Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  13:05:33  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Tantam All

I have been rereading, (for inspiration for the ongoing campaign), Ed's articles on devilry from Dragon magazines waaaaay back when and noticed something new to me from Dragon 91 'Eight Devilish Questions' specifically this:

"Alastor the Grim (sometimes called Alastor the Silent), the greatest pit fiend there is"

The curious in me is interested to know whether Alastor was in the home Realms game? and if so how? a secret in the background manipulating baddie, or an up front in your face troublemaker and spreader of evil?

As an addition to the above, how much did the other named devils/demons of the Realms 'interfere' in the home game? namely Gargoth (Gargauth)and Astaroth etc.

Also are there any other unknown names of devils/demons specific to the Realms that can be let loose upon these hallowed halls?

Kind regards

Damian
ps re Gargoth, is there a reason for the renaming to Gargauth for the latter published work?

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  16:58:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone.
Damian, Alastor lurked as a behind-the-scenes "manipulator/kingpin/prime mover" villain in the home Realms campaign for years. So do most greater devils (because the more they show themselves openly, the more likely they are to get fiercely opposed or even knocked off by OTHER powerful evildoers trying to "run the Realms" from the shadows). for that same low-profile reasons, I'm not certain which other archdevils and greater devils have been "active" in the home Realms campaign, although we've met Gargoth/Gargauth twice that I know of, and possibly more times when we didn't see through his disguise.
And the spelling change came from Gargoth himself, trying to weed out some mortal spellcastings that used his name written down as part of the castings, to compel him.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  18:34:42  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, everyone.
Damian, Alastor lurked as a behind-the-scenes "manipulator/kingpin/prime mover" villain in the home Realms campaign for years. So do most greater devils (because the more they show themselves openly, the more likely they are to get fiercely opposed or even knocked off by OTHER powerful evildoers trying to "run the Realms" from the shadows). for that same low-profile reasons, I'm not certain which other archdevils and greater devils have been "active" in the home Realms campaign, although we've met Gargoth/Gargauth twice that I know of, and possibly more times when we didn't see through his disguise.
And the spelling change came from Gargoth himself, trying to weed out some mortal spellcastings that used his name written down as part of the castings, to compel him.
love,
THO

Many thanks THO for your reply.

I love the renaming by the fiend itself, so it could get out of services demanded of it by mortals. I suspect that the wrong name mentioned in the summoning does not behove him/her/it to the summoner, much to the summoners chagrin......

Re Alastor and the behind the scenes manipulation: I am wondering if any of the 'evil behind the scenes types' that we know about, actually know alot about each other and each others plans? and how much time they spend thwarting each others plots, rather than just getting on with their schemes instead. I suspect if they spent less time stopping each other then evil would be more prevalent in the Realms? (just musing).

Kindest regards

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  19:15:46  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
THO a question for you if I may?

The published Realms is seen by many detractors as a magic rich campaign world and therefore 'wrong', but I am very much interested in how Ed handled magic for the home game in regards to the PC's.

Ed has produced magnificent lore regarding magic swords and shields and other items first published in Dragon Magazine and then collected for FR4 The Magister. All named with a history and back story and a place in the world. As a player in the home campaign did all/most of the permanent magic the PC's collected have names and/or a history? or did you have the odd +1 short sword with no name? How much did a named item mean to the players? Did the item itself provide more 'adventuring' hooks because you all knew that it did have a history that you needed/wanted to discover? (just in case it did actually belong to King Growling Cheeks of Upper Muddy Hollow and everyone knows he sends a hand count of assassins to recover a stolen loaf of bread etc).

I know that in the Blackmoor Campaign all swords were intelligent and I love it when a DM takes time to personalise a weapon/shield/cloak etc and make magic special rather than just a humdrum axe +1 of fire and frost.

I had the pleasure of running for some 3.x only players recently and when they got their named magic swords in the treasure pile they were taken aback at first, but soon forgot the 'crunch' and focussed on the uniqueness of their special weapon, for them magic was special again.

Best wishes

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  00:36:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Great question Damian. Fervently seconded.

I note that Florin used the shield Reptar's Wall. Given his history, he may also have known something about Hawkstone's Bulwark - was the owner of that shield the same person as the one he was apprenticed to? It may be also that the Knights intersected with some items - the sword Shazzelim - and the likely would have seen the bard Tamshan's very rare Wand of Teeth (for some reason, one of my favorite FR items).

In my own little, never-going-to-happen, mind's eye Realms campaign, every item would have something unique to it - a forge mark, wizard mark, runic inscription etc. that would add depth to the setting and hopefully generate questions and "leading to adventure" hooks.

Anyway, enough of my dreams, over to you Ed.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  01:05:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed's battling his way through more "must do yesterday!" stuff, but sent me an e-mail that contained a beginning of an answer to Damian, and here 'tis:

Indeed, yes. The ONLY magic items in my home campaign Realms that didn't have backstories, the only "bog standard" items that were alike, if you will, were these:
• glowstones (the stones or gemstones that emitted a radiance when someone holding it willed them to do so, and controlled the intensity of the light; sometimes radiance could also be controlled, or was linked to the holder's emotions, but usually the hue was "set" in the original enchantment)
• daggers that had glowstone properties
• bladed weapons that had (only) blueshine, everbright, and eversharp properties, or had them plus one or both additional properties: steelsilence (wouldn't clang, ring, or shriek when landing after a fall, or while striking other metal) and invisibility (that "winked out" when they struck something, anyway)

Everything else had maker's marks, or an owner's rune, or a story or two attached to it, or funky side-powers, or additional powers that awakened only in specific locales or while within a certain distance of ANOTHER magic item . . . and many of them had limited or full sentience, with personalities (often cynical or sarcastic or both) to match. I want to have FUN with my magic. :}

So saith Ed. And there you have it.
So, George, as usual, you and Ed think very much alike.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  01:23:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Right. Now 'tis my turn to answer Damian.
Here we go...
"THO a question for you if I may?
The published Realms is seen by many detractors as a magic rich campaign world and therefore 'wrong', but I am very much interested in how Ed handled magic for the home game in regards to the PC's."

'Magic rich' it indeed is, but not so rich in the hands of PCs (at least, not for long; Ed has a way of putting us in very realistic situations where we need cash to buy supplies or pay taxes, or see the usefulness of owning yonder barn or wharf or ship as opposed to a {another} sword that glows and talks). I of course would dispute what's right or wrong with those detractors by asking them if they'd prefer to have the nearest reader of romances or westerns or Regency novels of manners dictate what everyone in the world could read (yes, including them), and then asking them why they think THEIR tastes in FRP campaigns should be rammed down the throats of all other gamers, or their judgments should prevail...but let it pass. If there's anything more pointless than arguing with anonymous idiots on the Internet, I've yet to find it.
I, too, for obvious reasons, am interested in how Ed handles magic in the home game.

"Ed has produced magnificent lore regarding magic swords and shields and other items first published in Dragon Magazine and then collected for FR4 The Magister. All named with a history and back story and a place in the world. As a player in the home campaign did all/most of the permanent magic the PC's collected have names and/or a history?"

Most had names, a history, and "unfinished business" clinging to them. Which we got caught up in, of course.

"Or did you have the odd +1 short sword with no name?"

Yes, we had a few. Usually soon sold off or gifted strategically to important NPCs or on temple altars.

"How much did a named item mean to the players?"

A LOT, at first. Later, the excitement was less but the fun of figuring out what uses we could make of unusual powers or a heritage that came with problems or stalkers and the like grew and grew. Ed is a fun guy and a ham actor DM, but gamers who play with him at conventions just can't see how great he truly is; you really need to experience a long-running Ed campaign to grasp how rich, immersive, yet full of opportunities for player freedom and innovation his storyweaving is.

"Did the item itself provide more 'adventuring' hooks because you all knew that it did have a history that you needed/wanted to discover? (just in case it did actually belong to King Growling Cheeks of Upper Muddy Hollow and everyone knows he sends a hand count of assassins to recover a stolen loaf of bread etc)."

Yep. Torm was always eager to bring the problems down on all of our heads, but some of the rest of us were often gingerly passing items around like the proverbial hot potatoes (or like the knight in the movie EXCALIBUR who's raised Arthur, and when Arthur brings him Excalibur he asks where Arthur got it, and then hisses, "Well, PUT IT BACK!")

"I know that in the Blackmoor Campaign all swords were intelligent and I love it when a DM takes time to personalise a weapon/shield/cloak etc and make magic special rather than just a humdrum axe +1 of fire and frost."

Me too. Ed's talking magic items (either aloud or as the murmuring [[usually sexy female contralto]] voice inside the wielder's head) are always great fun/a pain in the a** at the time. He does have some items that are silent, but can move/gesture/point and project photograph-like still "mind images," and communicate that way. VERY effectively. Not to mention intriguingly.

"I had the pleasure of running for some 3.x only players recently and when they got their named magic swords in the treasure pile they were taken aback at first, but soon forgot the 'crunch' and focussed on the uniqueness of their special weapon, for them magic was special again."

Exactly. Beautifully put. Awakening that magic is what we're all sitting around the table for, after all. Magic should be exciting, mysterious, awaken a little (or a lot of) fear, and (forgive the overused word) evoke awe.

Ah, memories. And looking forward to making new ones.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  02:42:55  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
I have a somewhat silly one:

Has anyone ever asked to join Ed's home Realms game, saying they would gladly move to his hometown to do so? Has anyone actually done that?

Just something that jumped into my medicated brain.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  02:52:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, yes.
Several gamers have even offered to move into Ed's basement, to help him file and tidy and do the housework.
Ed's wife personally turns down the offers from good-looking females. Nicely, of course.
(Myself, I think Ed would secretly be relieved if someone took all the housework off his hands. He already has the equivalent of three full-time jobs going, at once.)
And don't think I haven't offered. Fourscore times and more.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  03:03:55  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:

Oh, yes.
Several gamers have even offered to move into Ed's basement, to help him file and tidy and do the housework.
Ed's wife personally turns down the offers from good-looking females. Nicely, of course.
(Myself, I think Ed would secretly be relieved if someone took all the housework off his hands. He already has the equivalent of three full-time jobs going, at once.)
And don't think I haven't offered. Fourscore times and more.
love,
THO

Has it ever happened that someone did indeed join his home game though? I'm curious and can't stop being curious when the meds are going.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  04:16:39  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
'Magic rich' it indeed is, but not so rich in the hands of PCs (at least, not for long; Ed has a way of putting us in very realistic situations where we need cash to buy supplies or pay taxes, or see the usefulness of owning yonder barn or wharf or ship as opposed to a {another} sword that glows and talks).
(...)

Exactly. Beautifully put. Awakening that magic is what we're all sitting around the table for, after all. Magic should be exciting, mysterious, awaken a little (or a lot of) fear, and (forgive the overused word) evoke awe.

Ah, memories. And looking forward to making new ones.
love,
THO

Very good indeed. That's something I try to have in my Realms. Magic is something wonderful and mysterious, and even if the world HAS some magic (call it 'magic-rich', if you must) players are not like super heroes that go flying all the time, or throwing lightning and fireballs as usually as a warrior swings his blade or flings his arrows. Enchanted items have names, and are not bought and sold so easily... And adventures abound to low and middle-level warriors, in a world that is not so full of saving all the world and deific strifes and manipulations all the time.

I'm much more into the 'heroes of a town' stories, with some adventuring travels, and the occasional foray into a great city with a great array of possibilities, but a more confusing and bureaucratic place, full of taxes and where they aren't seen as local champions. That's why I've chosen to base my players in Daggerdord.

(Now I'm even more of a fan of Ed)

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  04:19:22  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Are there any witches, orders of witches or covens of witches outside of the sexist Hathren society? If so, how do their practices differ from region to region? How are they treated in regular society? How would they come into their powers?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  17:19:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Erendriel, I can paraphrase Ed here to give you a ready answer:
There are lots of witches in the Realms. However, many of them keep their true natures as hidden as possible, because of the negative views SOME local folk everywhere have towards witches.
So when someone is referred to as a "witch" or a "hedge-wizard," they may or may not have any aptitude for the Art (casting magic). Some "witches" are local herbalists/Wild Talent healers or just crones who know a lot of lore ("wise women"), just as some "hedge-wizards" are really old retired adventurers or sages who have accumulated a few magic items which they use to defend themselves against robbers from time to time, and acquire a "don't mess with HIM; he knows magic!" reputation.
In other words, with both "witch" and "hedge-wizard," there's a pejorative use of the word and the sloppy misuse of it by the ignorant and various more precise usages, and thye often get mixed up together.
Some witches are really sorceresses or incantatrixes, some are priestesses of Selûne or Eilistraee or Chauntea (or even Malar or Loviatar or Moander) who get labelled witches; and some are members of various nature (star worshippers, forestr place-spirit worshippers) and beast cults. And yes, there are male and female witches of all of these sorts, despite my female terminology (though use of the word "witch" by others often arises from witnessing female leadership or female-wielded power).
Their "practices" vary depending on what they really are, and who (as people) they really are; nasty, or insane, or hurt by events in their lives, and their personal world-views and aims.
How they get treated depends a lot on their behaviour; someone who heals the sick or at least eases pain and death will be regarded far more favorably than someone who uses magic to bully or harm. The overall society tends to view "witches" with wariness, if not suspicion and fear, in part because some clergy encourage such views because they see "witches" as "unregulated competitors" (i.e. spellcasters not closely regimented by an organized church). This view may or may not be true, of course, depending on the witch.
Almost all "witches" are to some extent Wild Talents, whose innate, born aptitudes for magic or herbalism or attunement to nature blossom or awaken as they grow up (sometimes triggered by a traumatic event). Most worship a widely-known deity or a locally-known "place spirit," or take counsel with druids, to acquire some guidance in the use and development of their powers, and in moral life decisions. (And some such guides grant or "turn on" increasing powers within a witch, in return for "doing the right things.")

There. That's about where Ed's general notes stop, and we get into individual cases.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  17:27:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And I just remembered, Erendriel, that of your previous pair of questions, the one about societies that regard arcane spellcasters as evil got pretty much answered by other scribes, but that still left this group of queries unaddressed:
"1. What are some events in which a character can become a Chosen of Mystra?
2. How does Mystra choose her Chosen?
3. Does she have a set amount of Chosen at one time?
4. What would one have to do in order to become a Chosen of Mystra?"
Ed's still toiling away with real-world writing/editing/reviewing chores, but I can tell you flat out that when it comes to the "home" Realms campaign, the answers are:
1. Unknown. Be alive, handy, and eligible, and say "yes" when She approaches you, when Mystra sees a need to create a new Chosen, obviously, but mortals don't know Mystra's criteria for selection or for feeling a need for a new Chosen.
2. Unknown except to Mystra, Azuth, and (if they eavesdrop/witness, in particular cases) some of her existing senior Chosen.
3. No.
4. Unknown. Be a good worshipper of her AND be personally very strong/enduring in character, but beyond that, mortals can only guess.

These are my answers, but based on many conversations with Ed and longtime playing experience in his "home" campaign.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 24 Jun 2012 17:28:38
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  22:30:44  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Another question for Ed, this time concerning the Curse of Irphong. I asked Eric, since I found it in Drizzt's Guide, but he suggested checking Lands of Intrigue and FR3, and asking Ed, so... I'm curious in particular about whether the dragon turtle was the first creature with this "name" and whether it and/or the kraken have other names. Do either of them have class levels?

FR3 states that "no one alive knows of the dragon turtle's existence" but surely it's met something that it couldn't or didn't devour. Is there more to know about either of them, and who (nearby dragons? Candlekeep? Elminster? druids? sea wraiths of Umberlee? little turtlings or krakenettes?) knows it?
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  01:27:55  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Thank you VERY much for that huge load of answers THO! I deeply appreciate it! :)
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  06:04:49  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
You may also want to scroll back through the archived responses Ed has given over the years - there should be quite a few other notes about Chosen in them.

I'll add in a question on the Chosen myself, though, specifically relating to two adventure paths that were released for Dungeon Magazine - Shackled City and Savage Tide. At the conclusion of each path, a character (or NPCs) have the option of attempting to assume control over an Abyssal layer (Occipitus in Shackled City, Gaping Maw - Demogorgon's layer, along with the crown of Prince of Demons - in Savage Tide).

I'm curious about what would hypothetically result if a Chosen of Mystra (or similar Chosen of other good deities, even though Mystra's Chosen are quite different) were to become ruler of one of those layers. Particularly if they became the Prince of Demons per one of the possible endings of Savage Tide. How would Mystra (or the deity in question that has invested a blessing or power in the individual) react?

After all, some of the essence (of Mystra specifically in the case of a Chosen) is now held within a new demon lord (sort of - you have yet to "grow into your position" after all), and if Elminster in Hell is any indication, a renegade Archdevil getting hold of the essence (and silver fire) is a situation that resulted in Mystra personally delivering widespread devastation to the first layer of the Hells before sending Halaster and the Simbul on a rescue mission. I can't imagine that potentially losing some of her essence (not to mention one of her personally-selected Chosen in and of themselves) to the fate of becoming a new demon lord is a much better scenario.

Would she act to remove the essence from the Chosen, with the Chosen giving up the power willingly? Wait and watch, because this might allow for new power relationships throughout the planes to change? (Having an agent in control of an Abyssal layer could be a good thing, if they can resist the slide into evil and avoid succumbing to the temptation to become the new Demogorgon in more than title.) Or if (as it may well be) the slide into evil is truly inevitable, would she act as she did against Sammaster?

Or would the act of mixing the two "essences" (Mystra's power and Prince of Demons status) create a very messy explosion if/when the individual was unable to contain the energy within themselves, and let the essence return to Mystra as it normally would?

I suppose this plays into (in part) how energies interact with one another. I was reading through the Savage Tide adventure path a few nights ago, and wondered what sort of situations could result from a deity's chosen becoming lord of Abyssal layers (or areas of other planes as well, but the Abyss seems to be a favourite among D&D writers for this sort of thing).

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster

Edited by - Eldacar on 25 Jun 2012 06:12:14
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  13:53:54  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Speaking of dragons, in the 2e Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set, specifically in the adventure "The Wyrm Below", there is a mention to temple of a human cult to some "Aumrathar the Greater Dragon". THO, can you provide more details about this, or ask Ed if he has something to add? Sages, was anything else published or revealed about this cult, that I missed?

Only detailing my question:

Was Aumrathar actually a dragon, an archetypical dragon, or a divine manifestation? Was it good, evil or neutral (after all, its cult was hidden, right)? If it was a dragon, to which race/color it belonged to? Was it a manifestation a Bahamut, Tiamat, or other known deity/entity? Was it a he or a she?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 25 Jun 2012 20:14:59
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  00:35:59  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Many many thanks Ed and THO for your illuminating replies to my questions about magic in the home game. I always assumed that Ed did not do 'bog standard magic' after reading FR4 and that sourcebook definitely changed my outlook on 'rounding out and fleshing out' the magic what-nots that I give out in the ongoing campaign.

I have another odd question if I may? As it is the silver anniversary of Ed's first published D&D module The Endless Stair (I think it was his first D&D module?) I was wondering about Aglahund the Mighty and his other name/title - The Cheiromar.

Is The Cheiromar an 'official' title of Aglahund's? Does it mean anything specific and (to keep this Realms relevant!) is there a similar title for the Realms for whatever honour Aglahund achieved? (The Magister perhaps?).

Alavairthae!

Kind regards

Damian
ps plus if Ed can share anymore lore on Aglahund, his contemporary Halazar and/or Aglahund's apprentices Lathkoon, Zelazel, Ulthorn and Shaleen that would be great as wizard lore is always welcome, (time and other deadlines willing that is!).

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  00:39:45  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All, Ed can you tell us of some plants or fungus in your realms that if ingested or skin contact cause hallucinations for minutes or longer periods and where they could be found?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  15:35:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
First, I just want to thank Ed (and THO) for continuing to cater to us, despite Ed's inhuman schedule. Kudo's! Then to address a few posts above...

FR's a big world/setting, and it doesn't have to resign itself to just one flavor. I used to run a Ravenloft-esque 'Horror' arc every October for my players - some of them were quite dark. I did so in both GH and FR (and GH is anything but grim... on the surface).

This is the beauty of FR - it can be Munchkins in Wonderland, PotC, Middle-Earth, WoD, Time Bandits (an old classic), or Amber. You can give it a Moorcock, Lovecraft, Vance, Herbert or Silverberg 'feel'. It can be Indiana Jones, The Mummy, Golden Compass, Braveheart, etc. It could even be Twilight, Harry Potter, or Buffy, if thats your thing. All at the same, with everything mixing together, or not effecting each other at all. I think this is why FR became so popular so quickly - it could be all things to all people, depending on how you spin stuff.

That's why they should have NEVER done away with the 'uncertain 3rd person' approach to lore - it was IDEAL for an RPG setting.

I also try to make magic special - I guess this is why we are all fans of Ed's Realms. Magic should never be an encyclopedia of spells, or catalog of easily-available items (despite it being just that in our RW sources).

@Barastir - I doubt the dragon could have been evil, unless it was LE leaning heavily toward law. To me, the lore makes it sound more like a 'nanny' annoyed at the 'misbehaving children' (and not above giving them a good ass-smack when they are 'naughty').

Question: Ed, how would you (or did you) have handled adding 'Blackflame' (from The Five Shires) in Faerûn? I was thinking a Shar connection was obvious, but it doesn't really fit the lore at all. "Darkness without evil" doesn't really shoe-horn well with Realms fluff.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Jun 2012 15:44:04
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  15:52:01  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
@Barastir - I doubt the dragon could have been evil, unless it was LE leaning heavily toward law. To me, the lore makes it sound more like a 'nanny' annoyed at the 'misbehaving children' (and not above giving them a good ass-smack when they are 'naughty').

I personally thought it would not be evil just because it was in Myth Drannor, but then the place became the lair of a red dragoness, and I'm not sure if she found the portal that leads there by accident, or if she knew of it when the ancient cult - and the city - was still alive. Besides, the temple is somewhat "hidden" in a subterranean area of the city, maybe because it was evil and/or outlawed.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 26 Jun 2012 16:14:31
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  00:53:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Lets not forget that the Elves of old knew how to polymorph into dragons (this from Ed's Athalantar article in Dragon).

Although he was specifically talking about High Forest Elves, there is no reason that knowledge couldn't have spread to Myth Drannor/Cormanthor.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jun 2012 00:53:39
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  03:21:23  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Ed, in your realms are there twins/triplets who can sense each others emotions and pains or even communicate mentally especially while apart, any such siblings of note? If yes, would they know the difference between sibling being dead, not on same plane or under effect of spells and such?
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  12:43:49  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:

Lets not forget that the Elves of old knew how to polymorph into dragons (this from Ed's Athalantar article in Dragon).

Although he was specifically talking about High Forest Elves, there is no reason that knowledge couldn't have spread to Myth Drannor/Cormanthor.

There is a solitude High Magic ritual, described in the Cormanthyr book, that allows them to assume dragon powers or even dragon form - originally from the Elves of Evermeet sourcebook. But would elves polymorph into dragons to be worshiped by humans? If so, why? Well, let's see if Ed has something to add about this issue.

PS: Are you talking about High Elves or Forest Elves? You just can't have it all, MT!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 27 Jun 2012 12:49:28
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  15:58:16  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
Dragon polymorphs aren't hard. It's a 4th level spell!

Anyway, straight from seeing the Rock of Ages movie, I've got a question relating to music in the Realms for Ed.

Has Faerun ever had a "genre" of music that would approximate our rock? If so, how close would it be to our music of that variant, and does Ed have any particular favourites that would serve as examples of the sort of music you might hear?

Second, has there ever been the sort of phenomenon that rock'n'roll music has had here? You know - vast stadiums, rock stars, millions of cheering fans, that sort of thing. I would imagine that without radio and easy communication (and so on), things would be limited to word of mouth (unless a wizard was a fan, I suppose ) and the fame would either spread very slowly or remain localised to specific areas.

Still, I'd love to hear more about the way the music scene in the Realms works, and popular types of music. Hoping for some rock'n'roll, but I'll take what I can get.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  16:15:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Eldacar, some years back Sage asked about the music of the Realms, and Ed gave various replies, but rock music wasn't really touched on.
More recently, I asked Ed about it more directly, and here are part of his replies:

There are many rhythmic "work songs" or "rowing songs" in the Realms, most of them akin to the "Boomshakalaka" chorus from the movie MUPPET TREASURE ISLAND (that is, a chanted chorus, a building volume and quickening rhythm, a bass melodic line plus drumbeat) but occasionally with a soloist who carries the song by singing "against" or "through" deep-pitched instrumental and percussive accompaniment (think Gowan's "Criminal Mind").
As for stadium performances, these happen at religious festivals, coronations and royal burials of the rare beloved rulers, and among elves of certain cultures (and humans who've trained with them) resolving spell-duels: rather than vicious fights to the death, the duels become contests of moving audiences emotionally by using magic to tell visually- and audibly-glorious tales in the Cirque du Soleil tradition (two mages face off successively, telling stories with illusions and music). In Chessenta of old, there were also swordfights between singing knights that are a little like the "anything you can sing I can sing louder" school of opera, done before audiences gathered to see the bloodshed, but that custom died out (heh, along with its participants) long ago.

So saith Ed, a while back. Reproduced here with his permission.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  18:43:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
And now the scene from the beginning of A Knight's Tale jumps to mind - "We will... we will.. ROCK YOU!" Good stuff... and a little sad, now...

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

PS: Are you talking about High Elves or Forest Elves? You just can't have it all, MT!
Wood Elves who enjoy partaking of the wild forest cannabis. Those would be High Forest Elves.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jun 2012 18:44:55
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  06:05:34  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:

And now the scene from the beginning of A Knight's Tale jumps to mind - "We will... we will.. ROCK YOU!" Good stuff... and a little sad, now...

That particular song wasn't in the movie. There was plenty of other music, though (including Journey and Twisted Sister). But yes, that scene does bring a smile to my face.

Some interesting stuff, milady THO.

Edited by - Eldacar on 28 Jun 2012 06:06:52
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  13:10:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

That particular song wasn't in the movie. (...)

Yes, it was. In one of the combat sequences... About elves polymorphing into dragons, well, 4th level spells wouldn't make them GREATER dragons, and they would not have all the powers of a dragon, so a nuch more powerful spell would be needed.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page