Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who should wear the Crown?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:37:06  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Seabus Mythforger

If you really want the "Greatest" it is without a doubt Tolkien. And while he's not my favorite, I can't deny nor dismiss the landmark he left on the world of fantasy/fiction. Now if you ask who my favorite is I voted for Margaret Weis (tho she should be listed as a duo with Tracy Hickman for their extraordinary work in the Dragonlance universe). I can still recall vividly the adventures of the Companions throughout the Dragonlance Chronicles and the madness that ensued during the Legends trilogy. And I still will put Raistlin on top of Elminster in my favorite mage category. I mean the guy was one step from God-dom!! He became the most powerful wizard of his time, then went back in time and became the most powerful wizard of that time by killing and assuming the mantle of the mighty Fistandantilus! Not to forget the amazing race of kenders. I think the Tasselhoff Burrfoot/Fizban dynamic is one of the most hilarious duos in fantasy literature running neck and neck with Ivan and Pikel Bouldershoulder.

There was a time when I favored Raistlin over any other wizards in all the novels I read. I wish it were still true today.

What's wrong with Raistlin today?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:45:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dennis, AFAIK, unless matters have changed, George's publisher can't legally do that. (Unless his wife (he recently married) agrees after his death to something different than his already-stated wishes. And considering how much money the series has made him, she's not likely to need the money.)
"Robert Jordan" (James Rigby) was a very different case. He married his editor, Harriet, long before his death, wanted the series finished, and when very ill and near the end talked through with her, and his brother, in recorded conversations, what he wanted to happen in the "last book" (Tor turned it into three books). Harriet approved of Brandon as the writer to finish The Wheel of Time.
So we have authors with different desires as to their popular ongoing series. There are many cases of publishers continuing series or having books ghostwritten (the V.C. Andrews books, for example), but things have tightened up legally, and unless rights have been signed over (the Realms, for example) or an author's estate agrees (the many Eric Flint expansions of classic sf authors, like James H. Schmitz, for example, or the continuation of Zelazny's Amber series that ended abruptly with the collapse of that publisher), such posthumous continuations are less likely to happen than they once were.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  04:44:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

quote:

quote:

If you really want the "Greatest" it is without a doubt Tolkien. And while he's not my favorite, I can't deny nor dismiss the landmark he left on the world of fantasy/fiction. Now if you ask who my favorite is I voted for Margaret Weis (tho she should be listed as a duo with Tracy Hickman for their extraordinary work in the Dragonlance universe). I can still recall vividly the adventures of the Companions throughout the Dragonlance Chronicles and the madness that ensued during the Legends trilogy. And I still will put Raistlin on top of Elminster in my favorite mage category. I mean the guy was one step from God-dom!! He became the most powerful wizard of his time, then went back in time and became the most powerful wizard of that time by killing and assuming the mantle of the mighty Fistandantilus! Not to forget the amazing race of kenders. I think the Tasselhoff Burrfoot/Fizban dynamic is one of the most hilarious duos in fantasy literature running neck and neck with Ivan and Pikel Bouldershoulder.

There was a time when I favored Raistlin over any other wizards in all the novels I read. I wish it were still true today.

Hmmn. Can I just too many to enumerate?

Seriously, though, it's not him. It's more like my perceptions of him that have changed.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  04:57:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Dennis, AFAIK, unless matters have changed, George's publisher can't legally do that. (Unless his wife (he recently married) agrees after his death to something different than his already-stated wishes. And considering how much money the series has made him, she's not likely to need the money.)
"Robert Jordan" (James Rigby) was a very different case. He married his editor, Harriet, long before his death, wanted the series finished, and when very ill and near the end talked through with her, and his brother, in recorded conversations, what he wanted to happen in the "last book" (Tor turned it into three books). Harriet approved of Brandon as the writer to finish The Wheel of Time.
So we have authors with different desires as to their popular ongoing series. There are many cases of publishers continuing series or having books ghostwritten (the V.C. Andrews books, for example), but things have tightened up legally, and unless rights have been signed over (the Realms, for example) or an author's estate agrees (the many Eric Flint expansions of classic sf authors, like James H. Schmitz, for example, or the continuation of Zelazny's Amber series that ended abruptly with the collapse of that publisher), such posthumous continuations are less likely to happen than they once were.
love,
THO

Yes. I'm aware of Jordan's case. I was also a follower of his series.

Did Martin really say he didn't want anyone else to finish his series in the event of his demise? To tell you honestly, though, I would understand if he did. Before one my fellow writers in [A] died of lung cancer, [he’s someone who’s influenced most of my work], he made it a point that our publisher would never get someone else to finish his historical series. Pride, legacy, and all that…

Go to Top of Page

Laeknir
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  05:20:23  Show Profile  Visit Laeknir's Homepage Send Laeknir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

love,
THO

Yes. I'm aware of Jordan's case. I was also a follower of his series.

Did Martin really say he didn't want anyone else to finish his series in the event of his demise? To tell you honestly, though, I would understand if he did. Before one my fellow writers in [A] died of lung cancer, [he’s someone who’s influenced most of my work], he made it a point that our publisher would never get someone else to finish his historical series. Pride, legacy, and all that…

What have you written? Just curious.

Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  07:26:29  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Seriously, though, it's not him. It's more like my perceptions of him that have changed.

Yeah, I can understand that. And don't get me wrong. I still love Elminster, Blackstaff and a number of other insanely powerful wizards but Raistlin holds that special place in my heart.

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Abenabin Gimblescrew
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  07:36:22  Show Profile Send Abenabin Gimblescrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the writer's rights should be preserved. As a writer by hobby, and hopefully someday a published author, I know I wouldn't want my works continued without my permission.

Some might consider that being selfish and I don't see anything wrong with that. If you thought it up, and you made it what it is, then why shouldn't you decide the fate of it with your own?

Invention is the key to staying ahead of the competition.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  08:59:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Laeknir,

You have to be a Filipino to know. ;)

I don't think you ever heard of me, or of my work. I'm using pen names, by the way.

---------

Abenabin,

I can understand that. Though if it's my best friend who's going to continue my unfinished series, or someone else I trust enough who can stick to my vision as closely as possible, then I'd give him/her my consent.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:04:26  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe that Terry Brooks isn't on here. I don't care much for his latest works, but the original Shannara books are hard to beat IMHO.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:09:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Light

My favourite author is Brent Weeks, author of the Night Angel Trilogy and the Black Prism. If you haven't read these...then do so.

Brent Weeks is a great author and i love his stuff so far, but way to early for him to be on this list

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:28:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

This looks like a good listing.

And this, too.

Stephen King as a fantasy author? barf

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:32:18  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This poll about the greatest fanatasist seems to have brought out the greatest fanatics. ;)

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:36:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

I can't believe that Terry Brooks isn't on here. I don't care much for his latest works, but the original Shannara books are hard to beat IMHO.

I was debating between him and Farland.

I even felt bad not including Rowling in the list. HP series has been such a huge phenomenon that broke barriers between audiences, as the young and adults alike devoured it.

For those who voted authors not on the list, fret not. Just choose "Other" and every once in a while I will post a tally of the individual votes for that choice.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:49:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

My favourite author is Brent Weeks, author of the Night Angel Trilogy and the Black Prism. If you haven't read these...then do so.

Brent Weeks is a great author and i love his stuff so far, but way to early for him to be on this list

I'm inclined to agree.

I already bought The Black Prism but haven't read it yet. Its blurb somehow reminds me of C.S. Friedman's The Magister Trilogy. And oh! I wish they'd publish---even as just limited edition---hardbound copies of The Night Angel. The newspaper-like quality almost ascertains its short shelf life in my library.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:49:21  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I can understand that. And don't get me wrong. I still love Elminster, Blackstaff and a number of other insanely powerful wizards but Raistlin holds that special place in my heart.

Raitlin was the little guy who showed them all after years of being hurt and humiliated :)
Soulforge was such a nice addition to the series.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:55:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

And this, too.

He wrote The Dark Tower series, which is a combination of several genre, including, if not predominantly, fantasy.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:08:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I dunno... The Sword of Shannara was a revamped Lord of the Rings... And when the shade of Bremen makes its prophecy, the conclusion the characters reach from that prophecy is so blatantly illogical that it detracts from the entire story.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:09:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

And this, too.

I enjoyed his fantasy novel The Eyes of the Dragon.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:19:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I dunno... The Sword of Shannara was a revamped Lord of the Rings... And when the shade of Bremen makes its prophecy, the conclusion the characters reach from that prophecy is so blatantly illogical that it detracts from the entire story.

I still need to make an effort with Brooks' works. I recall a discussion of the Shannara books coming up here at Candlekeep earlier in the year, and that re-triggered my interest in these works. I'm especially intrigued by those "Druid-centric" novels...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:20:02  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I was debating between him and Farland.

I even felt bad not including Rowling in the list. HP series has been such a huge phenomenon that broke barriers between audiences, as the young and adults alike devoured it.

For those who voted authors not on the list, fret not. Just choose "Other" and every once in a while I will post a tally of the individual votes for that choice.

I do enjoy Farlands Runelords series too, though i found the first few books in the series much more enjoyable than the last few.

Everyone on here who has posted would probably come up with 12 different authors for this poll, with a few overlaps in between. I think you did a pretty good job with the ones you selected.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:21:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm inclined to agree.

I already bought The Black Prism but haven't read it yet. Its blurb somehow reminds me of C.S. Friedman's The Magister Trilogy. And oh! I wish they'd publish---even as just limited edition---hardbound copies of The Night Angel. The newspaper-like quality almost ascertains its short shelf life in my library.

I also have yet to reat the Black Prism, but it's on my list. This book is set in a new world correct?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:25:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I dunno... The Sword of Shannara was a revamped Lord of the Rings...

You're not the only one who thinks so. When asked about it, Brooks said something along this line, "Are there any fantasy novels that don't follow Tolkien?"

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:27:35  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And this, too.

He wrote The Dark Tower series, which is a combination of several genre, including, if not predominantly, fantasy.

Meh. Granted, I have not read the Dark Tower series simply because it does not interest me in the slightest, but from what i have heard it sounds mostly like SciFi. I prefer hardcore fantasy: no guns, cars, modern tech, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:30:31  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

I still need to make an effort with Brooks' works. I recall a discussion of the Shannara books coming up here at Candlekeep earlier in the year, and that re-triggered my interest in these works. I'm especially intrigued by those "Druid-centric" novels...

Wishsong of Shannara is my favorite fantasy book (or BOOK period) of all time. I read it for the first time when i was 12 and have re-read it at least 5 times since. Terry Brooks got me hooked on the fantasy genre when i was young and the world he created in my mind is the most vivid out of anything i have read.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:33:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I enjoyed his fantasy novel The Eyes of the Dragon.

He might be better off as a fantasy author - I never really cared for his horror.

Think about - a giant spider-turned clown is ridiculous (IMHO), but how much cooler does it become in D&D if a offshoot of Aranea became evil psionicists with the ability to cloak their appearance with mind-numbing illusions?

Horror is merely the red-headed stepchild of fantasy - have you ever read Grimm's Fairy Tales in their original form? Rather gruesome, actually.

The Throne of Bones is one of my favorite cross-genre novels; I wouldn't be quite sure where to place it, because it was both macabre and fantastical all at once.

Dennis McKiernan's Mithgar is an admitted Middle-Earth rip-off, and yet, the author has come up with enough novelty for us to overlook the complete derivativeness of his work. The Warrows are obviously Hobbit knock-offs, and at the same time are much more creative then Tolkien's original.

There are so many sub-genres of fantasy I don't think an answer to this question is possible. Aren't things like Indiana Jones, Wild, Wild West, and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen all fantasy? Isn't Star Wars?

Even the DaVinci Code could be classified as fantasy, because anything fictional (even if based upon half-truths) is fantasy, technically. Recently I discovered a new (to me) genre - the adventure novel; I was stuck somewhere about two years ago with nothing to read but Dirk Pitt novels, and found they were pretty damn entertaining (and even took away a few useful bits for my fantasy gaming!)

And then there is taste - everyone's is different. I find The wildly popular Shanarra series a bore - I have never been able to get past the first couple of chapters. I loved LotR and The Hobbit, and yet couldn't finish the Silmarillion (it reads like a monotonous history text book to me). I have heard people rave about the Gormenghast novels, and I find them an utter waste of dead trees (the paper, in case you didn't get that).

And I am sure there are plenty of books I loved that others here would hate, and that's okay, because we are all different, and tha'ts the way it should be.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Oct 2011 16:36:25
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:37:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

You're not the only one who thinks so. When asked about it, Brooks said something along this line, "Are there any fantasy novels that don't follow Tolkien?"

I agree that Sword of Shannara was not a totally original plot, but MOST epic fantasy stories like that are going to run along the same lines of LOTR. Good vs Evil, the unsuspecting hero, might and magic....it's all been done before. This difference is all about how the author gives the story their own flavor. That and creating a memorable setting of course....which Shannara is for me.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:39:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm inclined to agree.

I also have yet to reat the Black Prism, but it's on my list. This book is set in a new world correct?

Yes, totally new. Weeks mentioned in his site that he wouldn't return to Midcyru yet, not even after The Lightbringer is finished. Though he also said there may be changes to his plans and he might write another series set in Midcyru, or at the very least, a stand-alone novel.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:41:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree that Sword of Shannara was not a totally original plot, but MOST epic fantasy stories like that are going to run along the same lines of LOTR. Good vs Evil, the unsuspecting hero, might and magic....it's all been done before. This difference is all about how the author gives the story their own flavor. That and creating a memorable setting of course....which Shannara is for me.

There's a difference between running along the same lines and being almost identical. I'm fine with similarities, but there's just too many of them in Sword.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:47:45  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From this list i picked Tolkien...But WHERE IS ROBERT E. HOWARD?????

Robert Howard is for me the best storyteller of fantasy ....He had an overwhelming talent on writing!!!

But and Tolkien was a creative mind with Middle Earth...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:51:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's a difference between running along the same lines and being almost identical. I'm fine with similarities, but there's just too many of them in Sword.

I would rather have that comment directed to Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World.

Edited by - Dennis on 03 Oct 2011 16:53:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000