Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  20:09:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I've just received an e-mail from Ed that touches on some current queries, so here we go...

Markustay, Elminster was most interested in Faerunian magic items and non-magical valuables (deeds, signet rings, etc.) that were hidden inside some of the stuffed and mounted rare/extinct beasties (would-be searchers: leave the beasties be; El has found what he sought, so all the loot is gone, now).
And no, he's never borrowed Merlin's chromed skullcap. Until his recent demise, Nicol Williamson was likely using it as an ashtray. ;}

Brimstone: re. Elminster: Night At The Museum: right on! I'd watch that in a heartbeat, and I believe such a franchise, given good writing, could give us at least three good movies before the inevitable slide into mediocrity . . .

Rhewtani: Ed will of course have to give you a proper reply, but here's a start: Vangey COULD use Giogi as a decoy that early on, but it's unlikely he would (because Cat is no fool, for one thing); Vangerdahast is far more likely to use one noble as a decoy, then another, and then another, and so on, switching nobles often. It's less likely to be detected and gives him a stable of influenced nobles whom he might be able to fool into thinking they have a "special" status in the eyes of the Crown. Giogi makes a superb decoy, yes, but would be one of several, to my way of thinking...

And then we come to Hulburg, and its trade with Cormyr.
Imports from the Forest Kingdom: textiles and "current fashion" clothing, scents, medicines, oils, fine wines, tools, and leatherwear (belts, baldrics, pouches, and boots).
Exports to the Forest Kingdom: forgebars of smelted metals (which can be mined in the Moonsea North more cheaply and in purer form than the deposits still remaining and easily accessed in Cormyr, given centuries of mining and local drow population changes). Other Moonsea cities also produce tin and bulk furs (which could be shipped to Cormyr through Hulburg).

And there we have it. Small doses of daily Realmslore for everyone.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 19 Jul 2012 20:18:30
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  20:45:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Great replies!

So Elminster isn't the same person as Merlin? I figured he was such a meddler, why stop at one world?

Did he ever meet him? El is old enough, and if the Earth he visits is the same as the one in the Gothic Earth Gazeteer (which would make sense - that is the canon D&D Earth), then Merlin did/does indeed exist there. Whether he is still around or not shouldn't really matter - both gentlemen should be able to travel through time, and there was still some overlap even if they couldn't (about 300 years or so).

Or, has Merlin ever visited the Realms? I know I asked you once before if any famous personages from Earth ever visited the Realms, but I don't think I ever got a response (other then maybe the infamous mysterious "oh, YES....")

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jul 2012 20:46:35
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  16:37:19  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Markustay, excuse me, but what is the Gothic Earth Gazetteer?
Still in print, published when and by who?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  16:50:50  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Markustay, excuse me, but what is the Gothic Earth Gazetteer?
Still in print, published when and by who?
Thanks!

The Gothic Earth Gazeteer is one book of the Masque of the Red Death line of TSR / AD&D / Ravenloft products, in a less magic rich setting in Earth, in which the classical monsters showed up (Dracula, Frankenstein monster, etc.), instead of inspirated copies that avoided copyright issues. It was set on 18th century Earth, IIRC.

Edit: It was a wonderful Earth-based game accessory, but Merlin and other Earth-related characters, settings and respective stats were released in 1e and 3e Deities and Demigods and 1e and 2e Legends & Lore, even if maps and settings weren't always available. Maybe the 2e historical campaign sourcebooks were better in this point (vikings, romans, celts, etc).

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 20 Jul 2012 17:01:04
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  17:13:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Yup - it was a sub-setting of Ravenloft, and didn't get nearly enough love. I have always been fascinated by the idea of running a steampunk/gothic version of Earth, and if I ever did, I would definitely base it all on that source (and a handful of other games/systems - like Deadlands - and a score of movies/TV shows).

The premise, of course, would be that Constantinople never fell, so the 'Dark Ages' never happened. See the clever novel Byzantium for a great spin on that.

And since we are getting sidetracked, I had better ask a question: I recently came across the reference to yaddleskwee (pickled beholder brains) - a favorite of fire giants - and I was wondering, what other 'gross'* types of food are considered delicacies amongst different human groups of the Realms? Any notable ones amongst demi-humans or humanoids?

*I realize 'gross' is relative, so I guess by north-American standards (since thats where both Ed and I are from). You wouldn't catch me eating haggis, either.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jul 2012 17:14:35
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  17:42:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, I can think of two things off the top of my head (from Ed's unpublished Realmslore), that halflings and gnomes regarded as delicacies: "thalimvur," which is maggots fried in maple syrup or maple sap . . . and "bhaerulb," which is mealworms-and-onions (or, in a pinch, mealworms-and-leeks) curry.
Yum!
love,
THO
P.S. And of course, hobgoblins and "royal" orcs loved such things as halfling brains stewed in the skulls of their owners, and the like. A Calishite delicacy: vipers' tongues (I can imagine you'd need to gather a LOT of snakes to yield proper portions for most diners...)
"Different than the PCs" eating habits is one way Ed often underscores "you're not in Kansas anymore" for players new to "acting roleplaying."

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Jul 2012 17:47:24
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  20:05:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
In my humanoid town, the Inn served 'Elf Fingers'. Narrow (pork) sausages brined for several days (to the point of going rancid) in 'sweetwater' (usually mead, salt, and a chopped onion). When prepared properly, the cook would place almond slices for the fingernails.

My players were not amused.

Thanks for that awesome response, THO.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jul 2012 20:28:28
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  03:46:55  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I didn't notice any mention of it here at the Keep, so...
A day or two back, Wizards put Ed's 2011 Spin A Yarn story, "Jantharl's Surprising Journey," up on their website. Free 8 MB PDF download, not behind the paywall. As long and sprawling as every one of these has to be to incorporate everything suggested by the audience, but great fun nonetheless. Thumbs up, and thanks, Ed!
BB

here's the link:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfic/20120719

Edited by - Blueblade on 21 Jul 2012 03:49:19
Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  15:03:52  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

In my humanoid town, the Inn served 'Elf Fingers'. Narrow (pork) sausages brined for several days (to the point of going rancid) in 'sweetwater' (usually mead, salt, and a chopped onion). When prepared properly, the cook would place almond slices for the fingernails.

My players were not amused.

Thanks for that awesome response, THO.

Eeeew. I'm glad I've already had lunch.

Though now we're on foody topics, I'm sort of curious; are there any previously little-mentioned regional or local specialities/delicacies around Waterdeep? I've set a nice little tavern/inn up there for my friends and me to use in our games, and while I've got a decent menu I'd be interested to know what could be added to it, and for what prices.

Also, is it reasonable to have raw fish (the way elves seem to like it) available in a Waterdhavian tavern that falls into the region of "decent and good quality, but not high-end"? This place is my pride and joy (or one of them ) and I want to improve it if I can.

(Also also, anything The Sage can provide re: music, as I saw a few pages back, would be awesome. I love the Realmsian songs I've found so far.)

"Why do any of us get up in the morning? Why, for the joy and fun the day might bring us, if we're awake to see it! Up, then, and find ye fun!" - Elminster of Shadowdale

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
The Soulforged will come into light~" - Blind Guardian, "The Soulforged"
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  17:53:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Cassie, your timing is superb! Ed was at work on something not too far afield from the subject of your queries, and happily consented to whip up some swift answers:

Waterdeep is a cosmopolitan crossroads, with quite a few wealthy inhabitants, so almost every practical and good-tasting culinary dish or knack or new wrinkle tends to get adopted by someone, and persist somewhere in the city.
Local delicacies tend to have either largely died out over the years as the city has grown and stocks have been depleted (e.g. eel pie, gull pie, and the just-as-revolting-as-it-sounds fish sausage) or to be tavern and lower-class daily staples enjoyed by many, but celebrated by few.
These latter include:
• “melverfew,” a dish of diced eels, fleshy dark mushrooms, flounder, and harbor catish, simmered in oxen-and-onion gravy until everything is soft. All bones are then strained out, and stale bread is shredded and then stirred in, with a handful of grapes or gooseberries (or in winter, or whenever no grapes can be had) raisins added and cooked soft. Typically this is very cheap: 1 cp for a large bowl, sometimes 1 cp for a bowl AND a mug of small beer.
• Whelks in butter (the yellow-brown-shelled edible marine snails still plentiful along the shore of the Sea of Swords from about Port Llast down to Baldur’s Gate; these are unshelled by shattering their shells with a wooden peg or maul, dropping them in water (the shell fragments rise or float, and can be skimmed off, then steamed or boiled in water or old soap leavings, then drained and served in a dish with melted butter and a garnish of fresh parsley and/or chives). This is a dish children can prepare, and tends to go for 1 to 3 cp a platter, depending on the size of the platter and the hauteur of the establishment.
• Tharval-and-dleem (tharval are hand-length or smaller, silver, smelt-like fish much used for bait, or mashed into a paste and eaten on toast as many enjoy real-world sardines or kippers, their bones being so small and soft that they can readily be chewed and eaten without discomfort; dleem is a olive-green, stringy seaweed that grows in starfish-shaped clumps, partly clinging to rocks and partly “adrift” in the passing water; if dleem is boiled long and hard, it looses its tough, chewy consistency AND takes on the flavor of whatever it was boiled with, and so is used to bulk up many soups, stews, and other dishes; if mated with mashed tharval, the result has an incredibly rich, “full” taste and texture, so diners feel even ravenous hunger has been thoroughly sated). This is low-end to shopkeeper-class fare, and a daily staple at 3 cp a dish. Garnished with a few oysters and redubbed “Harbor Favor” or “Harbor Fancy,” it goes for 1 sp in middling to higher end establishments, for a generous dish plus handrolls of bread and usually a wedge of sharp cheese to provide a contrasting taste.
• Sarrulk Stag (Imbram Sarrulk was a glutton of astonishing obesity who died of a surfeit of boar, suffering a fatal rupture after singlemouthedly devouring no less than five whole spit-roasted boar back in 1312 DR; he is credited with devising this recipe, which took High Forest venison and divers rodents [city rats and mice], oxen, old mules, and whatever other handy cheap meat could be had, marinating them for two days and nights and then roasting them, all in the recipe’s long list of herbs and sauces, plus drippings and beer - - and somehow making it all taste like the venison; so only nobles and the very wealthy ever have actual stag in their Sarrulk Stag, but everyone can dine hearty . . . hopefully not quite as heart as Sarrulk did). The time needed for preparation and the popularity have always made this stew pricey, so a bowl, garnished with fresh greens, typically costs 2 sp in a cheap eatery, and climbs up to 8 sp in a haughty club (with most places charging 4 sp or so). Outside the city, cut these prices in half.

Yes, it’s reasonable to have raw fish (never served whole, but always filleted/deboned and washed in fresh water that’s been “minted” with a few sprigs of fresh mint) available in a decent, respectable “middling” tavern.
By the way, high-end Sword Coast elven fish fare would include:
• rare delicacies of the seadeeps (giant spearfish, rock reef crab) served raw (but of course “gleaned,” that is: just the flesh, washed in steaming-hot spring water) but with berry- and sherry- and zzar-based “laving sauces” (we might call them “dipping sauces”) on the side.
• Bluehulk (giant tuna) poached in blended wines
And lower-end but respectable Sword Coast elven fish fare would include:
• oysters steamed in beer but served in a cream sauce (dill, leek, chives, but not onions or garlic, because most elven palates find these two overpoweringly strong - - and in fact they are elven “wayfaring staples” for use with rancid/bad food in emergencies, to entirely cover the taste).
• Dlarkult, which is diced small shrimp and crab, simmered in a mixture of melted butter and a light white wine (almost like a real-world risotto)

Hope these tidbits of lore have been of help.
Ed

And there you have it. Largely mouth-watering Realsmlore from the Master.
Think I’ll go prepare something to eat now!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  18:13:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Where I come from, that last one would be called 'scampi' style.

Great lore, except now I'm hungry.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2012 :  02:16:00  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Wow. I second the hunger, but I'll definitely pass on the eel pie, gull pie, and fish sausage. The gleaned spearfish might actually tempt me to try raw fish.

Thank you, and thanks Cassie.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2012 :  14:46:26  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
I'm not Ed, but seeing as I created Ganrahast (well, as anything more than an assurance that Myrmeen was with child), I feel like I can comment on this one:
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam
A couple quick question about Ganrahast. I believe that all the "dahasts" are extremely long-lived descended from Baerable and Alea Dahast. Is this true?
The public story is that yes, this is true. The truth of the truth, well...
quote:
Also, is Ganrahast descended from Vangerdahast and Myrmeen Lahl and how old is he?
Yes, Ganrahast is Mreen and Vangey's son. He was born on the Winter solstice in the Year of Rogue Dragons (1373). He was premature, and born quite late in the year, but that's his birthday. As of 1479, he's 105 or 106, depending on when in the year you're playing, but he doesn't look a day over 60.

Okay, 65, maybe...
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2012 :  15:36:27  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Hey Hoodie,

Can you give us any cool attractions or descriptions of non-labeled buildings
that are in Myth Drannor? I would like more MD please. Have you all been under
Myth Drannor?

Oh, and one for Ed. Is the Vault of Ages within 1 mile of the city proper, and if I bring up some elf clan names, would you be able to
give it the treatment as you did with past elf clans?

Edited by - althen artren on 23 Jul 2012 15:43:42
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2012 :  18:19:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Info from Volo's Guide to The North states that four Illithids slew Alahar khaumfros in Yartar...
quote:
However, he was recently revealed as the leader of the evil Kraken Society. Four illithids walked into the baron's stone hall, and calmly slaughtered Khaumfros for his treachery in Society monetary
dealings.
Obviously you meant "a leader", not 'the', but aside from that, I have a question:

Why were these illithids SO overt? Thats not like their race, and even less like the Kraken Society, that prides itself on secrecy. What gives? They basically gave away their whole operation in the area.

Another question (which actually has more to do with my current research, but far less 'provocative'): I just noted that 'Yartar' is similar to 'Yarlith' - a realm that existed just east of it. However, this town should have fallen out in the Mlembryn Lands (due north of Elember). It appears to me the town may have actually been the 'border' (if such a word has any meaning in The Realms) between the two, and may have even been the furthest NE outpost of Yarlith. Could this town have been founded (or taken over) by them when Yarlith fell?

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Jul 2012 18:21:18
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2012 :  19:34:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Heh. Markustay, re. this:"Info from Volo's Guide to The North states that four Illithids slew Alahar khaumfros in Yartar...
quote:
However, he was recently revealed as the leader of the evil Kraken Society. Four illithids walked into the baron's stone hall, and calmly slaughtered Khaumfros for his treachery in Society monetary dealings.

Obviously you meant "a leader", not 'the', but aside from that, I have a question:

Why were these illithids SO overt? Thats not like their race, and even less like the Kraken Society, that prides itself on secrecy. What gives? They basically gave away their whole operation in the area."

It does sound out-of-character, doesn't it? I thought so, too. We Knights poked around a bit, and came to the conclusion that Khaumfros was framed. As in, those four illithids wanted to very publicly kill him, and did so, and blamed it on the Kraken Society (AND announced that Khaumfros was "the" leader of the society, so that's what the gullible Volo duly reported).
As this is a loose end we Knights haven't finished with (one of many), Ed tells me he won't comment on this. Yet. It's up to us to learn more . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2012 :  22:44:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
I always thought Volo meant Khaumfros was "the" LOCAL leader of the Kraken Society. Never thought that the mind flayers would want to show, intimidate or frame someone, although I recognized it was unusual for them to act so openly.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 23 Jul 2012 22:50:17
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2012 :  01:05:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Okay, thats kinda what I was thinking as well - it was a set-up (although I thought Harpers/others had poised as illithids to give him away, and he really was guilty of the crime).

Either way, I thought something smelled 'fishy' (no pun intended).

Nothing is ever what it seems in the Forgotten Realms.

Thank you for the quick response.

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jul 2012 01:07:37
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2012 :  05:54:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I could swear that Eric picked up this reference and did something with it in CoS: Waterdeep (3E). Maybe in the section on druuth and/or the Unseen ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 24 Jul 2012 05:59:20
Go to Top of Page

Tormtar
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2012 :  09:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Tormtar's Homepage Send Tormtar a Private Message
Just a couple of quick Dales questions for Mr Greenwood if I may? As War Chancellor Ilmeth of Battledale has no heirs or known descendants who would be among the favourites to take over lordship of the dale in the event of his death? Secondly, a character in my campaign plays a priest of Torm and he asked me if there were any shrines dedicated to his deity in the northern or western dales. I can of course make something up myself but I'd be interested to hear an 'official' answer so as to guide and inform!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2012 :  16:16:46  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
There's definitely a shrine to Torm in Mistledale (shrine meaning an altar with a pavilion roof over it and traveling priests who take turns "staffing" it), because I sat in on a Milwaukee-era GenCon charity Realms adventure with Ed as DM, and the shrine was described and featured in the action.
Before its destruction, there was a temple or shrine of Torm (don't know which, but it was bigger than the one in Mistledale) in Tilverton, and I think there's one along the main road running from Sembia to Hillsfar, in Featherdale (don't quote me on that last one, but Ed can clarify).
As you can probably tell, I had a PC who worshipped Torm.
BB
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2012 :  16:19:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I could swear that Eric picked up this reference and did something with it in CoS: Waterdeep (3E). Maybe in the section on druuth and/or the Unseen ...

-- George Krashos

I thought it was in Cloak & Dagger, but I don't have that handy.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  06:37:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Will Ed be picking up the "illuminated" audiobook version of The Privilege of the Sword?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Tormtar
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  08:56:45  Show Profile  Visit Tormtar's Homepage Send Tormtar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

There's definitely a shrine to Torm in Mistledale (shrine meaning an altar with a pavilion roof over it and traveling priests who take turns "staffing" it), because I sat in on a Milwaukee-era GenCon charity Realms adventure with Ed as DM, and the shrine was described and featured in the action.
Before its destruction, there was a temple or shrine of Torm (don't know which, but it was bigger than the one in Mistledale) in Tilverton, and I think there's one along the main road running from Sembia to Hillsfar, in Featherdale (don't quote me on that last one, but Ed can clarify).
As you can probably tell, I had a PC who worshipped Torm.
BB

Thanks Blueblade, I knew of the one in Tilverton but not the others. The one in Mistledale is perfect as my group of PC's are about to enter the dale.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  17:43:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Mistledale Abbey of the Sword info (and location).

You may also want to check out the Stumphill article and accompanying map in CK Compendium IX.

There is also an adventure in Dungeon #100. It also has a map, but lacks any sort of detail.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Jul 2012 17:48:01
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  18:50:04  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Not sure if this has been answered or even partial answered...

But...

We have the Roll of Years which Oghma or Savras gave out. We have the Shar's Roll of Years, where the same years are given different names. Do all gods have their own 'secret' roll of years for their faith, likely more based on prophecies which have to deal with their own faith goals?

Like Tymora's years might have the Year of Great Triumph which foretells a victory of the Church over the Faith of Beshaba... only for Beshaba's roll of years to call it the Year of the Future Revenge or something.

Curious...

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  19:08:39  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed!

A writing instructor of mine instructed us that, when we’re in the midst of writer’s block, to do something I’ve come to term “writing around the character.” That is, write about the mundane elements of a character that won’t go in the story until you find yourself getting back to writing the actual story.

A couple examples of this strategy that she gave include: writing about what’s under your character’s bed and describing what’s in his or her or its closet (if ‘it’ has one).

So I’m curious: what’s under Mirt’s bed? How about Alusair (as a child or teenager) or Awntrus “Black Glove” Malaver?

Also, do you experience writer’s block? I suppose deadlines for multiple projects might provoke a furious rush that does not permit slowdowns of any kind, but for those of us hoping to someday have at least one deadline to contend with any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thank you both for your time and for sharing with us.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  20:20:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
If Ed lived in the marvel universe, and the In-Betweener tried to summon the antithesis of 'Writer's Block' (one of the evil cosmic forces), I think Ed Greenwood would BE it's opposite.

Question: (inspired by the one above) - do you (Ed) actually think about sutff like this - what sort of mundane things your characters might have, what their rooms look like (how tidy they are), what sort of foods they eat, etc? Does that help define the character? So many characters these days (in many genres) are so two-dimensional in this regard; they are all about some specific quality, or power, or ability, and not much else.

For instance, can vampires eat normal food? If they do, how do they eliminate waste - the normal way? Or do they just crap themselves like any normal corpse would?

Yes, these are the bizarre things I think about.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Jul 2012 20:22:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  21:42:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

If Ed lived in the marvel universe, and the In-Betweener tried to summon the antithesis of 'Writer's Block' (one of the evil cosmic forces), I think Ed Greenwood would BE it's opposite.

Question: (inspired by the one above) - do you (Ed) actually think about sutff like this - what sort of mundane things your characters might have, what their rooms look like (how tidy they are), what sort of foods they eat, etc? Does that help define the character? So many characters these days (in many genres) are so two-dimensional in this regard; they are all about some specific quality, or power, or ability, and not much else.

For instance, can vampires eat normal food? If they do, how do they eliminate waste - the normal way? Or do they just crap themselves like any normal corpse would?

Yes, these are the bizarre things I think about.

I think that Ed does think about these things; with the level of detail he puts into world-building, it'd be an odd oversight to not put the same level of detail into the personalities of the world.

As for your question about vampires, I'd say that vampires can eat and drink normally, but it's pointless for them -- they would gain no sustenance from doing so. The flip side of this is that a vampire also wouldn't get drunk or have to worry about poisons.

Most descriptions of vampires have them appearing to function just like they did when they were alive -- some fiction even extends that to the vampire's love lives. Since this would help them blend in with the living, and it is well-established in vampire fiction, I'd have no problem with vampires eating, drinking, or even taking lovers (though they'd not be able to procreate thru non-vampiric means).

I do, however, draw the line at sparkling.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Jul 2012 21:52:56
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  01:57:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

If we go by the early Silver Surfer comics of the late-80's, then the In-Betweener's anti-thesis is Galactus.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000