Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  23:21:10  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by dravenloft

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all.
Lady Shadowflame, I can confirm that Ed's "gold-flecked elven eyes" have genuine little spots of golden hue that gleam/shine/glint differently than the rest of the eye - - so, yes, very much as if the elf has tiny stars in their eyes.
I can also confirm (considering the preceding posts made in this thread) that Ed's elves, male and female, have the following additional "hot" erogenous zones: the backs of the knees, the palms of the hands, and the tips of the ears.
Just serving forth requested lore . . .
love to all,
THO

Tips of the ears … isn't that actually referenced in one of the novels? Either Elaine's or Ed's? Something like "… you can bring an elven male to the height of passion by rubbing the tips of his ears"? Or am I thinking of a compete other setting?

I believe it was in Dream Spheres; Danilo used that trick on Arilyn.

I thought it was Silver Shadows, actually.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll check up on that now.

Edit: No, Wooly's right. It was Dream Spheres. I've got the reference in a .doc file.

Might be that Danilo says it in that one, I can't say as I've never read or heard of that one. As I recall it was a woman who says it in whatever I read, might very well be in Silver Shadows, too.

Oh darn, now i've just got to reread all my Ed and Elaine books and short stories till I find it. Torture.

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  01:38:09  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message
quote:

Might be that Danilo says it in that one, I can't say as I've never read or heard of that one. As I recall it was a woman who says it in whatever I read, might very well be in Silver Shadows, too.

Oh darn, now i've just got to reread all my Ed and Elaine books and short stories till I find it. Torture.

The particular line you're thinking of and semi-quoted before was said by Storm Silverhand, in Stormlight.
One of many very entertaining bits in that book, of course.

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  02:58:28  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Shadowflame

quote:

The particular line you're thinking of and semi-quoted before was said by Storm Silverhand, in Stormlight.
One of many very entertaining bits in that book, of course.

Ah! Yes, thank you.

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  05:38:29  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I have several questions about the Moondeep Sea as I'm working on developing this area for a campaign. Is this a saltwater or freshwater body? What kind of geography makes up the area, one huge cavern, a series of linked caverns etc? Would there be any info on aquatic life or plants you could share regarding the area? Is this a large enough sea where underdark races would create and sail on large boats? In Lisa Smedman's novel Storm of the Dead, there are references that the Moondeep is a magical sea and during moonlit hours on the surface, Selune and her Tears can be seen in reflection on the water's surface in the Moondeep. Would there be any more you could tell us about this effect? I'd imagine the local Underdark natives would dislike such a bright light source on an otherwise potentially viable trade route?

Thank you both for everything you do! Definitely looking forward to the upcoming Realms information in the coming weeks. I'm completely stoked! :)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  17:33:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Late tonight, Ed will fall e-silent for his annual drive down to GenCon (and I probably will, too, as I attempt my annual “see if I can sneak down to Indy and see Ed” foray), but he didn’t want to go without tending to some lore replies first. Erendriel Durothil is the first lucky scribe who gets some queries answered!
We begin with this, from back on June 21st: “1. Are there any societies where mages (or any type of arcane spell caster) are treated as if their powers are evil, to the point of those wielding magical powers are either forced into closely watched organizations or outright killed? (This question was sparked by the Circle of Magi in the Dragon Age setting)”
Ed replies:

Arcane-magic-hostile societies in the Realms, yes? Yes, many, but almost all of them small and of local reach rather than large realms (it’s hard to deny yourself something powerful and useful, no matter how much you may fear or detest it, that neighbours have and use daily). From barbarian and orc clans (and the southern, almost-extinct dwarven clans of Halthro and Jhairant) to the land of Murlaum east of Ulgarth, there are societies who shun arcane magic and cast out or slay those who wield it. Very little of this has made it into published Realmslore. Yet.
However, I’m working on this (as well as a host of other Realms things), so eventually, if I live long enough and the publisher says “yes” to this and that and those others, we just might see a few glimpses of this.

So saith Ed. More to come, soon.
Love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  17:46:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! Next Ed tackles this query from Erendriel Durothil: “2. What are some events in which a character can become a chosen of Mystra? How does Mystra choose her chosen? Does she have a set amount of chosen at one time? What would one have to do in order to become a chosen of Mystra?”
Ed replies:

The lovely THO gave you good answers to these back on June 24th, but let me amplify a little:
Mortals are usually going to be unaware of the specific situations in which someone can become a Chosen of Mystra until Mystra Chooses someone. To mortals, it’s almost always going to be “out of the blue,” and her choices may (and have) seemed strange to some. (So a DM can have Mystra in his/her campaign make an offer to ANYONE, from a beholder to a PC adventurer thief who’s never so much as witnessed magic in his life.) However, Mystra doesn’t Choose often, and usually chooses people who do wield arcane magic, and are loners/outcasts/those who’ve seen some hardship, and are intelligent and sensitive. THO was right to tell you that Mystra doesn’t have a “set” number of Chosen. Being Chosen is a hard road that literally wears out most mortals fast, so Mystra has “gone through” a lot of Chosen over the years. A few have been corrupted or turned to suicide, many have collapsed and been gently retired, and a VERY few have doggedly survived, Elminster and the Seven (whom Mystra had a hand in creating, to “make” suitable mortals when she could find so few suitable mortals that had developed by themselves) being most prominent among them.
In general, if a PC seeks to become a Chosen, they never will. Mystra is suspicious of mortals who want to become a Chosen (and of course can possess someone either forcibly or as they sleep, and read their every thought and ambition). She prefers mortals who are reluctant to become a Chosen - - because such individuals have “worked out” better, over the years.
There have been times when deities have wanted to have lots of Chosen, and Mystra among them, but she (the first deity to have Chosen, back in her first incarnation) alone among the gods (that mortals “know,” at least), is FORCED to have Chosen, to divide up her divine essence among mortals. Mystra is unique among the gods in this regard. Other deities may decide to have Chosen as mortal champions or for other reasons, but Mystra MUST have Chosen - - and has a far less “boss to servitor” relationship with her Chosen than is possible for other deities. Her Chosen can, in large and small ways, defy her if they desire to, and survive for longer than, say, A Chosen of Asmodeus or Bane who dared to defy their master. So she chooses her Chosen VERY carefully. Yes, she can strip Chosen of their status and powers, but doing so is something akin to trying to substantially alter, with needle, thread, and knife, a sail that’s in use on a yacht sailing before strong wind, with the sail being the Weave, so it’s not something done casually.
As for specifically have Mystra chooses her Chosen, we know she observes possible candidates secretly, trying to discern their true natures and characters, particularly under stress. She’s looking for those with insight, foresight, kindness, understanding, patience, and a natural “feel” for the Art (arcane magic). But as far as individual specifics and Mystra’s personal decision-making: mysteries to mortals (except, in small glimpses, to some of her most trusted Chosen), and always will be.

Heh. "A little," eh? Ah, Ed, you are a treasure.
Ed was a GoH at OSRCon in Toronto yesterday, and was delighted to finally meet Ken St. Andre (creator of Tunnels & Trolls). He's looking forward to chatting with Ken again at GenCon, and meeting a lot of you, too!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  17:51:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everyone! The flow of Ed replies continues . . .
More recently, Erendriel Durothil asked: “Are there any survivors of House Vyshaan of Aryvandaar? What sort of lore do we know about Aryvandaar other than it was a great Gold Elven kingdom and empire (besides the Crown War lore)? I'm really curious and anxious.”
Ed responds:

Yes, there are survivors of House Vyshaan. However, lore about them and about Aryvandaar is firmly NDA right now, so I can’t say much more. I’ll be checking at GenCon and after with certain folks to see what I can reveal, though . . . so stay tuned. Let me say this much: there are gold elves of the line of Vyshaan alive in the Realms today who know their heritage - - and there are gold elves of the line of Vyshaan alive in the Realms today who do not.

So saith Ed. Heh. Teasing as much as he can without saying all that much at all. That’s our Ed.
Love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  18:04:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed turns now to a June 25th followup (from Erendriel Durothil’s questions) query from Eldacar (that I’ve edited down here): “I'm curious about what would hypothetically result if a Chosen of Mystra (or similar Chosen of other good deities, even though Mystra's Chosen are quite different) were to become ruler of one of those layers [[the Abyssal layers of Occipitus and Gaping Maw]]. Particularly if they became the Prince of Demons per one of the possible endings of Savage Tide. How would Mystra (or the deity in question that has invested a blessing or power in the individual) react?
Would she act to remove the essence from the Chosen, with the Chosen giving up the power willingly? Wait and watch, because this might allow for new power relationships throughout the planes to change? (Having an agent in control of an Abyssal layer could be a good thing, if they can resist the slide into evil and avoid succumbing to the temptation to become the new Demogorgon in more than title.) Or if (as it may well be) the slide into evil is truly inevitable, would she act as she did against Sammaster?
Or would the act of mixing the two "essences" (Mystra's power and Prince of Demons status) create a very messy explosion if/when the individual was unable to contain the energy within themselves, and let the essence return to Mystra as it normally would?”
Ed replies:

Great questions, Eldacar, and as usual, the answers are often “it depends.” On the deity they are Chosen of, how the Chosen rose to that position of rulership (i.e. their intent/motivations and shifts in personal nature/character, if any), and their own personal hardiness/constitution (because yes, they would perish or go mad and probably be slain by demons around them, if they’re too weak to handle the powers and conflicts between the powers they’re attempting to subsume). In most cases, most deities would be horrified and act to strip the Chosen of their Chosen status, deeming them “corrupted” and irrevocably lost, but many of the more scheming deities would see it as an opportunity, and “wait and watch and try to influence.” Even if a slide into evil was seen as inevitable, the result might still be “useful” - - to SOME deities.
How would it work out with Mystra, in a particular situation with a particular Chosen? Up to the DM in that campaign, of course, but we’ve seen in ELMINSTER IN HELL how she reacted in one such circumstance.

So saith Ed. Elucidating Realmslore every day, like the Energizer Bunny of game designers.
Speaking of which: after GenCon, Ed will be attending FanExpo 2012 in Toronto (at the Metro Convention Centre, downtown) Friday June 24, Saturday June 25, and Sunday June 26. Robin Laws and Monte Cook, among others, are fellow gaming guests, and Ed will be running a D&D game on Saturday night, for a lucky few!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  18:17:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, fellow scribes! Ed’s Realmslore replies continue, with a response to this post from Barastir, from June 25th: “Speaking of dragons, in the 2e Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set, specifically in the adventure "The Wyrm Below," there is a mention to temple of a human cult to some "Aumrathar the Greater Dragon." THO, can you provide more details about this, or ask Ed if he has something to add? Sages, was anything else published or revealed about this cult, that I missed?
Was Aumrathar actually a dragon, an archetypical dragon, or a divine manifestation? Was it good, evil or neutral (after all, its cult was hidden, right)? If it was a dragon, to which race/color it belonged to? Was it a manifestation a Bahamut, Tiamat, or other known deity/entity? Was it a he or a she?”
Ed replies:

Aumrathar was an elder male gold dragon to whom something “happened” that his worshippers believe was ascension to divinity (but might have been empowerment by literally stumbling into ancient magic that transformed him, as some sages suggest, or the meddlings of Bahamut, Tiamat, or another draconic deity or dragon-interested god, as yet other sages have postulated).
To put it simply, it seems Aumrathar gained the ability to become any dragon type and age or either gender at will, shapeshifting as often as desired and gaining all powers and abilities of “his” assumed form (except perhaps - - mortals debate this - - not being able to gain the powers of ancient wyrms older than Aumrathar was when he “Changed”), while retaining the powers, memories, and capabilities he had before his Change. Aumrathar became a wanderer, hidden in many forms, visiting other dragons for the apparent aim of making lots of dragon babies and repopulating the Realms with dragons (of all sorts).
Some sages think this is mere meddling, or intended to break the power of human civilizations, while others think some dark deity is behind this, desiring to gain dragons as steeds, attack forces, and long-term servitors. Still others believe Aumrathar is the herald of a new age (or cycle) among dragons, and that this has nothing to do with other beings in the Realms at all (except as they’re inevitably affected by there being more hungry, power- and wealth-seeking dragons around).
Aumrathar’s cult in Myth Drannor is small, controversial, and something many don’t even want to think about, because they need to think about more immediate threats to the status quo.
The truth behind all this? Yet to be revealed, and I’d say up to individual DMs, because I can’t see the published Realms getting to addressing this anytime soon. However, I control not the Realms and see the future but poorly, so snatch up thy proverbial grains of salt and be ready, grasshopper . . . :}

So saith Ed. Venerable sensei of the Realms, who like all of us mere mortals, is getting more venerable by the day.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Aug 2012 18:17:40
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  18:24:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And “hi” yet again!
This time, Ed responds to a Markustay query: “Ed, how would you (or did you) have handled adding 'Blackflame' (from The Five Shires) in Faerûn? I was thinking a Shar connection was obvious, but it doesn't really fit the lore at all. "Darkness without evil" doesn't really shoe-horn well with Realms fluff.”
Ed replies:

I put Blackflame into the Realms as I was designing THE FIVE SHIRES, to try it out. My players weren’t all that amused, as I recall. :}
I left its origins mysterious, but PC investigations pointed at connections to Silvanus and the Balance, to Talos, to Auril, and even to Moander (Entropy never really blossomed in the “home” Realms). Sages scorned all of these as mistaken - - and therein lies the delight of roleplaying; taking literal years of game play to slowly nibble away at underlying mysteries, large and small.
In short, they’re still at it (in the background, behind a lot of other intrigues), and I don’t want to ruin it for them.

So saith Ed. Darn, I’d been keeping very quiet on this one in hopes Ed would let something slip when he answered you, Markustay, but ’twas not to be . . .
Ah, well. Such a metagame assist would have robbed the roleplaying of something, anyway.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  18:57:55  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
In the Realms, where should one go to be most likely to find rakshasa doing their thing*? Thinking casually about it, I can't seem to recall much mention about them (pity, says I) in published realmslore.

*Their thing presumably being eating innocent (and not so innocent) people, suborning kingdoms from within, and generally behaving like a bunch of power-hungry, decadent Bond-villains in fur, so I'm not sure who'd actually want to go somewhere like that...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  20:38:51  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
I have a GenCon related question that I haven't seen asked yet if Ed is still in contact or if THO can respond. Will there be copies of Elminster Enraged available at the con? I am guessing not since there hasn't been any announcements to that effect that I have seen and it's release is still a few weeks away, but I thought I would ask just to be sure.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  21:58:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you for those great answers, THO & Ed.
Hope I make it to Gencon to meet you both.

Rakshasa
There are some Rakshasa we 'dug up' in the old Utter East thread at wotC.

IIRC, most of them were in the Old Empires region. We assumed they came from the southern portion of Kara-Tur, and were 'brought in' (culturally) by the Mar (who we assumed were refugees from fallen Tempat Larang, from the other side of the mountains). This is all homebrew, but based on our findings with official (although not always canonical) lore.

What is completely HB is that I had them pegged as the original rulers of Zakhara, who brought in the dgen (genie-folk) as servants, and were later ousted by them (and they, in-turn, were defeated/subjugated by their own humans slaves). As I said, this part isn't based upon any canon - it was ANCIENT history for the Utter East material we were working on.

Check the Old Empires and Lost Empires books for them, as well as Hordelands/K-T material (they appear in a few 'encounters' tables).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Aug 2012 22:00:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  22:08:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes.
Just me, this time.
Tyrant, Ed doesn't think there will be copies of ELMINSTER ENRAGED at GenCon, but he's prepared to be happily surprised. However, I wouldn't count on it; no one has so much as hinted there will be, to him.
Kajehase, Markustay is right, but I can add: a few rakshasa are lurking in Turmish and the Vilhon (VERY low profiles), a handful surviving in Calimshan (where they've mainly been hunted down and ruthlessly eliminated), an even smaller handful in the cities of Amn (where they never reveal their true natures), some in the Lake of Steam cities, and LOTS of them in the Tashalar.
Ed has always treated them as behind-the-scenes lurking villains who dispense cruelties for sport.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  22:31:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Damn, I had typed 'Vilhon Reach' as well, but then wasn't positive, and didn't want to give bad info so I erased it. I do have some dim memory of something about them there.

Calimshan and Amn are intriguing, though - I hadn't even consider that. Thanks for the info (especially considering the HB material I said above - if the Dgen fled Zakhara for Calimshan, then it makes sense some hidden Rakshasa went along as well).

So THO, you didn't take 'the bait' - if you DO make it to Gencon, will we be aware of it? I know you value your anonymity, but I also love playing detective.

can I search you for clues?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Aug 2012 22:31:57
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  23:15:45  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

can I search you for clues?

*watches the clock, waiting for a response.*

It would take superhuman self-restraint to resist responding to that bait.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  00:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
Thanks for answering THO. Getting the book a little early would've just been an added bonus anyway with everything that we know will be at GenCon, like Ed and the Candlekeep get together.

Kajehase, novel wise the only Rakshasa I have come across was in Dawnbringer and it was a very small part.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  01:15:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You're very welcome, Tyrant, and I only wish I had a more positive response. However, this GenCon is going to be awesome for Realms fans, regardless.
Markustay, of COURSE you can. Your tongue should be your first implement for the search, of course.
(xaeyruudh, a lady must make everyone wait for a LITTLE while. Heightens the anticipation.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  01:57:10  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:

(xaeyruudh, a lady must make everyone wait for a LITTLE while. Heightens the anticipation.

Oh, indeed it does, and our lady never disappoints.

Speaking of the nobles of Waterdeep (pretending that we're seamlessly continuing from the Amcathra question that's probably pages back now) is it possible that your notes contain similar genealogical info for other families? I can make more specific questions later tonight, after dinner (and birthday cake so it might be relatively late) and trying to make sure that the answers aren't already out there somewhere. I thought I'd ask first if there is more that can be told without bumping into cold hard NDAs. Warm things are so much more welcoming, though nearly everything has its place... or so I'm told. I'll stop now.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  02:51:08  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Question:

Can you tell us what has happen to the Saurials around 1479 or is that NDA? Even the location they fled underground?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  05:45:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
In that case, THO, it will need to be a BCS. I'm nothing if not thorough.

Tried to book a flight to Indy today.. that was laughable. Looks like I'm driving (I prefer driving to places, but only when I have company). It also means I have to leave a day earlier.

Regardless, I pulled a lot of strings and called in quite few favors to make this happen for me, because I truly feel if I miss this one, I will be kicking myself the rest of my life.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  06:06:32  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Thanks to Markus and THO for rakshasa answers.

(And I still say they're sadly underused in the Realms. I'm usually not big on the "animal-headed" races, but they're some cool cats.)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  08:36:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

In that case, THO, it will need to be a BCS. I'm nothing if not thorough.

Tried to book a flight to Indy today.. that was laughable. Looks like I'm driving (I prefer driving to places, but only when I have company). It also means I have to leave a day earlier.

Regardless, I pulled a lot of strings and called in quite few favors to make this happen for me, because I truly feel if I miss this one, I will be kicking myself the rest of my life.

I hope you'll make the same effort when I get there next year ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  08:39:02  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:

Thats how I feel.

Alas I don't have the money right now, can't take the days off, and don't want to have to drive to Indy from Dallas.

Viva la Realms!!!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  09:13:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Fortunately (unfortunately?) I am unemployed, which comes in handy sometimes. My problem was money and a car - time I have an infinite amount of (hopefully for a few more years).

And I still made it happen, because it just felt like I had to do this. Dreams don't become realities by themselves - sometimes you have to work at them (and beg everyone you know LOL). I am blessed to have good friends and good family who believe in me, and I hope to come home from Gencon quite a few friends richer.

And NO, I am not destitute, so don't avoid me at Gencon.
I won't ask you for anything - I'll even offer to buy you a drink. Like I said, I called in a LOT of favors (one of the perks of doing favors for others over a lifetime).

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I hope you'll make the same effort when I get there next year ...

-- George Krashos
You are definitely high on my 'must meet' list, George. Your passion for the Realms shows in everything you do.

And who knows? If we are lucky maybe this time next year Hasbro will foot the bill for both us?

We can dream, can't we?

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Aug 2012 09:22:50
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  02:36:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Hehe. I've done a lot of work free for WotC/Hasbro for the better part of a decade. If I did it for anything resembling recompense, I'd have walked away years ago! Who knows, one day my author copies of GHotR might even turn up in the post ...

And yes, am pushing hard for my 2013 GEN-CON trip to go from probably to definitely. Fortunately I have a wife who indulges my indulgences.

And given that this is Ed's thread, I'd just like you all to do your best to bask in the glory that is just being in his general vicinity at the Con. The man can barely move 5-feet without being stopped by the famous and no so, ALWAYS has time for everyone who wants a chat (but please, don't talk to him about your 30th level phase doppleganger elf troll Chosen of Umberlee spellfire wielding character - the man has the patience of a saint, but that only stretches so far ...) and is full of wit and good humour. The man has charisma with a capital "Wow". Marvel at it in action on the biggest RPG stage there is. Oh, and if he disappears at odd moments, relax in knowing that he's ensconced in secret meetings with companies/publishers, likely three feet away from you behind a secret partition.

Enjoy all, I'm mighty jealous. Ed, make it a great one as always! Oh, and THO, if you make a secret appearance (which I suspect you will as you usually say that you CAN'T go to Cons and haven't said a word this year) ... well, it'll be a secret. Hehe.

-- George Krashos
*who has to find a way to watch the WotC keynote at work in a busy legal office starting at 8.30am on Friday morning*

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 14 Aug 2012 02:39:39
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  02:44:21  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Sage, in response to this: "What... no "down south" euphemisms ever come into play in the Realms?"

I must reply: There IS a poem by the Waterdhavian courtesan "Kitten" which contains these lines:

"Betimes I've sung praises of the southerly-roving tongue
Loudly, lord, to say nothing of lewdly
But having oft in love been deep-stung
I choose now my tonguelashers more shrewdly

(Yes, Ed writes poems and lyrics of the Realms all the time. And sings them, if you catch him in the mood.)
[[And yes, that WAS a straight line, folks. We're here all tenday, try the roast beast . . .]]
love,
THO

Isn't Kitten a Lord Of Waterdeep? I was reading Eric Boyds Waterdeep: City of Spendors and she is mentioned as a Lord. Friends with Mirt (Of course!)!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  02:50:55  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Isn't Kitten a Lord Of Waterdeep?

Yup! Of course, that doesn't stop her from... anything.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  02:59:09  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:

Question: (Inspired by the current train-of-though) Are their any elves known as 'Adamantium Elves'?
Funny thing... I thought it could make a reference to the Drow, especially as a jest, e.g.:
- ...and a Copper Elf, too!
- No moldy "Wood Elf" jokes? You clearly don't think high about them.
- (not-really-trying-too-hard-to-hide drow) Oh, come on, that's way too easy - and besides, could we have at least some consistency? So let it be Gold, Silver, Copper... Mithral... Adamantine... uh... Glassteel?
- (surface elf) ...!

[/offtopic]

Oh, wise Ed and enigmatic THO!
I noticed that Realmslore had lots of small references to jesters here and there*, but nothing was said on this subject at length. Could this chasm be bridged?

* Jester's Green; Jester suits from Aurora; festhall having parties "with jesters and minstrels" (Volo's Guide to the North), references to court jesters (...to Cormyr), jester doll head as a weapon ornament (Elfsong), a jester from Procampur (City of Ravens Bluff), etc.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 14 Aug 2012 03:02:22
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  05:28:42  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
what about the halfling and gnome erogenous spots or is that just limited to elves???

and speaking of elves, how would the avariel pull doing that off in flight???

and more importantly will teh avariel be returning in 5e????

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 14 Aug 2012 05:29:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000