Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 66

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14387 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2012 :  03:24:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Judging by some of the pre-plague things Vangy was involved with, I very much doubt the boy ever knew his father, and probably bears resentment because of that (once again, a very realistic portrayal of Ed's very human characters).

Question:
Ed, does Elminster ever visit Secomber, or is it too painful for him?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jul 2012 07:52:19
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2012 :  23:13:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, this one I can answer, from play: El does indeed visit Secomber, without apparent remorse/upset. Not often, mind you . . . but then again, Secomber isn't quite the hotbead of sedition/magical misuse/intrigue/slithering evil that some other places in the Realms (that command more of El's attention) are.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  01:50:21  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Markustay, this one I can answer, from play: El does indeed visit Secomber, without apparent remorse/upset. Not often, mind you . . . but then again, Secomber isn't quite the hotbead of sedition/magical misuse/intrigue/slithering evil that some other places in the Realms (that command more of El's attention) are.
love,
THO

This has piqued my curiosity, somewhat.

Lady Hooded One, could you please share the date and year of Elminster's last visit to Secomber in Ed's home campaign?

I've long been thinking about developing a Secomber-based campaign for my players. But I just haven't been able to find the right way to draw them to the city. The players have had some recent involvement with hunting down "the artifacts of Elminster," so being able to trace his path to Secomber would be helpful.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  03:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
I seem to recall Ed hand-drawing a map of Secomber and giving it to a scribe (used to be active here, double-barreled name, first one beginning with "A," I think) at Phantasm in Fort Wayne, Indiana, a few years back.

Edit: It was Alorin Dawn.
I wonder, Sage, if you contacted him, he might share a scan of Ed's map?

Edited by - Malcolm on 17 Jul 2012 03:27:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14387 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  04:21:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Someday I WILL do a map of Athalantar.

I am fascinated by all the 'lost kingdoms' of Faerūn. The deeper you dig, the more 'layers' you begin to see, with tons of overlap.

@Sage - you may be able to find some of the 'lost treasures' amongst the Tree Ghost tribe.

There's also Baldur's Gate and Tethyr - those are the places/peoples where the Athalanteans wound-up. Hmmmmm... wasn't Lhaeo from Tethyr?

Interesting connection....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  21:27:45  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There's also Baldur's Gate and Tethyr - those are the places/peoples where the Athalanteans wound-up. Hmmmmm... wasn't Lhaeo from Tethyr?

Interesting connection....

Hi Markus, where did you come across the link of Athalanteans and Tethyr?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14387 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  23:33:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
My favorite issue of Dragon, #228.

quote:
Pg.26, 3rd paragraph...
In the 1120 or so years since the events described in Elminster: The Making of a Mage, the kingdom of Athalantar has completely vanished. Only the elves (and a few confused human legends, mainly told in Secomber) remember it. The Athalantan folk are lost and scattered; some became the Tree Ghost Uthgardt barbarian tribe of the Sword Coast North, and others settled in what became Tethyr and along the Sword Coast where Baldur’s Gate now stands.

Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  05:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
quote:

My favorite issue of Dragon, #228.

quote:
Pg.26, 3rd paragraph...
In the 1120 or so years since the events described in Elminster: The Making of a Mage, the kingdom of Athalantar has completely vanished. Only the elves (and a few confused human legends, mainly told in Secomber) remember it. The Athalantan folk are lost and scattered; some became the Tree Ghost Uthgardt barbarian tribe of the Sword Coast North, and others settled in what became Tethyr and along the Sword Coast where Baldur’s Gate now stands.

Tethyr you say? How very interesting...
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Seeker

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  18:16:35  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage  Send dravenloft an AOL message  Send dravenloft an ICQ Message  Click to see dravenloft's MSN Messenger address  Send dravenloft a Yahoo! Message Send dravenloft a Private Message
Ed, In more than one of your stories I've read, during interaction with Lheo it's hinted that Elminster has visited our world on a few occassions. That recently caused me to try to imagine El in an aloha shirt and Mickey Mouse ears chewing cotton candy at Disney World. So I've just got to ask, what does the great mage do when he visits us? Where's he like to go? Louvre and Carnegie Hall, or maybe a trip to Jamaica for chicken and a Jimmy Buffet show?

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  18:38:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. According to Ed, Elminster has visited many places. Among his favourites to revisit: the British Museum (the storage facilities and back rooms, not the public galleries), Portmeiron, one of the several long and deep cave complexes, Ed's cottage, the Nahani or another of the wild natural rivers of North America, several of the more haunted and less publicly overrun stately homes of the English Home Counties, the Burning Man festival, and oh, yes, Gencon.
Although I've sent your question on to Ed to see if he has an update for you.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14387 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  19:20:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
And I would assume - just like on Toril - he has several aliases he goes by when on other worlds?

Which makes me wonder what he is looking at in those storage areas of the British museums, and why (beyond mere curiosity, of course).

Has he ever gone to a movie? What does he think of them (and television)? I can just imagine him going to see Lord of the Rings...

BTW, thank you and Ed for your response to my last query.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jul 2012 19:22:05
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Seeker

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  22:08:09  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage  Send dravenloft an AOL message  Send dravenloft an ICQ Message  Click to see dravenloft's MSN Messenger address  Send dravenloft a Yahoo! Message Send dravenloft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. According to Ed, Elminster has visited many places. Among his favourites to revisit: the British Museum (the storage facilities and back rooms, not the public galleries), Portmeiron, one of the several long and deep cave complexes, Ed's cottage, the Nahani or another of the wild natural rivers of North America, several of the more haunted and less publicly overrun stately homes of the English Home Counties, the Burning Man festival, and oh, yes, Gencon.
Although I've sent your question on to Ed to see if he has an update for you.
love,
THO

Awesome, thanks. Though like Markustay said, that now begs many a question about those museums

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2907 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  23:24:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:

Someday I WILL do a map of Athalantar.

You need to hurry...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  02:26:45  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
The British Museum? Was he looking for the Mace of St. Cuthbert?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  04:03:04  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

I seem to recall Ed hand-drawing a map of Secomber and giving it to a scribe (used to be active here, double-barreled name, first one beginning with "A," I think) at Phantasm in Fort Wayne, Indiana, a few years back.

Edit: It was Alorin Dawn.
I wonder, Sage, if you contacted him, he might share a scan of Ed's map?

Hmmm. Good call. I'll check with Alorin.
quote:

@Sage - you may be able to find some of the 'lost treasures' amongst the Tree Ghost tribe.
I'm hazy on my lore-references this morning. Where's that from?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14387 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  04:13:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@Sage - see my response to Mumadar Ibn Huza above.

quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

I thought he was looking for his old skullcap he lost. It protected him from psionic attacks (and looked damn sexy).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30338 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  04:16:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Nice reference! I was thinking of that one, myself!

For those scratching their heads: Dragon 100 had an adventure where the PCs wound up in (what was then) modern London, needing to retrieve an artifact -- the Mace of St. Cuthbert -- from the British Museum. It was not the only magical item they had on display, as I recall.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2907 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  06:04:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Elminster: Night in the Museum!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  09:08:43  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

@Sage - see my response to Mumadar Ibn Huza above.
Right, right. I missed that earlier. I'm a little off today.

Interestingly, I'd wonder whether there might be anything more Ed could add to that particular tidbit.

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  19:39:03  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message
Ed,

1) How early is it reasonable to assume that Vangerdahast started using Giogi Wyvernspur as a decoy for Azoun IV? It happens in Curse of the Azure Bonds, but I'm looking to see how reasonable a trick it may be in 1351.

2) Any further information you could share on Dasmer, Jlanesse, or Baskorm Cormaeril?

3) How much trade (if any) and of what sort would be likely to take place between the Moonsea cities (specifically Hulburg) and Cormyr?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  20:09:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I've just received an e-mail from Ed that touches on some current queries, so here we go...

Markustay, Elminster was most interested in Faerunian magic items and non-magical valuables (deeds, signet rings, etc.) that were hidden inside some of the stuffed and mounted rare/extinct beasties (would-be searchers: leave the beasties be; El has found what he sought, so all the loot is gone, now).
And no, he's never borrowed Merlin's chromed skullcap. Until his recent demise, Nicol Williamson was likely using it as an ashtray. ;}

Brimstone: re. Elminster: Night At The Museum: right on! I'd watch that in a heartbeat, and I believe such a franchise, given good writing, could give us at least three good movies before the inevitable slide into mediocrity . . .

Rhewtani: Ed will of course have to give you a proper reply, but here's a start: Vangey COULD use Giogi as a decoy that early on, but it's unlikely he would (because Cat is no fool, for one thing); Vangerdahast is far more likely to use one noble as a decoy, then another, and then another, and so on, switching nobles often. It's less likely to be detected and gives him a stable of influenced nobles whom he might be able to fool into thinking they have a "special" status in the eyes of the Crown. Giogi makes a superb decoy, yes, but would be one of several, to my way of thinking...

And then we come to Hulburg, and its trade with Cormyr.
Imports from the Forest Kingdom: textiles and "current fashion" clothing, scents, medicines, oils, fine wines, tools, and leatherwear (belts, baldrics, pouches, and boots).
Exports to the Forest Kingdom: forgebars of smelted metals (which can be mined in the Moonsea North more cheaply and in purer form than the deposits still remaining and easily accessed in Cormyr, given centuries of mining and local drow population changes). Other Moonsea cities also produce tin and bulk furs (which could be shipped to Cormyr through Hulburg).

And there we have it. Small doses of daily Realmslore for everyone.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 19 Jul 2012 20:18:30
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14387 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  20:45:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Great replies!

So Elminster isn't the same person as Merlin? I figured he was such a meddler, why stop at one world?

Did he ever meet him? El is old enough, and if the Earth he visits is the same as the one in the Gothic Earth Gazeteer (which would make sense - that is the canon D&D Earth), then Merlin did/does indeed exist there. Whether he is still around or not shouldn't really matter - both gentlemen should be able to travel through time, and there was still some overlap even if they couldn't (about 300 years or so).

Or, has Merlin ever visited the Realms? I know I asked you once before if any famous personages from Earth ever visited the Realms, but I don't think I ever got a response (other then maybe the infamous mysterious "oh, YES....")

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jul 2012 20:46:35
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  16:37:19  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Markustay, excuse me, but what is the Gothic Earth Gazetteer?
Still in print, published when and by who?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1412 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  16:50:50  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Markustay, excuse me, but what is the Gothic Earth Gazetteer?
Still in print, published when and by who?
Thanks!

The Gothic Earth Gazeteer is one book of the Masque of the Red Death line of TSR / AD&D / Ravenloft products, in a less magic rich setting in Earth, in which the classical monsters showed up (Dracula, Frankenstein monster, etc.), instead of inspirated copies that avoided copyright issues. It was set on 18th century Earth, IIRC.

Edit: It was a wonderful Earth-based game accessory, but Merlin and other Earth-related characters, settings and respective stats were released in 1e and 3e Deities and Demigods and 1e and 2e Legends & Lore, even if maps and settings weren't always available. Maybe the 2e historical campaign sourcebooks were better in this point (vikings, romans, celts, etc).

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 20 Jul 2012 17:01:04
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14387 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  17:13:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Yup - it was a sub-setting of Ravenloft, and didn't get nearly enough love. I have always been fascinated by the idea of running a steampunk/gothic version of Earth, and if I ever did, I would definitely base it all on that source (and a handful of other games/systems - like Deadlands - and a score of movies/TV shows).

The premise, of course, would be that Constantinople never fell, so the 'Dark Ages' never happened. See the clever novel Byzantium for a great spin on that.

And since we are getting sidetracked, I had better ask a question: I recently came across the reference to yaddleskwee (pickled beholder brains) - a favorite of fire giants - and I was wondering, what other 'gross'* types of food are considered delicacies amongst different human groups of the Realms? Any notable ones amongst demi-humans or humanoids?

*I realize 'gross' is relative, so I guess by north-American standards (since thats where both Ed and I are from). You wouldn't catch me eating haggis, either.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jul 2012 17:14:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 66 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000