Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Godborn Excerpt
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2011 :  22:41:22  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Godborn is a year from release. Here is an excerpt, featuring Brennus and Rivalen.

http://paulskemp.com/blog/godborn-excerpt/

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2011 :  22:56:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very much looking forward to this one, PSK, an excellent teaser.

... although I still shan't break my cardinal rule of awaiting the full trilogy before reading it.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  01:54:15  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really wonderful - I will have a very hard time waiting!

Thanks for the tasty preview!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  02:09:56  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Argh! You did it again... Wonderful teaser, the best so far!

I cannot wait, too much time missing! Besides Brennus is my favorite character in your novels.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  02:21:41  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice teaser. It's nice to see Brennus venting and hopefully a whole lot more before it's done. I can't wait for the book.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  02:27:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great stuff as always Paul!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  04:22:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm so looking forward to it, Paul. Thank you for the excellent teaser.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  12:59:33  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff, Paul :)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  13:56:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Paul, does Rivalen's current status/boost of power make him practically invincible against his father?

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  14:24:44  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now we just have to wait for the release

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  14:45:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

On the bright side, time flies fast. One year could very well be as quick as a blink of an eye.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  15:02:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

On the bright side, time flies fast. One year could very well be as quick as a blink of an eye.

Yep and with Skyrim coming on on Friday, and plenty of other good books to keep me busy, time should indeed fly by

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  17:14:00  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait! Good stuff Paul, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  22:32:22  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not intend to partake in the excerpt, if only because it will actually make waiting a year for the final product worse. I know this about myself after having read the first chapter of many a novel at the end of its predecessor, only to have to wait a year for the sequel's release. Even without having read it, Paul, I know it is excellent, as all of your novels are.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  00:24:55  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  01:58:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel a little guilty, having complimented PSK so greatly whilst not yet even read any books by ESdB, lol sorry.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  03:10:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I feel a little guilty, having complimented PSK so greatly whilst not yet even read any books by ESdB, lol sorry.

Why? Haven't read any of Erik's novels, either.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  03:24:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because I keep promising him that one day "soon" I will.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  03:28:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Tsk, tsk. As one famous Filipino actor once said, "Thou shall not make a promise you can't keep." ["'Wag mangako ng isang bagay na di mo naman kayang tuparin."]

Edited by - Dennis on 10 Nov 2011 06:04:11
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  08:29:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mommy used to say it, too ... though never in Filipino.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  09:38:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

With how things have progressed so far, I suspect that the next time Brennus and Riven cross paths, it wouldn't be as enemies. Brennus might offer Riven a bargain in exchange for his brother's life.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  13:38:46  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brennus is definately on the right track to become a protagonist. That would be so cool. I'm not really surprised that he hates his brother, but openly insulting Shar? Dangerous attitude for a prince of Shade.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  15:03:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It would have been great if we see a short story featuring Brennus and his mother, Alashar. Perhaps in the anthology-companion of the Cycle of Night Trilogy?

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  06:27:59  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Paul, does Rivalen's current status/boost of power make him practically invincible against his father?

The clear answer is no. Telamont would never have let him gain that much power unless he was a match for it.
At best, it possibly elevated him to near equal status to the most high, but not beyond him.

The reason I say this is because at no point while fighting Kesson Rel(a Being with 3x more the 0 level divinity) did I think he could more than match Telamont. I know riven did a bit of undercover whoop to Mephisto in the dying moments, but divine power functions differently in the 9 hells than it does on the prime.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  06:36:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I really hope so. Though I recall Brennus telling his father that if he let Rivalen absorb Mask's divine essence, it would be beyond him to punish Rivalen. That's after Brennus learned of his brother's matricide. Telamont didn't deny such assertion, so maybe...

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2011 :  03:03:13  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  07:42:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Paul, does Godborn contain a sample chapter of Book 2?

Go to Top of Page

Tarloc
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  15:46:40  Show Profile Send Tarloc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
paul writes some of the best books and characters of faerun. cant wait till next year

"hey, you just rolled two natural twenties!"
"is that a touchdown?"
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  00:19:54  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just saw this. Great work, Paul. I'm very excited for this release and the Serpent's Daughter. Just one question, has Riven been fully detailed in any 4e products now that he is an Exarch? (of Mask, Shar whatever.)

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  12:08:51  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Just one question, has Riven been fully detailed in any 4e products now that he is an Exarch? (of Mask, Shar whatever.)

Fellfire,

Not that I'm aware of.
Go to Top of Page

Grimn the Grim.
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  21:11:04  Show Profile Send Grimn the Grim. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read the excerpt and I have to say its pretty good. I'll have to look into this series.

The greatest darkness thrives in the shadow of the brightest light.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000