Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Zulkir
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  18:02:11  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did Aoth escape the fight with Szass tam? I don't have Unholy on hand but I thought Lallara had a ring that would allow her to escape that she gave him (I read the book a long time ago, though...) Wouldn't people potentially have potions, rods, small devices, etc. that could permanently contain the same effects as a contingency spell? The Zulkir of Transmutation at the start of the Haunted Lands trilogy had a tattoo that would allow him to teleport to a safe place, for example.

I'm pretty sure its up to the author/DM to decide.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  22:18:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

How did Aoth escape the fight with Szass tam? I don't have Unholy on hand but I thought Lallara had a ring that would allow her to escape that she gave him (I read the book a long time ago, though...) Wouldn't people potentially have potions, rods, small devices, etc. that could permanently contain the same effects as a contingency spell? The Zulkir of Transmutation at the start of the Haunted Lands trilogy had a tattoo that would allow him to teleport to a safe place, for example.

I'm pretty sure its up to the author/DM to decide.

Lallara gave him a ring to translate himself to safety while she was holding Szass Tam's attack through some powerful [albeit diminishing] shield.

Druxus's tattoo [a contingency] didn't work because he had to think of its trigger, which escaped him at that moment since his assassin kept on banging his head on the wall.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1755 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2011 :  13:39:56  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lallara Mediocros

I don't know a lot about individual zulkirs, I think most of their names are the best in FR, and generally Thayan names
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30338 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2011 :  15:46:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Lallara Mediocros

I don't know a lot about individual zulkirs, I think most of their names are the best in FR, and generally Thayan names

I dunno, I can't see that surname without thinking it's based on "mediocre" -- which is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2011 :  15:51:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Lallara Mediocros

I dunno, I can't see that surname without thinking it's based on "mediocre" -- which is hardly a ringing endorsement.

But her first name is quite dulcet. Though ironic, given her acerbic personality.

She shielded an entire band from the most destructive spells of Szass Tam himself. That's hardly a feat of a mediocre mage. I could easily imagine her reclaiming the Wizard's Reach and, together with her surviving subordinates, erect potent mythal-like barriers around the land that would negate all forms of undeath magic.

On a different note, I checked the results of the poll. I didn't know there's much love for Lauzoril. Perhaps he's "enchanted" some of us?

Edited by - Dennis on 31 Oct 2011 14:43:14
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  19:47:43  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Lallara would flee to a different region, her power in the Wizard's Reach was already exhausted at the end of Unholy. Amn! Amn!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  04:13:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That’s possibke. But she mentioned in Unholy that she would rather rule a Thayan colony (which the Wizard’s Reach is one, somewhat) than conquer a different land, where opposition can be more than she could handle.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
654 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  13:41:07  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lauzoril, especially in the light of how Lynn Abbey portrayed him in The Simbul's Gift. The only Zulkir who's become a heavily used NPC in my campaigns - a great fellow for PCs to interact with...

Club Secretary of the Dragons on the Hill RPG Club of London, UK: http://dragonsonthehill.co.uk/.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14387 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  13:55:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to have to go with... Bob.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  14:31:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Sorry, I fail to see the jest.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  14:33:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

Lauzoril, especially in the light of how Lynn Abbey portrayed him in The Simbul's Gift. The only Zulkir who's become a heavily used NPC in my campaigns - a great fellow for PCs to interact with...

For me, that book has the best portrayal of him. Enchanting and humane, but deadly.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14387 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  14:51:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Sorry, I fail to see the jest.
You don't find the idea of a Zulkir named 'Bob' funny?

I must be losing my touch.

There are also so those commercials.... Smiling Bob... for 'male enhancement'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Nov 2011 14:56:40
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  15:01:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I dunno. If ever someone with that name is elected zulkir, I think the other zulkirs would slay him on their first convocation, just because he bears such a name. [No offense to RAS and anyone else with that name.] Nevron had been known to have slain a zulkir [Zola] for some ridiculous reason, mayhap he'd kill Bob the Zulkir himself.

Edited by - Dennis on 02 Nov 2011 15:02:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30338 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  15:32:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I dunno. If ever someone with that name is elected zulkir, I think the other zulkirs would slay him on their first convocation, just because he bears such a name. [No offense to RAS and anyone else with that name.] Nevron had been known to have slain a zulkir [Zola] for some ridiculous reason, mayhap he'd kill Bob the Zulkir himself.

With names like Szass, Lauzoril, and Nevron, is Bob really that ridiculous? I'll agree it's not a Realms name, but I fail to see any inherent in-setting issues with the name.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  15:45:21  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

With names like Szass, Lauzoril, and Nevron, is Bob really that ridiculous? I'll agree it's not a Realms name, but I fail to see any inherent in-setting issues with the name.

And it's not like it can't ever happen. While there remain gates which allow travel between the Realms and Earth, the possibility of a Bob popping up somewhere on Faerűn, is an somewhat amusing thought.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14387 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  15:57:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, it was a joke, but if I were serious, I'd just Realms-it-up a bit to Baab.

And if that's his last name, his first could be Icha.

Oh... wait... then the Headless Zhent might go after him.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30338 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  18:11:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, it was a joke, but if I were serious, I'd just Realms-it-up a bit to Baab.

And if that's his last name, his first could be Icha.

Oh... wait... then the Headless Zhent might go after him.

I use Bahb a lot, myself. Usually Bahb the Fighter.

Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  18:46:26  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While we're discussing Bob the Zulkir (what school is he btw?)

I have to add that there's already:

Gareth the Paladin (I used to work with a rather large chap called Gareth, nice guy).

Christine the Mage (My hairdresser).

Kane the Monk (Ah Grasshopper!).

Charles the Mayor (Is Oliver O'Kane Realmsian in any way shape or form???).

I do like Zola the Zulkir, I bet he was always picked first for Thayvian football (soccer).
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  18:55:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Zola was an incompetent necromancer, and was not really a zulkir. Her presence alone annoyed Nevron, who didn't think twice before killing her.

Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  19:09:34  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the sourcebooks i've read I do like Nevron, he seems thoroughly nasty.

This guy does intrigue me:

Hahlomede Teeos (Abjuration): known as “Blackwyrm” for his everpresent tattered black robes and cloaks, that rendered him immune to dragon attacks and made dragons actively avoid him, Teeos loved to act mysterious and to track down lost treasures, old magics, and deceptions, this last sort of hunting quickly making him very unpopular with many Thayans; he became the feared, tireless, and increasingly hated “investigator” of the First Zulkirate.

Thanks for bringing him to my attention

Edited by - Farrel on 02 Nov 2011 19:10:15
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2055 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  19:20:43  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TTam all the way

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  19:43:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

From the sourcebooks i've read I do like Nevron, he seems thoroughly nasty.

And in the novels, he was. His fate was rather ironic, though.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14387 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  19:48:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baab would be the little-known (outside of Thay) Zulkir of Bardic magic.

Great charisma - a rarity in Thay, especially amongst the upper echelons - and able to shatter castle walls with his voice alone. A true wizard of the 'old school', and quite the ladies man (and man's man, if the rumors are even half-true). His real power lies in all the 'dirt' he has on the others - he doesn't raise skeletons, he finds them in people's closets.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Nov 2011 19:49:33
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2055 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  20:04:48  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Great charisma - a rarity in Thay, especially amongst the upper echelons - and able to shatter castle walls with his voice alone. A true wizard of the 'old school', and quite the ladies man (and man's man, if the rumors are even half-true). His real power lies in all the 'dirt' he has on the others - he doesn't raise skeletons, he finds them in people's closets.

did he animate any of them??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  00:16:59  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He also used to worship Bhaal.

Baab, the bard, of Bhaal.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000