Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  15:59:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Back on May 8th, createvmind posted this query (page 23 of this thread): “Hello All,
ED in your realms mindseye, would surviving a psionic attack be one of the most common ways for the survivor to manifest or unlock psionic power themselves? Also in your realms, is there anything illithids fear generally, are allergic too, causes them severe pain, discomfort?
I assume that any gathering of undead near illithid community is met with swift force, a whelming of thralls to evict the undead, would this be a general response? Are very powerful undead near illithid community constantly harassed or once a number of thralls are lost will community move itself? I've always wondered if Illithids have developed a certain warrior class to combat undead and constructs in particular.
Thank you”
And Ed now makes reply:

Hi again, createvmind! Here we go . . .

Yes, someone who has latent psionic powers quite often finds them “awakened” after a psionic attack they survive. So (especially among those who have no inkling they have such abilities, and so haven’t been trying to unlock/stimulate them), it is one of the most common ways of “becoming mindful,” as the folk saying puts it. THE most common is being mind-touched by arcane or divine magic (i.e. having a priest try to detect alignment or a lie, or a wizard read thoughts). These gentler mental invasions can still prompt psionic awakenings, and tend to happen more often, overall.

Yes, all illithids have some deep-rooted fears, and the chief one is a fear of going insane. They loathe creatures that are immune or highly resistant to their mind-powers, and beings they regard as possibly mentally stronger than they are. Contact with a powerful insane mind, or with multiple mind-recording or –broadcasting magics at once causes them discomfort ranging up to pain if the thoughts being broadcast are laced with strong emotion.
Any generalization about a race is just that: a generalization that breaks down when applied to individuals. However, in general, mind flayers have what might be glibly described as a “brittle superiority complex.” That is, their confidence in the superiority of their race carries them through life - - and whenever it is shattered, they become enraged because they are frightened, and see any challenge to their “proper and natural, innate” superiority as a threat to their entire race.

When it comes to allergies, we are again speaking in racial generalizations that apply with greater or lesser effectiveness when it comes to individuals, but most illithids are allergic to the weed yellowstrap (a tall grass that grows widely in temperate wilds, such as grasslands throughout the Heartlands) and the herbs vammaerth (a brown lichen with a “nutty, smoky” taste that is usually dried and powdered, but can be added raw, fresh, and whole to soups and stews), borage, and rue (the latter externally as well as internally). In an illithid, these cause nausea and revulsion (strong desire to withdraw), plus debilitatingly painful internal cramps and convulsions if large amounts are ingested. Vammaerth in sufficiently high doses (which can only be masked by very hot, peppery spices) can cause brief dazedness and mental confusion.
In addition, SOME illithids feel intense pain and nausea when in contact with electrum that is charged (i.e. that has lightning or electrical magic “running through it” at the time). This causes them additional damage, destroys their concentration, and makes them want to get away, right now and at all costs.

While any large gathering of undead (i.e. more than a score of zombies, skeletons, or the like, and more than a dozen of more powerful undead) near an illithid community would be met with a “destroy” response if they were noticed, they are not always noticed or considered a threat. This is due to the overweening self-confidence of most mind flayers, and the tendency of many of them to dismiss or belittle the judgment of their fellows (“If *I* deem a threat grave, it is of course grave, but Quxorl’s notion of grave has always been sadly deficient”).
Yes, using thralls or manipulating dupes (such as handy nearby unwitting adventurers) to “deal with” the undead would indeed be a general response. As for your query: “Are very powerful undead near illithid communities constantly harassed or once a number of thralls are lost will community move itself?” . . . the answer must be that Realms standard: it depends. On the nature of the undead, the size and characters of the illithids involved, and why the community is located where it is in the first place (i.e. is it situated in a place or near a resource the illithids will be loath to give up?).
As for this: “I've always wondered if illithids have developed a certain warrior class to combat undead and constructs in particular.”
My answer has to be: no. Rather, individual illithids, as the need arises, have developed experience in dealing with undead and constructs, and in some cases developed this into almost a profession (just as we call a plumber or an electrician, certain illithid individuals become known as good at dealing with such nuisances, and get called upon to do so).

Hope this is of help!
Ed

So saith Ed, dispensing Realmslore daily (I spoke to him briefly late last night and he was happily searching for something he created in 1978, for Wizards, which I take to be a good sign for a brighter Realms future for us all).
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 15 Jul 2012 02:55:02
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  16:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I'm looking for the names and appearances and a few roleplaying details (not stats) of anyone in Waterdeep, circa the 1350s to 1370s, who was known for being someone you could hite to "go down into Undermountain" for you to retrieve or leave things, or explore, the uppermost level around the Yawning Portal shaft.
So a wealthy person could display a trophy from Undermountain and boast about their (false) adventures in getting it when they'd really never been down there, someone could hide a message or stolen item or some such near the shaft and someone else could later retrieve it, and so on.
Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  17:09:47  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

I've always wondered if Illithids have developed a certain warrior class to combat undead and constructs in particular.
Something tells me you may already know about them, but in case you don’t: Illithid Body Tamers (see 3E’s Underdark) might also do the trick in terms of destroying undead and constructs. Impressive warriors, those.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2012 :  07:13:25  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello to THO and Ed!

I just finished reading and enjoying The Six Horned Crowns article in Dragon #413 by Ed and I had a few questions:

1) Could you please tell me in which Ward and on what street(s) Mrayvren’s Superior Castings can be found in Waterdeep?

2) The name for the room on the fifth floor of Mrayvrens’ Bountiful Rest caught my attention. Does “Gryphonshar” mean anything in particular? Is it a name used at other inns in Waterdeep?

3) Will future articles feature Awntrus “Black Glove” Malaver? This character is growing on me and I’m starting to hope WotC will ask you to write a short story featuring this character.

4) Can you shed any light on what Elminster (if it was him) was doing in Waterdeep when he interrupted the private council involving Awntrus and Sparrantar? (I’d thought Elminster was in Cormyr at that time.) Does his presence have anything to do with the comment in Bury Elminster Deep (page 287) about Elminster and Storm both being Lords of Waterdeep?

5) The 7th footnote talks about blood being used to bind gold to iron. Is that…possible? I’ve never heard of anything like that so was just wondering if the idea came from a real-world example. Either way its pretty cool.

Thanks again for a great read. Looking forward to the August installment.

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2012 :  19:43:49  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Are there any survivors of House Vyshaan of Aryvandaar? What sort of lore do we know about Aryvandaar other than it was a great Gold Elven kingdom and empire (besides the Crown War lore)? I'm really curious and anxious.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2012 :  21:17:34  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
I haven't asked a question here in a long time, so here goes.

Ed, can you discuss a sampling of the heretofore undescribed magical beasts (or animals without anything close to an Earth analog) found in Faerun? I'm interested in those that play an important economic or ecological role or are particularly interesting (useful or dangerous) to adventurers. I'm also interested in preferred climate, the area they are found in, and favorite terrain.

If you want to limit it to one region, how about the northern Sword Coast and the North?

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 14 Jul 2012 21:20:07
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2012 :  23:02:43  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

Hope you are both well, I'm LOVING the new Elminster books and all the new characters.

A couple quick question about Ganrahast. I believe that all the "dahasts" are extremely long-lived descended from Baerable and Alea Dahast. Is this true? Also, is Ganrahast descended from Vangerdahast and Myrmeen Lahl and how old is he?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions!

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2012 :  02:53:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Naeryndam, as far as I know we're both fine. Thank you!
And I'm glad you're loving the new characters; Ed tries to stuff his novels full of people, places, and things gamers can use even if they don't enjoy his fiction, but I'm glad you're enjoying the books as much as I am.
I've sent your questions to Ed for proper answers, as I'm not sure what lore about Ganrahast is NDA and "secret" and what is not.

So, in the meantime, I have answers for Jeremy Grenemyer!
Specifically, the five queries posted just a few posts above this one. Heeeeeere's Ed!

1. Mrayvren’s Superior Castings is located on the south/west side of Tower Trail, in Dock Ward. If you have access to the fold-out maps from the 2e “City of Splendors: boxed set, it’s the T-shaped building immediately above/north of Dock Ward feature “50” (Telethar Leatherworks, a tannery). Mrayvren’s is the source of constant hammerings (to free recalcitrant castings from molds), and the tannery reeks, so Tower Trail (which is also where some of the nightsoil wagons are parked when being inspected and hitched up for their next runs) is a good place to avoid if one can.

2. Gryphonshar was the name of a wealthy, successful, ethical, and much-loved Waterdhavian merchant who was a sometime sponsor, patron, and eventually business partner of Haeldrar Mrayvren. Andremon Gryphonsar died in the autumn of 1454 DR, but is remembered with fond nostalgia by many traders, and several rooms and features around Waterdeep have been named for him (all since his death). His six daughters survive him; one (Tlarleene) is an adventurer, one (Alathea) disappeared in 1466 DR, and the other four are bright, strong-willed, rather plain women who have married well or started their own businesses (notably the Brightboots cleaning service, run by Rhavilra Gryphonshar, whose teams clean many lodgings and polish many boots for laboring and shopkeeping Waterdhavians).

3. Future Eye On the Realms articles as in “soon”? No, because I write a year’s worth of them in advance. Do I have future plans for Malaver? You bet! Can I say anything more about them at this time? Not at all. Can I confirm anything will ever come of them? Even less than not at all! :} But boy, would I like to show you more of the Black Glove!

4. It was indeed Elminster. He often uses one of several portals he knows of that link Cormyr and Waterdeep (one of which is seen early in ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER) to move back and forth between the two places (he doesn’t need to cast spells to use them, just know how to traverse them; they operate through their own magic). He was there to meet someone and give them advice, spy on someone else at a particular meeting, and retrieve a certain (non-magical item) he’d stashed in for a Cormyrean who now needed it. On this occasion, it didn’t happen to be because he was there as a Lord (a status even few Lords know about).

5. It’s possible in the Realms. :} Fantasy, remember? Actually, various exotic-creature bloods were historically part of some smiths' (claimed or rumored) alloys and forge-slakes (liquids, usually oils, that hot hammered work was “quenched” in). In the Realms, orcs, dwarves, and gnomes have all used heated mixtures involving the blood of various creatures (legendarily dragons and wyverns, but more often the blood of their foes and of vigorous wild creatures they hunted, such as elk, or fought, such as bear and wolverines) as “bindings” for coatings of one metal with another. These mixtures are collectively known as “cauldron-blood,” and as with cooking, everyone has their own recipes. If you’re a Faerûnian novice at this sort of thing, be aware that very few human smiths and armorers (or forgers who happen to be orcs, dwarves, gnomes, and so on) will surrender such secrets to you willingly, unless they’re dying and desperate to pass such lore on. Alchemists, however, traditionally sell such “thaethar” (forgebrew recipes), and although alchemist-sold thaethar are traditionally disparaged by smiths, those same smiths swift destroy any written ones they acquire, suggesting most thaethar aren’t useless or incorrect.

There you go; more instant Realmslore! Hope this is of help.
Ed

So saith Ed, and there you have it. Adding to the Realms daily, our Ed, which is why it really is the largest and most detailed fantasy setting ever.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 15 Jul 2012 02:57:31
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2012 :  05:59:12  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Thank you very much, THO and Ed! You've both made my day.

Hopefully I can extend the favor to Naeryndam:
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

A couple quick question about Ganrahast. I believe that all the "dahasts" are extremely long-lived descended from Baerable and Alea Dahast. Is this true? Also, is Ganrahast descended from Vangerdahast and Myrmeen Lahl and how old is he?
Hello Naeryndam. According to the Dragon #198 article Cormyr Royale: The Royal Court of the Forest Kingdom by Brian Cortijo, Ganrahast (Ganrion, as a boy) is the son of old Vangey and Myrmeen.

I don't know for sure if Ganrahast and Vangerdahast before him are both descended from Baerauble Etharr. I'd wager yes, but I can't find the quote (on these forums) that talks about it. (My google-fu is weak.)

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 15 Jul 2012 05:59:34
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2012 :  01:13:43  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message
Thanks Jeremy. I thought that might be the case, but I was somewhat surprised at the rather cold and detached way that Ganrahast refers to him in "Bury Elminster Deep".

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2012 :  03:24:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Judging by some of the pre-plague things Vangy was involved with, I very much doubt the boy ever knew his father, and probably bears resentment because of that (once again, a very realistic portrayal of Ed's very human characters).

Question:
Ed, does Elminster ever visit Secomber, or is it too painful for him?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jul 2012 07:52:19
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2012 :  23:13:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, this one I can answer, from play: El does indeed visit Secomber, without apparent remorse/upset. Not often, mind you . . . but then again, Secomber isn't quite the hotbead of sedition/magical misuse/intrigue/slithering evil that some other places in the Realms (that command more of El's attention) are.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  01:50:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Markustay, this one I can answer, from play: El does indeed visit Secomber, without apparent remorse/upset. Not often, mind you . . . but then again, Secomber isn't quite the hotbead of sedition/magical misuse/intrigue/slithering evil that some other places in the Realms (that command more of El's attention) are.
love,
THO

This has piqued my curiosity, somewhat.

Lady Hooded One, could you please share the date and year of Elminster's last visit to Secomber in Ed's home campaign?

I've long been thinking about developing a Secomber-based campaign for my players. But I just haven't been able to find the right way to draw them to the city. The players have had some recent involvement with hunting down "the artifacts of Elminster," so being able to trace his path to Secomber would be helpful.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  03:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
I seem to recall Ed hand-drawing a map of Secomber and giving it to a scribe (used to be active here, double-barreled name, first one beginning with "A," I think) at Phantasm in Fort Wayne, Indiana, a few years back.

Edit: It was Alorin Dawn.
I wonder, Sage, if you contacted him, he might share a scan of Ed's map?

Edited by - Malcolm on 17 Jul 2012 03:27:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  04:21:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Someday I WILL do a map of Athalantar.

I am fascinated by all the 'lost kingdoms' of Faerûn. The deeper you dig, the more 'layers' you begin to see, with tons of overlap.

@Sage - you may be able to find some of the 'lost treasures' amongst the Tree Ghost tribe.

There's also Baldur's Gate and Tethyr - those are the places/peoples where the Athalanteans wound-up. Hmmmmm... wasn't Lhaeo from Tethyr?

Interesting connection....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  21:27:45  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There's also Baldur's Gate and Tethyr - those are the places/peoples where the Athalanteans wound-up. Hmmmmm... wasn't Lhaeo from Tethyr?

Interesting connection....

Hi Markus, where did you come across the link of Athalanteans and Tethyr?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  23:33:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
My favorite issue of Dragon, #228.

quote:
Pg.26, 3rd paragraph...
In the 1120 or so years since the events described in Elminster: The Making of a Mage, the kingdom of Athalantar has completely vanished. Only the elves (and a few confused human legends, mainly told in Secomber) remember it. The Athalantan folk are lost and scattered; some became the Tree Ghost Uthgardt barbarian tribe of the Sword Coast North, and others settled in what became Tethyr and along the Sword Coast where Baldur’s Gate now stands.

Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  05:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
quote:

My favorite issue of Dragon, #228.

quote:
Pg.26, 3rd paragraph...
In the 1120 or so years since the events described in Elminster: The Making of a Mage, the kingdom of Athalantar has completely vanished. Only the elves (and a few confused human legends, mainly told in Secomber) remember it. The Athalantan folk are lost and scattered; some became the Tree Ghost Uthgardt barbarian tribe of the Sword Coast North, and others settled in what became Tethyr and along the Sword Coast where Baldur’s Gate now stands.

Tethyr you say? How very interesting...
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  18:16:35  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
Ed, In more than one of your stories I've read, during interaction with Lheo it's hinted that Elminster has visited our world on a few occassions. That recently caused me to try to imagine El in an aloha shirt and Mickey Mouse ears chewing cotton candy at Disney World. So I've just got to ask, what does the great mage do when he visits us? Where's he like to go? Louvre and Carnegie Hall, or maybe a trip to Jamaica for chicken and a Jimmy Buffet show?

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  18:38:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. According to Ed, Elminster has visited many places. Among his favourites to revisit: the British Museum (the storage facilities and back rooms, not the public galleries), Portmeiron, one of the several long and deep cave complexes, Ed's cottage, the Nahani or another of the wild natural rivers of North America, several of the more haunted and less publicly overrun stately homes of the English Home Counties, the Burning Man festival, and oh, yes, Gencon.
Although I've sent your question on to Ed to see if he has an update for you.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  19:20:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
And I would assume - just like on Toril - he has several aliases he goes by when on other worlds?

Which makes me wonder what he is looking at in those storage areas of the British museums, and why (beyond mere curiosity, of course).

Has he ever gone to a movie? What does he think of them (and television)? I can just imagine him going to see Lord of the Rings...

BTW, thank you and Ed for your response to my last query.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jul 2012 19:22:05
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  22:08:09  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. According to Ed, Elminster has visited many places. Among his favourites to revisit: the British Museum (the storage facilities and back rooms, not the public galleries), Portmeiron, one of the several long and deep cave complexes, Ed's cottage, the Nahani or another of the wild natural rivers of North America, several of the more haunted and less publicly overrun stately homes of the English Home Counties, the Burning Man festival, and oh, yes, Gencon.
Although I've sent your question on to Ed to see if he has an update for you.
love,
THO

Awesome, thanks. Though like Markustay said, that now begs many a question about those museums

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  23:24:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:

Someday I WILL do a map of Athalantar.

You need to hurry...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  02:26:45  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
The British Museum? Was he looking for the Mace of St. Cuthbert?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  04:03:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

I seem to recall Ed hand-drawing a map of Secomber and giving it to a scribe (used to be active here, double-barreled name, first one beginning with "A," I think) at Phantasm in Fort Wayne, Indiana, a few years back.

Edit: It was Alorin Dawn.
I wonder, Sage, if you contacted him, he might share a scan of Ed's map?

Hmmm. Good call. I'll check with Alorin.
quote:

@Sage - you may be able to find some of the 'lost treasures' amongst the Tree Ghost tribe.
I'm hazy on my lore-references this morning. Where's that from?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  04:13:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@Sage - see my response to Mumadar Ibn Huza above.

quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

I thought he was looking for his old skullcap he lost. It protected him from psionic attacks (and looked damn sexy).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  04:16:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Nice reference! I was thinking of that one, myself!

For those scratching their heads: Dragon 100 had an adventure where the PCs wound up in (what was then) modern London, needing to retrieve an artifact -- the Mace of St. Cuthbert -- from the British Museum. It was not the only magical item they had on display, as I recall.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  06:04:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Elminster: Night in the Museum!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  09:08:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

@Sage - see my response to Mumadar Ibn Huza above.
Right, right. I missed that earlier. I'm a little off today.

Interestingly, I'd wonder whether there might be anything more Ed could add to that particular tidbit.

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  19:39:03  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
Ed,

1) How early is it reasonable to assume that Vangerdahast started using Giogi Wyvernspur as a decoy for Azoun IV? It happens in Curse of the Azure Bonds, but I'm looking to see how reasonable a trick it may be in 1351.

2) Any further information you could share on Dasmer, Jlanesse, or Baskorm Cormaeril?

3) How much trade (if any) and of what sort would be likely to take place between the Moonsea cities (specifically Hulburg) and Cormyr?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000