Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  00:20:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Marco Volo, the Knights briefly visited the jungles of Chult twice (once a "gentle shipwreck" [grounding] on a merchant caravel we were paying passengers on, and once an expedition to find and explore a lost, overgrown ruin). We visited Amn several times, thrice to Athkatla for intrigue and to hunt down a thief who'd fled Waterdeep, once more passing through on the coastal trade-road, and once pursuing someone through eastern Amn
Yes, the Knights experienced spelljamming twice (once on an elven vessel, sailing the skies out of Evermeet), and not only saw but were aboard a "space ship" briefly on one of our otherplanar jaunts.
We're oooooold. Lots of adventures...
love,
THO

Did the Knights ever experienced SPELLJAMMING or see a space ship ?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  02:01:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, the Knights experienced spelljamming twice (once on an elven vessel, sailing the skies out of Evermeet), and not only saw but were aboard a "space ship" briefly on one of our otherplanar jaunts.
Oooo! Any chance you or Ed could share a little about some of these otherplanar jaunts the Knights experienced, milady?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  03:28:47  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
When Ed has a moment to breathe, and a moment more to talk dragons, I was wondering about a certain Hamairathgauraundon, also called (perhaps mainly by himself?) the High Wyrm of the Crags, mentioned in a chapter-start quote in Hand of Fire. The quote is dated Year of the Watching Helm (992 DR) and the dragon is apparently the author of "Words Spent On Little Fools: Instructing Humans" but no other information seems to be published.

Is the great and grand Hamairathgauraundon still puffing his chest out? Um, that is, graciously allowing mere mortals to bask in his awesomeness?

The higher the critter's CR is, the more flippant I get.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  14:57:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Nice find!

That one doesn't even appear on The Roll Call of Dragons.

Which means even the designers missed that one.

EDIT: And I just checked - that book came out 4 years before Dragons of Faerûn.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jun 2012 15:01:15
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  16:35:14  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Oooo! Any chance you or Ed could share a little about some of these otherplanar jaunts the Knights experienced, milady?

Thanks THO, and like The Sage, I'd love to hear more about this or the Chultan ruin (big dungeon or ancient city ? Maybe both ;) )

Edited by - Marco Volo on 20 Jun 2012 16:36:13
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  16:36:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
xaeyruudh, around 1980 or so, we Knights came across a human cult among shepherds and miners dwelling on the northside slopes of the northern boundary mountains of Amn - - a cult that worshipped "the High Wyrm of the Crags," who would come to their aid when certain rituals were performed, and despoil the crops and devour the herds of their foes, even routing "armies" if need be.
The High Wyrm had not been seen for generations, but in the past had policed Loudwater and the lands north and east of it, down southwest to Amn, even "fighting other dragons in the sky." And have given advice/commands to humans re. borders and peace treaties and the like.
So this would have been Hamairathgauraundon - - but as for the dragon's fate and proper details, we'll have to see what Ed says.
One more layer of Realms detail . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  20:58:02  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

even the designers missed that one.

Easy to miss. I only noticed it upon browsing Candlekeep's list of nonmagical books of the Realms. Could have also been deliberately dropped by an editor with a strict "novels aren't canon" rule... I dunno.

quote:

we Knights came across a human cult among shepherds and miners dwelling on the northside slopes of the northern boundary mountains of Amn - - a cult that worshipped "the High Wyrm of the Crags," who would come to their aid when certain rituals were performed, and despoil the crops and devour the herds of their foes, even routing "armies" if need be.

Thank you THO. I was wondering if the Crags were the ones up near Mirabar, or whether it was just a word chosen by the dragon to avoid specifically revealing the location of his lair. I get this great mental image from "certain rituals were performed" of cultists discovering or for whatever reason being gifted with certain knowledge (chants/invocations like circle magic but that don't require the "casters" to be magically imbued/gifted) with which they could open a Stargate-like portal (which could of course be invisible to the untrained cultists' eyes, as portals often are) through which the dragon would hear their chanting and --if he were so inclined-- appear. Point of clarification, though... these cultists had nothing to do with the Cult of the Dragon, right? Or at least, they had their own cult devoted to this particular dragon?

Looking forward to Ed's response, and now pondering the possibilities of primitive-ish cults opening old portals without even understanding what they're doing...
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  21:32:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You're welcome. They are/were nothing at all to do with the Cult of the Dragon, no.
The Cult gets all the press, but in Ed's Realms there are actually half a dozen smaller, sometimes confined to one village, cults linked to dragons...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  21:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Wizards has put up their "what we're doing at GenCon this year" page. Signings by Ed, Bob, Erin...and some intriguing things, like a mention of "The Sundering"...hmmm...
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2012 :  04:00:16  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
I have two questions that I hope Ed can answer.

1. Are there any societies where mages (or any type of arcane spell caster) are treated as if their powers are evil, to the point of those wielding magical powers are either forced into closely watched organizations or outright killed? (This question was sparked by the Circle of Magi in the Dragon Age settting)

2. What are some events in which a character can become a chosen of Mystra? How does Mystra choose her chosen? Does she have a set amount of chosen at one time? What would one have to do in order to become a chosen of Mystra?

Edited by - Aryalómë on 21 Jun 2012 06:08:14
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2012 :  11:30:43  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Speaking of dragons, in the 2e Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set, specifically in the adventure "The Wyrm Below", there is a mention to temple of a human cult to some "Aumrathar the Greater Dragon". THO, can you provide more details about this, or ask Ed if he has something to add? Sages, was anything else published or revealed about this cult, that I missed?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2012 :  19:38:50  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
Erendriel - the answer to 1. is Amn.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2012 :  20:23:00  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
I had an impression of a strong prejudice against mages in the Moonshaes, but I think only Northmen would kill on sight. Ffolk would be a little more open, and maybe arrest, bind, and prevent spellcasters from using their powers and skills before burning them. I think other barbarian cultures, like those who live in Icewind Dale, are also more prone to killing mages, even if they allied themselves with Akar Kessel. Then again, maybe they were being controlled.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2012 :  22:11:10  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
hm, normally i'm not one to offer answers in Ed's thread, but the cool kids are doin it. *points!*

Erendriel, are you looking only for 4e answers? if so, then i have no idea.

pre-spellplague, wizards are ritually burned at the stake in Luthcheq... the Karanok family, which rules the city from 1161 DR onward, sends agents all over Faerun to hunt down and capture/assassinate wizards (they have a liberal definition which includes all arcane spellcasters, plus all members of magic-friendly races like elves). prominent wizards like Elminster of course have a large price on their heads.

also, wizards and especially sorcerers are aggressively regulated in Mulhorand by the priesthoods of the god-kings... that being a large part of the reason for the Red Wizards' rebellion and the foundation of Thay.

source for both of those is FR10, an old 2e accessory which is probably hard to find these days.

of course, any throne might have a monarch who persecutes spellcasters and issues edicts banning or threatening wizards in that land for a decade or three. the next ruler could work to erase the previous one's evil, and a few generations later it could be deliberately forgotten by all. just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2012 :  22:28:02  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

I had an impression of a strong prejudice against mages in the Moonshaes, but I think only Northmen would kill on sight. Ffolk would be a little more open, and maybe arrest, bind, and prevent spellcasters from using their powers and skills before burning them. I think other barbarian cultures, like those who live in Icewind Dale, are also more prone to killing mages, even if they allied themselves with Akar Kessel. Then again, maybe they were being controlled.

As you'll see in my write-up of Gwydion (or did I post that already?), I think a credible case (in 3.5e) could be made for the Council of Mages of Callidyrr being arcane hierophants (basically wizard/druids). It matches the write-up of that prestige class very well.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  00:27:55  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
THO, could you give us some insights into the "darker" nature of Ed's personal Realms? I'm sure I read somewhere that Ed's personal Realms were a touch darker than what's been published.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  03:16:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Erendriel, Zireael and xaeyruudh's answers put together pretty much cover it, I think (but of course I've sent the query to Ed, to see what he has to say).
Entromancer, I've read that, too, and I'd say this much: Ed's Realms are more ADULT than the published version has been. By which I don't mean sex so much (though there's that, too) as I mean considering all consequences, not shying back from so much as mentioning incest or rape (or details of just how various crimes are committed). Ed's Realms can be momentarily grim, but overall, I'd say they're FUNNIER than the published Realms. Characters are witty, and Ed as DM can't resist moments of poetic justice pratfalls. For example, the Purple Dragon commander who growls at PCs that he can't possibly get lost in these woods, he knows them "as well as I know this gauntlet I'm wearing" - - a moment before walking over the edge of a short cliff in the forest.
Which of course makes the dark moments seem that much darker, by contrast. But darker overall? I'm not so sure. The published Realms has indulged a little too much in gods battling and large-scale RSEs for Ed to compete in the darkness sweepstakes, if you catch my meaning.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  03:48:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

As you'll see in my write-up of Gwydion (or did I post that already?), ...
Indeed, you did.

Barastir can find the post in question, here, among your 28 May 2012 replies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  05:20:39  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
...and here I was picturing Ed turning the lights off, and putting on night vision goggles. players would then have to act out their characters' actions without the benefit of seeing what other players are doing.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  06:14:33  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
on just a tiny bit more serious of a note, and without presuming to speak for Ed or THO, or anyone else, if you have access to the old gray box, you'll find a Realms that's much different than the one in 3.5 and 4e published stuff. i know "points of light" is a recent catchphrase, and probably has negative connotations for a lot of people, but I think it's a valid metaphor once you separate it from 4e's misguided priorities/execution. from what i've read, from THO and others who've watched Ed at play (because i really doubt he considers it work, when he's DMing his Realms) that's one way in which Ed's Realms is in fact "darker" than WotC's Realms... in the sense that the non-player points of light are fewer and dimmer. populations are smaller, levels are lower, and every sword and spell counts, because the bad guys are not the bumbling buffoons that they turn out to be in published books due to the perhaps-well-meaning butchery of editors who don't share Ed's (or our) passion, or at least who bow to such piddly gods as Pagecount and Deadline. players can make a much bigger difference in a world like that, where the npcs' power level is lower... where heroes are actually needed and thoroughly appreciated, in every hamlet you walk through, every single day. why do Elminster and Storm live in that dinky little hick town called Shadowdale? because they're needed there, in Ed's Realms. but in the published Realms, it looks silly for high-level NPCs to live in small towns, because half the commoners are flashlights, practically every town has a floodlight (a wizard of some power), and a party of PCs is like game night at a stadium. to (kinda) balance that, the bad guys have to get ever-more-powerful in each new book (especially given the moneygrubbing decision to keep advancing the official timeline), until eventually someone throws their hands up and says okay, that's it, we're going back to the level caps from first edition... at level 30, everybody will start an epic destiny whatchamacallit... because PCs and NPCs alike are getting so powerful that we can't figure out how to balance their game mechanics anymore.

anyway, i ramble sometimes. and exaggerate, and perhaps i'm a bit unfair to a few individual authors/designers, and i'm sure they'll pull me back toward the track. i don't know what the original person meant when they said Ed's Realms is darker. maybe they think casually tossing around terms like "coinlass" and having a few same-sex couples here and there makes the world a darker place somehow. i question their definition of darkness, if that's the case (and their intelligence) but that's just me. but i think the phrase actually fits in the sense of points of light... the PCs are brighter by comparison because everything else is a bit dimmer. when you save somebody's farm at level 20 or 30... yay. but when your party is a mix of levels 4-9, and you're the only thing standing between 11 grimly desperate level-0 farmers and a dragon who thinks farmer Bosgrove's pregant wife looks delicious... that's exciting. that victory is worth celebrating. that's how heroes should be. and i think that's Ed's Realms. darker everywhere else, but brighter wherever you are, because the only spotlight within 100 miles is directly over you.

just my impressions from lurking here and on the mailing list, and maybe reading into everything. sorry if i come off like putting words in your mouth/hands, THO. feel free to send Storm to kick my butt.

and now i'll go back to lurking, until i trip over another question to add to the pile.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 22 Jun 2012 07:15:16
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  12:29:21  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

As you'll see in my write-up of Gwydion (or did I post that already?), ...
Indeed, you did.

Barastir can find the post in question, here, among your 28 May 2012 replies.

I've already seen it, my thanks to both.

quote:
Hi again, all. Erendriel, Zireael and xaeyruudh's answers put together pretty much cover it, I think.

So I missed this one? Oh, man...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 22 Jun 2012 12:30:05
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  21:30:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
xaeyruudh, I think you put that VERY well. I'll ask Storm to kiss you, before AND after kicking your butt.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  22:09:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
quote:
xaeyruudh

... maybe [people] think casually tossing around terms like "coinlass" and having a few same-sex couples here and there makes [Ed's] world a darker place somehow ...

The haters are just gonna hate - and they would still libel and label - I can easily imagine the questions they'd troll out in response to a puritanical Realms which studiously avoids mentioning things like coinlasses and same-sex couples.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  00:23:37  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:

I'll ask Storm to kiss you, before AND after kicking your butt.

Ooo! do we have a smiley for that wide-eyed delighted breathless mumbling enthusiasm a birthday boy gets when he sees the ice cream cake with his name and 7 candles on it?

this brings up another question. are the Knights' and Seven Sisters' and others' favorite foods and drinks described anywhere?

because, well, if she's going to make the effort to come over here and kick me and kiss me... I'd be a complete fool not to put something good on the table to tempt her to stay for a while.

edited to include drinks!

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 23 Jun 2012 01:34:29
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  03:40:11  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I certainly recall SOME of those fave drinks and foods being mentioned before, but not all in one place. Ed did give us, way back in the 2004 version of this thread, the "Realms" names for established cocktails/mixed drinks enjoyed by the PLAYERS of the Knights up at his cottage. And I believe Ed said Laeral (it was Laeral who visited Steven Schend, to give lore for the Promenade article, wasn't it?) liked both Amaretto liqueur and "VERY dry Rieslings." Storm has been described as drinking several sorts of beverages, but I'm not sure any of them has been labelled as a favourite.
So, like our lovely THO says, we await Ed on this one . . .

BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  03:44:27  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Well, I distinctly remember observing an Ed-run Realms adventure at a GenCon in which he portrayed Storm and Alustriel eagerly snatching up goblets from a table, and Storm said: "Black cherry sherry - - my FAVOURITE!"
. . . But of course a lady might indulge in a little white lie to flatter a host, or her tastes might change, or she might not have qualified her answer by adding aloud: "Of the #@$%! you have on offer here!")
Heh. So it's back to Ed, after all . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  03:54:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
It is indeed.
I've just received a newsy e-mail from the man himself, which includes this, for xaeyruudh:

Well, concerning this: "So the family has completely dropped any once-known surname, and all just use "of Rallyhorn" ...what a humble bunch. The imaginary lord in my subconscious finds this practice gratifying (but dangerous) but the genealogist finds it wholly irksome."
. . . be not irked, friend xaeyruudh!
Glemmora and her fellow "servants of the household" haven't dropped their surnames, they just avoid using them when on their masters' business. It's an established way of transferring responsibility/consequences to the noble families they serve. In other words, Glemmora is saying: "Don't blame me, Glemmora Dornalhand - - blame Glemmora, the hand of Rallyhorn's will."
BTW, Glemmora's surname is "Dornalhand," but she has cousins in Suzail AND Daerlun who spell it "Dornalhond."
Hope this little elucidation is of help.

So saith Ed. Who has just polished off a swift Realms project, after bringing "a big and MOST enjoyable one" to a close, for now. He's a happy but VERY busy man right now, scribes. And is looking forward to meeting many of you at GenCon. (BTW, the Spin A Yarn from last year is done and was handed in a month ago, and I see on the Wizards page that it'll happen again this year.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  04:08:00  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
quote:

It is indeed.
I've just received a newsy e-mail from the man himself, which includes this, for xaeyruudh:

Well, concerning this: "So the family has completely dropped any once-known surname, and all just use "of Rallyhorn" ...what a humble bunch. The imaginary lord in my subconscious finds this practice gratifying (but dangerous) but the genealogist finds it wholly irksome."
Glemmora and her fellow "servants of the household" haven't dropped their surnames, they just avoid using them when on their masters' business. It's an established way of transferring responsibility/consequences to the noble families they serve. In other words, Glemmora is saying: "Don't blame me, Glemmora Dornalhand - - blame Glemmora, the hand of Rallyhorn's will."
BTW, Glemmora's surname is "Dornalhand," but she has cousins in Suzail AND Daerlun who spell it "Dornalhond."

So saith Ed. Who has just polished off a swift Realms project, after bringing "a big and MOST enjoyable one" to a close, for now. He's a happy but VERY busy man right now, scribes. And is looking forward to meeting many of you at GenCon. (BTW, the Spin A Yarn from last year is done and was handed in a month ago, and I see on the Wizards page that it'll happen again this year.)
love to all,
THO

Ooh, maybe Ed just finished work on the 5E Campaign Setting! :)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  04:37:22  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:

thank you! and the elucidation is most excellent, and i think i speak for everybody in saying that we're eager to see that most enjoyable project.

my eye is quick to pick out the Dornal there, but surely *that* Dornal wouldn't be connected to this family... would he? both he and they go back quite a long time, and it is a small world after all. (anybody getting the song stuck in their head? i did. *sigh*)

re: the players' mixed drinks list, i saw that again recently, and it made me unfurl my "Periodic Table of Mixology" poster, ... and then i wondered if some later post had already done the same thing. there's over 750 pages of posts now, just in Questions for Ed, and i'll admit to having not read every page, or at least not recently. and i think it was Laeral who talked to Steven. i read that once too, but i'd forgotten about it.

Storm and Alustriel blockading the refreshments table. another great visual.
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  04:59:46  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
xaeyruudh

... maybe [people] think casually tossing around terms like "coinlass" and having a few same-sex couples here and there makes [Ed's] world a darker place somehow ...

The haters are just gonna hate - and they would still libel and label - I can easily imagine the questions they'd troll out in response to a puritanical Realms which studiously avoids mentioning things like coinlasses and same-sex couples.

I have tended to notice that "darker" fantasy settings (such as Dragon Age and Warhammer) tend to have more evident expressions of these things, especially Dragon Age (which has a VERYvisible amount of same sex love and intimacy as well as visit-able, and usable, brothels with both male and female patrons catering to both genders and combinations of gender).

The darker fantasy settings have always appealed to me more because of their maturity.

Thank you everyone for your answers and guidance. I'll be looking forward to a reply, should Ed give me one :)

Can anyone help me with the second part? I'm hoping Ed or THO will give some official* answers.

*as in, Ed's realms

Edited by - Aryalómë on 23 Jun 2012 05:03:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000