Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Neverwinter Nights 2
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mantis
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  11:03:02  Show Profile Send Mantis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have recently jumped back into NWN2 and am loving it all over again, but I have never played with anyone on a server or anything. Is there anyone in the Keep that plays or could point me in the direction of someone who does?

The Curt Jester
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  06:28:12  Show Profile  Visit The Curt Jester's Homepage Send The Curt Jester a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I currently run a server for NWN2. What are you looking for specifically? If you have questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Jester

Co-founder of Sea of Dragons, a Persistent World for NWN2 | Visit us at www.seaofdragons.com
Go to Top of Page

Mantis
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2011 :  06:11:02  Show Profile Send Mantis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
everything HAHA ive never played a game on the computer before so i dont really know how to go about doing anything really. Do i just join a random server, do i roleplay when i type can you upload your character or do you start fresh?
Go to Top of Page

The Curt Jester
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2011 :  09:26:29  Show Profile  Visit The Curt Jester's Homepage Send The Curt Jester a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a number of different types of server that will fall into various categories: Roleplay, Action, and Social (read XXX). These are all listed in the GameSpy server listing. To get there you have to do a few steps:

1. Run NWN2.

2. Click Join Internet Game.

3. Create a multiplayer there (you have to join).

4. Once done, you can view the various servers in the GameSpy server listing. They'll be categorized similar to what I wrote above except they have more categories. I'm guessing you're searching for roleplay.

5. Once you choose a server, you click it an hit Join. Most servers utilize the Auto Downloader feature of NWN2, so all necessary files will be downloaded into the appropriate folders in your computer. It's painless. All you have to do is wait for it to download and there's no hassle other than that. Some servers will use a lot of custom content (my server uses about 1 GB of extra downloads) but they're well worth it for the added custom models (monsters, faces, weapons, armors, objects) and new tile sets.

Now obviously that doesn't tell you a whole lot about the servers themselves. What you can do is go to the official site and take a look at the official boards:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Neverwinter-Nights-2/NwN-2-Persistent-Worlds-amp-Multiplayer/Index-of-NWN2-PW039s-3122535-1.html

Okay, on to your other questions.

Roleplaying. Yes, basically what you type will be your characters words and/or emotes. If you speak OOC (Out of Character) you would do so via a private message (Tell), DM Chat line, or with (( )) around what you say. Most players that you find on servers are willing to help a new player learn the ropes. Note I say most, because like all online places you do find a few grouchy people here and there!

I do not know of a server that allows you to upload your own character. Your character, if made outside, might not fit with current game changes and may even be broken when it gets in, plus local characters are an opening for people to exploit. Those things aside, you'd miss out on a lot of the customizations, such as new faces, hair, classes, and spells. What you do, then, is make your character once you log on. The character will be saved to the server's character vault and each time you log back in you can choose that character again and you will begin where you last were (saved).

You're welcome to jump on over to our server board: www.seaofdragons.com/forum

We're always glad to help out new players. You can read more about the server at the site. There's also a thread about Sea of Dragons here on Candlekeep probably some ten or twenty topics down from this one, though it's quite outdated and we have a lot of new features since I wrote it.

Again, if you have more questions, please feel free to ask, here or over on my server's forum. Or you could try in the official NWN2 boards that I linked you to above.

Cheers!
Jester

Co-founder of Sea of Dragons, a Persistent World for NWN2 | Visit us at www.seaofdragons.com
Go to Top of Page

Mantis
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  16:25:59  Show Profile Send Mantis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THIS LOOKS AMAZING! You my good sit may have just saved my inner RPGer. I started playing NW2 because i moved away from my game group and havent been able to play ANY D&D for the past couple months. This Server looks like exactly what i need to quench my gaming thirsts.
Go to Top of Page

Mantis
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  16:50:25  Show Profile Send Mantis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NOOOOO! i need the Storm expansion and I only have Mask. I will have to try and find a copy of the other expansion so I can get into the server!
Go to Top of Page

The Curt Jester
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  18:45:18  Show Profile  Visit The Curt Jester's Homepage Send The Curt Jester a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most servers will require the SoZ expansion. I don't know about finding it separately, but I know that Steam sells the complete set for $20 and sometimes has sales on it for about $5 (the past ones were mid summer and right before Christmas I believe) though there's no guarantee that they'll do it again.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  20:26:24  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is probably cheaper to buy NWN2 Platinum with both expansions than to try and by SoZ by itself anymore.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Mantis
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  06:04:01  Show Profile Send Mantis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

I think it is probably cheaper to buy NWN2 Platinum with both expansions than to try and by SoZ by itself anymore.

Its lookin that way it seems like if I can find in a retail store new its gonna be 20 dollars, or I can buy the whole package on Steam for 20.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  13:17:08  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's too bad, cause I don't think SoZ is worth 20 bucks on its own. I love the game, but that last expansion was kinda disappointing (campaign OR content). Still, if its required to play online, 20$ isn't so bad.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  19:53:43  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

It's too bad, cause I don't think SoZ is worth 20 bucks on its own. I love the game, but that last expansion was kinda disappointing (campaign OR content). Still, if its required to play online, 20$ isn't so bad.

I thought it was okay. Not great, but okay. The campaign wasn't much. I think there was more random wandering than anything. But, I thought the new overland map was great and at the time I had hoped it was a sign of things to come. I've recently gone back to try to play through Mask of the Betrayer (the spirit eater system really turned me off so I never finished it) and I think once I get through it I will look around the NWVault and see if anyone did anything good with the new map system.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

The Curt Jester
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  03:50:14  Show Profile  Visit The Curt Jester's Homepage Send The Curt Jester a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Well, it depends on your outlook. In my opinion, none of the NWN2 games were worth it for single player just because I'm not that into the style of gameplay that it offers for a lone player. However, because it's a great game for building, whether that's a module for others to play, or an online world. No other game has the tools to build a DnD world like this one does. That's why I spent the money on it.

As far as single player goes, if you do enjoy it, that $20 will get a lot more than the one scenario since I'm sure many, many single player modules have been made using the content. There are many that don't require it, too, but if you're the type to search around for as much single player content as possible, it's worth it.

In essence, when you buy NWN2, you're basically buying twenty-plus new campaigns ranging from fairly epic in scope (15 - 20 hours) to short and quick (1 - 5 hours) and anything between. People are still making new ones, too.

So it just depends on your viewpoint and how much time you're willing to invest in the game.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2011 :  02:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Sigh* I want to play NWN 2 - my computer can't handle it.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2011 :  05:15:15  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

*Sigh* I want to play NWN 2 - my computer can't handle it.

I'm in the same boat. That said I have played and finished it in the past.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)

Edited by - Light on 08 Dec 2011 05:15:43
Go to Top of Page

Tarloc
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2011 :  06:29:37  Show Profile Send Tarloc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i had it played to neverwinter and then lost it

"hey, you just rolled two natural twenties!"
"is that a touchdown?"
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2011 :  09:57:30  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarloc

i had it played to neverwinter and then lost it

Well it's ultimately inferior to the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series anyway so it's no loss.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  20:51:56  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nowadays Baldur's Gate: The Sword Coast Chronicles seems to be the most popular server along with Dalelands. I would love to see more people of the 'Keep on there.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Branimir
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2012 :  05:55:16  Show Profile  Visit Branimir's Homepage Send Branimir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also like to get in on this. I started playing through NWN2 again a while ago, playing off and on, I've never played it multiplayer before but I'd like to.

-Branimir Draek

Please check out The Church of Lathander and consider converting today. http://www.facebook.com/TheMorninglord
Contact the church to have your sins absolved today. I can perform legal weddings in the name of Lathander.
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  00:01:05  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

Nowadays Baldur's Gate: The Sword Coast Chronicles seems to be the most popular server along with Dalelands. I would love to see more people of the 'Keep on there.

Send me a pm if you are playing on Dalelands.
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  00:50:42  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See the thread linked below if you'd like to play on a small-scale NWN2 server focused on low-level, low-magic roleplay:

http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  19:54:07  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the game mechanics and software glitches. It is a good game.

"Software are easy to solve because they do not have egos. "
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000