Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  13:42:30  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Thank you very much, Ed, and lady THO for bringing the answer to my question! Wonderful lore, as always!

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Well met again, fellow scribes! Ed’s Realmslore replies continue, with a response to this post from Barastir, from June 25th: “Speaking of dragons, in the 2e Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set, specifically in the adventure "The Wyrm Below," there is a mention to temple of a human cult to some "Aumrathar the Greater Dragon." THO, can you provide more details about this, or ask Ed if he has something to add? Sages, was anything else published or revealed about this cult, that I missed?
Was Aumrathar actually a dragon, an archetypical dragon, or a divine manifestation? Was it good, evil or neutral (after all, its cult was hidden, right)? If it was a dragon, to which race/color it belonged to? Was it a manifestation a Bahamut, Tiamat, or other known deity/entity? Was it a he or a she?”
Ed replies:

Aumrathar was an elder male gold dragon to whom something “happened” that his worshippers believe was ascension to divinity (but might have been empowerment by literally stumbling into ancient magic that transformed him, as some sages suggest, or the meddlings of Bahamut, Tiamat, or another draconic deity or dragon-interested god, as yet other sages have postulated).
To put it simply, it seems Aumrathar gained the ability to become any dragon type and age or either gender at will, shapeshifting as often as desired and gaining all powers and abilities of “his” assumed form (except perhaps - - mortals debate this - - not being able to gain the powers of ancient wyrms older than Aumrathar was when he “Changed”), while retaining the powers, memories, and capabilities he had before his Change. Aumrathar became a wanderer, hidden in many forms, visiting other dragons for the apparent aim of making lots of dragon babies and repopulating the Realms with dragons (of all sorts).
Some sages think this is mere meddling, or intended to break the power of human civilizations, while others think some dark deity is behind this, desiring to gain dragons as steeds, attack forces, and long-term servitors. Still others believe Aumrathar is the herald of a new age (or cycle) among dragons, and that this has nothing to do with other beings in the Realms at all (except as they’re inevitably affected by there being more hungry, power- and wealth-seeking dragons around).
Aumrathar’s cult in Myth Drannor is small, controversial, and something many don’t even want to think about, because they need to think about more immediate threats to the status quo.
The truth behind all this? Yet to be revealed, and I’d say up to individual DMs, because I can’t see the published Realms getting to addressing this anytime soon. However, I control not the Realms and see the future but poorly, so snatch up thy proverbial grains of salt and be ready, grasshopper . . . :}

So saith Ed. Venerable sensei of the Realms, who like all of us mere mortals, is getting more venerable by the day.
love to all,
THO

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  20:09:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Okay, here's an odd question (inspired by George's comments): THO, have you ever seen Ed actually lose his patience with someone? I can't picture it myself, but you've known him a long time.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Hehe. I've done a lot of work free for WotC/Hasbro for the better part of a decade. If I did it for anything resembling recompense, I'd have walked away years ago! Who knows, one day my author copies of GHotR might even turn up in the post ...
You know, to me, that is the greatest kind of 'realmslore' - the stuff done just for the love of the Forgotten Realms, and not for a paycheck.

Don't get me wrong - getting PAID is great, but it shouldn't be 'the point' of why we do things.

Just IMHO, is all.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  05:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message
Some Manshoon related questions (although I imagine they'll get a three letter answer). I'll ask them in a series to hopefully parse the Non-NDA answers out.

Did Manshoon develop the Stasis Clone spell himself or did he find it?
Have the full extent of the powers and effects of Stasis Clone been revealed?
If Manshoon developed Stasis Clone, was he at all inspired by Zunroun Ilber of Calimport? (Secrets of the Magister Page 50). How likely is it that the off-panel original Manshoon activated his own clones in order to achieve a specific end, such as slay a specific enemy as Zunroun similarly attempted?

Does the knowledge and skill acquired by Manshoon's clones filter to the original? Manshoon wouldn't complacently sit around while his clones became mightier in Art than he. Does the original Manshoon get updated, much as clones may be updated with the memories of their maker.
Is Manshoon linked to his clones? (Can he hear their thoughts, use their senses, invade their minds?)

Can a cloned Manshoon create Stasis Clones of himself?
Does the original Manshoon have control over his [presumably unwitting] clones?
If he has power over them, does hes similarly have power over the derivative clones created by his clones?

Is Manshoon really Manshoon? In that, is he the character that has been detailed in the sourcebooks (such as Ruins of Zhentil Keep) or is he actually someone else, perhaps an older powerful archmage who adopted the identity that would become Manshoon?

Is there any chance of us seeing the original Manshoon? Perhaps in an imminent novel? ;)

Veritas
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  09:15:47  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed. Elucidating Realmslore every day, like the Energizer Bunny of game designers.

Many thanks to Ed and yourself, milady. A question that struck my mind on reading the response, and the reply to Erendriel, that I may have asked before:

"However, Mystra doesn’t Choose often, and usually chooses people who do wield arcane magic, and are loners/outcasts/those who’ve seen some hardship, and are intelligent and sensitive."

Has Midnight-Mystra yet chosen anybody as a new Chosen? Most of the Chosen we've known about (Elminster, Khelben, the Seven, the ones Khelben saw in the vision in Blackstaff, possibly Narandor, Symrustar, another elven Chosen whose name I can't recall who I think appeared in a flashback Elminster had once, Sammaster, and probably many others...) seem to have been, well, "chosen" by Mystra 1.0 rather than her replacement. Is Ed able to shed any light on particular Chosen who Midnight-Mystra may have "inducted" into the ranks? Were her criteria mostly the same as her predecessor, or were there some alterations/differences in the way she went about it? I assume Dornal Silverhand still scouts out new candidates?

(If I've asked this before, I do apologise, and if it runs up against NDAs preventing Ed from giving an answer, then I'll just have to grin and bear it, I suppose.)

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  13:12:35  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message
There's one naztharune rakshasa in Waterdeep working for the Unseen

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  13:20:59  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Aumrathar’s cult in Myth Drannor is small, controversial, and something many don’t even want to think about, because they need to think about more immediate threats to the status quo.

Only one question that came to me regarding the cult: how people in Myth Drannor see it, in general? People don't know about it? They see it as harmless, even if it protects the interest of dragons? Aumrathar was a gold, after all, and probably meant no harm to other races... Any one of these can be answered?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  17:54:02  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Seeing pictures of Ed's game session at OSRCon, without rulebooks on the table, reminds me that the next D&D and publication of the Realms will offer a great chance to introduce people to this style -- people who weren't there when, instead of writing to Penthouse, he first reminded us that 'Players don't need to know all the rules'. Let's see this discussed in a Realms book, or at least an online piece.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  19:04:42  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Well, no completist of Ed Greenwood writing can call him or herself that until they've found all those Penthouse issues. [;D]

Now a question for ED and THO:

On or about the time Alusair had her first council with nobles after she became Regent, what was the Open Feast like? I'm sure there was jockying for power and intrigue, but I'm curious if any plots were hatched that you can mention? Also, did any guest get murdered in some other part of the palace? Did any long-lasting fueds get started over insults or something overheard as the Feast went late into the night and people got drunk and rowdy?

THO, have you ever roleplayed through an Open Feast in Cormyr? If yes, what was memorable about it? Did any NPCs try to manipulate the Knights or trick them into taking the fall for something?

I ask because I've borrowed the Feast from one of Ed's novels for my own D&D game (I also put the Haunted Wing in) and I'm trying to think up ways to get my players in trouble the night before they're to present themselves to the Regent at court for doing (mostly) good deeds.

Thank you both in advance.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  20:14:39  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

Some Manshoon related questions

WOW they are excellent questions, in my game Manshoon Prime certainly does gain knowledge from the various clones he has running around in charge of the Zhentarim etc.

I am really looking forward to any answers that Ed can supply once GenCon is over

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  01:13:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Seeing pictures of Ed's game session at OSRCon, without rulebooks on the table, reminds me that the next D&D and publication of the Realms will offer a great chance to introduce people to this style -- people who weren't there when, instead of writing to Penthouse, he first reminded us that 'Players don't need to know all the rules'. Let's see this discussed in a Realms book, or at least an online piece.

This does remind me that I did have a query for Ed after reading that Grognardia post...

Looking at the photos, it appears that a grand time was enjoyed by all involved. So, what tales of OSRCon could you regale us with, Ed?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  08:34:21  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Seeing pictures of Ed's game session at OSRCon, without rulebooks on the table, reminds me that the next D&D and publication of the Realms will offer a great chance to introduce people to this style -- people who weren't there when, instead of writing to Penthouse, he first reminded us that 'Players don't need to know all the rules'.

It would be great if a Gen-Con session with Ed as a DM was recorded on video and then put online. It could be great interest for those who cannot go to Gen Con.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  17:41:55  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hi Ed! I know you're still at Gencon, but I figured I'd get this in now while it's still fresh in my mind.

There's been a lot of talk stirred up by the keynote and the CK seminar, on a complete range of good, bad, and "eh, show me." One of the things that sounds very interesting is the idea of "edition and time neutral" adventures and sourcebooks. It sounds like this amazing idea, but from where I'm sitting I don't see how it's possible. How can you have a sourcebook that carefully and lovingly details a particular place, but have it be at any point of time? And even if you can do that for that for an isolated place (Vaasa, or Sosal, maybe), how do you do it for two deeply interconnected places? I'm thinking specifically of Thay and Rashemen/Aglarond, where the one has a very specific influence on the others and affects their history and course of development, but the argument could also be made for the Dalelands and the Moonsea and plenty of other places.

Time neutral adventures would be easier to pull off. Setting neutral would be a lot harder, since a lot of people buy adventures specifically so they don't have to go through the process of statting out a dungeons and all the inhabitants.

I was hoping you could speak a bit about how you see something as time or edition neutral actually working in practice. I realize you're probably hosting several scores of NDA's, so if you can't say, or need to get general, that's fine. I'd just like to get some ideas on how this concept might actually be made practical in a setting with as much history (both in game and RW) as the Realms.

Thanks, as always, and I hope your Gencon went as well as you were hoping!

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  23:25:07  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Hi Ed! I know you're still at Gencon, but I figured I'd get this in now while it's still fresh in my mind.

There's been a lot of talk stirred up by the keynote and the CK seminar, on a complete range of good, bad, and "eh, show me." One of the things that sounds very interesting is the idea of "edition and time neutral" adventures and sourcebooks. It sounds like this amazing idea, but from where I'm sitting I don't see how it's possible. How can you have a sourcebook that carefully and lovingly details a particular place, but have it be at any point of time? And even if you can do that for that for an isolated place (Vaasa, or Sosal, maybe), how do you do it for two deeply interconnected places? I'm thinking specifically of Thay and Rashemen/Aglarond, where the one has a very specific influence on the others and affects their history and course of development, but the argument could also be made for the Dalelands and the Moonsea and plenty of other places.

Time neutral adventures would be easier to pull off. Setting neutral would be a lot harder, since a lot of people buy adventures specifically so they don't have to go through the process of statting out a dungeons and all the inhabitants.

I was hoping you could speak a bit about how you see something as time or edition neutral actually working in practice. I realize you're probably hosting several scores of NDA's, so if you can't say, or need to get general, that's fine. I'd just like to get some ideas on how this concept might actually be made practical in a setting with as much history (both in game and RW) as the Realms.

Thanks, as always, and I hope your Gencon went as well as you were hoping!

Lovely THO , I'd like to piggy back on this question.

I'd love to see Ed quickly sum up the changes in his scroll as susinctly as he did when he arrived at the Candlekeep Seminar. His first few sentances summed it up neatly and I'm afraid I'm hashing it up in the GenCon scrolls trying to paraphrase from my sleepy memory!

It may serve to avoid much gnashing of teeth and wails of despair.........which now that I think of it......ain't all bad either

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 17 Aug 2012 23:26:47
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2012 :  08:39:27  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I wonder if these rumors of a "director's cut of the Haunted Halls" means that every question Ed has ever had to respond to with "NDA" can now be revisited with a more substantive answer.

Edit: ...except the ones that are being addressed in other authors' work, of course. Cuz Ed will be in the Guinness Book as The Busiest Man In The World.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 18 Aug 2012 08:41:43
Go to Top of Page

NineCoronas
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2012 :  06:05:52  Show Profile Send NineCoronas a Private Message
How do you pronounce "The Lluirwood"?
Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2012 :  12:12:09  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NineCoronas

How do you pronounce "The Lluirwood"?

I've always assumed it was pronounced the way the Welsh pronounce a double l at the beginning of a word - "Lluir" would sound a lot like "clear", except you make the "cl" sound more at the back of the throat, a bit like a cough.

Welsh is weird.

"Why do any of us get up in the morning? Why, for the joy and fun the day might bring us, if we're awake to see it! Up, then, and find ye fun!" - Elminster of Shadowdale

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
The Soulforged will come into light~" - Blind Guardian, "The Soulforged"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  01:01:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
I can't put into words how much Ed participating in the Candlekeep seminar was appreciated by not just me, but everyone I talked to that evening. He is always gracious, appreciative, funny, witty.....and the list goes on. But how does he do it? Everyday.....I'm sure like everyone else he has bad days, but every interaction with a fan is so positive, he makes so many people feel special and appreciated.

Thank you Ed.

And thank you THO for being our direct line to him. You are appreciated every bit as much.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  01:41:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
The energy changes in a room when Ed walks in.

Although James Lowder was no slouch either. The two together were like a comedy team - you guys were awesome.

Thanks for everything - Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  18:49:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hi THO. I hope you were able to steal some time to get to Gencon, unlike so many of us poor scribes here at the Keep who were stuck at home, scrounging for information.

I have two questions for you, rather than Ed this time. First, have the Knights had any encounters with genies, bound or otherwise? If so, can you share?

And second, if the Knights were invited by a high-ranking genie noble (say a marid or djinn sultan, but not the supreme ruler) to be honored guests at a feast in that noble's realm (and water breathing was supplied, if it's the marid), what would they wear, and what would they bring as gifts for their host? What do the Knights wear when they want to "clean up well" and impress someone powerful whose attention they have attracted?

Thanks, as always.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  16:33:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm concerned that Ed gets lonely if I don't ask a new question every few months... so here's a new one!

Is there a Realms term for "sixth sense"? I don't mean sixth sense as in "I see dead PCs!" or sixth sense as in "I, Madame Whosabob, will part the strands of time to reveal your destiny!" I mean sixth sense like the guy who realizes he's about to be ambushed a few seconds before the baddies jump out, or the guy who arbitrarily ducks and doesn't get hit by the attack from behind -- more like "my spider-sense is tingling!"

Is there a term for that in the Realms?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  18:26:55  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm concerned that Ed gets lonely if I don't ask a new question every few months... so here's a new one!

Is there a Realms term for "sixth sense"? I don't mean sixth sense as in "I see dead PCs!" or sixth sense as in "I, Madame Whosabob, will part the strands of time to reveal your destiny!" I mean sixth sense like the guy who realizes he's about to be ambushed a few seconds before the baddies jump out, or the guy who arbitrarily ducks and doesn't get hit by the attack from behind -- more like "my spider-sense is tingling!"

Kissed by Tymora?
Beshaba's butt-kicker?
Mr. I-took-Improved-Initiative-five-times-and-house-ruled-it-stacked?

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  19:09:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Kissed by Tymora?
Beshaba's butt-kicker?

I'd imagine the first two would apply more to anyone one who always seemed to be in the right place at the right time, whether it was for a chance encounter with an attractive member of the opposite sex or having a horseman speed by and drop his purse.

I'd actually expect something more like "he's got Helm's eyes" or "Tempus's foresight" or something more like that.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  19:28:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Kissed by Tymora?
Beshaba's butt-kicker?

I'd imagine the first two would apply more to anyone one who always seemed to be in the right place at the right time, whether it was for a chance encounter with an attractive member of the opposite sex or having a horseman speed by and drop his purse.

I'd actually expect something more like "he's got Helm's eyes" or "Tempus's foresight" or something more like that.

Or Eric's Tingling Leg??

I could swear he said something sent a tingling up it while he was on the panel.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 21 Aug 2012 19:30:17
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  19:31:44  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:

Treating your question seriously, I think talking about someone having "Helm's eyes" is a great turn of phrase.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  19:46:02  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Treating your question seriously, I think talking about someone having "Helm's eyes" is a great turn of phrase.
I tend to use Helmsight or battlesight for this sort of thing, depending on the skill and the context.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  02:02:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:

quote:

I tend to use Helmsight or battlesight for this sort of thing, depending on the skill and the context.

I'd also previously considered Oghmasight in terms of any sixth sense related to planning [through knowledge] or intuition during composing/writing.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  02:02:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Although James Lowder was no slouch either. The two together were like a comedy team - you guys were awesome.
A comedy routine starring Jim and Ed? I would've loved to have seen that.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  05:28:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Yup - I picked the right year, methinks. They feed off each other's energy (maybe their outsiders? The feed off of the emotional bliss FR lore provides...)

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:

quote:

So, if a drow has this, would it be called 'spider sense'?

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  17:41:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed. A couple of us have been tossing ideas around about novels in another thread, and it occurred to me that if WotC is moving toward a more small-scale, character-driven kind of novel, then it might not matter as much in what era the novel is set in. Authors could write the stories they want, without needing to worry as much about staying in whatever is currently defined as the "present."

So you could have Elaine writing about Liriel and the Elves Three, you writing adventures of a young Mirt and Durnan, Bob finally getting to show Josidiah's quest for the Warblade, all while Erin Evans continues her 4e-era works, and someone else who wanted could write "picking up the pieces after the Spellplague." Or the Return of Bane. Or Romeo and Juliette as reimagined in the Crown Wars. Or whatever. And since novels are only supposed to have local consequences, as opposed to major across-the-Realms changes, all of these series could co-exist in peace.

Do you think this is at all possible, once the Sundering RSE is over? And is there anyone we could lobby to make it more likely?

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  19:17:25  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

So you could have Elaine writing about Liriel and the Elves Three, you writing adventures of a young Mirt and Durnan, Bob finally getting to show Josidiah's quest for the Warblade, all while Erin Evans continues her 4e-era works, and someone else who wanted could write "picking up the pieces after the Spellplague." Or the Return of Bane. Or Romeo and Juliette as reimagined in the Crown Wars. Or whatever. And since novels are only supposed to have local consequences, as opposed to major across-the-Realms changes, all of these series could co-exist in peace.

Do you think this is at all possible, once the Sundering RSE is over? And is there anyone we could lobby to make it more likely?

This type of stuff would be really nice to see. I'd even say it'd be nice to do these in short story, novelet, and novella format. Take Science Fiction & Fantasy, a little 160 page book that costs $4.50 and has about half a dozen of these types of stories put out every two months I believe. Wizards could release this in ebook format for a small fee or tie it into DDI or whatever. It'd be a good option for stories that may not support an entire novel's length and maybe even for younger readers due to lower page count and story length. It would also be a good space for Wizards to seek out new talented authors and characters for the Realms. I for one would love to be able to download a little book of Realms centered short stories onto my iPad every couple months.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000