Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  17:36:18  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Oh sweet lady you are a delight on an gray, rainy day. Please give my thanks to Ed for such a swift reply. I'm all smiles on this side of the monitor.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  13:41:08  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
Ed, this is not FR related... but I think I saw your long, lost twin. I was watching Kevin Smith's (that "Clerks" guy) new non-scripted reality show "Comic Book Men", and saw his friend Bryan Johnson (a fellow filmmaker and comic book writer who has appeared in most of Smith's films) looking a lot like you (http://www.amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/cbm1-bryan-cast-590.jpg) -- i.e. beard and hair.

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."

Edited by - Gareth Yaztromo on 17 Mar 2012 13:42:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  15:39:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Wait. Comic Book Men has already aired on Australian television?

Which network is broadcasting the series, Gareth?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  22:20:09  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
No it hasn't been aired here yet. I was given the downloaded episodes. But I will purchase it once it comes out on DVD--I have all of Smith's films and live performances.

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  04:04:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Ed is far more than just another guy with beard and hair.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  19:55:09  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
THO, has Ed ever had a campaign in his Realms set in the "future" where some of the things that we're accustomed to--such as automobiles, trains, etc--have been adapted in some form? (versus the more mideval feel of the Realms that we're all familiar with?)

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2012 :  00:56:59  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
THO... has Ed ever considered having a character in one of his home games or books use the phrase By AO's Unobservant gaze?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2012 :  17:40:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again everyone. I bring you the latest reply from Ed of the Greenwood, this time to Eldacar, re. this: "Is Ed ever consulted specifically for video game adaptions of the FR setting? I mean, he may give advice or send in notes/lore if it's needed for a particular publication that WotC is planning to release, but is he ever asked specifically for input to video games? Does it happen often? If so, how does it work? Since game companies and WotC (and TSR before them) would have their own arrangement, does Ed get any input into that, even if it's just one company or the other asking for notes he has about a specific region that they're planning on using?
And, if he can say anything at all, might Ed have been consulted recently with regard to the region around perhaps, say, the Sword Coast?"
Here's Ed's response:

Yes, I have been consulted for some of the video and computer game Realms licenses. With that said, I can't share much more than this simple confirmation, because such consultations are ALWAYS covered by NDAs so as not to share even hints about the content, style, and mechanics of any such games. And so they should be. Nor is a "consultation" in any sense "control" or "approval." I am working on the Realms right now, just as I have been, one way or another, since I was six.
And if I said any more, I not only would be in trouble - - I'd ruin your fun. :}
Ed

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work on another project today. Which reminds me . . .
Ontario (and nearby American) residents are reminded that Ad Astra is coming up, this April 13, 14, and 15th, the long-running Canadian sf/fantasy/steampunk/etc. convention, and Ed will be there as a panelist. So will Gabrielle Harbowy, his co-editor (editrix) on the WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME and forthcoming WHEN THE VILLAIN COMES HOME anthologies, not to mention a goodly handful of the contributors to both. Ed is very busy at most conventions he attends, but Ad Astra tends to have small panels and chances to chat with him one-on-one, not to mention a giant autograph session that gives you a chance to meet a LOT of authors (I believe Harry Turtledove is one of the GoHs this year).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2012 :  15:14:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes!
Back on the seventh of March, Icelander posted this: “Quick question: Obviously, the empire of Shou Lung exports silk to Faerun and just as obviously, this silk is in great demand, since it's worth it to cart it over thousands of miles.
I noticed a long time ago that Sembia appears to make its own silk and I immediately thought of the repeated attempts by nations in our history to break the Chinese silk monopoly by stealing silkworms and the secrets of keeping and breeding them. And that sounds just like something the Sembians would do. So I thought: "Cool, some enterprising adventuring merchant stole the secret of silk!" I also noticed that the secret seems to be confined to them, not shared with Heartlands powers, and that makes sense. If you manage to steal it from the original owner, you're going to be wary of anyone trying the same thing with you.
Shou silk is still sought after and worth moving over all that land, which costs a fortune, which means either that the Sembians can't meet but a fraction of the demand or that Sembian silk is somehow inferior. I suspect that it's a combination of both, but more importantly the latter. There are likely to be many problems with precisely duplicating the optimal conditions and diet, especially if you stole the breeding stock and bribed a servant to instruct you in how it's done.
But, and don't worry, there is a question here, I noticed something else, too. When I was thinking about who'd have the secret in Sembia and how rich this would make a merchant family, I remembered that the Overmaster of Sembia in the 50s and the 60s was named Yarnmaster. How does that fit into your 'textile-makers sick and tired of paying through the nose for Shou silk and send an adventurous young family member on a quest over half the world'!
So, my question is, is the Yarnmaster family involved in the Sembian silk business?
A yes or no answer would do.
But if you're feeling generous, I'd appreciate being told if any of the above is off-base, if, for example, silk making is not a secret at all in the Realms, but there is some other reason it is still profitable to cart Shou silk to Faerun. I'd also love any and all details on the state of Sembian silk making and trade, along with information on who controls the secret.
I've got players controlling a merchant house in the Vast and the ambitious Murlak Solstice, formerly of Saerloon, could get involved in trying to spread the knowledge of silk making to other... deserving parties.

*Generally, ones owned at least 50% by said Murlak Solstice, de jure or de facto.”

Ed has finally clawed aside enough time to properly reply, and here he is:

Hi, Icelander. The Shou empire does indeed export silk to the westerly lands detailed in most Realms products, and yes, the demand is great—because Shou silk is by far the best, making other silk garments (those of Var the Golden and the Utter East in the mid 1300s DR, for instance, and the small silk production in Murghom at the same time) seem coarse by comparison.
However, it’s (as usual) wrong to so closely compare the Realms to our real world. Silk making is not and never has been a Shou “secret,” and no one has to “steal” silkworms from anywhere—though some merchants have tried, following the mistaken thinking that the Shou worms are somehow superior.
What IS superior is the proper climate for silkworms to flourish; certain damp, warm southerly regions in the vast Shou lands are ideal for silkworms, just as a few damp, warm areas of western Faerûn are ideal (and the vast majority of territory in both places is unsuitable). In Sembia and most of the Heartlands and all of the Sword Coast and Moonsea North, it’s too cold in winter for silkworms to survive—and most attempts to keep them alive in heated dwellings and warehouses fail because the heating makes the microclimate in the rooms where the silkworms are kept too dry. Also, tiny mites that eat and sicken and ultimately kill silkworms are present in quantities in any home that has dogs, cats, and a lot of traffic (particularly children, at play) with the outdoors and farm animals.
What certain individuals in Sembia (concerned with shipping of fruits and fine textiles without much mold growth and ruination) thought of was that light, moisture, temperature, and other things need to be “right” for silkworms to produce superior silk. So they started tinkering—and their “best conditions” are their secrets, if they can be said to have any. Their output is still small and uneven in quality, so the Shou silk remains highly prized (and in fact, folk wisdom up and down the Sword Coast makes Sembian silk command higher prices and be bought more quickly and avidly if it’s passed off as Shou silk).
The Yarnmaster family rose to wealth and importance by perfecting faster, larger looms for the weaving of everyday bulk textiles. Silk was a small, high-end portion of the field they worked in, never their daily bread-and-butter—but over the years, they have been increasingly active in sourcing the cheapest raw materials for all weaving, manipulating market prices, and “playing” rulers, merchant groups, and rival trade cabals to keep supplies ample and prices low to feed their looms. So, yes, Yarnmasters were traveling all over the known Realms, trading (and manipulating) energetically. In recent years, the Yarnmasters are very much involved in the Sembian silk business.
There are at least seven Sembian merchant family cartels involved in silk-making within Sembia; the families are the Arrandamars (a large lusty, jovial, rip-roaring clan), the Brethrents (dignified, discreet, secretive, conservative; owning much city properties and avoiding publicity), the Calathnars (haughty, arrogant, and swift to violence and the use of poison), the Marynters (fashion-setters and seekers of the new and the innovative and fads that can be exploited), the Ondremmeths (a physically large and strong family who are hard bargainers, armed enforcers of contract details, miserly and governed by greed), the Pendrels (seafaring merchant fleet owners and old-guard “swap this for that” dockside manygoods traders), and the Yarnmasters.
I hope this is of help. Please feel free to ask followups.
Ed

So saith Ed. Creator of Sembia, and a man I happen to know has slept a time or two on silk sheets . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2012 :  16:24:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. Creator of Sembia, and a man I happen to know has slept a time or two on silk sheets . . .
love,
THO

I'm more interested in you and silk sheets, myself.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2012 :  16:53:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

love,
THO

I'm more interested in whether they use silk worms or if they've adapted the process to giant spiders as well.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2012 :  00:51:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

love,
THO

Sembia. The Lady Hooded One. Silk sheets.

Hmmm. Campaign ideas are forming...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2012 :  02:57:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahem. Gentlesirs, let's not get into questions of how far an aroused lady (or even me) can slide on silk sheets, shall we?

sleyvas, I think Ed has something up his sleeve regarding giant spider "silk" and its uses and the trade in it. Off your post goes to him, to see if it's NDA or whether he can share . . .

Me, I'll be over here, happily remembering the first time I was bound with silk stockings. Or as Ed prefers to call them: "silk stalkings"
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2012 :  20:00:28  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Hi Ed, THO, and fellow scribes!

I've got a pair of subjects to offer that came to me whilst reclining in a dental chair one day (no cavities thank goodness, and plenty of time for realms-wondering!)

1.) Ed, are there people in the realms that make a living practicing dental care/cosmetics on others? These would mostly be people in the big cities that had a population that could afford this luxury. I remember one of my old DMs used such an NPC and called him a "smilebright", which was as good a name as any. Would the practice be paired with another service such as barbering? IIRC, you or THO did recently discuss using certain herbs or brews to banish "morning breath" and the like, but not specifically this topic.

2.) In the wake of the Spellplague, and with Mystra, Azuth, and Deneir no longer amongst the pantheon, who safeguards against the unscrupulous and false use of "personal mage sigils"? I remember this was discussed in a 2ed sourcebook, but the name escapes me. Do they still exist, or has their use died out with the Weave?

As always, my thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2012 :  20:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'm more interested in whether they use silk worms or if they've adapted the process to giant spiders as well.

Giant spider silk is widely used in the Underdark, of course, but on the surface, one source is the Khopet Dag, in the Hordelands, from whence a lot of spidersilk comes.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2012 :  00:28:27  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

Hi Ed, THO, and fellow scribes!
1.) Ed, are there people in the realms that make a living practicing dental care/cosmetics on others? These would mostly be people in the big cities that had a population that could afford this luxury. Would the practice be paired with another service such as barbering?

Aye you are spot on Aysen, take for instance Vilnar Orsborg barber, perfumer, tattoo artist from FRQ1 Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, as someone who combines multiple jobs for the village, though I suspect he is by no means a luxury only service provider.

A question to Ed and THO please: Can you share any more lore on Vilnar of Eveningstar please?

Aysen:
There are also 'cosmetics' experts (some using permanent magic) that can be employed by very rich merchants for cartloads of gold to 'pretty up' ones daughter/son in the hopes that she/he marries into nobility in Waterdeep, Cormyr, Baldurs Gate etc (Lonthalin Mintar and Talessyr Tranth from Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast are known in Baldurs Gate as artisans who can shape hair and features and other cosmetics). Ed has spoken about this before at the keep I am sure.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 23 Mar 2012 00:35:04
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2012 :  01:35:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Yes, he has, and unless I'm mistaken, "smilebright" is an Ed term.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2012 :  06:23:04  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Where in the (1300s) Realms would Ed say the best place to put a society somewhat similar to the one in Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman's Riverside books be?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2012 :  17:16:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes.
I bring a swift Ed reply to Kajehase:

Great books! (I have a soft spot for PRIVILEGE OF THE SWORD, myself.) I have two "best places" for you: rural Tethyr and Chessenta/Starmantle/the Vilhon.

So saith Ed. Who is deep in new Realms work for our future pleasure...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2012 :  19:45:20  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Many thanks Ed (and I share that soft spot).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2012 :  01:40:25  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
I bring you the latest words of Ed, this time in response to Markustay's queries: "Does the Obarskyr lineage extend backwards as well? Will we ever find out about the original, pre-Cormyrian Obarskyrs? If there is a branch of that family tree (I'm thinking somewhere in The North), would they be considered Obarskyrs, or not really, since the 'branching' of the family predates the founding of Cormyr itself? By the same logic, does that mean the branch that Suzarra continued on in Impiltur would also not be 'Royals', because she left Cormyr before her son became king (even though the son she took with her was the brother of the first king)?"
Ed replies:

Of course the Obarskyr lineage extends back into the past. However, the recorded lineage (that hasn't been published yet) doesn't cover much about those elder ancestors. I hope we'll someday learn more about them, yes, but I honestly haven't the faintest when or how, right now. Other fish are frying . . .
What Garen Thal posted about their eligibility for the Dragon Throne is (of course) in every sense correct. While farflung relations (who are far, far fewer than some scribes have been speculating) may even be Obarskyr by surname, they're not "our royal family" to Cormyreans.
Sorry.
(However, in this regard, I do have more up my sleeve than just my arm. ;} )

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, Cormyr, and so on.
love to all,
THO

Well, I hope you have good laundry facilities to deal with the other fish frying up your sleeve... and now that I've mangled those metaphors thoroughly, how long do we devoted Realms fans have to wait for the fruits of those labours (other than a charred and rather odiferous shirt)?

Edit: Sorry; I had to cut that short due to (ironically) smoke in the kitchen. The fact that I'm a horrid cook probably explains why mangling culinary metaphors comes so naturally to me. But I do have a question for you, or any other contributor to the Realms who can help. I'm a slightly-OCD amateur genealogist, hence my obsessive interest in things Lineage-related, and I was wondering if there are any Realmsian genealogies that aren't covered by NDA. Also, I was wondering if the long-ago-hinted-at familial connection between Manshoon and the Shoons of Calimshan/Tethyr/Amn is any closer to being fleshed out (pardon the pun, given the nature of Shoon VII). I won't ask the other burning question, largely because I've asked it before, and you've just told us that the answer is still "not yet"... but be assured that I'm still interested in the answer becoming "yes" (and I've let WotC know this as well).

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 24 Mar 2012 02:00:36
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2012 :  02:02:53  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

THO... has Ed ever considered having a character in one of his home games or books use the phrase By AO's Unobservant gaze?

I'm not Ed, but I'd venture to say, not in his home games, just because of the origin (that we know) of Ao in the Realms. As for in a book, I think it would be a great line... particularly given how silent Ao was (or seemed to be) during the Spellplague...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2012 :  14:55:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
sfdragon, it's highly unlikely that anyone in the Realms would use such an oath.
Very, very few people in the Realms have ever heard of Ao - - and many of those who have are priests or sages who hold widely differing views of who or what Ao is, who argue with others "in the know" about Ao all the time.
We real-world scribes know a lot more about Ao (or THINK we do; again, whose words about Ao can we trust? All deities have a built-in bias about what they tell their priests) than folk in the Realms do . . . and if you check back over the published Realmslore about ao, it should strike you that even we actually know very little about Ao.
Perhaps he's a convenient fiction to "explain way" the unexplainable (when it comes the divine "deaths" and doings of the gods...or perhaps there is an Overgod, but "ao" is merely an alias, and what we've been told about Ao is all wrong.
We just don't know.
(I ran this reply of mine past Ed, and he responded, "Well said. As valid as anything I've heard on the matter thus far.")
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2012 :  15:26:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
They use silk up in Canada? Too damn cold, IMO...

Give me a big ol' down comforter anyday, and some nice, warm cotton sheets.

Then again, if the right person were on it, I'd probably hop on a bed-of-nails.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  16:51:03  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed,

Ed, would you be willing to postulate on what effect, if any, the blood of Oraundalaghhaumtalattor would have on jaod that were riding the face of a human who drinks the dragon’s blood?

Would the blood excite the jaod as it is said to do to humans? Would it make the jaod temporarily useless as a means of disguise?

Or would the jaod negate the lesser effects of the blood, allowing a drinker to get the main benefit without becoming overly stimulated by it?

I have this idea about a long-lived Merendil wearing a jaod as a disguise. His jaod then becomes attracted to anything magical or otherwise enspelled by old Oraun (such as treasure from its hoard), but the creature didn't obtain this ability until after the jaod was exposed to the blood of the dragon.

Is this plausible from your point of view?

Thank you in advance, as always!

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 26 Mar 2012 17:48:24
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  16:35:19  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello again Ed and THO,

I just learned about a book by Edward E. Hale called A Man Without a Country. Set during the Civil War, main character is an innocent man caught up in a conspiracy. During his trial, he remarks with some bitterness that he wished to be done with the United States. So the judge sentenced him to live the rest of his life in a cabin aboard a U.S. navy ship, never to be told about his home country again.

This got me to thinking about cruel and unfair punishment and inspired a couple questions for you.

1) Have Cormyr’s Kings ever meted punishment in response to flippant remarks, such that nobles and everyone else felt compelled to remember it’s quite possible to live and die by your word at Court?

2) Regarding Cormyr (and the wider Realms, if something outside Cormyr comes immediately to mind), can you share some singular instances of particularly creative or harsh punishments, as well as mistaken justice, handed down by any of Cormyr’s rulers, War Wizards or angry nobles?

Thank you again!

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  18:47:57  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

2) Regarding Cormyr (and the wider Realms, if something outside Cormyr comes immediately to mind), can you share some singular instances of particularly creative or harsh punishments, as well as mistaken justice, handed down by any of Cormyr’s rulers, War Wizards or angry nobles?

In one of the precursors of this thread, we learned that a war wizard once teleported a miller who preferred to set his mill on fire to paying the proper tax (or something similar to that) into the blazing mill.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  21:03:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jeremy, right off the top of my head: Salamber meted out LOTS of cruel, casual "justice." If he was in a bad mood, and you so much as looked at him in what he considered the wrong way . . .
Or so Ed has told us, in-game, many a time.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  21:14:44  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Thank you both, Kajehase and THO. :)

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  21:29:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
You can bet that whenever the mind-reading Purple Gestapo is called in to mete law, the offender's punishment will be at least as harsh as the victim suffered. And woe be to ye who dares harm the crown or nobility of Cormyr.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000