Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Are Giants becoming extinct in the realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  17:49:32  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I get that feeling although realistically they could dominate the realms. Since the demise of Ostoria has there ever been a serious push for the Giant races to reunite?

Also can giants interbreed? For example a stone giant and a fire giant etc?

Finally what is your favorite type of Giant?

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  18:48:41  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the Twilight Giants trilogy, I haven't heard much of the giant races at all. I don't necessarily think this means they're going extinct or any such thing, just that they haven't really been involved too heavily in any of the RSEs of recent.

Since there are half-giants, primarily in the Dark Sun setting where a human and a giant can have children, I cant imagine how two different types of giants also could not. I've never heard of any funky giant crossbreeds anywhere before so perhaps the children end up favoring one of the parent's races only. I'm sure the whole breeding (ahem) process might be quite painful for a frost/fire giant combo.

Personally, I have always loved the nordic/viking feel of the Frost Giants. Of course, the recent Thor movie might also have had a small effect on this,

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  21:35:12  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Since the Twilight Giants trilogy, I haven't heard much of the giant races at all. I don't necessarily think this means they're going extinct or any such thing, just that they haven't really been involved too heavily in any of the RSEs of recent.

Since there are half-giants, primarily in the Dark Sun setting where a human and a giant can have children, I cant imagine how two different types of giants also could not. I've never heard of any funky giant crossbreeds anywhere before so perhaps the children end up favoring one of the parent's races only. I'm sure the whole breeding (ahem) process might be quite painful for a frost/fire giant combo.

Personally, I have always loved the nordic/viking feel of the Frost Giants. Of course, the recent Thor movie might also have had a small effect on this,

Yes Frost Giants are pretty much like big Barbarians. I believe the Demon Prince Kostchtchie was originally a Frost Giant...

I like Firbolgs and the whole inability to lie thing.

Eldritch Giants intrigue me
...we need to see more of them

Finally Storm Giants - Love he whole idea of having 20 foot tall, generally good aligned, chaotic ranger types running round tossing lighting bolts....
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  21:47:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of my research into the far North and Giant realms has lead me to believe there have been at least two periods of Ostoria, and at least three separate 'Giant Kingdoms' in the far north.

Bear in mind Ancient Ostoria was composed of at least seven Realms - one for each son of Annam - and perhaps even a few sub-provinces representing the Giant-Kin; this means that some of the later Giant Kingdoms (including Jhothûn and the somewhat later iteration of Ostoria) may have been 'survivor states'. Just because their empire fell at one point does not mean that several of it's pieces could not have survived into modern times.

I think the Giants have been in decline since their war with the Dragons. FR's canon history is a bit fuzzy on this point, since the Twilight Giants trilogy (and associated short story) leads one to believe they brought-about their own destruction. I personally feel it is some combination of the two (giantish history being unwilling to give any credit to the dragons for their fall).

I also feel the Elves were somehow involved, although it could have been indirect - the First (non-Eladrin) Elves to arrive on Toril were sent by the Fey to stop the Dragons (to stop them from accomplishing what, exactly, is unknown). There is also some primordial (period of time, not BEING ) connection between dwarves and giants, also very vague and yet to be explored (their runes and Rune-magic appear to be related, and both are races 'of the earth').

So we have canon history that Elves, Dwarves, and Giants have all gone to war with Dragons in ancient times. There doesn't seem to be any specific animosity between Elves and Giants (perhaps both are some sort of 'eldritch race'), but their is quite a bit of hatred between Dwarves and Giants (which makes me wonder what would happen if those two groups were mutually threatened by a pack of dragons).

I would probably just chalk all of this up to Elves manipulating 'lesser races' (read: anyone besides other Elves/Eladrin/Fey) to do their 'dirty work'. Elves and dwarves have never had much love for each other either, but as far as I know, their has never been any 'great war' between them (discounting local disagreements and other planes of existence).

My own take: I think True primordial Giants were 'Caretakers of the Earth', when the world(s) were first created, and were probably present (but hidden) when the Creator Races ruled on Abeir-Toril. Somehow, when the 'great disaster' struck (WoL&D?) and nearly wiped-out the Creator-Races, the Dragons rose to prominence, which created an artificial imbalance and forced the Giants to once-again take a more active role.

This means that giants go into a hibernation-like state, akin to the Elven retreat, and withdraw from the 'mortal world' until needed.

Also, I think the ancient giants were ruled (if not created) by THE Primordials, and not deities, which would make Annam a Primordial. It just makes more sense that way, IMHO. The primordials seem more connected to the Elements and the maintenance of the natural world, rather then the creatures that dwell upon it. The Giants own indifference toward most other races lends itself well to this outlook.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Oct 2011 21:52:08
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  01:27:01  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Some of my research into the far North and Giant realms has lead me to believe there have been at least two periods of Ostoria, and at least three separate 'Giant Kingdoms' in the far north.

Bear in mind Ancient Ostoria was composed of at least seven Realms - one for each son of Annam - and perhaps even a few sub-provinces representing the Giant-Kin; this means that some of the later Giant Kingdoms (including Jhothûn and the somewhat later iteration of Ostoria) may have been 'survivor states'. Just because their empire fell at one point does not mean that several of it's pieces could not have survived into modern times.

Interesting theory, certainly seems plausible...

quote:
I think the Giants have been in decline since their war with the Dragons. FR's canon history is a bit fuzzy on this point, since the Twilight Giants trilogy (and associated short story) leads one to believe they brought-about their own destruction. I personally feel it is some combination of the two (giantish history being unwilling to give any credit to the dragons for their fall).

I also feel the Elves were somehow involved, although it could have been indirect - the First (non-Eladrin) Elves to arrive on Toril were sent by the Fey to stop the Dragons (to stop them from accomplishing what, exactly, is unknown). There is also some primordial (period of time, not BEING ) connection between dwarves and giants, also very vague and yet to be explored (their runes and Rune-magic appear to be related, and both are races 'of the earth').

I too have noticed the connection between dwarves and Giants,and I'll add, why do Fire Giants look like blown up dwarves? Something is going on there....

quote:
So we have canon history that Elves, Dwarves, and Giants have all gone to war with Dragons in ancient times. There doesn't seem to be any specific animosity between Elves and Giants (perhaps both are some sort of 'eldritch race'), but their is quite a bit of hatred between Dwarves and Giants (which makes me wonder what would happen if those two groups were mutually threatened by a pack of dragons).

I would probably just chalk all of this up to Elves manipulating 'lesser races' (read: anyone besides other Elves/Eladrin/Fey) to do their 'dirty work'. Elves and dwarves have never had much love for each other either, but as far as I know, their has never been any 'great war' between them (discounting local disagreements and other planes of existence).

Well I don't believes the elves ever enslaved the Dwarves and logistically they favor different environments so I'm guessing they probably didn't rub shoulders too often.

quote:
My own take: I think True primordial Giants were 'Caretakers of the Earth', when the world(s) were first created, and were probably present (but hidden) when the Creator Races ruled on Abeir-Toril. Somehow, when the 'great disaster' struck (WoL&D?) and nearly wiped-out the Creator-Races, the Dragons rose to prominence, which created an artificial imbalance and forced the Giants to once-again take a more active role.

This means that giants go into a hibernation-like state, akin to the Elven retreat, and withdraw from the 'mortal world' until needed.

Also, I think the ancient giants were ruled (if not created) by THE Primordials, and not deities, which would make Annam a Primordial. It just makes more sense that way, IMHO. The primordials seem more connected to the Elements and the maintenance of the natural world, rather then the creatures that dwell upon it. The Giants own indifference toward most other races lends itself well to this outlook.

Again you could be on the something here, something big - pardon the pun But it's interesting to note that many Titans tend to think of themselves as Gods. Well perhaps (if they are indeed directly related to Primordials ), they are "Gods"of a sort.

But according to some history of the F.R. time line I read somewhere, Giants were pretty much at their peak when the first Dragons started popping out of the sky not in stealth mode...
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  11:14:34  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt Do'Urden has certainly killed a good few giants in his career, maybe they are going extinct ...
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  11:46:34  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have to be rare otherwise they would rule the planet

in my homebrew world humans and giants are related, not dwarves

Eldritch, death, firbolg, Fhoimorien and rune giants are my favorite types

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  12:18:58  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the decline of giants is connected to Annam's retreat into isolation to become an overpower

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  20:34:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Toril is a BIG place (I forget the exact percentage bigger it is then Earth). I even demonstrated in another thread that an entire (large) continent can fit between Kara-Tur and Maztica/Achorome', without any squeezing. There are many, MANY undetailed regions, including Katashaka, Anchorome', and Osse, along with at least 5 immense islands.

In other words, the giants may be 'rare' in the Realms (which I actually don't believe to be true), but that doesn't mean they are rare elsewhere, and could even be the dominant species elsewhere.

I can't remember any giants in the Maztica material but Native Americans did indeed have myths about giants, so it would make some sense if the FR derivation (northern Maztica & Anchorome) had them.

Zakhara DEFINITELY has giants - several groups, in fact - as does K-T. Oriental Giants appear to be more Hill-giant sized, and interact with their non-giant neighbors. AFAIK, the K-T giants are of one race, and somewhat more intelligent then standard Hill Giants (they may be related to the ancient Ogres of Faerûn, which were smarter and more advanced then the modern ones).

I need to say at this point that for years, MY FR has been diverging from the canon one, more and more as time went on, in order for my game world to better fit with my own cosmology. I finally made the decision awhile back to completely divorce my setting from FR, and the giant-lore had a big part in that decision (but NOT the biggest part... but that's fuel for another thread). I decided I truly hate lore that makes certain things way too FR-specific, because that doesn't work within my cosmological framework - I can't rationalize Annam creating the various races on Toril, because they exist everywhere else as well (and many pre-date the FR giants).

There is even a major continuity glitch regarding Titans in the GHotR, so if the designers can't reconcile the non-sensical lore, then how are we supposed to? Troy Denning did no-one a favor with his series (which I have no problem with if it was a stand-alone setting, but I feel its connections to FR are non-existent, and just creates more problems). If anything, I would place Twilight Vale off-world - perhaps in the Feywild - and it would work better. In fact, I give my full permission for WotC to use that - now that I am thinking on it more, it is the best possible fix. The time-distortion effects of Faerie could even explain some of the continuity gaffs.

Homebrew:
In my setting, all giants are of one race, and they continue growing throughout their near-immortal lives (similar to Gloranthan/Runequest Giants). They make certain choices during their lives, which leads to the various groups (like choosing an Elemental calling, for example). Also, all giants are male... sort of...

Female giants are called Hags.

So you can see why I had to make a clean break from FR and D&D for my gaming.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Oct 2011 20:47:25
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  00:38:11  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's stuff like this I'd love to see more articles in the DDi articles on. But for some reason they keep giving us info on some arrogant noble family in one city, some vague fluff on some magic items tied to a small organization, or some vague NPC in some vaguely described town. The Realmslore on DDi have been very...slim pickings, so to speak.

Whatever happened to articles on entire cities? (Heliogabalus is long overdue, still don't even have a map of the place) Or articles on deities or pantheons? Regional articles? (Only one I remember was the one Vaasa article they did in Dungeon #177, how about one on Sossal?)

To keep in line with this topic, they can do a Realmslore article on some much helpful historical fluff on the Time of the Giants era.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  01:59:28  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

It's stuff like this I'd love to see more articles in the DDi articles on. But for some reason they keep giving us info on some arrogant noble family in one city, some vague fluff on some magic items tied to a small organization, or some vague NPC in some vaguely described town. The Realmslore on DDi have been very...slim pickings, so to speak.

Whatever happened to articles on entire cities? (Heliogabalus is long overdue, still don't even have a map of the place) Or articles on deities or pantheons? Regional articles? (Only one I remember was the one Vaasa article they did in Dungeon #177, how about one on Sossal?)

To keep in line with this topic, they can do a Realmslore article on some much helpful historical fluff on the Time of the Giants era.

I agree the Lore seems to be missing from the realms...I'm really not into the royal court intrigue stuff, it's quite boring IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  10:03:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Giants are hardly my favorite race. However, I find Storm Giants interesting somewhat. And if I’m not mistaken, they are used in the novels more often than others.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  13:35:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Giants are hardly my favorite race. However, I find Storm Giants interesting somewhat. And if I’m not mistaken, they are used in the novels more often than others.

I would have to go with Hill Giants as my favorite. Their intellectual contribution to novels and the setting is unmatched.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  13:41:43  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to me the fate of giants is to eventually blend into the race of man. The size of 'next gen' giants seems to be smaller and smaller; just look at the 'degeneration' from Titans to Verbeeg.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  19:50:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If that were true, Bladewind, then why stop at human-size? Why not continue to generate subsequently smaller "giants" until they become halfling-sized or pixie-sized?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  20:12:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because 'human size' is the goodest size that ever wasest - everyone knows that!

Lets not forget that Firbolga can alter their size, as can Spriggans (and I think Duergar could, originally, IIRC).

Firbolgs shrink to near human size, and spriggans can grow even larger then a human (IIRC). Some interesting correlations, there. Hags were also known to be able to alter their size (although I can't recall if any of the D&D varieties can) and appearance.

Most Fey races - including the ones not normally associated with Fey, like goblins, trolls, giants, etc - can alter either their appearance or size, or both. Considering the Fey penchant for illusions (Glamours), one must wonder if the Fey have taken illusions to their ultimate level - an illusion that cannot be disbelieved is pretty much real, for all intents and purposes.

Could this also be some sort of evolutionary 'trick', where these ancient peoples have learned to either hide from humanity, or blend into it? Those creatures in the second Hellboy movie spring to mind.

I always knew my neighbor was a troll.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Oct 2011 00:59:52
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  12:55:09  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firbolgs & Fomorians are my favorite types of giant (kin).

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000