Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Neverwinter: a quick review (possible SPOILERS)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  04:20:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

The Dread Rings in Thay had been rendered impotent in 1478 DR. That's 16 years after the supposed activation of the one in Neverwinter.

And again, why build it in the Sword Coast? To attract the attention of Telamont, the Chosen, and half of Faerun's most powerful beings so they could play poker?

You are overthinking it.
No matter where he builds them, he is going to attract the attention of some powerful beings.
Even if the Dread Rings in Thay attract attention, no one would be foolish enough to attack Szass Tam in his own realm, where he has his most potent defenses. The one in Neverwinter is another story. Even if Szass Tam sends a great number of undead and Red Wizards to defend it, the people---of different races united to neutralize the Ring---would most certainly outnumber them. And given how far is NW from Thay, it would take a while before he could send more troops to help defend his bastion. And I doubt Szass Tam would be stupid enough [well, at least the Tam I know] to send so many of his minions as to early empty Thay of defenders and make it susceptible to invasion.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Andrekan
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  16:12:13  Show Profile Send Andrekan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though it may have been briefly mentioned in Book I in this Neverwinter Series the Netherese were searching for one of their fallen cities that was believed to contain powerful artifacts. Szass Tam was may possibly have been searching for signs of it as well when he started to set up his Dread Ring there. This of course would be if it contained the Warlock's Crypt which belonged to Larloch.

Now this gets into some pretty heavy intrigue that might confuse a reader if they were reading Salvatore's book which is about Drizzt and who he is becoming now that he has lost all of his loyal friends. The people he is surrounded by now may or may not give him aid if he were being pinned down by a Lich-Pit Fiend.

So I think to make a long answer somewhat shorter. The intrigues and motivations of the Netherese and Szass Tam are only a back drop in this area of Northwest Faerun. Tam WILL pull back from Neverwinter leaving his Thayan irons in the fire for possible use later. The Netherese have or do find the Fallen Citadel and WILL keep it a secret to everyone in that area. Whether it was Larloch's old Haunt that fell before Karsus we will just have to wait and see unless that is in another Novel somewhere. I think the idea is to wet the readers appetite to look deeper into the Forgotten Realms for answers.

It may not be the Haunted Lands Series but it has its blood lines in the Realms. I am looking forward to plunging into that series myself with the release of the compiled version around February 2012. Hope that may have cleared up your apprehension to this read. What may be important in this backdrop of events in this book may lead up to an events dealing with the Netherese being angered by Thay and possibly launching an invasion there beyond this Series.

"Those two talk only of drink, riches, women, brawling, and magic, so ye've a one in five chance..." Quote from "Elminster in Hell"
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  16:20:21  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

Maybe he has. Though most likely it's yet another inconsistency. Which isn't something new in FR fiction.

I think it is because there is more at stake now then compared to the past.

Can you please elaborate? What is this “more” you refer to? His goals in the Haunted Lands Trilogy were clear: erect the Dread Rings and cast the Ritual of Unmaking to destroy the world and the deities and make him the overgod. Have those goals change? Also, was it explained why of all places was he building Dread Rings in the Sword Coast, which is so far from Thay, is hardly defensible, and attracts unwanted attention from several powerful beings. Furthermore, what are these 'primordial' and souls of people being fed to the Ring to empower it? That's not how the Rings operated in HL. It was noted that the Dread Ring in Neverwinter had been “activated” 1462 DR. Why would that be? There were already Dread Rings in Thay that time, and it was mentioned in HL that the Rings followed a certain geographical pattern localized in Thay. Thus, given the time frame, that one in NW was useless.

I read Red Magic, the game supplements, & Neverwinter. I only browsed Haunted Lands Trilogy. So most of the “more” you covered for me. I was aware of his debt to Bane but not the “I want to be an Overgod too.” Thanks, now I don’t have to fully read the series. The inconsistencies can be explain by the information you provided and what can be gathered from the Neverwinter novel (the one you browsed), and the Neverwinter Campaign Setting (which I browsed, I haven’t had the time to fully read it). As noted the Dread Ring in Neverwinter has attracted all sorts of unwanted attention but that is after the thing failed to activate properly. And these ‘powerful beings’ didn’t know about the Dread Ring until they either investigated the cause of Mt Hotenow eruption or stumbled upon the cause when adventuring in the area. How long did it take for them to do this remains unanswered.
Also, where does it say the place is hardly defensible? A fully activated Dread Ring would instantly granted a fortifiable position in the area. Tam would have an instant undead army made from all of the dead people in the region. We are talking about all the villages, roaming adventurers, humanoids, and Neverwinter citizens being turned into undead. All of them under control of his ‘minions’ who are already present. This sounds pretty strong to me.

* Furthermore, what are these 'primordial' and souls of people being fed to the Ring to empower it? That's not how the Rings operated in HL.*
Sounds like he made an adjustment to the one Neverwinter. Did Tam make changes to the ones erected in Thay from the original design?

* It was noted that the Dread Ring in Neverwinter had been “activated” 1462 DR. Why would that be? There were already Dread Rings in Thay that time, and it was mentioned in HL that the Rings followed a certain geographical pattern localized in Thay. Thus, given the time frame, that one in NW was useless.*

And as you noted above the ones in Thay didn’t work. He needs more of them in order to achieve his goals. (Goodhood, breaking Banes contract) Here is a question: When were the Dread Rings in Thay activated? Before or after 1462 DR?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  22:44:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andrekan

What may be important in this backdrop of events in this book may lead up to an events dealing with the Netherese being angered by Thay and possibly launching an invasion there beyond this Series.

Perhaps. Telamont could send Sembian armies.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  22:57:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

Here is a question: When were the Dread Rings in Thay activated? Before or after 1462 DR?

It wasn't mentioned when exactly were the Dread Rings in Thay completed and activated, but it's definitely before 1478 DR, the year when all of them were rendered useless. Hence, Szass Tam shouldn't have been building Dread Rings outside Thay before 1478. The very reason he wanted to be Thay's sole sovereign was to be unopposed, to possess all of the realm's resources, and have total freedom in erecting the said bastions.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2011 :  04:25:39  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

What may be important in this backdrop of events in this book may lead up to an events dealing with the Netherese being angered by Thay and possibly launching an invasion there beyond this Series.

Even with Sembian armies, I somehow doubt they would march on Thay. For one, the amount of distance between the two lands is daunting. No amount of magical transport can change that. The lands surrounding Sembia would also likely jump to take advantage of a weakened Sembia. And of course, there is the little matter of Thay being far more of a military powerhouse, even after the events of Haunted lands.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2011 :  04:37:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Even with Sembian armies, I somehow doubt they would march on Thay. For one, the amount of distance between the two lands is daunting. No amount of magical transport can change that. The lands surrounding Sembia would also likely jump to take advantage of a weakened Sembia. And of course, there is the little matter of Thay being far more of a military powerhouse, even after the events of Haunted lands.

True, true. I wasn't really serious when I said the comment above. It's an unconscious manifestation of my wish to see two of favorite characters fight.

Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  17:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

Entreri ASSUMES Jarlaxle betrayed him. I haven't read the whole Neverwinter yet so unless they explicitly say later in the book Jarlaxle gave him up to the Netherese it could just as easily have been Kimmuriel who never liked Artemis to begin with. In Gauntlgrym Entreri merely thought about how the dark elves came demanding he serve them with Calihye mixed up in it. It stated he killed those drow...perhaps Kimmuriel wanted to send a message to Entreri without Jarlaxle any the wiser.

Well, In Gauntlegrym, Entreri did specifically say "One does not double cross a person like Jarlaxle baerne without consequences"

Right, since he left Jarlaxle he could assume it was Jarlaxle that gave him up. Have yet to see any shred of someone actually saying or confirming it was Jarlaxle yet. Just as easily could have been Kimmuriel.
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  17:58:47  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lashing out at his incompetent minions. He had never done that before.

Little different when you know you have 1000 years to set up functioning Dread Rings and become the new Overgod or Bane is going to rule you for eternity, no?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  18:05:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

He had that same situation in The Haunted Lands Trilogy. But he never lashed out to anyone, except, of course, those who attacked him. He didn't even turn into some vengeful brute after someone whom he trusted [yes, you heard that right, he's capable of trust] betrayed him in the end.

Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  19:08:02  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always found him level headed, but not beyond what happened in Neverwinter. There's reasons people around him walk as if on egg shells.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  19:17:21  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He had that same situation in The Haunted Lands Trilogy. But he never lashed out to anyone, except, of course, those who attacked him. He didn't even turn into some vengeful brute after someone whom he trusted [yes, you heard that right, he's capable of trust] betrayed him in the end.

He didn't have the same situation of having to build Dread Rings elsewhere. Up until the very end of Unholy, he could perform the ritual in Thay, his original plan wasn't a failure yet. Now while he does have 1000 years, he must find ways to construct more Dread Rings elsewhere in order to perform the ritual. Every success and failure from this point on is a little more urgent.

Not to mention the guy he was throwing the bolts at was a guy who wasn't even a Thayan but a member of a cult that was aligned with Tam's forces. He didn't even "get angry" with the guy, he just put him in his place as if to say "the important people are talking, stop interrupting".
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  01:53:28  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

He didn't have the same situation of having to build Dread Rings elsewhere. Up until the very end of Unholy, he could perform the ritual in Thay, his original plan wasn't a failure yet. Now while he does have 1000 years, he must find ways to construct more Dread Rings elsewhere in order to perform the ritual. Every success and failure from this point on is a little more urgent.

Not to mention the guy he was throwing the bolts at was a guy who wasn't even a Thayan but a member of a cult that was aligned with Tam's forces. He didn't even "get angry" with the guy, he just put him in his place as if to say "the important people are talking, stop interrupting".

The problem is that he is acting that way in Neverwinter before the attempt in Thay goes bad. That doesn't seem to jive with how he acts once the ritual is rendered useless in Thay. He offers to let the Zulkirs just walk away after suffering total failure and extreme betrayal. That doesn't sound like someone who blasts folk with death lightning over set backs that don't seem to actually set him back in anyway that we can detect yet.

I wonder if the Neverwinter Dread Ring is some type of decoy. It's meant to attract attention to itself so none of the powerful folk in that neck of the woods are contemplating venturing into Thay (and potentially stumbling onto Tam's real plans). Or to distract, or actively oppose, the Netherese. I suppose the down side to that idea is that it could end up drawing attention to Thay itself.

Another possibility is that it is part of the design. A larger circle beyond the main circle within Thay. The Thayan circle is the focal point so Thay suffered the blowback when it failed. If that is the case, the whole deal probably looks similar to a transmutation circle from Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. In particular, the one for the massive ritual near the series finale. It is a series of ever larger circles that start in a room (example pic, not how it actually looks in the finale) and end up encircling an entire country and their anchor points are the scenes of military conquest and alchemical rituals.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  01:59:58  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

And it seems that this is all taking place before the events of Bury Elminster Deep- so apparently Tam's got little to worry about form any Chosen. Too bad, I'd like to see what the Simbul would do ablout all of this....

Well, you just might. We have no idea what Ed has in store for her in the next Elminster novel...although it would seem to be somewhat important.
I was disappointed in Neverwinter compared to previous books, although thrilled to see Entreri returned. The thing that has always struck me as rather strange in this is how life-extending items always seem to find their ways onto antagonists. I know that having all of the Companions live lengthly lives would be unrealistic, but having Cattie Brie or Regis get one wouldn't have been terrible. Ed got to keep Storm and the Simbul in 4E, and bring back Mystra, too. I realize that Bob and Ed have separate contracts, but it seems like Drizzt never catches a break with anyone about whom he cares.
On a randomly-related tangent: can anyone figure out how old Drizzt is, now? I'm guessing around 200, but my math is most likely off.
In closing, Neverwinter is clearly what it was billed to be: an introduction to a video game (albeit now a year too early) that allowed WoTC to get Bob Salvatore to write yet another Drizzt novel. I agree that the fight seens are getting less thrilling, and I felt that the second act of the book was much better than the first. I wish that Bob had done more with respect to Mielikki and who Drizzt now worships, given the importance of Mielikki in his past. Given Mielikki's...gifts to others who didn't even worship her (Wulfgar, Bruenor, Regis, maybe Cattie Brie) it seems like she still has some power. Since I have to rate this against all of Bob's other works, I'd give it a C+.

Azuth

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  02:16:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

quote:

quote:

The problem is that he is acting that way in Neverwinter before the attempt in Thay goes bad. That doesn't seem to jive with how he acts once the ritual is rendered useless in Thay. He offers to let the Zulkirs just walk away after suffering total failure and extreme betrayal. That doesn't sound like someone who blasts folk with death lightning over set backs that don't seem to actually set him back in anyway that we can detect yet.
You beat me to it. Well said.

quote:
I wonder if the Neverwinter Dread Ring is some type of decoy. It's meant to attract attention to itself so none of the powerful folk in that neck of the woods are contemplating venturing into Thay (and potentially stumbling onto Tam's real plans). Or to distract, or actively oppose, the Netherese. I suppose the down side to that idea is that it could end up drawing attention to Thay itself.

I say it's rather unlikely for the same reason you noted: it would eventually draw attention to Thay. Also, I don't think Szass would have to worry about the Netherese. Telamont's empire is too far from Thay that he hardly considers the undead land a threat.

Go to Top of Page

Andrekan
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  05:59:04  Show Profile Send Andrekan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figured Drizzt's age up about six months ago in a discussion room somewhere on date references within Time lines of novels gauged to Realmslore event dates, overlaps in gaming products between editions and other information guides possible errors, speculations etc..

My total figure for that discussion was for 1479 DR Drizzt might be around 182 years old. I don't believe I received a reply on my estimations.

However, I believe my answer may have been mentioned in this latest book which it seemed like Drizzt figured himself 168 years old while he tried to figure out how old Artemis Entreri was, which Drizzt guessed 140 years old. Artemis was unsure for certain himself and always has been from childhood. The time frame of the events in this book, which is around 1462 DR, as I think someone mentioned earlier. I would have to check my book to be certain. It has been almost a week today since I finished it and it seems like a very long week has finally just ended.

"Those two talk only of drink, riches, women, brawling, and magic, so ye've a one in five chance..." Quote from "Elminster in Hell"
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  07:49:53  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This isn't an apples to apples comparison though. The combined Zulkiers are not the same as some random leader of an Ashmadai cult allied with his forces around Neverwinter. He has nothing to gain from fighting the Zulkiers, and very much to lose. Much easier to offer to let them just walk away. At the point in the novel, the Ashmadai fighter Jestry is really just a minor figure. He's not even lashing out in an uncontrolled manner just more of a "mom and dad are talking so go sit in the corner" type of way, as it was not "death" lightning since he hit the guy twice and he got up after no worse for the wear.

Also, you're looking at the timeline and thinking it makes no sense for him to act one way PRIOR to how he acts later on. But wouldn't it be possible if he had an earlier failure he was able to be more stoic about future ones knowing perhaps how he handled things previously was his undoing in those endeavors?

Or is your reasoning that this story years earlier of a Dread Ring outside of Thay was some sort of diversion or ruse to keep eyes from turning inward? Given how the book ends I wonder if Salvatore will even have Tam in the next book. I could easily see it being more about Drizzt/Dahlia/Entreri v. the Shadovar with no real mention of Valindra or the remaining allies of Sylora and Tam.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2011 :  21:10:54  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

In fairness, in Unholy, Szass was contemplating lashing at at a minion while he was in the basement hunting(unknown to him) Malark. At this point, he was preparing himself for the ritual, and to view all things with dislike.

And in Thay, there was no minor person stupid enough to interrupt Szass Tam or annoy him like the insignificant cockroach in Neverwinter.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  00:20:46  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Though it may have been briefly mentioned in Book I in this Neverwinter Series the Netherese were searching for one of their fallen cities that was believed to contain powerful artifacts.

Aye, in Gauntlgrym we were told that Alegni was leading the Netherese Expedition for fallen Xinlenal Enclave in Neverwinter Wood. He was removed from command and punished in 1452 DR.

Sakkors Enclave was apparently raised again between 1452 and 1462 DR. We were told that the other enclaves continued to decay in the Phaerimm Desert.

And then just before 1462 DR, Alegni was reassigned as the expedition leader for Xinlenal Enclave. This indicates that Xinlenal still had not been found.

quote:
Szass Tam was may possibly have been searching for signs of it as well when he started to set up his Dread Ring there. This of course would be if it contained the Warlock's Crypt which belonged to Larloch.

That sounds possible. We are told that Tam considers the Netherese in Neverwinter his enemies, but we were never told why. Perhaps he wants the same thing the Netherese do.

When Dahlia first proposes the idea of unleashing destruction along the Sword Coast North, Tam jumps at the idea, but we are kept in the dark as to exactly why.

quote:
The Netherese have or do find the Fallen Citadel and WILL keep it a secret to everyone in that area. Whether it was Larloch's old Haunt that fell before Karsus we will just have to wait and see unless that is in another Novel somewhere. I think the idea is to wet the readers appetite to look deeper into the Forgotten Realms for answers.

What's that you say? Cross-marketing???

quote:

Indeed, the Netherese Shadovar have alrighty begun fighting Tam's minions and the Ashmadai cultists in Neverwinter Wood in Gauntlgrym. There, the actions are detailed, but never any of their motives.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  00:32:44  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

On a randomly-related tangent: can anyone figure out how old Drizzt is, now? I'm guessing around 200, but my math is most likely off.

My calculations show that Drizzt was probably born in early 1298 DR, which indicates that he was 164 at the end of Gauntlgrm, around summer of 1462 DR. This coincides with Andrekan's calculation.

TSR and WOTC have gone with a 1297 DR birthyear for Drizzt, but I cannot understand why, given the time clues in all the books. It's complicated, to say the least.

At any rate, 1462 DR - 1297 DR = 165 years, which still would not make 168 years of age, so I don't know where Drizzt was coming from, there.

Also, by my calculations, Artemis Entreri was probably born in late 1326 DR, which would've made him four decades old in the summer of 1367 DR in Servant of the Shard, exactly as described in the text. This would've also allowed for him to have seen more than four decades of life (i.e., 41 years of age) in the following summer of 1368 DR, in Promise of the Witch-King.

1462 DR - 1326 DR = ~136 years old at the end of Gauntlgrym.

EDIT: Fixed Entreri birthyear

Edited by - BEAST on 24 Oct 2011 04:51:12
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  04:07:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Also, by my calculations, Artemis Entreri was probably born in late 1226 DR, which would've made him four decades old in the summer of 1367 DR in Servant of the Shard, exactly as described in the text. This would've also allowed for him to have seen more than four decades of life (i.e., 41 years of age) in the following summer of 1368 DR, in Promise of the Witch-King.

1462 DR - 1226 DR = ~136 years old at the end of Gauntlgrym.

1226 to 1367 is four decades? That's some interesting math...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  04:50:07  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D'oh! Gotta fix dat!

And thanks for the heads up by PM from darkwalk, as well!

Go to Top of Page

Andrekan
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  17:25:08  Show Profile Send Andrekan a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
The Netherese have or do find the Fallen Citadel and WILL keep it a secret to everyone in that area. Whether it was Larloch's old Haunt that fell before Karsus we will just have to wait and see unless that is in another Novel somewhere. I think the idea is to wet the readers appetite to look deeper into the Forgotten Realms for answers.

Yes, that might be possible, for there is some information to be looked at in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting which refer to this fallen city the Netherese have found. Yes, they are possibly planning to launch a floating fortress made for war like Faerun has not seen since before the fall of Karsus at Thay. Don't remember the exact pages but I do remember reading about something to that effect.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  17:44:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't think The Most High is that reckless. He may be able to win against Szass Tam and conquer Thay, but at a great cost, making himself and his empire susceptible to attacks by other power groups. There are several less powerful, more vulnerable realms he can seize first before moving on to the "big" and well-defended ones. Then again, Telamont is sly and keeps a lot of secrets. So for all we know, he had long ago captured some nations, or influenced their politics to the extent that their leaders would bend to his wishes, and soon will utilize them, together with the new-found enclave in Neverwinter, to supplant Szass Tam and secure Thay.

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  20:11:08  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes, that might be possible, for there is some information to be looked at in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting which refer to this fallen city the Netherese have found. Yes, they are possibly planning to launch a floating fortress made for war like Faerun has not seen since before the fall of Karsus at Thay. Don't remember the exact pages but I do remember reading about something to that effect.

p.110...?
Go to Top of Page

Mandarb Carai an Caldazar
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  23:30:49  Show Profile Send Mandarb Carai an Caldazar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In regards to the Netherese influence in the north I suspect we'll get some insight into their organization in the next Neverwinter book as Dahlia will want to do her utmost to kill Alegni and Drizzt wont abandon her. At the same time, I suspect (and hope!) Paul Kemp will give us more information on the Netherese in general and Telamont and his sons specifically in his next trilogy.

A Drizzt/Dahlia/Artemis team-up would be VERY formidable if the events of the next Neverwinter book take the course I suspect they will.

I found the Luskan scenes a good backdrop for Drizzt to show that he's moving on from his losses and finding his adventurous center again. I had also just assumed they were foreshadowing for future events, I mean, Artemis is going to want to go there once he figures out Beniago has his dagger and not Alegni.

Does anyone think we'll be seeing Jarlaxle in the next book? The readers are the only ones who know he landed on a ledge and likely escaped destruction if for no other reason than he (likely) had a portable hole on him and rolled into an extra-dimensional pocket or something equally Jarlaxle-slick. I for one am not sure why Drizzt is so ready to accept that he's dead without seeing a body or trying to call his spirit back to ask.

Also, was anyone besides me baffled that Entreri seems to believe its been the sword keeping him alive all this time after that short-story wherein Jarlaxle explains that Artemis sucked some shadowstuff into himself after using his dagger on a shade?

For Manetheren!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  05:53:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You can actually delete the other.

Paul said the Shadovar would have fair amount of novel time in his Cycle of Night trilogy, [or at the very least, Brennus and Rivalen].

Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  12:49:22  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]
Also, was anyone besides me baffled that Entreri seems to believe its been the sword keeping him alive all this time after that short-story wherein Jarlaxle explains that Artemis sucked some shadowstuff into himself after using his dagger on a shade?

Does he believe the sword is keeping him alive or not letting him end his life? The sword heals him. He can't get out of it's service.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  16:12:05  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mandarb Carai an Caldazar

In regards to the Netherese influence in the north I suspect we'll get some insight into their organization in the next Neverwinter book as Dahlia will want to do her utmost to kill Alegni and Drizzt wont abandon her. At the same time, I suspect (and hope!) Paul Kemp will give us more information on the Netherese in general and Telamont and his sons specifically in his next trilogy.

A Drizzt/Dahlia/Artemis team-up would be VERY formidable if the events of the next Neverwinter book take the course I suspect they will.

I found the Luskan scenes a good backdrop for Drizzt to show that he's moving on from his losses and finding his adventurous center again. I had also just assumed they were foreshadowing for future events, I mean, Artemis is going to want to go there once he figures out Beniago has his dagger and not Alegni.

Does anyone think we'll be seeing Jarlaxle in the next book? The readers are the only ones who know he landed on a ledge and likely escaped destruction if for no other reason than he (likely) had a portable hole on him and rolled into an extra-dimensional pocket or something equally Jarlaxle-slick. I for one am not sure why Drizzt is so ready to accept that he's dead without seeing a body or trying to call his spirit back to ask.

Entreri wasn't implying that the sword was the reason for his longevity. Merely that he had been killed a few times, but the sword has the power to resurrect him.
Go to Top of Page

Andrekan
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  23:46:10  Show Profile Send Andrekan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as Jarlaxle, yes. I do think we will be given some information on what has transpired to give the series a holistic resolution. I also remembered Bob mentioning last Spring, that it seemed good to be writing about Drow in the Underdark again. So we will just have to wait and see.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000