Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  18:00:45  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
After looking at the map of Faerun again - I'm still trying to find what Markustay saw and asked you a mysterious yes-or-no question about some time ago - another question struck me. The answer is probably NDA, but:

Why was the area now known as the Misty Forest spared the fate suffered by the rest of the forest (now known as the High Moor) in the Dark Disaster?

As always, many thanks for whatever you can say about this.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 03 Mar 2012 18:02:00
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  19:37:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
It was an 'area effect' spell... of epic proportions.

Also, given how certain other things work with Elven High Magic, it may have been 'erased' from an earlier point in-time (which means the original Miyertar civilization could possibly still exist on Abeir, and given how Khelben 'brought back' that city, it is even more likely that there is an 'echo' of Miyeritar 'somewhere').

@Wooly - now I will have to add "Endiae" to my map of the Shadowfel, if and when I ever decide to do one. It will be located near the Isle of lost items (which is mostly filled with keys and socks).

Question for Ed:
Does the Obarskyr lineage extend backwards as well? Will we ever find out about the original, pre-Cormyrian Obarskyrs? If there is a branch of that family tree (I'm thinking somewhere in The North ), would they be considered Obarskyrs, or not really, since the 'branching' of the family predates the founding of Cormyr itself? By the same logic, does that mean the branch that Suzarra continued on in Impiltur would also not be 'Royals', because she left Cormyr before her son became king (even though the son she took with her was the brother of the first king)?

If a lost branch of the pre-Cormyrian family exists, could any of them be named Hornweather?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Mar 2012 06:52:23
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  23:55:05  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

<snip>
Question for Ed:
Does the Obarskyr lineage extend backwards as well? Will we ever find out about the original, pre-Cormyrian Obarskyrs? If there is a branch of that family tree (I'm thinking somewhere in The North ), would they be considered Obarskyrs, or not really, since the 'branching' of the family predates the founding of Cormyr itself? By the same logic, does that mean the branch that Suzarra continued on in Impiltur would also not be 'Royals', because she if Cormyr before her son became king (even though the son she took with her was the brother of the first king)?

I believe I asked a similar question somewhere (possibly not in this scroll) rather recently, and the answer (from Garen Thal, IIRC) was that no, descendants of Ondeth's and Suzara's younger son would not be eligible heirs until and unless the entire Cormyr Obarskyr line (and all the bastard descendants therefrom) and all three Silver royal houses were completely extinguished. Edit: The link is General Forgotten Realms Chat: Obarskyrs in Impiltur. Look for Garen Thal's post from March 1, time 02:27. I will, of course, leave it to Ed and THO to confirm, but I think we can trust the source.

quote:
If a lost branch of the pre-Cormyrian family exists, could any of them be named Hornweather?

I'd love to know where you're going with this one, MT...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 04 Mar 2012 00:01:15
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  00:29:13  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Hi Ed

Are we likely to see any more stories about Kurdag and the Exploding Herb Alchemy Shop?

Inquiring minds etc

Cheers

Damian

http://www.drivethrufiction.com/product_info.php?products_id=100041&affiliate_id=22713&src=RPGNews

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  17:37:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Damian, I think Ed was asked to write a short "establish the character" story for the bomb-hurling kobold, who is one of an iconic group of (four?) adventurers for the Shadowsfall setting, something akin to the iconic characters used as examples of character classes in the 3rd Edition D&D rulebooks.
So you may well see more fiction with Kurdag in it, but it probably won't be by Ed. However, given how busy he keeps himself and how well he gets along with most companies in the field, you never know...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  00:07:48  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Damian, I think Ed was asked to write a short "establish the character" story for the bomb-hurling kobold, who is one

Thank you - its good to see how the world of digital publishing helps gets these sort of stories to the masses at a very reasonable price, something that (probaly) wouldn't be possible in printed format.

Looking forward to a few more shorties from Ed for less than a pound

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 05 Mar 2012 16:03:11
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  13:07:11  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Two new questions, connected to the recent questions regarding Cormyr and Royal lineages:
Firstly, how common is it for the women (whether noble or not) of Cormyr to engage in war? Not as a last resort; as their primary occupation. Alusair always seemed to be completely alone int his regard, but in Cormyr: a Novel, the person who seemed closest to Duar and fouight by his side was Elvarin Truesilver. Was this a by-product of those desperate times, or is Alusair not the first noblewoman in the history of Cormyr to take up the sword and become a warrior? If so, can Ed furnish us with further details of such warrior-women and their exploits, and particularly more details regarding Elvarin?
Secondly, what can Ed tell us about these nobles of Cormyr beyond what is written in sourcebooks, whether before or after the Spellplague - Casplar Hundyl Immerdusk, Lord Dhalmass Rallyhorn and Alisanda Rayburton?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  15:52:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Cormyr also had a 'Warrior Queen', IIRC.

EDIT:
I think it was Gantharla. There was also Enchara of Esparin (who married into the Obarskyrs). After some very minor net-digging, there was supposedly 7 warrior queens of Cormyr.

EDIT2: After slightly more digging, I find Cormyr had 7 ruling queens (up until the end of the 3e era), but not all of them may have been 'warrior queens' - my mistake.

(THIS is the thread I have been referencing.)
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

That was someone's 'maiden name'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Mar 2012 16:08:02
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  23:00:35  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

That was someone's 'maiden name'.

I remember now... it's been a while since I read those books. Looking forward to your reply, Ed... assuming it's not 'NDA'...

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  00:38:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring you the latest words of Ed, this time in response to Markustay's queries: "Does the Obarskyr lineage extend backwards as well? Will we ever find out about the original, pre-Cormyrian Obarskyrs? If there is a branch of that family tree (I'm thinking somewhere in The North), would they be considered Obarskyrs, or not really, since the 'branching' of the family predates the founding of Cormyr itself? By the same logic, does that mean the branch that Suzarra continued on in Impiltur would also not be 'Royals', because she left Cormyr before her son became king (even though the son she took with her was the brother of the first king)?"
Ed replies:

Of course the Obarskyr lineage extends back into the past. However, the recorded lineage (that hasn't been published yet) doesn't cover much about those elder ancestors. I hope we'll someday learn more about them, yes, but I honestly haven't the faintest when or how, right now. Other fish are frying . . .
What Garen Thal posted about their eligibility for the Dragon Throne is (of course) in every sense correct. While farflung relations (who are far, far fewer than some scribes have been speculating) may even be Obarskyr by surname, they're not "our royal family" to Cormyreans.
Sorry.
(However, in this regard, I do have more up my sleeve than just my arm. ;} )

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, Cormyr, and so on.
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  00:49:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. I also received this, from Ed, a partial reply in passing to Menelvagor's queries: "Firstly, how common is it for the women (whether noble or not) of Cormyr to engage in war? Not as a last resort; as their primary occupation. Alusair always seemed to be completely alone in this regard, but in Cormyr: a Novel, the person who seemed closest to Duar and fought by his side was Elvarin Truesilver. Was this a by-product of those desperate times, or is Alusair not the first noblewoman in the history of Cormyr to take up the sword and become a warrior?"
Ed replies:

Making war (or even border patrolling) was NOT Alusair's primary occupation.
However, I take your intent.
Many women in Cormyr have joined the Purple Dragons, taken employment as armed guards, and so on. Less than an average of, say, fifteen percent or so in peacetime, but that percentage doubles if you include (volunteer) militia membership. And rises sharply if the realm is actively at war. It comes down to more women than men being better at craftwork, and so needed not just "in the home," but to keep making and repairing things and keeping foodstuffs moving to supply garrisons and armies on the move. (And more men than women having the strength and interest to drill with polearms and swing swords.) Aside from the skilled "making of things," women have always excelled and predominated in Cormyr at horsebreeding and horse training (and the breeding and training of oxen and mules, too).
So female warriors are by no means unknown, but are certainly less common than male warriors.

So saith Ed. Who tells me some of your requests about specific individuals are NDA, but will tell you so properly when he's had the time to check details on this.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  10:48:32  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Expanding on the question about what does and doesn't use Weave: what about secondary power sources (quasimagic)? Again, dead magic areas give this direct and very noticeable in-universe practical implications.
Does a mythallar's emission/emanation/reflection of the Weave/whatever, once produced, power spells up all by itself? I.e. suppose an active mythallar sits in the area of working Weave / Shadow Weave (whichever it uses); a Netherese quasimagic item powered by it enters a "dead" area, but remains in the mythallar's range - is it still working normally, or rendered inactive like a normal magic item or what?
The same for infusion quasimagic: when a faerzess-soaked drow sword enters a dead magic area - what happens? Does it shut down immediately and completely? Or does it remain a highly enchanted weapon for all intent and purpose until its radiation recharge depletes? And does it begin to deplete as soon as removed from the faerzess area or only upon entering dead magic? In either case, how were the answers to these questions changed by Liriel's patch?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  18:05:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
The Mythalars area-of-effect would stop at the border of the dead magic zone, regardless.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  18:40:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I should note in his reply above that when Ed says "craftwork," he means in the Realms sense (making of items sold in shops, a.k.a. "goods guildwork"), not in the modern North American "arts and crafts" meaning of the word.
Latest Ed news: the "When The Villain Comes Home" anthology is rolling along; he's penned a new short-short story about Kurdag the bomb-hurling kobold ("Can I blow it up now? Can I? How'bout NOW?") for the Shadowlands Pathfinder project that some alert scribes have spotted as a 99-cent e-story (not avilable in print form) at DriveThru, presumably elsewhere soon; the FORESHADOWS: THE GHOSTS OF ZERO book/music CD/art near-future dystopian sf anthology that Ed and several other familiar-to-D&D-fiction-readers authors have stories in is out; THE NEW HERO Volume 1 (edited by Robin Laws, and again with contributions by Ed and by other writers familiar to gamers) is gearing up for release from Stone Skin Press . . . and Ed is hard at work on lots of stuff he can't talk about yet. Truly, the man never sleeps. :}
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  00:20:29  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
Quick question:

Obviously, the empire of Shou Lung exports silk to Faerun and just as obviously, this silk is in great demand, since it's worth it to cart it over thousands of miles.

I noticed a long time ago that Sembia appears to make its own silk and I immediately thought of the repeated attempts by nations in our history to break the Chinese silk monopoly by stealing silkworms and the secrets of keeping and breeding them. And that sounds just like something the Sembians would do. So I thought: "Cool, some enterprising adventuring merchant stole the secret of silk!". I also noticed that the secret seems to be confined to them, not shared with Heartlands powers, and that makes sense. If you manage to steal it from the original owner, you're going to be wary of anyone trying the same thing with you.

Shou silk is still sought after and worth moving over all that land, which costs a fortune, which means either that the Sembians can't meet but a fraction of the demand or that Sembian silk is somehow inferior. I suspect that it's a combination of both, but more importantly the latter. There are likely to be many problems with precisely duplicating the optimal conditions and diet, especially if you stole the breeding stock and bribed a servant to instruct you in how it's done.

But, and don't worry, there is a question here, I noticed something else, too. When I was thinking about who'd have the secret in Sembia and how rich this would make a merchant family, I remembered that the Overmaster of Sembia in the 50s and the 60s was named Yarnmaster. How does that fit into your 'textile-makers sick and tired of paying through the nose for Shou silk and send an adventurous young family member on a quest over half the world'!

So, my question is, is the Yarnmaster family involved in the Sembian silk business?

A yes or no answer would do.

But if you're feeling generous, I'd appreciate being told if any of the above is off-base, if, for example, silk making is not a secret at all in the Realms, but there is some other reason it is still profitable to cart Shou silk to Faerun. I'd also love any and all details on the state of Sembian silk making and trade, along with information on who controls the secret.

I've got players controlling a merchant house in the Vast and the ambitious Murlak Solstice, formerly of Saerloon, could get involved in trying to spread the knowledge of silk making to other... deserving parties.

*Generally, ones owned at least 50% by said Murlak Solstice, de jure or de facto.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  22:20:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
^ Good question ^

Ed, I just read an interview with you about the new comic - what era is it set in?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  04:35:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

As a follow to MT's above post:

Are we not going to see some old FR characters?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

LetumLux
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  14:46:29  Show Profile Send LetumLux a Private Message
Sorry if this has been answered before, there are so many pages of search results to wade through!

Are there any Netherese (or Loross, for that matter) words or phrases that Ed crafted with his languamancy, besides the names of the Enclaves? I've been poking around, and the most I could find was an old post from 2000 that stated “Mishkel” as a Netherese word for
"sphere" and “Alkior” as a Netherese word for "shatter". ( http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0006d&L=realms-l&D=1&P=21615 )

Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  18:33:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
LetumLux, I know Ed provided TSR with a brief Netherese glossary just before the original slade-penned Netheril boxed set was written, and that it wasn't used at the time. That makes it NDA by definition, but off your query goes to Ed to see if he can reveal any of its contents, or new linguistic lore . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  18:37:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello again, fellow scribes.
Markustay and Dennis, I strongly suspect the answers to both of your questions are NDA by the very nature of the licensing agreement between IDW and WotC, though I think one of Ed's interviews with various comic sites and blogs and publications MIGHT reveal the time setting of the comic (an interview that isn't out yet; the "might" is due to the fact that the wording in any such interview has to be approved by Wizards before it can be published).
Dennis, I'm sure Ed will write elderly characters as well as youthful ones into the comic.
If you mean ESTABLISHED characters...well, of course such details will be NDA. Try asking Apple the technical details of their future products.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  23:26:35  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

A Xraunrarr question, if I may: Do Xraunrarr keep humans in stasis like humans keep wine in a bottle?

I hope I haven't run smack into a brand new NDA with this question. But then again maybe I do, as this might mean something more on the Xraunrarr will be printed soon.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2012 :  11:09:41  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
I'll throw a question into the mix based around the Baldur's Gate topic in the general chat forum. It may (probably) hit NDA walls, but can't hurt to try, I guess.

Is Ed ever consulted specifically for video game adaptions of the FR setting? I mean, he may give advice or send in notes/lore if it's needed for a particular publication that WotC is planning to release, but is he ever asked specifically for input to video games? Does it happen often? If so, how does it work? Since game companies and WotC (and TSR before them) would have their own arrangement, does Ed get any input into that, even if it's just one company or the other asking for notes he has about a specific region that they're planning on using?

And, if he can say anything at all, might Ed have been consulted recently with regard to the region around perhaps, say, the Sword Coast?

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  06:19:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LetumLux

I've been poking around, and the most I could find was an old post from 2000 that stated “Mishkel” as a Netherese word for
"sphere" and “Alkior” as a Netherese word for "shatter". ( http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0006d&L=realms-l&D=1&P=21615 )

Those words are fan-created and not from Ed. Although they sound appropriately Realmsian.:)

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  16:16:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Not to 'step on toes' or anything, but I have always assumed that the names in the Netheril box were translations into common/English for our benefit.

And hopefully (hint hint), someday someone will write an article about 'ancient Netheril' and we could get some of the Netherese names (UNtranslated).

I have to admit, this has been one of my fondest wishes for quite some time (since I found out where those names really came from). Maybe 5e can fix this? PLEEEEEEASE?

BTW: What language did the Netherese speak? (sorry, no longer have sources)

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Mar 2012 16:17:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  17:51:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

BTW: What language did the Netherese speak? (sorry, no longer have sources)

Pretty sure it was Loross, as mentioned earlier.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  00:46:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Netherese was the language of "Low Netheril," and is an ancestor of Halruuan. Loross was the language of "High Netheril" -- the floating enclaves. Both used the Draconic script according to the FRCS.

For the Netherese survivors and descendents who created Halruaa, while Halruaan itself is a descendent tongue of both Netherese and Lorass... there still may be some who revere or retain parts of the older individual languages.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  13:30:27  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I'm creating a Lantanese Gnome character who I envisage as something of a mercantile ambassador selling Lantanese gadgets around the Realms. I wonder if Ed can supply us with some names, and perhaps a few details concerning different Lantanese/Merchant 'guilds' (if such things exist there) and the inventions/creations they specialize in?

Many thanks!
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  13:35:51  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message
In addition to the above, I've also given him the Animal Friends feat, and I was wondering if Ed could tell us a little about some of Lantan's indigenous wildlife (particularly small feathered or furred critters).

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  15:55:29  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
A question for Ed from his latest Eye on the Realms article The Merendil Gold.

Does the Merendil lore regarding Alathea Merendil speak to whether or not she bore and reared children during her rumored three centuries and 43 husbands worth of life?

Spiteful and hedonistic though she may have been, I wonder just how many Merendil descendants can draw their lineage back to her—as well what effect the blood of the dragon had on them while they were in her womb?

Great article, by the way. Already itching for the next one.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  17:30:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Ed has promised me he will send me some more substantial Realmslore answers the moment he can snatch the time, but he answered Jeremy's above post with lightning speed:

Hi, Jeremy! Glad you're enjoying these Eye pieces; I had a blast doing this year's crop. :}
Although I can't yet share details (I'll check, and see what I can reveal), Alathea Merendil had quite a few children early on in her life, and they in turn had quite a few descendants.
As for the effects of the blood of the dragon: NDA right now, but hopefully soon . . .
And I can't yet let slip too much more Xraunrarr lore, but YES, they keep and have kept human prisoners, and yes, some of them have been in magical stasis.
(Cue obligatory "bwoohahaha." ;} )

So saith Ed, creator of the Realms. When the lightbulb that's the sun needs changing, he's the guy who goes and gets the folding ladder.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 15 Mar 2012 17:43:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000