at the time regarding city crimes and security, the reputation and manner of the PCs and adventurers involved (some adventurers have developed pretty cozy “we’re your special secret agents” relationship with the Watch and Guard, who know/are under orders to to allow adventurers a little leeway), and who else is involved (whether or not any prisoners are guildmasters or nobles, for instance).
However, I can give you some “general” or “usual” procedures and reactions, as follows:
If adventurers turn up with prisoners and a story, they’ll get politely but thoroughly questioned by the Watch or Guard (and if they depart before this questioning is done, a “general watch, to arrest and detain” will be issued among the Guard and Watch, to hold them until questioning is done). This questioning will be augmented, in secret, by spells cast by the “duty mages” (currently on-duty with the Watch and Guard members) of the Watchful Order of Magists & Protectors, plus priests of Torm, Helm, and Oghma, seeking to ascertain the truth among what’s said.
The questioning will be even more exhaustive (with witnesses sought out and questioned separately, for verification) if deaths are involved.
The Watch and Guard (and the Black Robes/magistrates) have a lot of leeway in sentencing, from dismissing charges outright to imposing exiles and confiscations stop normal sentences, in cases involving adventurers starting fires, destroying or taking property, and murdering/“justifiably slaying.” A “lot of dead bodies” would trigger a thorough investigation, with the adventurers charged not to leave the city (and either imprisoned or given a Watch every-moment escort) until the investigation was done. Adventurers could well end up charged with slayings that were deemed “willful and unprovoked” (and it’s not enough to dislike someone, or to judge they’ve cheated you or wounded you in the past, to have justification for slaying them now - - defending your own life against their intended-murderous attack, when you have not goaded them, is all right, but when witnesses are sought and testimony taken, the “not goading” or who started it can be disputed and a matter of finings or imprisonment or worse.
Adventurers are seen as “necessary evils” and “rowdies to be watched closely” by the Watch and Guard, many of whom see them as “walking trouble waiting to happen,” so adventurers shouldn’t be surprised, if trouble does erupt, to discover they’ve been spied upon for some time by street urchins or female shopkeepers who are, in fact, “eyes of the Watch.”
Treasure gained by PCs in a private dispute is theirs, considered “fair spoils,” unless some part of it is needed as evidence in a criminal or politicial dispute (whereupon it will be confiscated and “fair credit,” fairness/value judged solely by the Palace, given in lieu to the adventurers).
Treasure gained through crime (i.e. the adventurers are judged to have forcibly taken, stolen, or done murder to get ot keep goods that would otherwise have belonged to someone else) are forfeit to the Palace, and are to be returned to rightful owners or heirs (or failing, that, retained in the Palace coffers).
In commercial disputes or criminal proceedings, the Black Robe often officially shares out treasure among plaintiffs/victims, in accordance with the Black Robe’s notion of justice (so adventurers could be given back a part or even all of their treasure, or see it go to victims or the families of victims).
As standing policy, the Guard and Watch keep a close but covert eye on known adventurers in the city. Resident nobles and agents working for them can “buy their way” out of minor trouble, but everyone else should beware. The Guard and Watch have limited patience with troublemakers, and have been known to manipulate and lead outlander adventurers into brawls and thefts so the adventurers can face the drawn-swords danger AND take the blame. In other words, the authorities aren’t above using adventurers as both unofficial strike forces AND scapegoats. (Some adventurers are paid enforcers for the Guard and Watch, who wade into drunken sailors or guild disputes when asked to by the Guard and Watch, and are given limited immunity from prosecution for what they do in such strife, by the authorities “turning a blind eye” to what obviously went on.)
(Waterdeep’s laws are laid out in many of the relevant published Realms products.)
This is obviously an endless topic, but I hope I’ve given you enough to be useful.

So saith Ed, loremaster and creator of the Realms. And a busy busy man, as always.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  11:28:41  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message
Hello! I asked a rather silly question in the 'Stupid Questions' thread and the kind sages here gave me a good answer in dragons being the most likely candidates but someone suggested it might be an idea to post it here for a more enlightening reply so... Is there a Realmsian non-humanoid creature that has a particularly long courtship (not mating) ritual?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1095 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  14:57:03  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message
With enlightening joy, I thank Ed and The Hooded One for giving the answer to my riddle, that will have a place in my love for Realmslore of the Silver Marches.
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  09:03:12  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
quote:
This is obviously an endless topic, but I hope I’ve given you enough to be useful.

So saith Ed, loremaster and creator of the Realms. And a busy busy man, as always.
love,
THO

Thanks for the time you spent on this question, and the explanations you give us about this topic ! It gives a LOT of ideas, as always...
All the best,
Marco

Edited by - Marco Volo on 01 Sep 2012 09:07:21
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  18:45:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! I bring Ed's response to Kajehase, re. this: "How large a proportion of Waterdeep's population are people who have moved there from somewhere else?"
Ed replies:

Well, as usual, "it depends." Both on the time of year, and the date in question. Every summer the population of Waterdeep swells as folk arrive to trade, look for work, look to prey off citizens and visitors, and so on. Every winter it shrinks as some folk head for warmer, more southerly locales.
Yet at any given time, Waterdeep's population is probably a minimum of one-third "outlanders who arrived within the last two decades." That's a very rough estimate, though, and no one's doing a proper census. (The tax collectors try, but . . .)

So saith Ed. I'd just like to underscore that many folk who call themselves "Waterdhavians" are, at any give time, "on the road" elsewhere because they make their livings moving trade goods (by caravan, ship, or handful-of-mules peddling), and so aren't in the city to be counted, making the visitors or recent arrivals about a third.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  22:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
Hi tho, is there any chance of Ed himself coming here and giving his own take on 5e?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2012 :  12:21:30  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Thank you for the answer, Ed and the Lovely Hooded One. And a follow-up if I may: Are there any "Chinatowns" or "Little Italy's" (or "Lilla Syrien" to use an example closer to where I live) in Waterdeep. I.e. areas where one specific nationality cluster together?

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2012 :  18:40:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Kajehase, it so happens Ed answered that specific question for TSR designers, way back when, so I have his reply in my notes:

Waterdeep truly is a tolerant "melting pot" where all folk dwell and work together (motivated by common greed, many say). The social divisions in the City of Splendors are economic, rather than human sub-racial/cultural/"national" - - in general, the wealthier you are, the farther north you live (and the closer to either Mount Waterdeep or the sea).
This is a very rough rule, because wealthy folk who prize solitude or quiet over social high profile prefer to dwell in North Ward and closer to the inland city wall, and folk who live and breathe trade like to live closer to the Market.
Visibly non-human individuals, and poor/unemployed newcomers to the city tend to end up in Dock Ward or South Ward (Dock Ward is more dangerous for females, scholars, and children, and lacks the amount of available accommodations, whereas many warehouse owners in South Ward don't mind building "rafter rooms" above their storage space and making extra coin off rents).
So there are no "ghettos" based on human origins (all the Calishites clustering here, the folk from Turmish or the Tashalar there), but half-orcs, and half-breeds that look "slightly" serpent-like or otherwise monstrous, will likely dwell in Dock Ward.
Half-elves, gnomes, dwarves, and halflings dwell wherever their wealth and desires dictate, and can be found everywhere in the city, but dwarves active in foundry-work are most likely to be in Dock Ward, and many gnomes and halflings dwell in Trades Ward and Castle Ward.
The natural human tendencies to seek out someone of your own culture/background (unless you're trying to hide from such people, of course) lead to a Calishite seeking a Calishite landlord or patron, but due to the bustling nature of Waterdeep, that doesn't often translate into clusters of Calishite-occupied houses; aside from the oldest landowning nobles, landlords tend to own properties scattered all over the city rather than in "blocks."

So saith Ed. To which I would add: if you're playing in the late 1400s, add Mistshore and Downshadow and the other "new" neighbourhoods to "will likely dwell in Dock Ward."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2012 :  19:18:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
And thanks again

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000