Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Best Short Stories
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  17:35:06  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi All,

I'm curious to know which short stories the scholars deem to be the best from the numerous Realms anthologies published.

My thanks!

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  13:43:04  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite was Rite of Blood from Elaine Cunningham.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  13:51:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I haven't yet read all the short stories. In every anthology I bought, I read only two to three, except Realms of Shadow, which I read from cover to cover. So far, my favorites are Continuum, First Flight, Trial by Ordeal, and Darksword.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  15:10:39  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Work this tread with http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3898

I also really enjoyed Secrets of Blood, Spirits of the Sea from Elaine Cunningham.
I really enjoyed that because it was the first I've read on the sahuaguin's creation.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  15:16:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed The Third Level from Realms of Infamy. It was about Entreri

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  15:17:14  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved 'Visions' from Realms of Infamy.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  15:19:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, phranctoast! That's quite helpful. I believe I searched for something like that here. But the site's Search Genie is very...limited, and sometimes "verging" on useless.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  06:38:04  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Realms of Magic - "Guenhwyvar" RA Salvatore
Both volumes of Realms of Dragons

Welcome aboard!

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2011 :  01:00:48  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it was "Continuum" from Realms of War by Paul S. Kemp.
Actually here were quite a lot of short stories I enjoyed, dificult to remember them all.
In general I liked most from Halls of Stormweather.
Trial by Ordeal from Realms of Shadows was truly excellent (Lisa Smedman).
Another Name for Dawn is also one of my favorites (Paul S Kemp again).

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 12 Dec 2011 01:04:26
Go to Top of Page

Idamar of Thay
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2011 :  16:19:11  Show Profile Send Idamar of Thay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

My favorite was Rite of Blood from Elaine Cunningham.

I agree. This story beautifully shows the delicious wickedness of drow society.

But the best part about short stories is it lets the author put their characters in comedic situations. I seem to remember Jarlaxle and Entreri joining a bad of inept bandits just to kill time...and then the bandits, but mostly time.
Go to Top of Page

Roboginger
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  19:31:55  Show Profile Send Roboginger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

I really enjoyed The Third Level from Realms of Infamy. It was about Entreri

I agree this one was very enjoyable.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  19:47:38  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dark Mirror I think is the best piece of Realms fiction, short or long. An amazing read and Salvatore's best work, imho.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  21:02:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favourites that never appeared in an anthology (perhaps due to rights issues) is Ed Greenwood's 'Moonrise over Myth Drannor', published in the Eye of the Beholder III computer game manual.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  22:02:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

One of my favourites that never appeared in an anthology (perhaps due to rights issues) is Ed Greenwood's 'Moonrise over Myth Drannor', published in the Eye of the Beholder III computer game manual.

Didn't that one wind up in Best of Ed? I could've sworn I saw it published somewhere other than in that manual...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  22:18:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, Wooly, Faraer has the right of it: the computer company wouldn't release the rights for a reprint (though I seem to recall that they'll eventually revert, over time), and "Moonrise" thus far remains unpublished elsewhere.
A pity. It's a great read, and a cut above most genre fantasy.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  00:11:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

No, Wooly, Faraer has the right of it: the computer company wouldn't release the rights for a reprint (though I seem to recall that they'll eventually revert, over time), and "Moonrise" thus far remains unpublished elsewhere.
love,
THO

Hmmm... I'm familiar with that story; the book came into my possession years ago in a case of borrowing it from a friend who borrowed it from a friend, with no one ever giving it back. My copy was of course destroyed, but I made a point of replacing it.

And I'd have to doublecheck to be sure, but I'm almost 100% positive I've got the story as a Word doc, on my computer at home. That's why I thought it had been published somewhere, either online or in the Best of Ed book.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  00:41:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

love,
THO

Hmmm... I'm familiar with that story; the book came into my possession years ago in a case of borrowing it from a friend who borrowed it from a friend, with no one ever giving it back. My copy was of course destroyed, but I made a point of replacing it.

And I'd have to doublecheck to be sure, but I'm almost 100% positive I've got the story as a Word doc, on my computer at home. That's why I thought it had been published somewhere, either online or in the Best of Ed book.

I'd be curious to know how you obtained a Word doc of the tale, Wooly, as that's something I've always wished for myself. Just as a backup, should I lose my copy of the EotBIII game book.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  04:34:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

love,
THO

I'd be curious to know how you obtained a Word doc of the tale, Wooly, as that's something I've always wished for myself. Just as a backup, should I lose my copy of the EotBIII game book.

I may have taken the time and typed it up myself, or perhaps it was sent to me by someone else... I've had the file since 2004, and a lot's happened since then!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000