Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Urmlaspyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  14:13:56  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can anyone help clarify the status of Urmlaspyr as it relates to who controls it? According to the Campaign Guide, Urmlaspyr came under Netherese control when Sembia was absorbed, but later became a free city. This is corroborated by the Backdrop: Cormyr article in Dragon #365, which states that they've been free since 1441 DR. However, the first of the Core LFR adventures, Inheritance, mentions the city's "Shadovar rulers" several times. If I'm not mistaken, that adventure is considered canon, so what gives?

I'm inclined to believe that there's a hidden Netherese threat somewhere in the city, controlling things behind the scenes rather than overtly, preventing the Cormyreans from coming down hard. Another explanation, I suppose, would be that the Netherese/Sembians put outside pressure on the merchants, the threat of interrupting trade controlling them where violence did before. Still, the LFR adventure makes it seem like the Netherese are a constant threat.

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  16:34:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4e lore breaking its own continuity? Say it isn't so!

LOL

I'd just go with what you surmised. The 'hazy details' nature of the new setting is considered a 'feature' - just do what works best for you.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Dec 2011 16:39:59
Go to Top of Page

Lady Swiftstrike Assassin
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  20:07:20  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, 4e Lore and continuity have not been breached in the fantastic new Forgotten Realms supplements. I'm not sure where your confusion occured, Cronje, but I will summarize the state of Urmlaspyr below.

Regarding Sembia: (FRCG pg. 176)
Once a thriving merchant realm of independent city states
united only by a lust for gold, Sembia is now
part of the growing Empire of Netheril. This long
tradition of trade and commerce remains the central
unifying principal for this vassal state; Sembia is
Netheril’s trade portal to the rest of Faerûn.
The free cities of Urmlaspyr and Daerlun are only
nominally under Sembian control. After winning its
war against Sembia forty years ago, Cormyr insisted
that they remain neutral.

Urmlaspyr (FRCG pg. 177)

Large City; Population 18,000
With the exception of Ordulin (see below), the city
of Urmlaspyr suffered the most during the early
days of Netherese rule. It was once known as a city
of temples, where people from all over Faerûn were
welcomed as friends.
When the worship of any deity but Shar was
officially banned by the Shadovar, the merchant
princes of Urmlaspyr resisted with disastrous results.
Temples and manor houses alike were razed by magical
fire, and the merchant princes, their retainers,
and families were stolen away to Shadow or enslaved
by petty merchants and thieves elevated in status
by Netherese decree. Since the city cast off its Sembian
shackles, temples and merchant manors have
returned but have yet to achieve their former status.
Reminders of Sembian control yet remain. Parts of
the city are still haunted by shadow creatures, and a
blanket of clouds conjured by a Netherese archwizard
seventy years ago perpetually hides the sun despite the
best efforts of modern magecraft to remove the blight.
Trade goods flow again through Urmlaspyr’s
ports since Cormyr enforced its edict that Urmlaspyr
remain free. Indeed, a contingent of Purple Dragons,
on loan from Cormyr, is posted in the city to guard it
from peril. Of course, the true threat to Urmlaspyr’s
independence is more likely to be hidden machinations
than open assault.

From the Core 1-1 Module (part of the 2 season set which *is* canon Realms) Inheritance:

"When the Netherese conquered Sembia those who objected were either killed or forced to flee. Decades later, a young man inherits a key to the family vault abandoned seventy years earlier. Desperate for money, he hires you to retrieve its contents in a gamble that something worthwhile is still there."

"Urmlaspyr is part of the buffer zone between conquered Sembia and Cormyr. While a free and peaceful city, it has become a virtual hotbed of intrigue between Cormyrean and Shadovar agents who infiltrated government at all levels. So while the people are hospitable to strangers, they tend to keep their opinions about the rulers and their neighboring states to themselves. If asked, they give the official government story about events, and only when drunk or with extreme care would they consider criticizing anybody. Also remember that the Shades have ruled nearby Sembia and influenced the people of this city for nearly a century, which is more then enough time to twist events in their favor."

Also, the phrase "Shadovar rulers" does not appear in the module. However, the phrase "Shadovar agent", regarding Erat Mirt, does appear.

Edited by - Lady Swiftstrike Assassin on 30 Dec 2011 20:08:06
Go to Top of Page

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  20:27:37  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, it turns out I had an old copy of the PDF. Sure enough, the one on the Living Forgotten Realms site has the correct information. Thanks for the help!

Edited by - Cronje on 30 Dec 2011 20:32:49
Go to Top of Page

Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  20:43:38  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could you post the text of this 'original' copy?
Go to Top of Page

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  22:04:53  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost certain I got it from livingforgottenrealms.com, just like the updated one. Here are a couple of quotes from page 8, where I found the mentions of the Shadovar rulers. The first was directly below the italicized text in the Setup section and the second was the last sentence of the first bullet point under Learning More.

"The Shadovar rulers of Sembia do not get involved too much with the day-to-day affairs, allowing the merchants the freedom they need to trade. All the Shadovar require is that the merchants pay their taxes, respect the laws and only worship Shar."

"Theoretically you could get in with a special permit, but such a permit would require direct approval from the Shadovar rulers."

Go to Top of Page

Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  22:53:27  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, the text you reference does not appear in Core 1-1. I wonder if in fact a 'revised' version was published? I'll head over to the Wizards LFR forums and investigate; I know that the Mods author used to post there frequently.

Regardless, the text you quote refers to "The Shadovar rulers of Sembia", not the the rulers of Urmlaspyr, a free-city/Cormyrean protectorate.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000