Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  04:10:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Sage, in response to this: "What... no "down south" euphemisms ever come into play in the Realms?"

I must reply: There IS a poem by the Waterdhavian courtesan "Kitten" which contains these lines:

"Betimes I've sung praises of the southerly-roving tongue
Loudly, lord, to say nothing of lewdly
But having oft in love been deep-stung
I choose now my tonguelashers more shrewdly

(Yes, Ed writes poems and lyrics of the Realms all the time. And sings them, if you catch him in the mood.)
[[And yes, that WAS a straight line, folks. We're here all tenday, try the roast beast . . .]]
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  04:37:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I don't think visiting Waterdeep will ever again be the same for my group. [Any chance you could tell me where this poem might often be recited in the City of Splendors?]

My thanks, Lady Hooded One.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  05:05:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I don't think visiting Waterdeep will ever again be the same for my group. [Any chance you could tell me where this poem might often be recited in the City of Splendors?]

Wherever Kitten is.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  05:40:06  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

"Betimes I've sung praises of the southerly-roving tongue
Loudly, lord, to say nothing of lewdly
But having oft in love been deep-stung
I choose now my tonguelashers more shrewdly
Would that I had read this before game tonight, I'd have used it for sure on my two male players! The Heartland reference too.

Ah well, I can always try to have their characters seduced next week. Thank you THO for sharing.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  09:07:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Wherever Kitten is.

I'd expect only the Lady Hooded One knows...

Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  21:48:06  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
Has Ed ever regretted selling his creation?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  21:57:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Well, Sage, if the time is the 1350s to 1370s, the place in Waterdeep you'll most often hear that ditty (and many other verses, most of them similarly bawdy) is a womens' (well, females, because "shes" of the elves, half-elves, halflings, dwarves, gnomes, and some other races are among the regular patrons) dining and drinking club known as THE LACE HARP, which meets in rentable upper rooms in Castle Ward, on the third floor of Hammarak's Fine Laces And Adornments, a shop that sells, alters, and adorns fine feminine garments. It's the third building west of Tchozal's Race, on the south side of Calamastyr Lane. Yes, Kitten is a member.

Ed tells me:
The Lace Harp becomes a crossdressing club dominated by prissy noble and wannabe-noble men by the late 1370s, and although Kitten's poem is still heard uttered there occasionally, it is heard more often in the 1380s and 1390s at The Blue Baldric, a nightclub that doubles as a cosmetics and "pampering" (offering scented baths with wine served to those being bathed, more than anything else) shop by day. The Baldric is the middle building of south front Bazaar Street, in the block bounded by Bazaar Street, The Street of the Sword, Lamp Street, and Warriors' Way, in Castle Ward.

So there you have it!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  22:03:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again all!
This just in!

Ed's good friend and cohort in literary machinations Gabrielle Harbowy, whom Ed calls "a superb editor whom sf powerhouse pubishers should really pay more attention to," is featuring three contributors to WHEN THE VILLAIN COMES HOME (yes, it's out, and contains stories by quite a few names who should be familiar to scribes here, and more names you should get familiar with!) on her blog.
To whit, Gregory Wilson (one of the nicest men I've ever "met" from being in a panel audience), Ed, and Gabrielle herself.
Check it out at:
http://www.gabrielle-edits.com/2012/08/09/meet-villains-3

If you like to read good stories, you really should get WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME and WHEN THE VILLAIN COMES HOME. Two anthologies full of stories that are all "good" or better, sometimes MUCH better. I keep my HERO by the bedside, and re-read favorites quite often.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  23:44:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

(snip) womens' (well, females, because "shes" of the elves, half-elves, halflings, dwarves, gnomes, and some other races are among the regular patrons)(snip)

This brings to mind a question... For humans, the different genders have a variety of names other than just male or female. Lad, lass, girl, boy, man, maiden, woman, etc... And some of these vary by age, as well -- a boy grows into a man, a crone was once a maiden but is now an old woman, etc. What about some of the other dominant races of the Realms? Do elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, orcs, or dragons have their own different words for genders and gender/age combinations? And what about generic, age-related terms, like elderly, teenager, near-dead (my dad's joking term for elderly folks), child, etc?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  02:14:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
My thanks, as always Lady Hooded One.
quote:

... the place in Waterdeep you'll most often hear that ditty (and many other verses, most of them similarly bawdy) ...
While I don't expect that either you or Ed could reproduce these verses here for my sake, I am curious about any sample titles of similar dittys that Ed could perhaps provide for me?
quote:
... The Lace Harp becomes a crossdressing club dominated by prissy noble and wannabe-noble men by the late 1370s ...
Interesting. Just how well established are these crossdressing clubs in other Realms locales? Say, Suzail, or Ordulin, for example?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  09:12:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Why Sage, you seem to have quite a bit of interest in that topic.

And this from a guy who dressed as Frankenfurter to go to the the Eigth street Playhouse (the birthplace of Rocky Horror) every saturday night for the midnight show.

And yes, lingerie does make you feel sexy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  16:06:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Funny. Ed's DMing often makes me shiver. With antici . . . . . pation.

How 'bout that?
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 10 Aug 2012 16:06:57
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  16:18:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Why Sage, you seem to have quite a bit of interest in that topic.
Hehe.

Actually, this whole side-discussion about Kitten's bardic exploits in Waterdeep have suggested to me some rather intriguing twists in a portion of the campaign I'm planning for next month. The crossdressing establishment is just the kind of unexpected twist I'd like to throw at my players.
quote:

I can admit to having some similarly inclined knowledge about this kind of experience.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  16:51:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I recently provided much amusement to my wife and a female friend, by discussing lingerie. I was speaking on how I can't really identify some lingerie (I've no idea what the difference between a negligee and a teddy is, for example, I just know I like all those little lacy things), and how I tend to think of lingerie as gift wrap. They were nearly in tears from my discussion of the topic.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  19:15:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Yesterday, while searching for something completely unrelated (damn you, internet!) I happen to get 'stuck' on the Tropes site. As I am sure many of you know, that site is trap - I probably wasted a good four hours reading through stuff. Entertaining, yes... but I had more important things I needed to get done.

ANYHOW... I happen upon the Pathfinder portion of the site (extremely enlightening - I know so little about that setting), and under the "Everyone is Bi" category I noted that all PF/Golarion iconics are considered Bi, unless otherwise noted. I was in awe of the progressive thinking.

This relates to the current topic here (men dressing/acting like women), and I 'know' (as in, 'not in person' but 'heard it through the grapevine') that Ed's games were much more 'adult' then what we see presented in the published Realms (I also just finished book 2 of Fire & Ice which also has a very 'no-holds-barred' approach to fantasy). So here is my question, to both THO and Ed - do you sometimes wish you had the more liberal ability to show the 'grittier' side of the Realms, like in those two settings I just mentioned? Both TSR and Hasbro did/do a lot of hand-tying in this regard, and I was wondering just how many stories Ed (and other authors) would love to tell, but can't?

In other words, are so many folks folks getting the wrong impression of the Realms simply because they aren't seeing the whole picture?

(and yes, I realize this question comes at a very bad time, and mentioning another company was probably bad form right now, but I am SO intrigued by the Realms that 'could be', if given half a chance).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Aug 2012 19:17:49
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  19:26:36  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message
Fifty shades of forgotten realms

Joke's aside that is a good question THO are you able to gives us a taste of uncensored realms?

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  19:41:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
WOW

I was actually thinking of starting a topic with that name just two days ago, but it had nothing to do with this (well... almost nothing... it had to do with morality and FR characterizations). I thought better of it - its one of those 'hot topics' and right now we don't need that kind of BS.

Really I was just going to have it BE Fifty Shades of Grey - figure the name alone would get everyone to read the topic.

Anyhow, the idea was to compare 2-dimensional, B&W characterizations to the more modern 'shades of grey' way that characters in various genre are portrayed nowadays. The premise is that 'good & evil' are highly subjective. once again, it would have been a hot button I'd rather not press at this time (and yet, I asked the above question... silly me).

*grammatical edit

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Aug 2012 20:37:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  19:55:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
50 Shades of Gray Richardson? Did I miss something?!?

Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  23:07:05  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message
Faerun's elves have some interesting and distinct traits.

I have to ask Ed, as the man behind the world, how he'd actually envision the 'gold-flecked eyes' that tend to be sported by moon elves. Just the prosaic human spiky ring of lighter colour in the eyes, or genuine little spots of golden colour, like said elf has tiny stars in their eyes?

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  01:06:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Lady Shadowflame, I can confirm that Ed's "gold-flecked elven eyes" have genuine little spots of golden hue that gleam/shine/glint differently than the rest of the eye - - so, yes, very much as if the elf has tiny stars in their eyes.
I can also confirm (considering the preceding posts made in this thread) that Ed's elves, male and female, have the following additional "hot" erogenous zones: the backs of the knees, the palms of the hands, and the tips of the ears.
Just serving forth requested lore . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  01:12:58  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all.
Lady Shadowflame, I can confirm that Ed's "gold-flecked elven eyes" have genuine little spots of golden hue that gleam/shine/glint differently than the rest of the eye - - so, yes, very much as if the elf has tiny stars in their eyes.
I can also confirm (considering the preceding posts made in this thread) that Ed's elves, male and female, have the following additional "hot" erogenous zones: the backs of the knees, the palms of the hands, and the tips of the ears.
love to all,

THO

what about the halflings erogenous zones???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 11 Aug 2012 01:13:19
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  01:57:29  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all.
love to all,
THO

Thank you very much for that swift confirmation.

Regarding the ears thing, I wonder if it could be confirmed, the viability/actual presence among any elves of an item I came up with and attributed to one of the more... amorously-inclined drow Houses; eartip paint. I attributed to them a scented - and flavoured - paint of a gold-ish colour as a striking highlight, that could be, er... removed later in an evening by a companion.
Pre-existing thing? Or simply viable?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  03:10:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

So here is my question, to both THO and Ed - do you sometimes wish you had the more liberal ability to show the 'grittier' side of the Realms, like in those two settings I just mentioned? Both TSR and Hasbro did/do a lot of hand-tying in this regard, and I was wondering just how many stories Ed (and other authors) would love to tell, but can't?
As an addendum to this, specifically, since we know that in the past, TSR and Wizards have had some reservations about publishing Ed's material on religious rituals and practices, would Ed also include having more freedom to actively publish this kind of info via the liberalised version Markus speaks of above?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  03:11:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

quote:

Hello again, all.
love to all,

THO

what about the halflings erogenous zones???

And gnomes as well, for that matter? This could prove to be useful info for a gnomish couple that I have in my campaign currently.

Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  03:21:18  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all.
love to all,
THO

Tips of the ears … isn't that actually referenced in one of the novels? Either Elaine's or Ed's? Something like "… you can bring an elven male to the height of passion by rubbing the tips of his ears"? Or am I thinking of a compete other setting?

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  03:34:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Lady Shadowflame, Ed does indeed have flavored (and of course coloured) eartip paint in the "home" Realms campaign. Though it's painted on, it's actually a water/saliva soluble vegetable-sap gel.
Intended for removal during foreplay (or fiveplay, or . . .)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  04:33:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dravenloft

quote:

Hello again, all.
love to all,
THO

Tips of the ears … isn't that actually referenced in one of the novels? Either Elaine's or Ed's? Something like "… you can bring an elven male to the height of passion by rubbing the tips of his ears"? Or am I thinking of a compete other setting?

I believe it was in Dream Spheres; Danilo used that trick on Arilyn.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  05:10:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by dravenloft

quote:

Hello again, all.
love to all,
THO

I believe it was in Dream Spheres; Danilo used that trick on Arilyn.

I thought it was Silver Shadows, actually.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll check up on that now.

Edit: No, Wooly's right. It was Dream Spheres. I've got the reference in a .doc file.

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Aug 2012 05:15:02
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  06:43:42  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message
It's in Erik Scott de Bie's 'Depths of Madness', Elaine Cunningham's 'The Dream Spheres', and by Ed both 'Elminster in Myth Drannor' and 'Stormlight.'

Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  22:23:43  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message
It rather makes "shaking hands with an elf" sound like a wonderful euphemism for something.

I've recently been wondering something on a related topic; are there any known particular courtship traditions for elves? In particular, winged elves?

One of my characters is a winged elf girl who's trying to deal with a rather clumsy young human noble in the party, who's fallen in love with her. My main curiosity is what sort of behaviour and so on she would expect from him, if he's trying to court her. (She is still getting to grips with a lot of the subtleties of non-avariel culture, and thus gets stymied by things like this.)

Thanking you hopefully in advance.

"Why do any of us get up in the morning? Why, for the joy and fun the day might bring us, if we're awake to see it! Up, then, and find ye fun!" - Elminster of Shadowdale

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
The Soulforged will come into light~" - Blind Guardian, "The Soulforged"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000