Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  08:01:49  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I was reading through the 2E Dwarves Deep book and I was wondering if there is anything more you could tell us about the dwarven High Moot held northeast of Waterdeep or the Deep Moot held in the Great Rift? Are these trademoots of the stout folk or something more? I would love to know more about these if possible as I haven't been able to find any more information on them. Thank you both. :)
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  22:03:47  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message
Are there ethnic divisions among the subraces of demihumans, or do subraces play the role ethnicities would among humans? For example, would a Drow from Menzoberranzan be able to tell a Drow came from the group of Drow beneath Dambrath, for instance?
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2012 :  00:25:35  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I love adding to the growing pile of questions!!!

What can you say about Nesherrlageth, Queen of Medusa?

If Bane were subject to the attack by a host of other dieties,
who would come and assist in his defense?

Is there any story elements that you can share about the Metatext
of Deneir?

Hope the weather is as nice up north as here in St Louis!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2012 :  15:39:24  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
I'm going to ask some basic and fun questions, inspired by my recent purchase of Easter/Passover chocolate coins at a local Walgreens. Inside the little pack, I had an assortment of coins, with the gold foil imprinted to suggest coins from the USA, but also English "one pound" coins and a couple "new sheqalim" coins. I guess the idea is to suggest that your kid is a jet-setting world traveler who is so busy they mix up international currencies. Well, I thought it was amusing anyway.

ANYWAY, my question is this: let's say you're a regular city dweller in one of the cities with high levels of trade in the Western Heartlands. Cormyr, just for kicks. If you looked in your money-pouch, and you're upper middle class (not a penniless wretch), what variety of coins are you most likely to have in there?

I know we've covered types of coinage in different regions before. This is more a question about "in a given random day, how likely are you to have other currencies not specifically from Cormyr in your money-pouch?"

Also, for Cormyr, are there certain trademoots (or whatnot) that see an infusion of non-realm coinage? Is a gold piece from neighboring Sembia's mint worth exactly the same as a Cormyrean gold piece? And how quickly can one get currency "exchanged" for coinage of the Realm? Are there certain purchases (or certain goods) that absolutely require Cormyrean-made coinage (or Cormyrean-made trade bars) because of local laws?

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2012 :  23:42:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Therise, your question about the relative worth of Sembian and Cormyrean gold pieces has been answered before. The "quickie" version is: in everyday Cormyrean situations, for common folk, they're accepted as the same.
As we've played in Cormyr extensively over the years, and Ed has been asked many questions about the Forest Kingdom by TSR and WotC designers and RPGA folks, as well as scribes here, I have extensive notes on Cormyr from him, and so can answer you straightaway...as follows...
"If you looked in your money-pouch, and you're upper middle class (not a penniless wretch), what variety of coins are you most likely to have in there?"
If you're in Cormyr, most of the mintings would be of Cormyr, followed by Sembia, followed by Westgate, followed by Amnian and a smattering of Sword Coast, Vilhon, and Moonsea mintings.

"Also, for Cormyr, are there certain trademoots (or whatnot) that see an infusion of non-realm coinage?"
Yes, Arabel and Marsember and Suzail, lots daily, and Waymoot, Hultail, and Wheloon (until its transformation into a prison), a trickle daily.

"And how quickly can one get currency "exchanged" for coinage of the Realm?"
In the above "lots daily" places, right away if you go to a moneylender (and pay a changing fee). Elsewhere, AND in the three cities, right away if you make a purchase with outland currency; your change is likely to be mainly in Cormyrean coinage (with a smattering of Sembian and Westgate).

"Are there certain purchases (or certain goods) that absolutely require Cormyrean-made coinage (or Cormyrean-made trade bars) because of local laws?"
Yes. Certain royal licenses (hunting, land deed and marriage document and other Court scrivener services)specify "coin of the realm." However, almost all casual daily transactions and royal/Court/civic tolls and fees can be paid in any currency, if the coins aren't obviously fakes or deeply "shaved" or marred, or otherwise obviously "not worth their facings."

This all comes from Ed's notes. Off you queries have gone to him, too, to see if he has anything to add.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  01:02:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
The popular notion seems to treat Cormyr and Sembia as analogues for Britain and (usually) France. I personally envision these nations as more like Canada and the USA, but then I'm not very Euro-centric. I can't speak for Ed, but it's been said that his original conception was something similar to and entirely different from both of these analogues.

Anyhow, here in Canada, when I look in my pocket I see primarily Canadian coinage. A fair number of American pennies, a few American nickels and dimes, now and then an American quarter. American "small change" is readily accepted by vending machines and merchants, taken in and given out by banks, completely interchangeable with Canadian coins unless you want to specifically purchase very large bulk batches of rolled coin. I suppose it's possible that at least 10% of the little coinage circulating in my city is actually a foreign currency.

But when I travel to "Sembia" it's a very different story. Merchants near the border will often accept Canadian coins but invariably add some small surcharge for currency conversion. Vending machines automatically reject foreign coinage. Vendors rarely overlook the presence of any Canadian coins slipped into the handful, these coins are spotted and removed with a smiling apology and an unspoken firm demand that payment be offered with real currency. I'm personally not at all concerned by the minute differences in value between the pennies and nickels of my nation and those of its neighbour, they are dimensionally and functionally nearly identical (and just as annoying) ... but those patriotic Sembian merchants are keenly vigilant against the threat of being ripped off with "false" currencies, if it's not Sembian-minted then they just don't want it and they just don't trust it.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 03 Apr 2012 01:24:48
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  01:29:27  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
Sembians rejecting coins because they are foreign seems to be at odds with all depictions of Sembians I have ever seen. They are the most cosmopolitan merchants in Faerun. 'Coin is coin' could be their words. Parochial patriotism that gets in the way of doing business is what they accuse Cormytes of, not something that Sembians do.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  01:40:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Ah, well I wouldn't say Sembian merchants and banks reject the coins outright, they'll still take the coin. They just treat foreign coins as being less valuable, and they assess small charges whenever converting currencies. One way or another this means that purchasing Sembian goods with foreign coins will always cost you more, at least in Sembia.

In any event, my post only explained my personal interpretation, which I apply in my gaming - it's not canon, not Realmslore, it's not a detailed analysis from a Ph.D. of medieval economies, it's not sourced from Ed. It could just as easily be reversed if you prefer Cormyr to be a nation full of money-conscious coin counters.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 03 Apr 2012 01:45:44
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  01:48:23  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
Judging from Ed's comments and the general feel of novels and sourcebooks, I'd sooner see Cormytes being leery of foreign coins and prefering 'good, honest coins with His Majesty's face'. Sembians know well enough the value of foreign coins and any merchant worth his salt is aware that if he won't take them, a customer is liable to turn to someone else who will, at a value closer to what they're really worth.

Anything that gets in the way of seperating people from their coins efficiently is something that Sembians would be glad to do without. Cormytes are the ones who make it a point of pride to think about other things than money. That those other things may sometimes include a feeling of superiority over those who aren't Cormytes and a deliberate ignorance of foreign parts, including the value of any coins from far away, is unfortunate, but probably true.

As is almost painfully evident in the Twilight War trilogy, there is little in the way of a Sembian national identity. Sembians identify themselves by allegiance to their a trading company, employer, merchant family, town or city, not as 'Sembians' first and only then something else. Unkind tongues might say that Sembians think of themselves first and any allegiances later, if at all.

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 03 Apr 2012 01:51:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  04:05:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Folks, let's try to limit the side-chatter from Ed's replies.

If you feel the need to discuss it further, then, please, by all means, open a new scroll elsewhere.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  12:42:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
We know a decent amount of lore about adventurer's taking creature body parts and using them towards making defensive / offensive / or armor pieces of equpment. We also know of our real world textiles and furs that have been made into women's "lingerie". However, it occurs to me that in the realms there might be some more fantastic examples of women's lingerie, either made from things that are produced by certain breeds of "magical" beasts. What made me think of it was the giant spider silk discussion we had earlier. I'm just wondering, is there any "women's wear" out there made from beasties that you wouldn't normally think about (not things like a winter wolf coat, that's an obvious use)? One interesting idea that comes to mind are things like a snakeskin dress/skirt made from a yuan-ti or a naga, just because its a very large amount of snakeskin in one continuous piece.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  21:32:03  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message

Thank you THO and Ed, much appreciated!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  03:28:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You're very welcome, Therise.

slevyas, there are lots of exotic "made from monster stuff" feminine clothing articles in Ed's Realms (this is the sort of stuff that TSR and WotC habitually censor).
I know this because Torm of the Knights of Myth Drannor bought his way into a tiny chain of shops that sold such wares (alongside scents), so as to use it for a smuggling front. Ed kept us entertained with scores of such items.
So I just have to prod him hard enough to get him to produce the relevant notes. Probably AFTER he's done his taxes.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  03:35:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Just got a reply from Ed, to this: "Is there any story elements that you can share about the Metatext of Deneir?" from althen artren.
Ed says:

Not yet. Perhaps not for, oh, say two years. However, there is forthcoming lore I want to share, yes.

So saith Ed. Whom I understand has been nominated, with his co-editor Gabrielle Harbowy (Ed tells me she deserves the credit, first and foremost, as "the lead who did all the heavy lifting") for an award for best anthology of the year, for WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME from Dragon Moon Press (a superb collection that included stories from several Realms stalwarts, such as Rosemary Jones and Erik Scott de Bie, and from a Candlekeep and DDI and Pathfinder stalwart, Brian Cortijo, and had an introduction by then-Wizards-Realms-editor Susan Morris). More details as soon as I track them down.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  03:40:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And I have tracked it down:

BOOK OF THE YEAR AWARD
BOTYA 2011 Finalists in Anthologies Category

27 Views of Chapel Hill by Daniel Wallace, Introduction (Eno Publishers)
Ghost Writers by Keith Taylor and Laura Kasischke (Wayne State University Press)
Intensity by Keren Taylor, editor (WriteGirl Publications)
Into the Blue by Joseph J. Corn (The Library of America)
Solace in So Many Words by edited by Ellen Wade Beals (Weighed Words)
Sovereign Erotics by Qwo-Li Driskill, Daniel Heath Justice, Deborah Miranda, and Lisa Tatonetti (University of Arizona Press)
The Other Latin@ by Blas Falconer and Lorraine M. Lopez (University of Arizona Press)
The Way of Natural History by Thomas Lowe Fleischner (Trinity University Press)
When the Hero Comes Home by Gabrielle Harbowy and Ed Greenwood (Editors) (Dragon Moon Press)

Hmmm. Last but not least, as they say.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  18:23:06  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I just read your Eye on the Realms article The Talking Door and was disappointed!

That is, I wish it was longer and had at least one more art piece (the headless lady ghost comes to mind).

The article got me to thinking about rival establishments in Waterdeep deciding to set up their own actively haunted doors or rooms, to get a slice of some of the Inn of the Dripping Dagger’s business.

On average, would you say it’s more likely inn owners would:

1)Look to acquire (by theft or purchase) haunted doors or items of furniture from other parts of Waterdeep?
2)Send adventurers or other agents into Undermountain to find, remove and haul back up haunted doors or objects?
3)Hire spellcasters or even priests to bind minor hauntings to objects already to be found at the Inn?

Or is it safer to say all of these gambits will be tried, by one or more inn owners looking to drum up business? Are there any other tactics besides these that come immediately to mind?

Great article Ed. Can’t wait for the next one!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 05 Apr 2012 18:25:17
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  19:26:09  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Oops, one more question: is the term “jacks” (that’s used as the catch all term for the young lads who run errands at the Inn of the Dripping Dagger) derived from the word “doorjacks”, as found in The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall in Dragon #408?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  21:59:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jeremy, I think "doorjacks" is derived from "jacks" ("jacks" being everyday Heartlands Common for "male servants" (or sometimes more widely, "male labourers/employees").
So from "jacks" we get: "chamberjacks," "stablejacks," "doorjacks," and so on. Even "nightjacks" for the night shift, in some usages.
(The female equivalent is usually "maid," but in some less formal professions, like picking produce, it's "lasses.")
This all comes from Ed's notes. Your questions about the Inn of the Dripping Dagger have gone off to Ed, who is busy doing his taxes right now, but will hopefully answer in the fullness of time . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2012 :  06:13:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Was Solace in So Many Words (above) written by Rosemary Jones?

You seem to be missing a bit of info there.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Apr 2012 06:15:18
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2012 :  20:47:30  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
Another quick question about trade caravans and merchants -

I've always treated the major roads on the FR maps as "primary trade routes" and my impression was that they'd always be fairly heavy with trade. But one of my friends recently asked me "how heavy?" meaning he wanted to know the actual frequency of encountering merchants and caravans. This may have been asked before, but taking Cormyr as an example again, and say you're a traveler on the main road out of Cormyr that leads directly to Daerlun, about how often would you expect to see:

- a lone merchant, perhaps with a few pack animals, maybe one wagon
- a small family or band (2-3 merchants) with 1-2 wagons and guards
- a large caravan, with 4+ merchants and multiple wagons and guards
- bigger? how big could caravans typically get?

I imagine all of this depends on seasonal weather, wealth of the merchants in question, which road leading into Cormyr, and all that good stuff. But generally speaking, I'm thinking you'd see (at least) lots of lone merchants, several small caravans, and one major caravan in a given day. Or is this too much? Any details you can share, generally?

Thanks in advance!

Go to Top of Page

varyar
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2012 :  21:20:41  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message
Hi! I'm wondering what, if anything, can be revealed about the pre-human history of Nimbral - what were the moon elves up to before the Halruaans arrived? Was anybody living on the island before the elves?
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  01:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
Howdy, Goodsir of the Greenwood and Lady Most Hooded.

I've got a quick bearing check.

I'm of the opinion that public bath-houses, steambaths, sweat-lodges and other places sans clothing offer interesting adventure locales and an unparalled meeting place for intrigue, especially between those where little trust exists.

Would any of the following places have a tradition of such things; Reth, Mourktar, Messemprar, Unthalass or Skuld?

And would it be unsuitable for one or more of the tribes of the Shaar to enjoy steaming in sweat lodges?

Can you tell us anything about bath-houses, saunas, steambaths, sweat lodges and similar around the Inner Sea?

Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  04:57:17  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message
Well met Ed and his winsome scribe, TheHoodedOne.

I have a query, part born out of necessity and part born out of the inherent joy in getting to pick your brain finally.

Silverymoon has always been one of the areas of the Realms I’ve been drawn to, probably due to its ‘diamond in the rough’ quality, but it was reading My Slice of Silverymoon where I fell in love with it. Getting lost in the intricate, humble and life-filled sights and sounds of the place was a sheer pleasure in reading (it’s an article I often find myself going back to).

Recently this sidling love-interest of mine has been thrust into the limelight, as the campaign I am DMing has followed my players to the city of Silverymoon….a wonderful contrast to the dark and ominous dungeon-delving they have been involved in so far (the threat of enrapture is a very real threat to their quest now ).

I like to keep myself apprised of many places in the realms, so I can track the ripples of events around Faerun and leave little hanging adventure buds in any places the players might decide to inexplicably visit. However I have a player whose character was once a Spellguard in Silverymoon before heading into the wide world (she’s a sun elf that left around 1362 DR after the Cult of the Dragon attack at 7th level). Since then a few things have happened….and her experiences have turned her down a darker path than she previously trod (dabbling with the shadow-weave and researching Lichdom).

My rather belated question is:

How do those in Silverymoon (Alustriel, Jorus, Taern and the Spellguard) deal with Ex-Spellguard? As one who has passed the Ward attunement would they still be at liberty to call upon the Mythal’s powers? Would they be drafted in for appraisal/spied upon to see if they were still loyal? I’m guessing the methodology would be suitably subtle (Jorus has invited the elf in question and her ‘friend’ for a nice, informal dinner so he can get a measure of her purpose).

I suppose I’m wondering what the procedure is…I just don’t imagine an ex-spellguard would be considered a normal ‘civilian’ and am curious how any such scrutiny would react to an evil character.

It could turn into a HBO ‘Homeland’ type situation.

Thankyou for listening to all of us, the fact you take the time do this is so very special to us
-Eli

P.S The campaign is set in the winter of 1372 (Nightal) and the Sun elf is currently in the company of a mind-shielded and surreptitious blackguard.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms

Edited by - Eli the Tanner on 28 Apr 2012 04:59:45
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  20:35:14  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Just checking if Ed will be attending Ad Astra this year. I've got lots for him to sign.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  20:38:25  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
He's listed as attending at the site, and he told me he was "certainly intending to be there" when I talked to him at the library last week.
He'd just written a new fantasy short story to read at the con: "Walking The King's Skull."
I'm looking forward to hearing it.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  20:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I envy anyone who can just walk into their library to talk to Ed. Or did you make a special trip?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  20:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Special trip. I wanted Ed to sign my Lords of Waterdeep game.
(He did, but protested he hadn't designed it, and I really needed to hunt down the "superb" guys who had, likely at GenCon. As if I needed an excuse to go to GenCon!)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  20:50:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Yes, Blueblade, Ed tells me he'll be at Ad Astra (and probably at FanExpo this year, too). So far as I know thus far, his Ad Astra panels include:
- Villains 101 (probably with Gabrielle Harbowy, his esteemed co-editor on WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME and the forthcoming WHEN THE VILLAIN COMES HOME), Saturday at 10 am.
- All About Voice (vocal performances, e.g. voiceovers), Saturday at 11 am.
- Biblio-Fantasies (fantastic fiction involving books), Saturday at noon.
- Creating Sf/F Languages, Saturday at 4 pm.
- Steampunk Lit ("Steam Driven Words"), Sunday at noon.
(He'll be part of the "gang signing" from 1-3 Saturday, and doesn't know yet when his reading will be.)
More information when/if I learn it (Ed may not know bout his reading until he arrives at the con and registers).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  21:29:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!

A few days back, in this thread, scribe Therise asked:
“Another quick question about trade caravans and merchants -

I've always treated the major roads on the FR maps as "primary trade routes" and my impression was that they'd always be fairly heavy with trade. But one of my friends recently asked me "how heavy?" meaning he wanted to know the actual frequency of encountering merchants and caravans. This may have been asked before, but taking Cormyr as an example again, and say you're a traveler on the main road out of Cormyr that leads directly to Daerlun, about how often would you expect to see:

- a lone merchant, perhaps with a few pack animals, maybe one wagon
- a small family or band (2-3 merchants) with 1-2 wagons and guards
- a large caravan, with 4+ merchants and multiple wagons and guards
- bigger? how big could caravans typically get?

I imagine all of this depends on seasonal weather, wealth of the merchants in question, which road leading into Cormyr, and all that good stuff. But generally speaking, I'm thinking you'd see (at least) lots of lone merchants, several small caravans, and one major caravan in a given day. Or is this too much? Any details you can share, generally?
Thanks in advance!”
Well, here’s a response from Ed:

Hi, Therise! Well, it DOES depend. :}
Especially on whether or not it’s daylight, and what the weather is like (lashing rain or freezing temperatures aren’t just hard on drovers and animals, they ruin some cargoes). Also on the time of year (the spring and fall mud and the winter snows can sometimes close down that road linking Cormyr and Sembia through Daerlun, and there’s always heavy traffic just after harvests, and during the spring “opening up” and just before the winter “drawing down” of roads).
However, let’s assume that it’s an average summer day, not near any special occasion, it’s peacetime, and you are spending the day traveling along that road at an average speed (overtaking few and being overtaken by few).
So here we go . . .
You would almost NEVER be out of sight of pilgrims or a family walking, and a peddler/messenger (on horse, leading a mule, or just shouldering two balanced satchels, and walking).
You would seldom be out of sight of a farmer (with assistant), on a wagon or cart, usually moving hay or feed, but sometimes straw or manure.
Your “lone merchant, perhaps with a few pack animals, maybe one wagon” will almost always have an assistant or his wife - - or if lacking that, will “pair up” with another lone merchant for such overland treks (so if a wagon wheel or someone’s leg breaks, someone else can go for help or aid the injured). You’ll see one of them about every five minutes, and pass them about every ten minutes (i.e. they’ll be in sight before and after you actual pass them).
Your “small family or band (2-3 merchants) with 1-2 wagons and guards” will be in view about every twelve minutes apart.
Your “large caravan, with 4+ merchants and multiple wagons and guards,” from two to five an hour.
Larger caravans, of 20 wagons or more, perhaps eight a day. Wartime or harvest-tide or “buildup of goods” caravans of any sort can be as large as sixty wagons (and in dangerous overland areas in the Sword Coast North, forty-odd wagons is the prudent minimum for caravans), but the Cormyr-Sembia coast road is busy, with large caravans more unwieldy than needed for safety, so big caravans tend to be large “single shipper movements,” like a coster racing a fish catch in a dozen wagons.
An average day might see ten to fourteen of these sorts of 8-16 wagon “runs.” As I said, it’s a busy road.
Hope I’ve been of help.

So saith Ed. Who is happily writing and designing something secret right now.
Love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  22:04:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes.
Markustay, sorry for my mistyping glitch in my post about the award nominees.
SOLACE IN SO MANY WORDS is an anthology with many, many contributors (from Weighted Words, edited by Beals, etc. etc.). So it's by a whole lot of folks.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000