Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 66

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13557 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  04:01:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ed, I'm not sure if you are very familiar with the SJ Realmspace product, but it has come-up in another thread, and I was wondering - was anything that made it in there from your notes?

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Dear Ed and THO,
Local rumor hints that Ed is writing television episode scripts (again); can Ed share anything about this?
BB
hope its not for Scify channel. Their science-fiction series are usually pretty good, but their fantasy shows are pretty damn crappy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  11:14:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Speaking of rumours of Ed writing something - I was listening to a podcast of the "Secrets of Pathfinder Fiction" seminar from last year's Paizocon the other day and... is, "It's something we both want and are working towards," still true in regards to an Ed Greenwood Pathfinder novel? (And any news about a Guns of Alkenstar sequel?)

Mana Wastes... *drools*

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1411 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  13:15:51  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

2) Glass eyes: Are there any known and notable makers of glass eyes? How widespread is the practice of making eyes (big cities only or can a villager in Thunderstone buy one?) Would said makers also be able to fashion glass eyes with minor magical properties and the like? Are glass eyes every made out of an unusual 'other than glass' resource? (am wondering about real eyes both human and monsterous and grafting perhaps?)
Grafts are definitely used: Gromph during War of the Spider Queen was in too much hurry to regenerate properly and got himself a pair from one traitor.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  17:45:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

That mad wizard in City of Splendors was so into grafts-making, too. His body parts, from hair to toes, were grafted from all sorts of creatures.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  21:27:00  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Posted by Dennis - 30 Jul 2010
Hi Ed, THO!
<snip>
3.Is there something special about Shar? Many deities, evil and good, were destroyed and came back to life, Mystra being the best example. Yet Shar remains, despite that there are many evil greater deities (should they put their mind to it, which is very likely, considering Shar's new toy, the SW) who could destroy her and steal her portfolio (and her toy). Maybe Mask is already planning to do that?

quote:
Posted by The Hooded One - 30 Jul 2010
Hi again, all. Ed has surprised me with a swift answer to the quartet of offered-again queries from dennis, and here it is:
<chop>
3. Never rule Mask out. Ever. He is ALWAYS scheming, and you are right to anticipate him coming up with SOMETHING.
With that said, no mortal can say (even if, like me, they know something :}} ) what he's up to, regarding Shar or anything/anyone else.
As for Shar, she is indeed special, though no mortal yet knows (and I can't say; NDAs, you know) exactly why or how. More may well be revealed, some day, but mortals probably won't enjoy that revelation. (And I say this as the guy who created the Realms, Shar, and Mask.)

(bold added)

This saddens me. Almost as much as the continued "unpublishedness" of the Cormyr Lineage. We know Shar is one of the mothers of Mystryl/Mystra (who, I'm still convinced, is fundamentally the same deity, despite deaths and resurrections (FoN) and successions (ToT) and what-have-you... as I've discussed elsewhere, trauma and (primarily) dominant Chosen alignment affect her alignment). We also know (if we've read Paul Kemp's books) certain other things about Shar and Mask... to all scribes, if you haven't, go read the Erevis Cale trilogy and the Twilight War trilogy... then you, too, will be impatient for the Cycle of Night trilogy... on which note, Ed, will that upcoming trilogy cause any revision of your statement above?

I had a second question (related to the business benefits of keeping The Big Picture under wraps), but it occurred to me that I've likely asked it before, if I'd ever found a satisfactory way of wording the question to begin with. I realize that it's all about potential sources of revenue for the IP holder (in this case, WotC/Hasbro)... but if things change (e.g., the Spellplague), then we'll never know what the original form of that idea was... and as someone who is fascinated by the philosophy of knowledge (and language, and mathematics, and mind), I find this... unsatisfactory, to put it mildly. I'm not hoping or expecting to learn much (if anything) of the answers to these Big Questions in your upcoming Guide to Elminster's Forgotten Realms, but I'm still giddy with anticipation over the things that might be in there.

Anyway, this post has taken me twice as long to compose as to type, and I'm not a fast typist... I think that means it's time for some fresh air. For the first time in about a week, it's not raining where I am. Many thanks again, Ed, for building and sharing something that inspires such tormenting curiosity... and thanks to THO for being Ed's voice here.

Edit: I just thought of something else regarding the quoted text above: Ed, is SelŻne also special in the way you've hinted at above for her sister Shar? I think I've commented on this before too, but the similarity between the symbols of SelŻne and Mystra (both featuring seven stars) has been tickling the back of my mind lately... can you say anything more than "NDA" on this?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 27 Feb 2012 23:02:02
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  21:29:55  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Ooh! I just thought of something else... we know from the OGB that Selune's power waxes and wanes over time, similar to (but on a greater time scale than) the phases of the moon... does Shar's power do the same thing, given the lengthening and shortening of the nights over the seasons during the year?

Edit: and I just put this together now... hence the title of Mr. Kemp's new trilogy... Cycle of Night...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 26 Feb 2012 21:32:23
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  21:38:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Ooh! I just thought of something else... we know from the OGB that Selune's power waxes and wanes over time, similar to (but on a greater time scale than) the phases of the moon... does Shar's power do the same thing, given the lengthening and shortening of the nights over the seasons during the year?

Edit: and I just put this together now... hence the title of Mr. Kemp's new trilogy... Cycle of Night...

That title makes me think that most likely it alludes to the reversal of the fate of most of the major characters in the TW. Rivalen's fall, the destruction of many of Shar's plans, Mask's most awaited Return, Mephistopheles's downfall, Brennus's revenge...and many more.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  22:45:09  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

I think that is fairly implicit in their 'relationship'. If you read the Shar entry from the OGBS it says:

Shar battles continually with Selune, slaying her often (i.e. every new moon)

Though I am sure that the Selunites would say that Selune battles with Shar continually, slaying her often (i.e every full moon)

Of course this does prompt the question of why Selune was so passive as Shar extended her reach with the shadow weave, slaying of Mystra etc?

I think the designers really dropped the ball on this one, rather than having Shar 'destroy' Mystra they should have explored the direct schism between to two moon/dark moon goddesses (sisters?) and Rich Baker could still have imported his 'created for Birthright' shadow magic into the Realms and showcase how 'great' Shar is. That battle between the sister deities for me would have been much more interesting than the decision to destroy the weave and Mystra.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

254 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  12:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage  Click to see Eldacar's MSN Messenger address Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

I think that is fairly implicit in their 'relationship'. If you read the Shar entry from the OGBS it says:

Shar battles continually with Selune, slaying her often (i.e. every new moon)

Though I am sure that the Selunites would say that Selune battles with Shar continually, slaying her often (i.e every full moon)

Perhaps both are right. Selune defeats Shar with each full moon, but Shar defeats Selune with each new moon. It is like two deities whose existence is tied to "material" objects in some fashion. One can never truly slay the other. They simply act out their roles in a play that has been acted out since the beginning of time. And beyond that, even when Shar is "slain" the darkness and shadow will persist. By the same token, even when Selune is slain the full moon will inevitably result, affirming the "existence" of the deity within the cosmic-scale belief of her followers.

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  22:52:42  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

That title makes me think that most likely it alludes to the reversal of the fate of most of the major characters in the TW. Rivalen's fall, the destruction of many of Shar's plans, Mask's most awaited Return, Mephistopheles's downfall, Brennus's revenge...and many more.

I really hope you're right on these, particularly where Shar and Mask are concerned.

Interesting ideas, Damian and Eldacar... they'd have been better placed in a separate scroll, imho... ...but I'm still intrigued by the possibilities.

THO: In another scroll here, I'm reopening the case of Mystryl and Mystra... I'd love it if you could peruse my original post and see if anything looks particularly on-target... or wildly off-target. Only consult Ed if necessary; I'm not necessarily looking for canonical truth, just whether or not it "fits" with presently known canon (I suspect the canon truth to be NDA anyway), and I know Ed is (as always) extremely busy. Many thanks!

Edited by - Jakk on 27 Feb 2012 22:54:52
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  23:27:54  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO: I have about 23 questions I'd like to ask Ed about the Xraunrarr, but instead of cluttering things up here I decided to start a thread on the WotC forums asking them to ask you to write more articles about the Xraunrarr.

I know you're busy, Ed, but I hope they'll ask you to do it.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  01:15:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I really hope you're right on these, particularly where Shar and Mask are concerned.

Ed said we've not seen the last of Mask (yet). Obviously, he's here to stay...longer. Vala's fate (which he orchestrated) must be part of his myriad of contingencies.

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  16:08:09  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message
Dear THO & Ed,

Itís clear that Ed receives a great many queries here, and answering them all is a nigh impossible task, but may I throw in a meek and humble reminder concerning a couple of my questions from the turn of the year? Forgive me if this is breaking ĎKeep etiquette; Iím sure that some scribes have been waiting longer than I, but even knowing an NDA is firmly in place around my queries is a worthwhile answer (as it gives me carte-blanche to go ahead and fill in the blanks with my own ideas). My two queries were as follows:

I do have a question for Ed now. I'm writing an adventure in which the PCs will be searching for a lost piece of magic left behind by the wizards cabal known as the Circle of Flames (or the Circle of the Flames) in Myth Drannor. The Circle are referenced briefly in "Ruins of Myth Drannor" and a few other sources, but I wonder if Ed could tell us a little more about them?

Specifically, I'm seeking details of their school or stronghold within Myth Drannor - the ruins will be the eventual destination and main dungeon for the quest. Any tidbits on defenses or magic therein would be icing on the cake!

Furthermore, the link between the (first incarnation of) War Wizards and the Circle of Flames will be central to the adventure's plot. "Ruins of Myth Drannor" tells us survivors of the Circle of Flames trained some of Cormyr's first War Wizards. Can Ed share anything of who these mages were, and what exactly he taught them.

Hopefully none of this NDA (shhh ... don't even say the word!)

And ...

Can Ed share with us any details concerning the mages that Vangerdahast defeated from 1306 to 1308 DR in his reordering of Cormyr's War Wizards. A few names and tidbits of lore would be great. Is there any chance any of them had secret holdings as yet undiscovered (and can we have the details of such places?).

The Candlekeep scribes and in particular Garen Thral have helped me establish there's little existing information concerning this time, but also that the details might well be locked inside an NDA. However, there's no harm in asking.

My adventure's plot goes something like this; Those wizards of the Circle of Flames who escaped Myth Drannor to Cormyr took with them some of the magical secrets of the City of Song. When the wizards started training the nascent War Wizards, these secrets were passed down to them only to disappear in Salember's reign.

Following Azoun's death, Vangerdahast 'retires' but is seeking powerful magic to defend the Forest Kingdom. Through intermediaries, he hires the PCs to investigate sites whichmay have been the hideouts of traitors slain back in '08. In such a holding, the PCs stumble upon some of the secrets of the Circle, clues of powerful magic that remains in their ruined headquarters in Myth Drannor. Such is the potential of this magic Vangey is prepared to risk alienating Cormyr's relationship with the retaken realm by sending the PCs to steal the magic from under the elves' noses. As PCs are a neutral party, Cormyr has maximum deniability should anything go wrong.

Thanks again, and forgive my insolence
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  18:18:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Malaria Moon, I'd got ahead and create whatever best suits your campaign, if I were you. Ed tells me that details about both of your queries are NDA right now, due to some future plans that may take some time to see the light of day.
Ed can tell you that the Circle of Flames cabal had two bases in Myth Drannor: a public meeting-place, and (as they acquired rivals) a secret one located in a tower in someone's mansion (palatial private home). And, I'm afraid, that's about all he can tell you.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  18:24:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi once more, fellow scribes. Jeremy, Ed would LOVE to elaborate more on Xraunrarr. By all means express your yen for more to the folks at Wizards; they DO listen (which is why, last year, we got a followup Ed Eye column about the Circle of Fangs ring). Then again, Ed does work almost a year in advance on these, so a Xraunrarr followup might not appear in a month or two . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

thomaslove92
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  19:10:53  Show Profile Send thomaslove92 a Private Message
Greetings THO, I may just be impatient, but I think my post was overlooked. Easily enough done, if there's no answer to my question...no problem.

quote:
Originally posted by thomaslove92

Hi folks,

My question is regarding the history of Baldur's Gate, Balduran and the settlements that came before.

Here's what we know so far...

-16 DR Calimport p19 uses Baldur's Gate as a landmark to describe the reach of the Plague of Scholars.
I Appreciate this could simply refer to the area now known as Baldur's Gate
(...All cities across southern FaerŻn, as far north as Baldur's Gate; lethargy and heavy sleep...)

227 DR George Krashos and Ed mentioned the settlement of Shavinar, founded by adventurer Orluth Tshahvur near where Baldur's Gate stands today. This settlement was built on a 'nameless cluster of fisherfolk huts'.

277 DR George Krashos and Ed then explained how the settlement fell to trolls.

"long ago" Multiple sources (FR Adventures, Volo's GTT Sword Coast etc) explain how, after gaining great wealth, Balduran invested into his small home port. Thanks to the donation the port soon became a thriving city...Baldur's Gate.

Ultimately I'm asking where does Balduran fit into all this? Did he invest into a settlement that sprouted from Shavinar's ruins? Or do these dates need to be updated?

Thanks you very much in advance
Regards
Thomas

If my question was too complicated...i'll shorten it,

Can Ed give us any dates regarding the life of Balduran?

Thanks again.
Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  19:19:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
The Hooded One gets every question to Ed. How long it takes for them to be answered varies greatly - sometimes it can take years, so if you have a question that's not been answered yet - stay patient, no need to repeat it.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

thomaslove92
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  19:27:47  Show Profile Send thomaslove92 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

The Hooded One gets every question to Ed. How long it takes for them to be answered varies greatly - sometimes it can take years, so if you have a question that's not been answered yet - stay patient, no need to repeat it.

Ahhh, fair enough. I'm just being paranoid...i will settle down. Sorry for re-post.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  20:13:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
No worries, judging by your post-count you couldn't be expected to know this (perhaps worth inserting something about this every fifth page or so, moderators?).

Edit: Hmm... sadly non-combative for my 1939th post.

Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 28 Feb 2012 21:17:54
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  20:27:25  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

... they DO listen (which is why, last year, we got a followup Ed Eye column about the Circle of Fangs ring).
That's awesome news! I'd wondered whether that article was a follow up based on fan requests or simply a product of Ed's ability to overwrite.

Now a question or three about Esparinís royal regalia and its presence in Cormyr after the war against Nalavarra.

Ed, Iíve taken your adventure Lashanís Fall and repurposed it for use in Cormyr in my Realms campaign. One of the more awesome treasure items in the adventure was a resplendent, gem-filled crown topped off with a gem of True Seeing.

One of the human PCs in my game recovered and now wears this crown, but none of the players know Iíve decided this is actually the Royal Crown of Esparin.

Your Elminster Must Die novels and one of your responses on this scroll gave me the idea of having the PCs be in Suzail during a Council of Nobles called by the Steel Regent, so Iím wondering how the characters would be treated/reacted to if they openly (but unknowingly) wore the Crown of Esparin in Suzail while the city is packed full of nobles, watchful War Wizards, nosey Purple Dragons guarding Suzailís gates, merchants looking to make fast coin and other individuals?

Iím pretty sure Vangerdahast, Alaphondar and any High Herald would instantly recognize the crown if they saw it, but would anyone else?

I think word of the crownís existence in Suzail would cause the Royal Court to conclude someone is agitating for parts of Cormyr to secede in the aftermath of the war, which ought to get the PCs hunted and apprehended for a front-and-center visit with Vangerdahast or even the Steel Regent.

What do you think?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  00:48:52  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

No worries, judging by your post-count you couldn't be expected to know this (perhaps worth inserting something about this every fifth page or so, moderators?).

Edit: Hmm... sadly non-combative for my 1939th post.

I've actually been suspecting this would come up again at some point.

I'll tinker with a brief "standard" message that I'll edit into both the opening post of the scroll, and something that I can repost when this query comes up in the future.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1978 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  05:03:48  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
Is there any other nigth clubs like the dragon rider's club across faerun that employes MAsked Dancers??? and if so, where and what are they named and who owns them?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Seeker

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  07:06:38  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message
Well, a question for Ed, though I guess he might not be able to answer?, so if anyone else knows please share, but what is all the NDA stuff in like 95% of all of Ed's answers.

Now I understand the basic NDA idea, but how does it apply to Ed and the Realms? NDA information is stuff that WotC has bought and owns, right? So Ed can't say anything about it as he does not own the information.

But even just a quick search through the ask Ed threads turns up hundreds and hundreds of answers that say NDA.

So how is that exactly? Does WotC really have something like a billion pages of Realmslore from Ed sitting around somewhere? How did Ed give so much to them? Is it just from editing? Did Ed turn in massive 500,000 word documents for every Realms book he has ever written and then WotC trims it down to just '96 pages'?

And if WotC does have billions of pages of Realms lore, er, why don't they use it? With just the information from the NDA's posted here they have at least enough to fill a book. Plus almost all of the information is quite high profile, important, or secret. In short, lots of information that any and every Realms fan wants. How many Realms fans would by the book 'Secrets of the Realms', or even just the 'Lost lore of the Realms'? I'd guess a lot....
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  07:55:46  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

Well, a question for Ed, though I guess he might not be able to answer?, so if anyone else knows please share, but what is all the NDA stuff in like 95% of all of Ed's answers.

Now I understand the basic NDA idea, but how does it apply to Ed and the Realms? NDA information is stuff that WotC has bought and owns, right? So Ed can't say anything about it as he does not own the information.

That's basically it, in a nutshell. I believe this question has been asked before; you might check out the "So Saith Ed" PDFs (link in The Sage's signature) or just try to search the archives via the site's search function... although Google Advanced Search, restricting results to the domain "forum.candlekeep.com" works better. Happy searching! If it hasn't been answered recently, The Sage, Wooly, or THO will clarify anything I've missed for you.

quote:

But even just a quick search through the ask Ed threads turns up hundreds and hundreds of answers that say NDA.

So how is that exactly? Does WotC really have something like a billion pages of Realmslore from Ed sitting around somewhere? How did Ed give so much to them? Is it just from editing? Did Ed turn in massive 500,000 word documents for every Realms book he has ever written and then WotC trims it down to just '96 pages'?

And if WotC does have billions of pages of Realms lore, er, why don't they use it? With just the information from the NDA's posted here they have at least enough to fill a book. Plus almost all of the information is quite high profile, important, or secret. In short, lots of information that any and every Realms fan wants. How many Realms fans would by the book 'Secrets of the Realms', or even just the 'Lost lore of the Realms'? I'd guess a lot....

More or less, anything that might conceivably be useful to a possible future product is protected by NDA. This includes actual planned products and those that aren't even a twinkle in the writer's eye yet. As a result, yes, there are piles of unreleased lore out there, both at WotC and at Ed's place. And I'd pay whatever I could afford to see it all. Really.

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Feb 2012 07:59:03
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  08:29:07  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Aye bloodtide you have the right of it, Ed is an extremely talented writer who can knock up something very quickly at short notice, and yes he does have a basement or two (or indeed a cottage or two!) stuffed full of cardboard boxes of Realmslore.

My two favourite pieces regarding Ed's prodigious writing is the panel from the old Forgotten Realms comic when a bearded gentleman is driving into TSR on a counterbalance truck with a pallet of cardboard boxes full to brimming with papers on them! and the Karen Boomgaarden request for Ed to stop sending her any more stuff when TSR were first putting the Realms together for publication as the Waterdeep map took up so much floor space that it was impossible for her to get to the toilet!

And I think we would all like to see more of Ed'd Realms after the release of Elminster's guide to the Realms later this year so am looking forward to the next 750 volumes published once a month

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 66 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000