Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 new spell need help
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sith Ari
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  17:18:20  Show Profile Send Sith Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

This a spell my mage(5w/10inc) is trying to create after studing lore he found on magical shield effects(i have craft cont spell & spell mantle feats)

Haerlan's Mantle Attack
school: ?
lvl:7
casting time:1 st action
duration: inst
save:no
sr:no
target: 1 abjuration spell affecting the caster of lvl 6+ min.

First of all in order this spell to have any effect the caster must have opperating at him a shield(?) like abjuration spell of atleast 6th lvl.when cast this spell siphons the energy of the targeted spell giving the caster the ability to cast another spell he has memorised without loosing the spell slot it occupies as long as the second spell
is of two lvl lower than the spell being siphoned.

material comp:need help...

what do you think...
thanx in advance...

Sith Ari
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  17:21:12  Show Profile Send Sith Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New here so I am not sure if this is the correct place.If not please move it where it should be.
THANX
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  18:08:50  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, judging by it's description, it makes casting lower level shield-like spells without expending their spell slot. Hmmm, not too bad, though I think it might work better as a Feat or at the very least, making it so the 2nd shield-like spells doesn't use a spell slot and is cast as a Minor Action. So something like this:

Haerlan's Mantle Attack
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: One Abjuration spell affecting you
Duration: 1 round/level

A quick jesture and word magnifies the abjuration spell effecting you with a low humming sound, empowering your future protective spells.

In order for this spell to have any effect, the caster must have opperating on him or herself an Abjuration spell of at least 4th level. When this spell is cast, it siphons the energy of the targeted spell and gives the caster the ability to cast another Abjuration spell he or she has memorised without loosing the occupying spell slot. This second spell must be at least two levels lower than the targeted spell. In addition, abjuration spells cast in this way have a casting time reduced to a swift action (if their casting time is normally one standard action).

Material Focus
A small silver or mithral disc in the shape of a shield.

Edited by - Diffan on 25 Oct 2011 18:15:45
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  18:27:11  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent stuff!

I'm pinching that, nice work Diffan

Edited by - Farrel on 25 Oct 2011 18:38:11
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  21:07:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I hope it's what Sith Ari was looking for. I figured since it plays off an already cast spell, focuses on one school, and is 7th level the benefits wouldn't be too broken. So a wizard with Fire Shield on could cast this spell and then Shield, Protection from Arrows, Resist Energy etc. in the same round without sacrificing their spell slot. Figured it was kinda neat.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  22:56:06  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could a spell like this be created for every spell school? Would the equivalents be of the new school or would they all be abjurations?

In other words, could you siphon an illusion of your own creation to cast a lower level one (for example)?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  01:42:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

So, judging by it's description, it makes casting lower level shield-like spells without expending their spell slot. Hmmm, not too bad, though I think it might work better as a Feat or at the very least, making it so the 2nd shield-like spells doesn't use a spell slot and is cast as a Minor Action. So something like this:

Haerlan's Mantle Attack
Abjuration

A quick jesture and word magnifies the abjuration spell effecting you with a low humming sound, empowering your future protective spells.

In order for this spell to have any effect, the caster must have opperating on him or herself an Abjuration spell of at least 4th level. When this spell is cast, it siphons the energy of the targeted spell and gives the caster the ability to cast another Abjuration spell he or she has memorised without loosing the occupying spell slot. This second spell must be at least two levels lower than the targeted spell. In addition, abjuration spells cast in this way have a casting time reduced to a swift action (if their casting time is normally one standard action).

Material Focus

Actually, I'm thinking he meant it to be more duelist. You don't give up YOUR shielding spell. You work to dispel/absorb another mage's shielding spell and in turn use that returning energy to empower another spell of your own. So, lets say you cast some 6th lvl spell, it knocks down the other mages say "globe of invulnerability" and you turn it into say a "death armor" or a "improved mage armor" spell since you have that memorized, but you don't actually expend your own spell. Anyway, that's the base idea I'd go with, but obviously, it'd need some more development. Wouldn't be a bad idea and there's been similar in the past.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  14:19:37  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Actually, I'm thinking he meant it to be more duelist. You don't give up YOUR shielding spell. You work to dispel/absorb another mage's shielding spell and in turn use that returning energy to empower another spell of your own. So, lets say you cast some 6th lvl spell, it knocks down the other mages say "globe of invulnerability" and you turn it into say a "death armor" or a "improved mage armor" spell since you have that memorized, but you don't actually expend your own spell. Anyway, that's the base idea I'd go with, but obviously, it'd need some more development. Wouldn't be a bad idea and there's been similar in the past.

Re-reading what he wrote, I'm thinking your right. If that's the case then we'll probably have to add a Saving Throw: Will and possibly Spell Resistance. I guess I just don't see it being used very often this way I guess. Ok, attempt #2:

Haerlan's Mantle Attack
Abjuration
Range: Close 25 ft./5 ft. every 2 levels
Target: One Abjuration spell affecting a target
Duration: 1 round/level (or until the targeted spell is dismissed or dispelled)
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: No

A quick jesture and word syphons the abjuration spell effecting an enemy with a low humming sound, empowering your future protective spells.

In order for this spell to have any effect, the target must have opperating on them an Abjuration spell of at least 4th level. When this spell is cast, it siphons the energy of the targeted spell and gives the caster the ability to cast Abjuration spells memorised without loosing the occupying spell slot. This second spell must be at least two levels lower than the targeted spell. In addition, abjuration spells cast in this way have a casting time reduced to a swift action (if their casting time is normally one standard action).

Material Focus

Edited by - Diffan on 26 Oct 2011 14:22:01
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  14:33:25  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Could a spell like this be created for every spell school? Would the equivalents be of the new school or would they all be abjurations?

In other words, could you siphon an illusion of your own creation to cast a lower level one (for example)?

I don't see why not, but as I re-worked the spell it won't function in this manner. I think you'd be better off making a feat that functions like this. If you want a spell, you could do something similar with it and called:

Seethyr's Illusory Prominence
Illusion
Target: One illusion spell affecting you

With a smirk and defiant flair the illusions that swirl about you morph and change, empowered by your mastery of the Art.

In order for this spell to have any effect, the caster must have opperating on him or herself an Illusion spell of at least 4th level. When this spell is cast, it draws the energy of the targeted spell and gives the caster the ability to cast another Illusion spell he or she has memorised without loosing the occupying spell slot. This effect lessens the power of the first spell, halfing it's duration. The second spell must be at least two levels lower than the targeted spell. In addition, Illusion spells cast in this way may gain a +1 to their DC saves or have a casting time reduced to a swift action (if their casting time is normally one standard action).

Material Focus
A small, hand-held mirrior.
Go to Top of Page

Sith Ari
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  08:00:30  Show Profile Send Sith Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I m sorry for tha absence but my pc dyed! long live my pc!
THNX for the replies...
Diffan thats exactly what i was thinking...thanx

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Haerlan's Mantle Attack
Abjuration

Material Focus

As for this:

Intriging idea i havent thought about it ...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000