Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  21:55:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Great question Jeremy - thanks for the answer THO (and Ed).

@Veritas - although 3e seem to have folded Elven High Magic into epic magic, in earlier editions there was a subtle difference - there is a divine component involved (making it similar in some ways to 'Southern Magic' - another oldy but goody we sadly lost).

So its not only about having the experience (power) and knowing the right rituals (knowledge), but the High magic itself needs an 'okay' by the Seldarine to work properly. In later years, archmages learned how to duplicate many of the effects without divine aid, hence epic magic. You'll note canonically there is a difference between normal mythals and the later-invented 'Arcane Mythals' - the old-school versions required that divine spark to create.

And before epic magic, there was level 10+ magic - both requiring The Weave (and the Weave itself may be that 'missing ingredient', and why they didn't need divine aid). I almost get the idea that the only real difference is that high Magic requires permission, and Weave magic needs no consent (which proved to be a fatal flaw for Mystryl).

At lest Corellon was smart-enough to control when his 'children' played with the toys. Anyhow, what this basically means is that even if you have all the knowledge in the world about something, it doesn't mean you can 'do it'. Absorbing all of Bruce Lee's knowledge will not make you a blackbelt.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 May 2012 21:59:02
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  22:07:10  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
I came back inside from working on the garden hoping there would be a response and low and behold there was.

Thank you both so much for the swift reply! I know that's not always possible, so it's doubly appreciated.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  00:42:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I have an idea for an NPC noble, who is head of his house and was shrunk down via magical calamity, for whom his wife is forced to find doll house-like accommodations while she looks for a cure and tries to hide his condition from rivals, war wizards, maybe the house wizard (during King Foril's reign, must all house wizards be war wizards?) and even the children, so any info you can provide would be most appreciated.

That's a nifty idea. I'd like to see more of it, when you are ready to share it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  02:23:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Caladnei and her successor Ganrahast are both far more rule-abiding than Vangerdahast when it comes to the rights of citizens (Vangey might privately say that non-Obarskyrs don't have any rights, just whatever privileges I allow them), but such things as wizards needing official Crown permission to work magic within the kingdom allows them to prevent Cormyreans hiring outlanders (unless the Crown allows them to; most don't even try).
Can you share anything further on Ganrahast's views on the rights of non-Obarskyrs in Cormyr, Ed?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  03:52:55  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message
quote:

...I would remind you that [the Srinhsee, Larloch, Ioulaum, and the Terraseer] have [] experimented with other systems of magic than just the Weave....

Ed's comment had me thinking.
3E saw an introduction of sorcerers who learned spells innately. Does some version of the sorcerer exist in your realms?

The Simbul's 3e "rules snapshot" (which we know isn't entirely accurate) recast her primarily as sorcereress but we saw she was an accomplished spellcrafter, developing spells that outstripped her snapshot wizardly capabilities. Was the 2e or 3e version of the Simbul closer to your vision of the character?

How did the sorcery of that era work? More specifically, were the sorcerers of that era generally tapping into the weave/shadow weave? Were sorcerers (generally) shaping spells that mimicked arcane spells, or were they channeling existing spells similar to how Midnight pulled spell rosters from the Weave. Could a sorcerer opt out, or explore non-weave magic, or was wizardly training and/or psionic powers necessary to recognize non-weave magic systems. Since their powers were, to a degree, innate, could a pure sorcerer experiment with other kinds of magic than the Weave? How?

And also, how did the heavyweights without divine assistance discover non-weave methods of accessing magic?

How different were the non-weave systems that were experimented with? What was different about them?

Are any of the non-weave systems still viable post spellplague? (NDA) :}

All these are but a grain of sand to the Anauroch of questions I'd love to ply Ed with. Ed and Lady THO have already lavished me with lore this day. I'm sure that many of these questions will run up to the NDA to some degree. If you are willing, can you speak to these questions to the extent permissible?

quote:

We "know" that Larloch surrounds himself with so many servitor liches that he can afford to sacrifice them like candy

That must be quite a few servitor liches considering that Larloch must have a legendary sweet tooth. Just look at those rotted teeth!

Edited by - Veritas on 06 May 2012 03:59:17
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  04:42:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hiya, all!
Veritas, sorcerers and sorceresses (people who could cast magic without needing somatic, verbal, or material components, and usually without selecting/memorizing anything before they unleashed magic) were in Ed's Realms from the beginning (as in, before D&D of any edition existed). Some NPC sorcerers/sorceresses got changed to magic users by TSR, when they first started publishing the Realms as a game setting.
I've sent your post to Ed for a proper reply, of course, but I think Ed's offline right now, rushing to finish something (he didn't say what, which means NDAs apply).
So hopefully we'll hear from him on the morrow . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  16:11:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
That was where I was actually starting to lean too, which is why I'm wondering.... did Mystra and her Chosen actually HELP Thay?

I too would love to hear more on whether Mystra and/or her Chosen were active in the Thayan rebellion.

My thoughts:
I would suspect that Mystra probably did and that mortal agents prodded and poked the rebels along (though whether these mortals served Mystra or another deity/demon/devil is up for discussion).

I think that Mystra's Chosen have actually been a lot more active in creating, shaping and balancing countries/kingdoms/realms albeit extremely subtly throughout the 'recent history' of the Realms as a whole.

A long time ago on the Realms mailing list Geroge Krashos and I had a series of back and forth posts about The Covenant, Nimoars Hold and Ahghairon and how Khelben/Mystra was manipulating the wizards of the Sword Coast North to create a stable environment for people to live and places to flourish. Krash ended one response with
"A tangled web indeed - but not outside the Realms of possibility. And
Khelben (in disguise) did tutor Ahghairon while he lived in Silverymoon and dropped out of sight in c. 956 DR. Hmm, interesting.:)"

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0503D&L=REALMS-L&P=R1566&I=-3

Am looking forward to further responses from the Lorelords of the Realms

Cheers

Damian

Yeah, as I think on it more.... Mystra MAY have aided in the formation of Thay... Mystra prevented her Chosen from wiping Thay from the face of the earth... did Mystra foresee something involving Thayan wizards that has yet to be revealed? Did she foresee Velsharoon's rise? Might they be involved in her return?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  17:23:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

quote:

...I would remind you that [the Srinhsee, Larloch, Ioulaum, and the Terraseer] have [] experimented with other systems of magic than just the Weave....

Ed's comment had me thinking.
3E saw an introduction of sorcerers who learned spells innately. Does some version of the sorcerer exist in your realms?

The Simbul's 3e "rules snapshot" (which we know isn't entirely accurate) recast her primarily as sorcereress but we saw she was an accomplished spellcrafter, developing spells that outstripped her snapshot wizardly capabilities. Was the 2e or 3e version of the Simbul closer to your vision of the character?

How did the sorcery of that era work? More specifically, were the sorcerers of that era generally tapping into the weave/shadow weave? Were sorcerers (generally) shaping spells that mimicked arcane spells, or were they channeling existing spells similar to how Midnight pulled spell rosters from the Weave. Could a sorcerer opt out, or explore non-weave magic, or was wizardly training and/or psionic powers necessary to recognize non-weave magic systems. Since their powers were, to a degree, innate, could a pure sorcerer experiment with other kinds of magic than the Weave? How?

And also, how did the heavyweights without divine assistance discover non-weave methods of accessing magic?

How different were the non-weave systems that were experimented with? What was different about them?

Are any of the non-weave systems still viable post spellplague? (NDA) :}

All these are but a grain of sand to the Anauroch of questions I'd love to ply Ed with. Ed and Lady THO have already lavished me with lore this day. I'm sure that many of these questions will run up to the NDA to some degree. If you are willing, can you speak to these questions to the extent permissible?

Just a note, if there were any "ultimate magus" prestige class NPC's in the realms, I'd believe that the Simbul would definitely be one of them. Since she has 32 levels, I'd personally put her as a 10th wiz / 1st sorceror / 10th ultimate magus/ 2nd archmage/ 9th master transmogrifist. The way I'd split up the caster levels would make it 19th sorceror and 17th wizard. This build takes into account that the Simbul has always been known as a master of shapechanging magics (thus the master trasmogrifist). There's another part of me that says take away 5 of the wizard levels and invest in dread witch (from heroes of horror), because she's "a witch" and she's always represented as giving off a vibe of someone to fear.... maybe its not coincidence. That would force the reduction in one of the caster levels though, but the ability to imbue a fear effect into 2 spells a day and thus increase their DC's by 2 just screams something the Simbul might do (and could help explain away the efficacy of her magic).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  18:00:43  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

Ed, I just finished reading your latest Eye on the Realms article (The Storm Bird in Dragon #411) and have a few questions:

How does Ithrim Cauldart, Purveyor to the Titled, do his side business of acting as the "voice of the nobles" exactly? Does he simply render their opinions as though such were his thoughts when he's amongst others and a topic comes up for which one of his noble clients has a strong opinion?

If so, does he turn conversation in the direction he wants so he can render such opinions?

Or does he get out in the middle of Waterdeep and announce things like a town crier, in the manner of "certain wise nobles see things thus..."?

Can you give us any hints as to the recent doings of Awntrus “Black Glove” Malaver when he was in Neverwinter?

Really great article Ed. I want to park the Storm Bird in the skies over Suzail on a stormy night, right over the heads of the PCs in my game as they are getting ready to rest and recuperate from their last adventure.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 06 May 2012 18:02:37
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  12:25:21  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Hi Ed, THO and sages!

I have a question for Ed that can be expanded to those who can help: which magic itens from Netheril were published into Realmsian canon? Are there other non-published items? I'm not refering to quasimagical items from the Netheril boxes, but to fully magical items, as developed by Ed - like blast scepters, for example. I'd also like to have the references of where (book name, Dragon or Dungeon magazine number) each item was published, if possible. Thank you in advance. :)

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  15:36:24  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

ED in your realms mindseye, would surviving a psionic attack be one of the most common ways for the survivor to manifest or unlock psionic power themselves? Also in your realms, is there anything illithids fear generally, are allergic too, causes them severe pain, discomfort?

I assume that any gathering of undead near illithid community is met with swift force, a whelming of thralls to evict the undead, would this be a general response? Are very powerful undead near illithid community constantly harassed or once a number of thralls are lost will community move itself? I've always wondered if Illithids have developed a certain warrior class to combat undead and constructs in particular.

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  17:49:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I was just doing some research to prove a point - a point I no longer care about - and came across some things in various sources that when put-together are rather interesting.

Phaerimm used Arcane energy almost like a food source. They did NOT create magic-dead zones like I thought, but rather, drained magics from sources, which means they need active magic to survive - a dead magic zone would leave them in worse shape then it would a normal mage.

This behavior is not unlike Elminster (and The Simbul) in the 4e era.

Could Phaerimm somehow be whats left of a race with Chosen-like powers? That whatever fire/weave/etc they once fed off of is gone, and now they are stuck feeding off whatever they can find?

How is it possible sharn-magic is effective against them (The Sharnwall)? As far as I know, the only magic that they have trouble with is shadow-magic. I haven't finished RotAW yet, so if the answer lies within, my apologies.

Shar seemed convinced her Weave could survive without Mytsra's Weave, despite prophesy to the contrary - what made her think she could still achieve a victory? Does this have anything to do with mortal belief/faith/perception?

Did you have anything to with the lore provided in the final three super-modules released in 3e? Specifically, the stuff surrounding Auguthra? Was it at least based upon stuff you had worked-out? Are shadow-shards pieces of the Black Star?

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Also in your realms, is there anything illithids fear generally, are allergic too, causes them severe pain, discomfort?
In The Illithiad, it says they fear undead, because they move silently and their infravision cannot detect them (undead are 'room temperture'). However, 3e got rid of Infravision, so YMMV.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 May 2012 17:52:42
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  02:05:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

So they also fear the undead version of their kind---the illithiliches? Given that certain kind of undead still have some semblance of a mind, shouldn't illithids still be able to detect and control them?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  18:31:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Nope - undead are immune to psionics (at least they were in 2e). IIRC, Illithids can't even mentally perceive Undead because of that.

Sorry for the side-tangent, mods. Perhaps I should ask another question -

Where does the energy for the weave itself come from? is it the body of the goddess, and is Silver Fire the physical embodiment of that? (sort of like blood is in a mortal.) If 'Mystra IS the Weave' holds true, then wouldn't they need a power-source to rebuild her? Or is all that energy still present, just not 'contained'?

yeah... I know... a doozy of a spur-of-the-moment query. I'm not really expecting an answer, other then 'NDA'.

Edited by - Markustay on 09 May 2012 18:33:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  18:41:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Where does the energy for the weave itself come from?

Midichlorians.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:16:13  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Well will add that, Ed in your realms, who continues to have infravision? Smile.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:28:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, Ed has answered that one scores of times, so I can easily remember his replies well enough to paraphrase:

The Weave is ONE way of harnessing all of the innate energies of the world: wind, tidal, solar, kinetic, convection/heat, gravity, combustion, waterflow, magnetic, et al. It is powered and renewed by all of these energies continually flowing through it. A constant huge stream of them, so vast that it seems endless/inexhaustible. The Weave itself is a network of usually-invisible linkages, made up of Mystra/Azuth/Savras/Lurue/elven deitis of magic/Velsharoon? (the divine fire, akin to silver fire), and "anchored" by beings (the Chosen) who have silver fire within them, and servitors of Mystra who are bound to places ("place spirits") that are centers ("nodes") of the same energies that make up the silver fire. The simplified metaphor for the Weave is a gigantic invisible silver net or irregular mesh, but it's far more complex than that. (However, just as many drivers couldn't fix most problems with their cars, and have varying degrees of "general ideas" of how their car works, most spellcasters can think of the Weave as a net and cast spells and never need to delve deeper.)

There. So saith me, channeling Ed. That's the quick-n-dirty (my favourite style ) version of the Weave. So yes, Mystra is the Weave, and yes, all that energy is always there; the Weave is a way of channeling its flows (not "containing" it, until you're speaking of spells, which do snatch a bottleful of Weave energy and allow it to be transported and then unleashed later as a specific effect).
The Weave, BTW, is subtly everchanging,and so is the way the most enlightened beings think of it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:50:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ahhhh, okay. got it.

Didn't think I could get a deeper understanding of what the Weave is until now - I guess my metaphor of magic being the 'electricity of the fantasy genre' is apt, because it seems to have many of the same power-sources (wind, tidal, hydro, geothermal, etc).

Hmmmmm... the connection/comparison may even go deeper - many folks think electricity is 'alive'.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 May 2012 17:46:26
Go to Top of Page

NineCoronas
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  23:57:31  Show Profile Send NineCoronas a Private Message
I have a question Mr. Greenwood.

I am designing a module for Neverwinter Nights and wrote an in-character "Volo's Guide to the Lluirwood" and would love for you to take a look at it to see what you think, and possibly if you have time, offer some suggestions on making it more in line with the Volo's Guide series.

If this interests you, let me know and I will send you the document (It's only five pages in MS office).

Thanks in advance!

-NineCoronas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  01:16:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Midichlorians.

And Maxichlorians came from the Shadow Weave. Hehe...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  17:54:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I hated that plot device. It was also stolen - read The Starchild Trilogy. Mediclorines = Fusorians.

For a guy who sued a lot of people back in the day, he sure did 'borrow' quite a bit himself.

I don't like George Lucas and I don't care for SW - he took what others had been writing for a century, boiled it down to the lowest common denominators, and applied modern technology (special effects) to it. A genius he is not; a good businessman, definitely.

New (related) question for Ed:
Is the Elemental Maelstrom (both the original state of the universe and its new incarnation) an example of a region where there is NO Weave/web/magical interface? In your opinion, of course, since I know that falls slightly outside your purview (I can't quite figure out where core ends, and FR begins in 4e).

Edited by - Markustay on 10 May 2012 17:55:13
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  01:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Midichlorians.

Trying not to hate you both, because this 10-day-old little girl in my arms doesn't need to be exposed to such venomous energy....

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  02:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message
Hello thar' Ed and his enduring medium, The Hooded One.

My question is:

Timekeeping and the 'civilized' societies of the Underdark. How does it work, if at all?

Now that's out there, I'll push on into the gravy-like queries and seasonings that hope to round out the dish beyond mere necessity.

I've found scant lore on time-keeping among societies in the Underdark and have generally developed various off-the-cuff answers to the players questions. Often I've had cultures that didn't have much concept of time, for instance one tribe of Stone Giants marked significant events in pictograms around their caves (the more space pictures of a particular event took up, the longer they lasted) but had little understanding about how long it has been between events. Do primitive cultures of the Underdark bother marking events or do most simply "live in the present", relying on elders to pass on stories.

However, such ignorance doesn't seem plausible when it comes to developed societies like Drow or Duergar where organisiation and large-scale co-ordination are much more important. Do all drow city's have a Norbondel? What about places like Maerimydra which had greater links with the surface, would they have scouts keeping tabs on the passage of the sun?

Any and all information on this rather beshadowed topic will be heartily gobbled up.

-Eli the Tanner

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
67 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  17:12:58  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message
I have a question for Ed or someone who can answer (so no need to bother Ed).

The mortals of the Realms have known of the divine hierarchy (Great Power, Intermediate Power, Lesser Power, Demipower and Quasi-powers)?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  23:55:39  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rodrigoalcanza
The mortals of the Realms have known of the divine hierarchy (Great Power, Intermediate Power, Lesser Power, Demipower and Quasi-powers)?

Thanks!

I would say yes but in a vague way. That is ordinary people would have an idea of who the powerful gods are and also that some gods serve others so therefore are probably less powerful (so Torm and Ilmater serve Tyr - Tyr is therefore to mortals the greater god and the other two 'lesser' gods).

I am sure they would also recognise local deities as demi-powers though they may not call them that,(i.e. Shiallia, the various beast cults, sword cults, Gwaeron Windstrom etc) and understand that their area of influence is quite small compared to the power of Lathander who rises up every morning across the whole of Faerun.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Damian
ps I am also sure that the priests of the deities all claim that their god is more powerful that what it actually is and that their god outranks this and that other god and tell the common folk to disbelieve the lies spread by the others and embrace the truth of their god

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  01:14:54  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Midichlorians.

Aaaaannnnd... tenebrous means dark/shadowy, so Shar is Tenebrous's Mom! ("I am your mother!"... "NOooooOOOoo!")

Therefore, Darth Tenebrous = Mask.

Q.E.D.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  01:56:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

quote:

quote:

Midichlorians.

Aaaaannnnd... tenebrous means dark/shadowy, so Shar is Tenebrous's Mom! ("I am your mother!"... "NOooooOOOoo!")

Q.E.D.
I see someone has been reading up on their Plagueis-lore, eh?

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  02:25:02  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

quote:

quote:

Midichlorians.

Q.E.D.
I see someone has been reading up on their Plagueis-lore, eh?

Ties together with the *(cough)* SpellPlagueis as well.

Feel free to groan, heh!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  06:07:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Something tells me authors should not write for both IPs.

The cross-pollination is unsettling.

New Question:
Is there something like this in FR? Not precisely the midichlorian thing - more like some innate ability that some are born with, like Spellfire, the Incipient Clans, and even Elminster? Perhaps a natural psionic gift, which is actually the ability to access certain parts of the brain humans normally can't? Obviously, this is something that can be 'bred for' (in SotM), but can it also be gifted, or 'awakened'? Or is it truly more like midichlorines, except instead of being a physical (microscopic symbiote) thing, its more like a metaphysical 'virus' - something a person can get or has, that can become stronger, and attract magical energies the way a magnet does ferrous material? In other words, does it come from within, or is it something foreign and introduced into humanity?

Edited by - Markustay on 12 May 2012 06:15:18
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  18:33:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I just got an e-mail from Ed responding to these queries, from scribe Jeremy: "The article got me to thinking about rival establishments in Waterdeep deciding to set up their own actively haunted doors or rooms, to get a slice of some of the Inn of the Dripping Dagger’s business.
On average, would you say it’s more likely inn owners would:
1)Look to acquire (by theft or purchase) haunted doors or items of furniture from other parts of Waterdeep?
2)Send adventurers or other agents into Undermountain to find, remove and haul back up haunted doors or objects?
3)Hire spellcasters or even priests to bind minor hauntings to objects already to be found at the Inn?
Or is it safer to say all of these gambits will be tried, by one or more inn owners looking to drum up business? Are there any other tactics besides these that come immediately to mind?"
Ed replies:

Certainly. The most popular tactic would be to "stage" a dramatic haunting (done by affordable middling-level mages visiting the city and contract-bonded to keep quiet about what they've done) to get local rumors going - - which should do the rest, if the incident is dramatic enough and at least one socially-active local personage is present to witness/experience it.
All of the tactics you mention have been tried, and still are from time to time, but there are drawbacks to all of them:
For Number 1: You're acquiring "old hat" hauntings that may have been used to engage the public before, and word may get around that they were shadily acquired (if they were).
For Number 2: Usually more expensive than effective - - unless you also concoct a dramatic story about why adventurers need go down into Undermountain (perhaps to "lay" the ghost by fulfilling its unfinished business/getting revenge in Skullport, or some such; bringing sad love matters to a happy end is especially popular).
For Number 3: Expense, plus the possibility of word getting out about was done (from the hired spellcasters, if they're local residents). If discretion and "grabbing" results can be assured, this can be very effective. Nobles do it often, because the cachet of having LOTS of the "right sort of" hauntings (eccentric spectral serving-jacks, haughty female ancestors who sweep majestically about, spectacularly clad, etc.) in their Waterdhavian mansions is highly prized.
I hope this is of help.

So saith Ed. Who will get to replying to you about The Storm Bird when he can (he is frantically busy writing right now).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000