Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  09:13:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Hi, Therise! Well, it DOES depend. :}
Especially on whether or not it’s daylight, and what the weather is like (lashing rain or freezing temperatures aren’t just hard on drovers and animals, they ruin some cargoes).

An average day might see ten to fourteen of these sorts of 8-16 wagon “runs.” As I said, it’s a busy road.
Hope I’ve been of help.

Very helpful Ed many thanks.

Awhile back THO said that food went to Sembia and wines and good cloth came back into Cormyr. Is there any more 'bread and butter' trade goods that pass between those two countries, am trying to build up a picture of trade goods for my nosy players to stick their noses into

And talking about nosy adventurers, how much brigandage is there on the Way of the Manticore (and any natural choke points they wait around)? are there a series of fortified inns/waystations that are a 'day' apart to provide shelter for the merchants? Any regular peddlars that ship 'unusual' goods (a soap man, the potion seller etc).

Best to all

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  09:47:36  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message
Ahem, it's been a while.

To echo and second slevyas's question, one of my players is somewhat gaga over what sorts of useful things (armor, weapons, clothing, gear) can be made from "monster parts", so I too would appreciate any such Realmsian items you can share or suggest.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  12:09:36  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all!

A few days back, in this thread, scribe Therise asked:
“Another quick question about trade caravans and merchants (...)

Well, here’s a response from Ed:

Hi, Therise! Well, it DOES depend. :}
(...) As I said, it’s a busy road.
Hope I’ve been of help.

Hi, Ed!

Could you please tell us about the trade caravans between Scornubel and Waterdeep, and specify the movement between Way Inn and the City of Splendors, around 1368 DR? How about the role of the trading companies? Do they usually have 20+ merchants? How about protection?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 12 Apr 2012 12:10:02
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  16:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi, Barastir. I'm not Ed or THO, obviously, but Ed wrote an entire novel (Hand of Fire, the last of the Spellfire/Shandril trilogy) centered on caravans operating out of Scornubel to Waterdeep, Elturel, Silverymoon, and points north.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  16:36:32  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
Thanks Ed and THO! This was -very- helpful, and it's great to hear just how busy the Realmsian roads actually are!

I really appreciate it! =)

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  17:05:48  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Hi THO, ED.

There's a minor character from Spellfire (with a bit of interesting detail written up in the Saerloon entry of the FRA hardcover book) named Salvarad, who was a Sembian Cult of the Dragon leader. He was mentioned as one of the single greatest forces of evil in the Dragonreach. He seemed to be the only one who took Shandril as a serious threat and warned them to stop seeking her. Sadly he didn't show up in later Cult of the Dragon related novels and was minorly mentioned in some of the 3rd edition source material. Can Ed tell me/us anything about his life and what he got up to? As a Shar and Cyric worshipper I wonder how he was affected by the Spellplague events. Any info would be greatly appreciated! It's funny how minor characters can stick with us...

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  21:25:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Damian, re. this: "Awhile back THO said that food went to Sembia and wines and good cloth came back into Cormyr. Is there any more 'bread and butter' trade goods that pass between those two countries, am trying to build up a picture of trade goods for my nosy players to stick their noses into."
I've sent your post to Ed for a proper reply, of course, but we've spoken about this very topic recently, in our own campaign, and the short reply re. trade goods passing along that road is: EVERYTHING.
As in: anything that isn't really bulky yet not harmed by damp (because heavy bulk cargoes like charcoal and lumber and stone often go by ship, along the Dragon Coast - - but everything else goes by wagon). Cormyr is the source for a lot of "raw materials" (pigment for paintings and frames, finishes for furniture AND the wood for that same furniture, metal ingots for use in making wire and fine castings, etc.) that Sembian firms and crafters use in making "finished goods").
Ed will provide proper details, of course, but those wagons could have just about EVERYTHING: raw or refined materials/ingredients, and horse-related finished goods like tack and harness, going from Cormyr to Sembia - - and all the "finished" goods made from them, going from Sembia to Cormyr (and, via the caravans overland through the Heartlands, on to the Sword Coast).
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Apr 2012 21:54:26
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  03:09:47  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
I've sent your post to Ed for a proper reply, of course, but we've spoken about this very topic recently, in our own campaign, and the short reply re. trade goods passing along that road is: EVERYTHING.

love,
THO

Thank you muchly Good Lady Herald, duly added to the campaign notes for future reference.

Kind regards

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  14:31:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

Ahem, it's been a while.

To echo and second slevyas's question, one of my players is somewhat gaga over what sorts of useful things (armor, weapons, clothing, gear) can be made from "monster parts", so I too would appreciate any such Realmsian items you can share or suggest.

Yeah, my thoughts centered around lingerie just to point out other options. However, it'd be interesting to hear any other alternate uses (and maybe it might be worth spinning off another thread for this). As odd as it may sound, a vase filled with decorated and preserved beholder eyestalks could be interesting. Maybe the wings of dead harpies/ griffins / pegasi, etc... are animated and used literally as fans in a throne room.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  15:53:16  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
Is Maos (the rising island in the moonsea) an invention of Terra or is their an Ed influence for this?
Go to Top of Page

thomaslove92
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  15:12:37  Show Profile Send thomaslove92 a Private Message
Hi there, my question is regarding the script Thorass. Does it have different case letters? e.g. Aa Bb

Thanks - Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  19:17:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Did Ed ever 'do' anything with the Alaghi? Were they his creation? Anything at all you can share with us?
quote:

Hi again, fellow scribes.
Markustay, sorry for my mistyping glitch in my post about the award nominees.
SOLACE IN SO MANY WORDS is an anthology with many, many contributors (from Weighted Words, edited by Beals, etc. etc.). So it's by a whole lot of folks.
Ah, okay - I got confused. I thought you were giving us a list of stories in the volume Ed co-edited.

EDIT: How do I apply to get into an anthology?

(I only ask this because I had a doozy that would have fit the 'Heroes come home' theme perfectly... but it was set in the Realms, so it probably couldn't have gotten published anyway).

It's more of a 'when heroes don't make it home' story, actually.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Apr 2012 19:25:33
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2012 :  16:10:39  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hi, Barastir. I'm not Ed or THO, obviously, but Ed wrote an entire novel (Hand of Fire, the last of the Spellfire/Shandril trilogy) centered on caravans operating out of Scornubel to Waterdeep, Elturel, Silverymoon, and points north.
BB

Thank you, Blueblade. But those books reveal the size and frequency of caravans there, just like the answer to Therise deals with Cormyrean traders? I wanted some info because in my game the PCs usually travel a lot through the Daggerford - Waterdeep road, and now they will start going further to the south.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  17:17:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. As many people besides Ed have discovered, taking time out to attend a convention (no matter how much fun it is, or work you get done there, and Ed tells me Ad Astra came through on both fronts) means you have to work doubly hard when you get back, to deal with everything that's piled up whilst you've been away.
So Ed and I had a phone chat last night (one of many for him), and I am hereby empowered to answer a few queries:

Rhewtani, Maos is a Terra addition. However (see the Bell In The Depths, discussed years back in this thread) this is a recurring Ed theme for the Moonsea from its creation (pre-TSR, pre-D&D).

thomaslove92, Thorass does indeed have upper and lower case letters, but uppers are usually used to begin names, NOT to begin sentences (there's a vertical stroke to do that). There are also no question marks; a query is signaled by turning the last letter (that in written English would precede a question mark) from vertical to horizontal.

Markustay, many anthologies (including the Gabrielle and Ed ones, thus far, and the Realms anthologies to date) are "invitation only" rather than "open," so managing that first step to being considered can be a difficult one. The best way to get noticed is by writing superb fiction of your own and either posting it online for free where it will get noticed, or by following the rules and getting into print in, say, BLACK GATE. Small presses (like ChiZine for horror, Dragon Moon Press, and others) can be good "open" markets if your stuff matches what they want to print . . . but if I were you, I'd write that idea up into the best non-Realms story you can, then show it to Gabrielle and Ed. It just might wind up in a future anthology. If not, Ed can help you shop it to the best places for it to get snapped up.

sleyvas, one "critter part" use I recall from early Realmsplay with Ed as DM is that catoblepas skulls, cleaned out and inverted, make perfect hard, durable bowls that can take almost any sort of abuse (freezing, being whacked by really enthusiastic mixing and stirring activities, even turned the other way up to serve as stepstools or to raise furniture) without cracking, leaking, etc. Morkoth stomach linings make self-sealing bladders for liquid storage and transport, that last for years if kept out of the sun. And so on. Ed will provide more specifics when he can snatch the time.

And that's it for the moment. Ed promises to provide what he can, as soon as he can. He just has to recover from Ad Astra (and adds, "Ladies: thanks for the wine and the corsets and getting to watch them being put on. Sheer bliss. And it doesn't hurt that you are ALL superb storytellers who gave me great reads, too!")
love to all,
THO
P.S. Gabrielle, I didn't make it to the con this year, but I understand Blueblade did, at least fleetingly. So we may or may not see a "tell all" report. I did come across an e-mail from him about a fun party in the penthouse, and Ed singing G&S with Jess and Adrienne Kress, so...
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  00:09:25  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
I am trying to post a pick here of the alternative images of Elminster, for Ed's opinion as well as his fans.

So...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/Dragons_Eye_View_4-18_ElminsterConcepts.jpg

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/20120418

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  00:21:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I am trying to post a pick here of the alternative images of Elminster, for Ed's opinion as well as his fans.

So...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/Dragons_Eye_View_4-18_ElminsterConcepts.jpg

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/20120418

picture B would be the closer of the two. Longer beard with the pipe. Remember, for as much as we like the old wizard, he does fair a surpassing resemblance to an old goat (successfully makes save v/s polymorph spell to turn Slevyas into a goat).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  11:22:50  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
A question for Ed on the nature of the ability of Chosen to detect magical energies. As I recall, Elminster uses it at one point, "scouting ahead" to investigate the traps lying in wait for him and thereby avoid them. In game terms, this seems to usually be represented by an always-on ability identical to the Detect Magic spell.

Is that all there is to the ability? Or does it have other functions and operations that may be kept quiet by the Chosen for one reason or another? Is it the sort of ability that's "always on" but takes a bit to kick into gear (for lack of a better term) if they want to use it?

And to the Chosen, what is the visual representation of the power? The spell is usually described as revealing magical auras around magic items, spells, emanations and the like. Is it identical? Are the auras colour-coded to any extent, perhaps? Or do you tell the differences through the way the aura reacts or "moves" in response to manipulation (e.g. a wizard activating a wand, a warrior swinging a sword, magic armour turning aside a blow with its enhanced protection) by external effects? Or something else entirely?

I suppose, when you get down to it, I'd like to know as much as Ed can tell us about this ability, or whether or not it's as simple as "always-on Detect Magic" the way the tabletop portrays it.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  10:44:21  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed,
I planned to guide my PCs to explore the Caverns of the claws near Eveningstar. Here are my questions, maybe NDA doesn't concern all of them :

1. What is the main entrance of such a network of galleries ? I assume it can't be very visible, right ?

2. How many levels of caves exist in these Caverns ? Is it just a main level very expanded or a many levels network ?

3. I choose the option of a deepspawn's lair. How the deepspawn can spawn a "powerful spawn", more powerful than others trolls spawned of the network ? What happened at first ? Why does the deepspawn doesn't spawn ONLY powerful spawn ?

4. Bonus question : How many trolls can be reasonably put there ? I suppose if there were too many, War Wizards or Purple Dragons should have definitely cleaned the network and collapse the tunnels...

Excuse my english, I do my best.
Thanks.
Marco

Edited by - Marco Volo on 20 Apr 2012 17:12:52
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  20:13:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you for your response, THO.

I fear I couldn't possibly do that story justice anywhere BUT in the Realms. Its set immediately after the fall of Mystra, when The North was in turmoil, and several groups were raising armies 'just in case' (and even the 'good guys' were resorting to conscription).

Its a very sad story about loss, and was inspired by a magnificent piece I read years ago, about a mother who lost her son during Korea. That story moved me so greatly I still 'tear up' (and falls WAY outside of my normal reading genres). I wanted to showcase how everyone (in the Realms) has a story, and not every hero has to 'slay a dragon'.

Awhile back several Realms-writers offered me advice (here, in the 'ask the authors' thread), when I stated I have my own HB world, but I can think of no stories I want to write about in it. Yet, I can think of dozens of stories I want to write in every nook & cranny of the Realms. The advice they gave was the same as yours - take that realms story and just make it fit your world.

Unfortunately, its just not the same. Despite all the detail I have come-up with (for my own realms), I just don't care enough about the characters - they seem two-dimensional, whereas the realms feels like its alive. I can't explain it. I'm stuck in a loop - I can't write about stuff I don't care about, and I can't care about stuff I haven't read about.

Ed: How did you breath life into your characters, before you ever wrote about them? Did you envision real, living people before you even set pen to page?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Apr 2012 20:14:49
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2012 :  04:25:45  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Ed: How did you breath life into your characters, before you ever wrote about them? Did you envision real, living people before you even set pen to page?
The instructor for a writing course I took at Stanford once had the class envision the mundane things you'd probably never write about for the main character in your novel, then asked us to write for 15 minutes about what was in our character's closet.

After that we moved on to 15 minutes of what's under their bed.

Whenever I get stuck on a character I try to do exercises like these because they help me build the world around a character, which informs me about the character and gets me back on track to writing.

By the way: this is another reason why the Volo's Guides kick ass when it comes to creating and roleplaying NPCs, because they take care of the essential, human level world building; what people do, how the world effects them and what it's like for them to live their lives in a place filled with magic, etc.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2012 :  16:15:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed will be back with more Realmslore replies soon, but in the meantime...
Markustay, I didn't mean revamp your tale to fit your world now, I mean write it as a Realms tale, let what grabs you about the Realms breathe life and fire into the story until it's done, enjoy it as the best darned Realms tale you can write...
And THEN sit down and try to think of the best alternative names for characters and places to make it a non-Realms story. Apply them. You'll still have the "fire" that drove you to tell the tale, you can even point out that "XXXX is Cormyr" and "ZZZZ is Szass Tam" (or whatever)... but it's not BALDLY a Realms story.
And if it's good enough, and put in front of the right people, it could even back its way, someday, into officially becoming a Realms story . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2012 :  16:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
This time last week, I was trying to get to Ad Astra to take in some Ed wisdom. Yes, I made it, but have been so busy at work in the aftermath of attending that it's taken me until now to post this.
The con is a small, friendly local con, but Canada's oldest sf/fantasy/steampunk/etc. con (31st year, this time around), and it moved to a new hotel this year, which lead to some crowding problems (panels in small hotel guest rooms!). I don't want to bore everyone with a long convention report, but here are some highlights:
• A Voice Acting (and advice for authors on reading their own work aloud in public) panel with Kathryn Kramer, Adrienne Kress, and Ed. Adrienne wins the beauty contest, but after this panel I am in awe of Ed's vocal range, acting abilities, and sensitivity.
• The Dragon Moon Press launch party. A cavalcade of beautiful ladies who write and edit books (and fill corsets well: take a well-deserved bow, Gabrielle Harbowy!), and yes, there was Ed in a corner singing snatches of Gilbert & Sullivan with J.M. Frey and Adrienne Kress (again). Impressive readings from their brand-new novels by Leah Petersen and Marie Bilodeau. Nice people, and it showed.
• A panel on creating cultures for fantastic fiction. GoH Harry Turtledove and Ed are either good friends or got along really well on first acquaintance, and this turned into a fascinating discussion among all the panelists and audience crammed into the room, with Harry and Ed contributing the best observations and playing off each other very well.
• A chance to have a good long chat with Ed about the Realms and what gaming means to him and approaches to fantasy fiction. He is a nice, generous, friendly guy who values friendships above all else.
He's also bullish on the future of the Realms, telling me he's very pleased and impressed with what's being prepared behind the scenes. He hopes longtime Realms fans and freelancers will embrace the Realms again when they see what's going to be coming out over the next few years.
• Ed bought a LORDS OF WATERDEEP game from a vendor at the con, opened it up, and invited some bored parents of fans to play it while their kids shopped and went to panels. They played for hours, that vendor got a few orders for more copies on the spot, and Ed gave the game to one mother whose kids didn't want to part with it. I didn't play, but kept drifting by to watch for a few minutes, and enjoyed the fun. The really funny thing was that the parents couldn't believe this friendly bearded Canadian guy sitting with them could have any connection to a published boardgame. Heh. Wait'll their kids bring home the comic books...
My only regret is that I couldn't find Gabrielle Harbowy's reading, and missed it. Ed said it was great - - and ALSO held in someone's guest room, with the authors sitting on the bed!
I've heard the con will be at the same hotel next year, and I'm going! It's a fiction and cosplay con more than a gaming con, but the chance to talk to Ed and other creatives face to face is golden.
Great times!
BB

Edit: spelling. Of course.

Edited by - Blueblade on 21 Apr 2012 16:40:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2012 :  06:23:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

He's also bullish on the future of the Realms, telling me he's very pleased and impressed with what's being prepared behind the scenes. He hopes longtime Realms fans and freelancers will embrace the Realms again when they see what's going to be coming out over the next few years.

I want to echo this -- Ed said much the same thing to me in a recent email.

To paraphrase an old line: If Ed's happy about the Realms, I'm happy about the Realms!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Apr 2012 06:24:40
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2012 :  08:35:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I'll definitively echo those above sentiments from the Furried Hamster.

Additionally:-
quote:

• Ed bought a LORDS OF WATERDEEP game from a vendor at the con, opened it up, and invited some bored parents of fans to play it while their kids shopped and went to panels. They played for hours, that vendor got a few orders for more copies on the spot, and Ed gave the game to one mother whose kids didn't want to part with it. I didn't play, but kept drifting by to watch for a few minutes, and enjoyed the fun. The really funny thing was that the parents couldn't believe this friendly bearded Canadian guy sitting with them could have any connection to a published boardgame. Heh. Wait'll their kids bring home the comic books...
I finally managed to pick up a copy of the LORDS OF WATERDEEP game myself. Two, in fact, since I want to keep a box sealed for storage. Hehe...

Anyways, I'm kind of disappointed with the reality that I don't have any folk to play the game with around here. None of my regular campaign players are interested in the board game, despite the fact that it's set in Waterdeep, so I'm stuck without an opportunity to experience this awesome new platform for Realms-gaming.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2012 :  06:52:02  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

...so I'm stuck without an opportunity to experience this awesome new platform for Realms-gaming.
Hrm...does the game lend itself to play-by-skype at all? I still don't own a copy, but if others do perhaps you can play that way?

A question or four for Ed: the night helms that Targrael was searching for in Bury Elminster Deep (page 58) are very interesting.

I'm curious if it's true that Caladnei ordered more of them created and, if yes, whether any of those kept in guarded storage have ever been stolen?

Have they ever been used for something besides defending a royal on the run?

Do night helms share their origin with the helms used by the Masked Lords of Waterdeep?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 23 Apr 2012 06:56:12
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  04:19:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@Ed (& THO) - thanks for the vote of confidence - I'm still chipping-away at a seed of an idea for a different tale (more generic, but still 'Realmsish').

@Wooly - I haven't gotten a private E-Mail, but I gotten the same 'vibe' anyhow, which is why I am trying my best to remain positive (or at the very least, neutral-toned).

@Sage - I feel your pain - I had many games (now gone) that never got played, including the cool-looking House on the Hill. It does get hard to find good all-around gamers these days.

@Jeremy - Great advice! I've been doing something along those lines - placing all the major characters in one-on-one dialogues, so I can get the feel of all the deeper intricacies (its a format I've seen used in campaign guides - little snippets of the world before each chapter - and it seems like a good approach). I'll have to give more thought to the "whats in the closet" approach - I like it! Thanks.

I guess I should ask another question - I was just re-reading the Swordcoast Volo Guide (trying to find something for Erik Boyd in another thread), and I noticed Larloch is referred to as 'the Shadow Ring"... care to explain that title?

I found that oddly fitting, because in another thread I compared a portal network to a 'magical web', like a Weave (or any other 'network of power', like ley-lines). A ring happens to be another type of 'closed' network - could that be a reference to his goals, rather then some piece of jewelry or the like?

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Apr 2012 04:21:20
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  11:19:11  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
I guess I should ask another question - I was just re-reading the Swordcoast Volo Guide (trying to find something for Erik Boyd in another thread), and I noticed Larloch is referred to as 'the Shadow Ring"... care to explain that title?

I'm not Ed, but... Have you seen it in a digital version of the book? Is it possible that it was intended to be "Shadow King", and some mistake occurred in the conversion? I'll try to check both versions - printed and digital - at home, tonight. Besides, I only remember Larloch being the leader of a sort or circle of liches.

EDIT: As I guessed, my PDF version has "Shadow Ring" where my printed version has "Shadow King". Certainly a conversion problem.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 26 Apr 2012 11:18:26
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2012 :  23:56:28  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
A question for ED, in your professional oppinion, how would this retcon affect the 4e novels.

retcon: with the death of mystra, those who could channel spellfire were long forgotten and these days those who can tap into the remains of the spellfire are considered to have the spell plague with some positive and negative effects.
(this is just for pcs and npcs not the areas messed up by the spell plague, such as the lost of unther,matizca,mulhaundc antspellitanyway, halruua etc)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  18:33:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks Barastir - I hadn't thought of that.

I have next-to-nothing in hard-copy these days... I think I miss my Volo guides most of all (or, at least as much as the OGB).

Still, that title gives him some sort of ambiguous connection to Shar.

@Sfdragon - I liken Spellfire users to The Scarlet Witch, myself - she taps directly into 'chaos', which is where nearly all magic comes from in the Marvel universe. When she visieted the 'DC Earth' (in a cross-over), her powers increased exponentially, because chaos was FAR more powerful there. She also could barely keep control of them - they were running wild, and she even passed-out (IIRC). I think a Spellfire user in a Weaveless Realms would have mush the same problems (also, a bit like The Chosen during the ToT). Just my 2 cents.

New Question: This might be one THO can answer directly - were there any 'Illithids of note' in Ed's Realms that he could possibly share with us? I get the feeling he likes beholders & dopplegangers, but did he use Mind Flayers much?

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Apr 2012 18:41:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  19:10:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Still, that title gives him some sort of ambiguous connection to Shar.

Not really... Anyone acting behind the scenes is referred to as acting in (or from) the shadows. Calling Larly the Shadow King could be simple acknowledgement that he's the grand pooh-ba of acting unseen.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000