Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 neverwinter speculation spolier
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  01:48:36  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Awww, give the guy a break.

He's still trying to figure out how to spell Lolth.

And whether Guenhwyvar has been SPADED.

I kid, I kid...

fixed for you

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  14:33:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seriously, though - I actually don't blame him - or any other authors - for those types of continuity gaffs. They are only human, and people make mistakes.

I blame the editors - its their job in a shared setting to catch those mistakes, and over the years they have done a PISS-POOR job. The Chief editor acts as a 'traffic-cop' for the Realms, and is getting paid specifically to keep things straight. If you don't know the setting well-enough to know the tree of life can NOT be moved after planting (and that there is only one), then you should not be in-charge of the continuity. It isn't very hard to do a little research about major setting points like that, and apparently no one ever bothered.

Authors are expected to know the setting - at least the bits they are writing about - but it isn't really their JOB to know it - its the editors. Shame on them for for letting so much get by them. The authors only job is to entertain us with their words, and most of them have done a decent job in that regard. We hope they read other FR author's novels (which would really help in the long-run), but they don't have to - the editors do. The editor-in-chief is the last line of defense for the continuity, and if gets by him then he's not doing his job.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  15:30:16  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said Markustay. I daresay there are people on this forum who would make amazing editors. Collectively, we're a pretty relentless bunch of lore-whores ;)
Go to Top of Page

Idamar of Thay
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  21:23:30  Show Profile Send Idamar of Thay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was pretty clever that RAS did not outright reveal Entreri's identity in Gauntlgrym. Not that he hoped too fool that many people, but rather a discreet return of a beloved character that fits his style much more than an Indiana Jones style last minute involvement(also no aliens were involved).
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  16:39:43  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Seriously, though - I actually don't blame him - or any other authors - for those types of continuity gaffs. They are only human, and people make mistakes.

I blame the editors - its their job in a shared setting to catch those mistakes, and over the years they have done a PISS-POOR job. The Chief editor acts as a 'traffic-cop' for the Realms, and is getting paid specifically to keep things straight. If you don't know the setting well-enough to know the tree of life can NOT be moved after planting (and that there is only one), then you should not be in-charge of the continuity. It isn't very hard to do a little research about major setting points like that, and apparently no one ever bothered.

Authors are expected to know the setting - at least the bits they are writing about - but it isn't really their JOB to know it - its the editors. Shame on them for for letting so much get by them. The authors only job is to entertain us with their words, and most of them have done a decent job in that regard. We hope they read other FR author's novels (which would really help in the long-run), but they don't have to - the editors do. The editor-in-chief is the last line of defense for the continuity, and if gets by him then he's not doing his job.

Ya, you're absolutely right. Which really makes my biggest issue with the book a gripe with the editor in the end. Unfortunately it does get a lot easier to blame the guy whose name is emblazoned on the cover of the book as responsible for what are still relatively minor irritations and annoyances in the end. I think that scroll discussing what words or phrases give you pause every time you see them is actually where I belong most of the time when I'm complaining anyway, because they're not really complaints. They're just silly personal pet peeves that in the end don't actually prevent me from enjoying the story. You know humans, never happy unless they're bitching about something.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000