Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  13:12:42  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And now the scene from the beginning of A Knight's Tale jumps to mind - "We will... we will.. ROCK YOU!" Good stuff... and a little sad, now...

That particular song wasn't in the movie. (...)

Yes, it was. In one of the jousting sequences... About elves polymorphing into dragons, well, 4th level spells wouldn't make them GREATER dragons, and they would not have all the powers of a dragon (and I think it would be hard to fool Myth Drannan humans easily), so a much more powerful spell would be needed.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 28 Jun 2012 19:45:19
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  19:15:43  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
"[He has devised a method of mating crawling claws and some spiders with undead human eyeballs...]
Do these critters have names that can be shared yet?"

No. Not yet. Ed can't yet say. He did add: "Sorry." (Which of course hints at future publication.) "Scuttling Eyes" is what some NPCs called them when we Knights encountered them, but I'm not sure if that's the official name, or local slang.

I would note that there's an interesting monster in CM8 - The Endless Stair (written by Ed) called a "guardian hand" with an eyeball in the palm. It can't be the same monster (the creator has to sacrifice a hand, it levitates, it casts spells, etc.), but it's a cool concept.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2012 :  04:29:43  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I was re-reading my copy of Elminster in Myth Drannor and had a few questions. Llombaerth Starym claimed Elminster was in league with drow and sent them in to attack Mythanthar. Was the Lord Speaker lying and simply masking Starym warriors in illusion or was he really in league with dark elves? And if so, would you be able to tell us which dark elf family? I've never heard of surface elves working with drow before, so my final question is: Are the Starym an entire clan of albino drow themselves?

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2012 :  05:44:43  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:

quote:

And now the scene from the beginning of A Knight's Tale jumps to mind - "We will... we will.. ROCK YOU!" Good stuff... and a little sad, now...

Yes, it was.

It wasn't in Rock of Ages, which was what I meant.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2012 :  21:33:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Eilserus, your most recent questions are matters I can handle, so here we go...

"Llombaerth Starym claimed Elminster was in league with drow and sent them in to attack Mythanthar. Was the Lord Speaker lying and simply masking Starym warriors in illusion or was he really in league with dark elves?"

Yes, he was lying and masking Starym warriors in illusion, but he might also have been trying to cover up Starym trading with, and having regular contact with, certain drow merchants. We Knights weren't able to ever find out for certain (so long afterwards).

"And if so, would you be able to tell us which dark elf family?"

No, sorry, see above.

"I've never heard of surface elves working with drow before, so my final question is: Are the Starym an entire clan of albino drow themselves?"

Such cooperations have occurred scores of times, but are usually short-lived, devoid of trust, and don't end well. However, no, the Starym are not a drow clan, albino or otherwise (Ed says, though he added: "Their pride has often prompted them to act in ways that are superficially similar to the way some drow behave.")

And there we have it. So saith Ed, and me.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2012 :  22:54:55  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Eilserus, your most recent questions are matters I can handle, so here we go...

"Llombaerth Starym claimed Elminster was in league with drow and sent them in to attack Mythanthar. Was the Lord Speaker lying and simply masking Starym warriors in illusion or was he really in league with dark elves?"

Yes, he was lying and masking Starym warriors in illusion, but he might also have been trying to cover up Starym trading with, and having regular contact with, certain drow merchants. We Knights weren't able to ever find out for certain (so long afterwards).

"And if so, would you be able to tell us which dark elf family?"

No, sorry, see above.

"I've never heard of surface elves working with drow before, so my final question is: Are the Starym an entire clan of albino drow themselves?"

Such cooperations have occurred scores of times, but are usually short-lived, devoid of trust, and don't end well. However, no, the Starym are not a drow clan, albino or otherwise (Ed says, though he added: "Their pride has often prompted them to act in ways that are superficially similar to the way some drow behave.")

And there we have it. So saith Ed, and me.
love,
THO

Thank you both. :)
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2012 :  23:37:02  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
Dear THO, dear Ed,

since a while I have put up the issue in the link below about the Melial in the Stonelands.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15978

I Posted the link for my thoughts about them are not really few....

Can Ed or eventually you, too, share any information how far off / or right I might be with thoughts into this direction?

especially with these:

How do you guys think the chance is, that all this secret activity, staying undercover and "acting" and scheming behind the scenes is controlled by the Melial Tribe in the Skull Gorge region?

Elminster staes, that they are the last remnants of the greenskin kingdom, their ancesotry fleeing the battle of bones and since then dwelling there. He states they are still powerful magic users, and use magic items from the old times, as well as overcoming their basic racial animosities.

they, as the only really organized force I know officially, could have a really working network of spies, secret agents, allies etc.etc. in place.

I mean the Melial having their network solely in other Humanoid communities.
In my thoughts, they would then have spies, contacts, allies, friends etc.etc. in all the tribes, clans, warbands of the stonelands and the goblin marches.

this came to my mind after havng had the replies from Ed and THO regarding especially the Hobgoblin mindset - why conquer and risk extinction, if you can get what you want without even showing your enemies you are there....

They would, effectively, secretely rule the area already, as they even infiltrated the border raiders for they see the red dragon that controls them as a competition....

They have successfully thwarted any attempt by the humans of cormyr or adventurers to settle / tame the area, either by sending or directing humanoid warriors to destroy such attempts, or even bribing or luring powerful monsters to meet them and fight them off.

They come from an empire of mixed humanoids, and have lost the battle of bones, where they had hundreds of thousands of warriors and so have been scheming in the dark for 300 years now.

During this time, they have defended their homelands against cormyr and the zhents, only to allow the latter to trade through their realm by letting some of their members / allies be hired, bribed etc. by the zhents - all to make them believe they are actually in control.

The majoritxy of their "empire" though, does not even know that they are part of it - no yet. They prefer to stay hidden, and preparing for their big comeback.

They Are in close contact with every major group of Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins and Bugbears, as well as some Gnollish etc. races.

They helped Obould escape when Citadel felbarr was taken from him, leading him away through secret tunnels during the final attack of the dwarves and knights of the humans. But also then, only a handful of the orcs getting away with obould knew they were acting for somebody else, and these were only intermediates of the melial... In the aftermath they secretely murdered at least a dozen of the competitors of Obould, so he could eventually charge out of the Mountains and found Many arrows. Know the Melial have a lot of informants and spies even amongst the orce dwelling there.

They Helped the Sythilisian Ogre Mages recruit their Massive army, either by directly sending allied tribes of warriors to their cause, or, their biggest support, convincing the Holorarar Hobgoblin Kingom to support them with 5.000 Legionairs as well as producing weapons and armor for their troops.

All this was schemed in secret, again most of the time the affected individuals not knwoing or even thinking of a bigger plan behind it.

They have good spies on each "court" of goblin or orc Kings in the earthfast mountains, the spine of the world, and even the pair of hobgoblins controlling the humanoids in the copper mountains are their allies as well as the goblins dwelling on Thays Borders.

The Hobgoblins and Goblins at the Gorge of the fallen idol are also tightly connected to them and it is due to their influence that everybody around the place STILL thinks the might of the tribes in the gorge is broken - just until they decide it is the right time to proove them wrong.

They Lure in the Dark, waiting for some big thing, or until they find a mighty artifact........
And then They could strike at dozens of different places at the same time, directly or indirectly controlling hundreds of thousands of humanoid warriors.

"looks up from Keyboard" - oops got taken away here a bit:)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2012 :  23:47:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I've a question... and only because I said it somewhere, but what are the current if any popular bawdy cormyran sea shanties???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  04:11:14  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
As a question about drow working with normal elf clans resonate thru
the halls, I come up with one myself. Did I ever ask Clan Keleidsas in SKIP WILLIAMSs "Secrets of the Arch Wood" in Dragon #121?
Edit: Wrong Author or Adventure and included elf clan name.

Edited by - althen artren on 01 Jul 2012 20:37:54
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  23:35:11  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I'd like to add another dragon to my earlier query, if I may.

Naurglaur, a green dragon, is named in the blurb at the beginning of Chapter 14 of Spellfire.

Hamairathgauraundon, High Wyrm of the Crags, is quoted in a blurb in Hand of Fire.

As far as I can tell, they're not described anywhere else, other than your recollection of the High Wyrm here, THO-of-the-many-notes.

Any additional lore regarding their origins and lairs/domains and deeds (and demises?) that Ed can share, when he has time of course, would be most welcome.

Many thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2012 :  01:53:22  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir
quote:

Yes, it was.

It wasn't in Rock of Ages, which was what I meant.

Ah, OK! Still haven't seen this.

Edit: message format

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 02 Jul 2012 12:43:42
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2012 :  06:51:10  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Dear Ed, what do you think about the Rise of the Underdark and Lolth's attempt to become the new goddess of magic? I would like to hear your personal opinion on it or your professional opinion as well, whichever one you want.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2012 :  14:52:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I heard that movie was abysmal (and not in a good D&D way)

quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

As a question about drow working with normal elf clans resonate thru
the halls, I come up with one myself. Did I ever ask Clan Keleidsas in SKIP WILLIAMSs "Secrets of the Arch Wood" in Dragon #121?
Edit: Wrong Author or Adventure and included elf clan name.
DUNGEON 121

Also, demi-humans are NOT humans, yet they do share one very important trait with them - they are individuals. Just as you can find 'good' drow, you can find evil Elves (some that rival the drow in cruelty). Racial stereo-types do exist, but there are thousands of exceptions, and this would extend to entire clans, villages, and organizations. For instance, some Drow of Cormanthor worked with Elves against common threats, and there is another group of Drow (somwhere below the lands of Intrigue, IIRC) that are trying to establish relations with surface elves... which means there must be groups of surface Elves willing to at least talk to Drow for any of this to happen.

If anything, Menzo was the exception. I say 'was' because they were much more like the GH Drow, and I believe nearly all drow in 4e have gone back to that (under Lolth's total control). They went from being interesting characters to just monsters again (and I am torn by that - as a DM, I prefer them being monsters, but as an FR fan I like what has been done with them).

EDIT: I have to ask a question, but I'm drawing a complete blank ATM, so here's a weird one: Ed, what sort of cookies (or other snacks) do you like?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jul 2012 14:53:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2012 :  15:24:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Another question to add to my ever-growing queue... Back when I was researching Lords of Waterdeep so I could write-up some of my own, I noted that in one short story, Ed named Mirt's lady Asper as a Lord of Waterdeep. This reference is the only one I know of -- all the other lists of Lords both before and after this did not include her.

I'm curious as to why she was not listed anywhere else... Was this an oversight, was her Lordship a brief one, or is there another reason?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2012 :  15:49:29  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

Dear Ed, what do you think about the Rise of the Underdark and Lolth's attempt to become the new goddess of magic? I would like to hear your personal opinion on it or your professional opinion as well, whichever one you want.

I'm not Ed Greenwood and I'm not her highness Lady Hooded one either.

I don't have to be them to say the reply may very well be NDA

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2012 :  16:01:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Well said, sfdragon.
Xar Zarath, Ed's contracts and NDAs largely prohibit him from speaking about unfolding and future Realms products, storylines, and the like.
Even if he wasn't fettered in what he can say, 'twould rather destroy the magic to have frequent behind-the-scenes commentary on stuff that that hasn't yet fully appeared, wouldn't it?
Yes, movie studios do it with trailers all the time, but that's a different medium. Roleplaying pencil & paper games take place in your head, and around the table with friends, and shattering that make-believe is usually a bad and cruel thing.
However, we'll see how far he can venture . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2012 :  16:09:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again.
Markustay, Ed's diabetic, so his sweet snacks have changed (though he does still enjoy a good Russet or Cox's Orange Pippin apple, or a very ripe pear). These days, his snacks are wont to be such things as a bowl of won ton soup, or just tea, tea, and more tea. Or something hors d'eouvres in the deviled ham line. His sadly-departed cousin Mike turned him on to pears and Stilton cheese years ago, and I've even seen him sneak a root beer float at a high-end ice cream shop (a "gelato shoppe").
I know that back when Ed was a kid, his grandfather got him in the habit of soft-boiling VERY fresh eggs (as in, taken from right under the hen), and almost drinking them down. And eating peas raw out of the pod while hand-harvesting them.
(Sounds almost disgustingly healthy, doesn't it? :} )
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2012 :  16:18:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

His sadly-departed cousin Mike turned him on to pears and Stilton cheese years ago ...
I've been repeatedly told by a friend that this is an awesome tasting combination. I like apple and cheese, but I've never thought to try pear.

Maybe it's time I tried it for myself?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2012 :  16:55:42  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
[quote

His sadly-departed cousin Mike turned him on to pears and Stilton cheese years ago ...
[/quote]

Hello All

As we are discussing pears, is there anywhere in particular in Cormyr for growing the best pears?

I assume that perry is made from those not eaten? if so who might be considered the best brewer of perry at the moment? (circa 1360 - 1370 DR or so)

And are pears known as something else in the Realms?

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2012 :  17:13:50  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Halfling-bait, according to knowledgeable sources of orcish ancestry.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2012 :  18:35:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Halfling-bait, according to knowledgeable sources of orcish ancestry.

And the orcish word for halfling is or'dehrv.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Jul 2012 18:35:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2012 :  22:01:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Shush you two...

THO is talking about how Ed appreciates a really great pear...

Pleeeeeease... continue.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jul 2012 22:06:07
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2012 :  00:11:52  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:

Shush you two...

Pleeeeeease... continue.

A pair of what?

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2012 :  00:31:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

Shush you two...

Pleeeeeease... continue.

A pair of what?

By Eilistraee's always nonpresent ad non existant knickers, somebody had to go there....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2012 :  00:33:30  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Ed, if you have anything you can remember about the Sembian family Orangyl,
I would be happy to receive it.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2012 :  01:38:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, yes, Markustay, I quite forgot to mention Ed's love of dim sum and of cooked shrimp, eaten unadorned as well as with "shrimp cocktail sauce." Not to mention his infamous artery-hardening chip dip, which Brian Cortijo (and Jeff Thetford?) famously made up at their surprise 50th birthday party for Ed, a few GenCons back...
love,
THO
P.S. Therise, thank you. Saved me making the inevitable comment. Let me elucidate some day about cinammon nipples. . . but not this day.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 04 Jul 2012 01:40:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2012 :  02:11:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Milady, you're making my rather hungry. In more ways than just the one.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2012 :  16:42:16  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:
P.S. Therise, thank you. Saved me making the inevitable comment. Let me elucidate some day about cinammon nipples. . . but not this day.

Ooh, I bet those are fun! I'll trade you my recipe for nipples of Venus Sune!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2012 :  20:19:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I ask a perfectly innocent question, and it turns tawdry.

I do so love these forums.

My mom's diabetic, but she's the type that completely ignores doctor's orders. Glad to know Ed's smarter then that. I'm a donut man myself - I wish I could stick with healthy snacks, but I lack the willpower (I failed my save?)

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2012 :  18:06:09  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
Mark - they have a feat for that.

And today's information request ... I think I might have come at this from a different direction before, but would Ed be willing to comment on the significant "elemental" abundance in Thar?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000