Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  23:27:54  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO: I have about 23 questions I'd like to ask Ed about the Xraunrarr, but instead of cluttering things up here I decided to start a thread on the WotC forums asking them to ask you to write more articles about the Xraunrarr.

I know you're busy, Ed, but I hope they'll ask you to do it.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  01:15:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

That title makes me think that most likely it alludes to the reversal of the fate of most of the major characters in the TW. Rivalen's fall, the destruction of many of Shar's plans, Mask's most awaited Return, Mephistopheles's downfall, Brennus's revenge...and many more.

I really hope you're right on these, particularly where Shar and Mask are concerned.

Ed said we've not seen the last of Mask (yet). Obviously, he's here to stay...longer. Vala's fate (which he orchestrated) must be part of his myriad of contingencies.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  16:08:09  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message
Dear THO & Ed,

It’s clear that Ed receives a great many queries here, and answering them all is a nigh impossible task, but may I throw in a meek and humble reminder concerning a couple of my questions from the turn of the year? Forgive me if this is breaking ‘Keep etiquette; I’m sure that some scribes have been waiting longer than I, but even knowing an NDA is firmly in place around my queries is a worthwhile answer (as it gives me carte-blanche to go ahead and fill in the blanks with my own ideas). My two queries were as follows:

I do have a question for Ed now. I'm writing an adventure in which the PCs will be searching for a lost piece of magic left behind by the wizards cabal known as the Circle of Flames (or the Circle of the Flames) in Myth Drannor. The Circle are referenced briefly in "Ruins of Myth Drannor" and a few other sources, but I wonder if Ed could tell us a little more about them?

Specifically, I'm seeking details of their school or stronghold within Myth Drannor - the ruins will be the eventual destination and main dungeon for the quest. Any tidbits on defenses or magic therein would be icing on the cake!

Furthermore, the link between the (first incarnation of) War Wizards and the Circle of Flames will be central to the adventure's plot. "Ruins of Myth Drannor" tells us survivors of the Circle of Flames trained some of Cormyr's first War Wizards. Can Ed share anything of who these mages were, and what exactly he taught them.

Hopefully none of this NDA (shhh ... don't even say the word!)

And ...

Can Ed share with us any details concerning the mages that Vangerdahast defeated from 1306 to 1308 DR in his reordering of Cormyr's War Wizards. A few names and tidbits of lore would be great. Is there any chance any of them had secret holdings as yet undiscovered (and can we have the details of such places?).

The Candlekeep scribes and in particular Garen Thral have helped me establish there's little existing information concerning this time, but also that the details might well be locked inside an NDA. However, there's no harm in asking.

My adventure's plot goes something like this; Those wizards of the Circle of Flames who escaped Myth Drannor to Cormyr took with them some of the magical secrets of the City of Song. When the wizards started training the nascent War Wizards, these secrets were passed down to them only to disappear in Salember's reign.

Following Azoun's death, Vangerdahast 'retires' but is seeking powerful magic to defend the Forest Kingdom. Through intermediaries, he hires the PCs to investigate sites whichmay have been the hideouts of traitors slain back in '08. In such a holding, the PCs stumble upon some of the secrets of the Circle, clues of powerful magic that remains in their ruined headquarters in Myth Drannor. Such is the potential of this magic Vangey is prepared to risk alienating Cormyr's relationship with the retaken realm by sending the PCs to steal the magic from under the elves' noses. As PCs are a neutral party, Cormyr has maximum deniability should anything go wrong.

Thanks again, and forgive my insolence
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  18:18:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Malaria Moon, I'd got ahead and create whatever best suits your campaign, if I were you. Ed tells me that details about both of your queries are NDA right now, due to some future plans that may take some time to see the light of day.
Ed can tell you that the Circle of Flames cabal had two bases in Myth Drannor: a public meeting-place, and (as they acquired rivals) a secret one located in a tower in someone's mansion (palatial private home). And, I'm afraid, that's about all he can tell you.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  18:24:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi once more, fellow scribes. Jeremy, Ed would LOVE to elaborate more on Xraunrarr. By all means express your yen for more to the folks at Wizards; they DO listen (which is why, last year, we got a followup Ed Eye column about the Circle of Fangs ring). Then again, Ed does work almost a year in advance on these, so a Xraunrarr followup might not appear in a month or two . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

thomaslove92
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  19:10:53  Show Profile Send thomaslove92 a Private Message
Greetings THO, I may just be impatient, but I think my post was overlooked. Easily enough done, if there's no answer to my question...no problem.

quote:
Originally posted by thomaslove92

Hi folks,

My question is regarding the history of Baldur's Gate, Balduran and the settlements that came before.

Here's what we know so far...

-16 DR Calimport p19 uses Baldur's Gate as a landmark to describe the reach of the Plague of Scholars.
I Appreciate this could simply refer to the area now known as Baldur's Gate
(...All cities across southern Faerûn, as far north as Baldur's Gate; lethargy and heavy sleep...)

227 DR George Krashos and Ed mentioned the settlement of Shavinar, founded by adventurer Orluth Tshahvur near where Baldur's Gate stands today. This settlement was built on a 'nameless cluster of fisherfolk huts'.

277 DR George Krashos and Ed then explained how the settlement fell to trolls.

"long ago" Multiple sources (FR Adventures, Volo's GTT Sword Coast etc) explain how, after gaining great wealth, Balduran invested into his small home port. Thanks to the donation the port soon became a thriving city...Baldur's Gate.

Ultimately I'm asking where does Balduran fit into all this? Did he invest into a settlement that sprouted from Shavinar's ruins? Or do these dates need to be updated?

Thanks you very much in advance
Regards
Thomas

If my question was too complicated...i'll shorten it,

Can Ed give us any dates regarding the life of Balduran?

Thanks again.
Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  19:19:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
The Hooded One gets every question to Ed. How long it takes for them to be answered varies greatly - sometimes it can take years, so if you have a question that's not been answered yet - stay patient, no need to repeat it.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

thomaslove92
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  19:27:47  Show Profile Send thomaslove92 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

The Hooded One gets every question to Ed. How long it takes for them to be answered varies greatly - sometimes it can take years, so if you have a question that's not been answered yet - stay patient, no need to repeat it.

Ahhh, fair enough. I'm just being paranoid...i will settle down. Sorry for re-post.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  20:13:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
No worries, judging by your post-count you couldn't be expected to know this (perhaps worth inserting something about this every fifth page or so, moderators?).

Edit: Hmm... sadly non-combative for my 1939th post.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 28 Feb 2012 21:17:54
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  20:27:25  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

... they DO listen (which is why, last year, we got a followup Ed Eye column about the Circle of Fangs ring).
That's awesome news! I'd wondered whether that article was a follow up based on fan requests or simply a product of Ed's ability to overwrite.

Now a question or three about Esparin’s royal regalia and its presence in Cormyr after the war against Nalavarra.

Ed, I’ve taken your adventure Lashan’s Fall and repurposed it for use in Cormyr in my Realms campaign. One of the more awesome treasure items in the adventure was a resplendent, gem-filled crown topped off with a gem of True Seeing.

One of the human PCs in my game recovered and now wears this crown, but none of the players know I’ve decided this is actually the Royal Crown of Esparin.

Your Elminster Must Die novels and one of your responses on this scroll gave me the idea of having the PCs be in Suzail during a Council of Nobles called by the Steel Regent, so I’m wondering how the characters would be treated/reacted to if they openly (but unknowingly) wore the Crown of Esparin in Suzail while the city is packed full of nobles, watchful War Wizards, nosey Purple Dragons guarding Suzail’s gates, merchants looking to make fast coin and other individuals?

I’m pretty sure Vangerdahast, Alaphondar and any High Herald would instantly recognize the crown if they saw it, but would anyone else?

I think word of the crown’s existence in Suzail would cause the Royal Court to conclude someone is agitating for parts of Cormyr to secede in the aftermath of the war, which ought to get the PCs hunted and apprehended for a front-and-center visit with Vangerdahast or even the Steel Regent.

What do you think?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  00:48:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

No worries, judging by your post-count you couldn't be expected to know this (perhaps worth inserting something about this every fifth page or so, moderators?).

Edit: Hmm... sadly non-combative for my 1939th post.

I've actually been suspecting this would come up again at some point.

I'll tinker with a brief "standard" message that I'll edit into both the opening post of the scroll, and something that I can repost when this query comes up in the future.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  05:03:48  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
Is there any other nigth clubs like the dragon rider's club across faerun that employes MAsked Dancers??? and if so, where and what are they named and who owns them?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  07:06:38  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message
Well, a question for Ed, though I guess he might not be able to answer?, so if anyone else knows please share, but what is all the NDA stuff in like 95% of all of Ed's answers.

Now I understand the basic NDA idea, but how does it apply to Ed and the Realms? NDA information is stuff that WotC has bought and owns, right? So Ed can't say anything about it as he does not own the information.

But even just a quick search through the ask Ed threads turns up hundreds and hundreds of answers that say NDA.

So how is that exactly? Does WotC really have something like a billion pages of Realmslore from Ed sitting around somewhere? How did Ed give so much to them? Is it just from editing? Did Ed turn in massive 500,000 word documents for every Realms book he has ever written and then WotC trims it down to just '96 pages'?

And if WotC does have billions of pages of Realms lore, er, why don't they use it? With just the information from the NDA's posted here they have at least enough to fill a book. Plus almost all of the information is quite high profile, important, or secret. In short, lots of information that any and every Realms fan wants. How many Realms fans would by the book 'Secrets of the Realms', or even just the 'Lost lore of the Realms'? I'd guess a lot....
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  07:55:46  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

Well, a question for Ed, though I guess he might not be able to answer?, so if anyone else knows please share, but what is all the NDA stuff in like 95% of all of Ed's answers.

Now I understand the basic NDA idea, but how does it apply to Ed and the Realms? NDA information is stuff that WotC has bought and owns, right? So Ed can't say anything about it as he does not own the information.

That's basically it, in a nutshell. I believe this question has been asked before; you might check out the "So Saith Ed" PDFs (link in The Sage's signature) or just try to search the archives via the site's search function... although Google Advanced Search, restricting results to the domain "forum.candlekeep.com" works better. Happy searching! If it hasn't been answered recently, The Sage, Wooly, or THO will clarify anything I've missed for you.

quote:

But even just a quick search through the ask Ed threads turns up hundreds and hundreds of answers that say NDA.

So how is that exactly? Does WotC really have something like a billion pages of Realmslore from Ed sitting around somewhere? How did Ed give so much to them? Is it just from editing? Did Ed turn in massive 500,000 word documents for every Realms book he has ever written and then WotC trims it down to just '96 pages'?

And if WotC does have billions of pages of Realms lore, er, why don't they use it? With just the information from the NDA's posted here they have at least enough to fill a book. Plus almost all of the information is quite high profile, important, or secret. In short, lots of information that any and every Realms fan wants. How many Realms fans would by the book 'Secrets of the Realms', or even just the 'Lost lore of the Realms'? I'd guess a lot....

More or less, anything that might conceivably be useful to a possible future product is protected by NDA. This includes actual planned products and those that aren't even a twinkle in the writer's eye yet. As a result, yes, there are piles of unreleased lore out there, both at WotC and at Ed's place. And I'd pay whatever I could afford to see it all. Really.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Feb 2012 07:59:03
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  08:29:07  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Aye bloodtide you have the right of it, Ed is an extremely talented writer who can knock up something very quickly at short notice, and yes he does have a basement or two (or indeed a cottage or two!) stuffed full of cardboard boxes of Realmslore.

My two favourite pieces regarding Ed's prodigious writing is the panel from the old Forgotten Realms comic when a bearded gentleman is driving into TSR on a counterbalance truck with a pallet of cardboard boxes full to brimming with papers on them! and the Karen Boomgaarden request for Ed to stop sending her any more stuff when TSR were first putting the Realms together for publication as the Waterdeep map took up so much floor space that it was impossible for her to get to the toilet!

And I think we would all like to see more of Ed'd Realms after the release of Elminster's guide to the Realms later this year so am looking forward to the next 750 volumes published once a month

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  19:41:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed! Hope things are going well, adn that you're remembering to sleep every now and then. A discussion of fallen dwarven fortresses in the Spine of the World in another thread got me thinking, and I decided to wander over here and ask the master.

The original question was whether the original dwarven names of three orc-occupied strongholds had ever been published. I wanted to expand that a bit. While Delzoun is long fallen, there are still a number of Hidden strongholds in the Spine. I was hoping you could share the names of a few of them, as well as the names of some that have fallen.

I'm not asking for anything like full write-ups, just something like the name, a general idea of location, what it was known for/produced, and what destroyed it/now lives in it (if it's fallen). And maybe a tidbit or two that would whet an adventurer's appetite, in the style of the old Current Clack. I know there's a (pardon the expression) mountain of lore about the Spine that's never seen the light, and I was hoping to chip into it a little.

Many thanks, as always.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  22:54:41  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
So, while searching the Ed archives for something else entirely (albeit related to Cormyr), I found the following from nearly seven years ago:
quote:
Posted by The Hooded One 02 May 2005
Hello, again, all.
Zandilar, Ed . . . adds an answer of sorts (sigh) to your comment: “Vangerdahast didn't pull Caladnei out of thin air, she must have been there in the background for a while - perhaps as one of the senior War Wizards? I mean, there'd be plenty of people who would be miffed at Caladnei leap frogging over them from nothing. So how well did Alusair know Caladnei prior to... hmm... Cormyr: A Novel? Was Caladnei even around prior to that novel? And if not, how is it that Vangerdahast expected the Obarskyrs (let alone the nobles) to accept her as his replacement?”
Ed speaks:

Ah, yes. I slipped a LITTLE about Caladnei’s past into ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER, but Vangey’s process of magically watching her from afar, covertly testing her, watching her some more, offering her the job, accepting but not accepting her refusal, getting the Obarskyrs to accept her, and so on - - as well as his motives for choosing a successor at last, and specifically choosing HER, is something I’d like to show fictionally, some day. If the opportunity ever arises.
I’m not sure if it will, but (ahem) I have plans. I hope they can be made to dovetail with those of a certain other scribe, but I can’t say more just yet. No matter how much I want to.
You are of course correct: Vangey did not choose Caladnei impulsively, by any means.

So saith Ed. Darn those NDAs and the need not to screw up future possibilities, even if they’re not NDA’ed yet. Ah, well: I hope in the fullness of time we shall all see . . .
love to all,
THO

So... did anything come out of these plans of yours yet, Ed? And if not, is there a chance that it may still happen in the future with the widely-speculated but (AFAIK) still-unconfirmed strategy for FR in the new edition? I know that curiosity killed the cat... but WotC would do well to remember that satisfaction brought him back.

Edit:
quote:
Posted by The Hooded One 04 May 2005
Hello, scribes. Well, what should I find in the old inbox but yet ANOTHER reply from Ed to Zandilar:
<chop>And yes, she does think she’s barren. Whether she really is or isn’t, I can’t tell you: yes, Vangey did something magical to prevent her bearing unwanted Obarskyr bastards, but whether or not his meddling was permanent, or still holds, remains mysterious. To everyone but him, heh-heh - - and no, he’s said nothing recently about it to Alusair. Just one more thing she’s wrestling with (because Caladnei insists she doesn’t know, and doesn’t know the right spells to try to find out without harming Alusair, both of them agree NO clergy can be consulted for fear of this becoming widespread knowledge, and for some reason Laspeera and Filfaeril refuse to discuss this matter at all, and have been able to murmur a reason why that’s ended all insisting on the part of both Alusair and Caladnei. Alaphondar may or may not know something, but he’s not talking either.
Ohh, Throne of the Dragon, there’s a lot of future Cormyr fiction that needs writing . . . :}
<snip>
You asked: “But is holding them to higher expectations the same as holding them to the expectation of heterosexuality only? Have there ever been homosexual rulers of Cormyr?”
Answers: No, and yes, but not openly (exclusively homosexual, that is). As to whom . . . no, it’s not revelation time yet. (That thundering sound you hear is another NDA curtain falling.) :}

So saith Ed. More and more interesting. However, there are OTHER sides to the Realms besides matters sexual, and Ed promises to deal with one of them next time.
love to all,
THO

And this is what I was looking for in my search... are we likely to have answers to these questions in the D&DNext Realms? Namely, (a) Does Azoun V have first-cousins? (I expect NDA at the moment, of course) and (b) Who are our closeted monarchs? I expect that a careful reading of the Cormyr succession in GHotR will give us enough hints to figure it out... but I still would love to see that Lineage come out (pun fully intended ).

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Feb 2012 23:09:19
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  00:07:27  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
Ed speaks:
Ah, yes. I slipped a LITTLE about Caladnei’s past into ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER, but Vangey’s process of magically watching her from afar, covertly testing her, watching her some more, offering her the job, accepting but not accepting her refusal, getting the Obarskyrs to accept her

Hi Jakk

Given what I have just posted in the 'Obarskys in Impiltur' thread, I really do the like the idea that Caladnei is working for and/or is perhaps related to descendants of Vaerom Obarskyr. That would explain why Vangy knew of her and why he was keeping tabs on her. He was in fact keeping tabs on all direct descendants of Ondeth (as per what the Mage Royal should do) in case they became an issue for Cormyr and/or they proved to be of the right character to invite back to strengthen Cormyr in general or in the case of the current Obarskyrs all dying he needed to 'plug the gap' so to speak and stop a civil war, (hence why Caladnei might just be the 'Hidden Heir' albeit in plain sight!).

Of course given the 'productivity' of Obarskyr men Vangy might have lots and lots of descendants of Ondeth et al to keep tabs on! (perhaps a project that we scribes can put together and make 'canon' as far as Candlekeep is concerned?)

Wild stab in the dark time here: Am wondering if Elminster is in fact a descendant of Ondeth or (more probably) an Obarskyr through one of Vaerom's five sons who left Cormyr when King Rhiiman made it clear to them that they were not welcome after the coup's in Impiltur? That would go some way to explaining his ongoing need to be involved in Cormyr without taking direct interest in it?

Of the two choices I would suspect that it is more likely that he is descendant from one of the five sons of Vaerom who moved to Westgate and then beyond as posted by Krash in the other thread. One of the sons headed east and his descendant was Uthgrael Aumar 'The Stag King' who founded Athalantar and was grand father to Elminster. Also the 'Stag King' fits nicely with Azoun V title of 'Stagmaster of the Realm' don't you think?

Ed, are these 'wild stabs in the dark' or does any of this make some sense and we patient scribes need to work on the theories some more to clean them up and get closer to the truth?

Kind regards

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  01:31:49  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Malaria Moon, I'd got ahead and create whatever best suits your campaign, if I were you. Ed tells me that details about both of your queries are NDA right now, due to some future plans that may take some time to see the light of day.
Ed can tell you that the Circle of Flames cabal had two bases in Myth Drannor: a public meeting-place, and (as they acquired rivals) a secret one located in a tower in someone's mansion (palatial private home). And, I'm afraid, that's about all he can tell you.
love,
THO

Tis all I need. My thanks to you both

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  06:25:52  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Posted by Blueblade 30 Dec 2011
Interestingly, Barastir, I once asked Ed directly, at a convention, if Larloch was or ever had been a Chosen.
Ed's reply: "Giving you a reply to that one would be very foolish on my part. Bwooohahahaha, and so forth."
Now, if that isn't a strong hint, I'll eat my left fo . . . well, no , I won't eat it. I might need it.
But . . .
Suggestive, huh?

BB... I guess you missed my conversation with THO regarding that very topic; see this scroll for my present speculations on Mystra (and those of others, not always on topic). The links in the first post... er, one of them, anyway... connect to a short exchange between THO and myself in Ed's scroll (I believe in 2010) in which certain things were confirmed in an implied manner... which is the best we can do when the publisher shares a "freedom of information" policy with the CIA... I believe Markustay made that comparison some years ago here.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  10:44:48  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Tantum all

A question for THO if I may? In the home campaign are Azoun, Fee et al referred to as King Azoun Cormyr, Queen Fee Cormyr or has the TSR/WoTC published Realms name of Obarskyr slipped into the game?

A question for Ed if I may based on the current threads about the Obarskyrs. It seems to me that the Obarskyrs are actually more important in the wider Realms than just Cormyr given their involvement in the Kingdom of Impiltur and Vaerom and his sons in Westgate. Would I be close in assuming that many disparate 'Kingdoms' around the Realms have been formed/taken over/supported by 'blood of the Obarskyrs' even if they are not using that actual name? Am wondering if the Obarskyr bloodline is somehow 'blessed'/fated to greatness by the 'Will of the Gods' and is another 'hidden in plain view' secret you put in the Realms for your players (and now the wider D&D community) to discover?

Best to all

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  03:19:50  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Well met, Ed and THO. I hope you're taking Hoondatha's advice and remembering to sleep once in a while; I've had some difficulties with that myself lately (too much on the brain, most of it Realms mysteries).
quote:
Posted by The Hooded One 19 Feb 2006

Hi again, fellow scribes. This time, Ed tries to give a useful reply to Nevorick’s query: “Lady Herald, I will take thy advice and ask for small kernels of knowledge from the Sage, Ed. After thy whispers, what can Ed say on the Cormyrian Kings, Belmuth and Arathra?”
Ed speaks:

quote:
I’m afraid NDA concerns will render me much more terse than I’d like to be, but here we go:

Belmuth “the Bastard” is considered the 35th Obarskyr monarch in Cormyr’s royal lineage. Born 304 DR, died 334 DR (reigned 328 DR to death). Succeeded the infant king Baerildo, and was succeeded by his son Sargrannon. Belmuth was called “the Bastard” because he was the illegitimate (and eldest) son of Ulbaeram (the 31st Obarskyr monarch).
Belmuth was a reluctant king, commanded to the throne at the height of the Thronestrife and wanting none of its perils for himself or his family. He spent much of his time vainly seeking a way to secretively flee Cormyr and go into hiding. His tormentor and the cause of his death was [NDA].
Belmuth was a tall, burly, quiet man, more interesting in hawking, riding the backlands, and tramping the forests (he liked hunting with the bow, but had little taste for spearing boar or any sort of hunting involving beaters, large groups of men, and chases) than chatter and intrigue and fine wines and luxuries. Awkward in public and at dancing, he would have changed his face and name in an instant if he’d ever found any magical means of so disguising himself and his family, so as to escape a life he wanted no part of. The Cormyr he ‘ruled’ was a land of unease among the commoners and terror at court, thanks again to [NDA].

Arathra “the Little Spider” is considered the 45th Obarskyr monarch of the royal line. Born 322 DR, died 348 DR (reigned 347 DR to death). Succeeded Jasl “the Royal Jester” (so called thanks to his cruel practical jokes) and was succeeded by Barander. Arathra’s nickname came from her (inherited) small, frail build, and from her venomous disposition (she was softly-smiling cruelty personified, and intrigues and treachery were her fascination, delight, and entertainment). In the years before ascending the throne she took a consort [NDA] and bore him three sons, two of whom, [NDA and NDA], in the fullness of time, wore the crown.

As you can see, skeletal lore indeed. I must warn that I’m not going to say much more about these monarchs, and not give much greater depth if asked about others, either, because although I’d love to share everything freely with all scribes of Candlekeep and Realms fans, I’m NOT going to imperil the chances of getting the lore of Cormyr featured in some sort of official WotC print publication. Nevorick, you must rest assured that the Lineage as it stands now (although we’ll always want to add more detail to it, of course) presents a line of succession that has no holes in logic. Weirdnesses, yes, but everything’s explained if you read the entire document - - and the scribes THO named have done yeoman service in that regard.

So saith Ed. Who may be as curious as I am as to why these two monarchs in particular interest you, Nevorick. If you’re interested in setting a campaign way back during their times, you’ll have to concoct a LOT of information about the wider Realms around Cormyr yourself, and there’s a dark shadow hanging over the Forest Kingdom that Ed’s trying to avoid saying too much about. If you’re planning to have someone or someones around today who’s directly descended from either of these, forget it. That same shadow handily eliminated that possibility, although there are “loose end” Obarskyrs from this century who COULD serve that purpose, especially if the descent was illegitimate and secretive. If you were just curious about the stories of Belmuth and Arathra (because of their nicknames, perhaps), I’m afraid that’s just what Ed has to be so sketchy about. Sigh. Let us parley.
love,
THO

Part of me suspected that I'd already done this bit of detective work, but Google Advanced Search couldn't find anything but the original post (quoted above), so I guess not. Anyway, I know the Lineage is still under wraps, and I've predicted elsewhere what it will take to get it published (no, I'm not hopeful), but much of the above NDA'd lore is now known as of the GHotR... the NDA'd person referred to in the first two bold sections above is Gorauna, and the two sons of Arathra are Andilber and Anglond. I'm most curious as to why Arathra's consort's identity is still NDA (and I know you can't tell me who, but perhaps the why can be made known), and I think it's well past time that the story of the Thronestrife was told... Ed, I'd love to see it become your first open-timeline novel for the new edition, but I know that's not your decision to make (and even if it were, you might have other preferences). I may have made this stab in the dark before, but I'll speculate that the "shadow" referred to above has something to do with the Purplethroat Plague (the cause of death of a number of young monarchs during the Thronestrife)... from the name, I would suspect that it has something to do with Thauglorimorgorus... exactly what, I can't yet say; I'll further my investigations pending your confirmation that I'm on the right (or wrong) track. Anyway, I'll end my queries there and let you get to other things.

Edited by - Jakk on 02 Mar 2012 03:24:36
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  04:49:43  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Tantum all

A question for THO if I may? In the home campaign are Azoun, Fee et al referred to as King Azoun Cormyr, Queen Fee Cormyr or has the TSR/WoTC published Realms name of Obarskyr slipped into the game?

A question for Ed if I may based on the current threads about the Obarskyrs. It seems to me that the Obarskyrs are actually more important in the wider Realms than just Cormyr given their involvement in the Kingdom of Impiltur and Vaerom and his sons in Westgate. Would I be close in assuming that many disparate 'Kingdoms' around the Realms have been formed/taken over/supported by 'blood of the Obarskyrs' even if they are not using that actual name? Am wondering if the Obarskyr bloodline is somehow 'blessed'/fated to greatness by the 'Will of the Gods' and is another 'hidden in plain view' secret you put in the Realms for your players (and now the wider D&D community) to discover?

Best to all

Cheers

Damian

Even if we assume that no Obarskyrs before 20 DR count, I submit that by ca 1350 DR, there is a virtual mathematical certainty that anyone born in Cormyr has the blood of Obarskyrs and anyone born in the Inner Sea lands at all has a more than 90% chance of being descended from Rhiiman or (overwhelmingly more likely) Faerlthann Obarskyr.

Go back long enough and you can divide the human population into two groups. Those who have no living descendants and those who are the ancestors of every living human. While 1300 years is not quite long enough for Toril as a whole, it is more than enough to ensure that the mathematical odds favour anyone with several Chondathans in their lineage.

Basically, being descended from someone, while very often trumpeted as a significant fact by the sort of people who like to think that being able to name ancestors makes their blood somehow older than other blood, is actually such an obvious prerequisite of being alive that it's no more worth bragging about than the tremendous achievement of being able to convert nutrition into waste.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  05:18:32  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander
Even if we assume that no Obarskyrs before 20 DR count, I submit that by ca 1350 DR, there is a virtual mathematical certainty that anyone born in Cormyr has the blood of Obarskyrs and anyone born in the Inner Sea lands at all has a more than 90% chance of being descended from Rhiiman or (overwhelmingly more likely) Faerlthann Obarskyr.
Note: Per Grand History of the Realms, Rhiiman died without issue. As did his brother Eskrius, his nephews Bryndar and Kaspler, and a number of other Cormyrean monarchs.

You're assuming a fairly standard array of numbers of children per Obarskyr, numbers of children surviving into adulthood, and numbers of children who survive to adulthood and have children themselves.

Having seen the Obarskyr lineage in its entirety from Telmer (Ondeth's father) to Raedra (the granddaughter of King Foril), I know for a fact that the mathematical certainty of which you speak is not nearly as certain as it might appear at first glance.

Azoun IV, of course, skews such numbers, but the ruling Obarskyrs have rarely been as populous as it might appear at first glance. Considering field-clearing events like the Thronestrife and long periods where there were no suriving issue to speak of (see Galaghard I/Galaghard II/Draxius, who reigned for 395 years all together and had exactly one child that produced issue: Bryntarth I), or where the only issue wound up on the throne, and there aren't a whole lot of spare branches--legitimate or illegitimate--of the Obarskyr tree floating around. Frankly, it's near-miraculous that they've stuck around this long.

Given the time, the resources, and the patience, I could probably find a hard stop for nearly every tracing of Faerlthann's blood into the present day. I don't have those things, so I can't venture to guess with any mathematical certainty how many people could claim to be descended from Faerlthann First-King, but it's certainly far less than 90%, or half, or even a quarter of the nobles of Cormyr.

And now back to your regularly over-scheduled Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  17:07:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
And hinted at by Ed (and certain others), the 'Obarskyr tree' is prudently 'pruned' by discreet parties operating in the best interest of the kingdom, if not in the best interest of the Royal family.

Although I would hazard to guess Elminster has an unknown heir stashed-away somewhere (perhaps off-world), because thats just what he does - he meddles.

And when it comes to Cormyr, he meddles A LOT.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Mar 2012 17:08:49
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  23:58:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

Can you give us some hints as to what realms will be "resurrected" in 5E?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  04:57:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Ed!

I suspect he'll refer to that dark and forbidden land, Endiae. Much has been lost in the shadows of that dread realm.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  05:14:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Although I would hazard to guess Elminster has an unknown heir stashed-away somewhere (perhaps off-world), because thats just what he does - he meddles.
Actually, I find this little tidbit intriguing.

Assuming NDAs aren't barring the way, could either Ed or Brian possibly provide any insights on whether this indeed might be the case?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  05:24:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Hi, Ed!

I suspect he'll refer to that dark and forbidden land, Endiae. Much has been lost in the shadows of that dread realm.

I suppose he can dance around it if he makes his clues a bit vague.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  05:41:56  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by Icelander
Note: Per Grand History of the Realms, Rhiiman died without issue. As did his brother Eskrius, his nephews Bryndar and Kaspler, and a number of other Cormyrean monarchs.

You're assuming a fairly standard array of numbers of children per Obarskyr, numbers of children surviving into adulthood, and numbers of children who survive to adulthood and have children themselves.

Having seen the Obarskyr lineage in its entirety from Telmer (Ondeth's father) to Raedra (the granddaughter of King Foril), I know for a fact that the mathematical certainty of which you speak is not nearly as certain as it might appear at first glance.

Azoun IV, of course, skews such numbers, but the ruling Obarskyrs have rarely been as populous as it might appear at first glance. Considering field-clearing events like the Thronestrife and long periods where there were no suriving issue to speak of (see Galaghard I/Galaghard II/Draxius, who reigned for 395 years all together and had exactly one child that produced issue: Bryntarth I), or where the only issue wound up on the throne, and there aren't a whole lot of spare branches--legitimate or illegitimate--of the Obarskyr tree floating around. Frankly, it's near-miraculous that they've stuck around this long.

Given the time, the resources, and the patience, I could probably find a hard stop for nearly every tracing of Faerlthann's blood into the present day. I don't have those things, so I can't venture to guess with any mathematical certainty how many people could claim to be descended from Faerlthann First-King, but it's certainly far less than 90%, or half, or even a quarter of the nobles of Cormyr.

And now back to your regularly over-scheduled Ed.

(bold added)
So... given that bold text, we have another argument for releasing the Lineage... allowing it to grow... in a supervised manner, of course.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000