Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who should wear the Crown?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:33:51  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis:

Just by seeing the poster's name I know which scrolls I should not read.

Such a mature attitude. But as you say, moving on . . . moving on . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5054 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:39:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi again, all.
Firestorm, I feel your frustration, but having had a chance or two to talk with George (Ed's now-deceased cousin, Mike Glicksohn, was good friends with George, and was his handler at the last Toronto Worldcon, so we had some brief opportunities to chat), here's the thing: that's the way George works.
And if he wasn't puttering away on Wild Cards books and other projects, and wasn't happy, he wouldn't be moving ahead on the Westeros books at all. (Neil Gaiman wrote a famous/infamous blog post about this very thing, entitled "George Martin is Not Your Bitch")
So I understand your pain and share your pain, and yes, George is neither young nor healthy . . . but the way I see it, we've just got to be thankful for the books we've already received and enjoyed . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1265 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:43:35  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dennis: quite often, I think polls for "greatest X of all time" are subconsciously meant more as "tell me who you like" queries. No offense, but I think if you'd started out that way then things would have gone better with this thread. Also, I wasn't intending to be unkind by siding with THO, but your list and your defensive (and somewhat irked) responses do confirm what she was saying. But: it's not a sin to own up to the fact that your list betrayed some inexperience on your part.

No one here is "out to get you", and it's vitally important to understand that when people are offering correctives or advice they aren't being mean or trying to derail you (unless they're obviously hostile, which I don't think anyone has been). But terms like "greatest" and "all time" are really loaded and are pretty much asking for heated challenge/debate. How does one even begin to compare someone like Clark Ashton Smith, who published a great deal (creating worlds, not just stories) and had a giant influence on Lovecraft and all subsequent horror fiction, with someone like J.K. Rowling (created one world, and made tons of money)? It's said that Rowling is richer than the Queen of England, but C.A. Smith ended up skirting poverty most of his life. "Greater/lesser" and "all time" can mean VERY different things, depending on what you're really asking, and only a deeper experience with literature can answer why.

The more I read, not just in fantasy/sci-fi but also in general fiction and non-fiction, the more I am convinced that questions like "who is the greatest X" are really code for "who do you love?" with the unwritten/unspoken subtext of "...and I hope I can get some ideas for new books to read, without seeming like I haven't read very much or that I'm a newbie in this genre." Nobody likes to be viewed as a newbie, of course, and I think asking for those things here are worse than asking at a bookstore. This forum is filled with writers, editors, and others associated with the publishing field, as well as people of all ages who have been reading and delving deep into fiction for decades.

So my friendly advice: just try not to be offended if someone is pointing out one's lack of experience. I think I came off as "HA! Suckah!" (which was NOT my intent) rather than a wink and a poke-jibe saying "Heh, she gotcha, kiddo." So please don't be offended by what I said. But DO use this as an opportunity to broaden your experience and recognize that people here are pretty wise and friendly folk. Usually.

4E Realms was awful, but it's water under the Boareskyr Bridge. Let's make 5E Realms truly shine!
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Learned Scribe

76 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:52:08  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you really want the "Greatest" it is without a doubt Tolkien. And while he's not my favorite, I can't deny nor dismiss the landmark he left on the world of fantasy/fiction. Now if you ask who my favorite is I voted for Margaret Weis (tho she should be listed as a duo with Tracy Hickman for their extraordinary work in the Dragonlance universe). I can still recall vividly the adventures of the Companions throughout the Dragonlance Chronicles and the madness that ensued during the Legends trilogy. And I still will put Raistlin on top of Elminster in my favorite mage category. I mean the guy was one step from God-dom!! He became the most powerful wizard of his time, then went back in time and became the most powerful wizard of that time by killing and assuming the mantle of the mighty Fistandantilus! Not to forget the amazing race of kenders. I think the Tasselhoff Burrfoot/Fizban dynamic is one of the most hilarious duos in fantasy literature running neck and neck with Ivan and Pikel Bouldershoulder.

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
802 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:04:16  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Firestorm, I feel your frustration, but having had a chance or two to talk with George (Ed's now-deceased cousin, Mike Glicksohn, was good friends with George, and was his handler at the last Toronto Worldcon, so we had some brief opportunities to chat), here's the thing: that's the way George works.
And if he wasn't puttering away on Wild Cards books and other projects, and wasn't happy, he wouldn't be moving ahead on the Westeros books at all. (Neil Gaiman wrote a famous/infamous blog post about this very thing, entitled "George Martin is Not Your Bitch")
So I understand your pain and share your pain, and yes, George is neither young nor healthy . . . but the way I see it, we've just got to be thankful for the books we've already received and enjoyed . . .
love,
THO

lol. I never said he was. I merely said it was infuriating and disheartening.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:07:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

I voted for G.R.R. Martin, I do love my Tolkien, it's just that there's so much more intrigue and it's far grittier

I do find the length of time between his books quite infuriating and have wondered whether he will manage to complete the series.

Yep. I followed his blog for years desperately wondering when the next book would be out and it was always infuriating to read about how he was spending weeks or months on tours and discussion groups, or football games or just loafing, and often wrote "I wrote 2 pages today. That's more than I have written in a month in almost 2 years"

Disheartening to say the least. Especially since the first 3 books never had more than 2 years between them. Book 4 took 5 years and book 5 took 7 years.....

Imagine how many emails he's received clamoring for him to finish his books earlier than his wont. But that's just the way how he works. And if we're statisfied with the results, then I guess that's what matters most.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:10:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seabus Mythforger

If you really want the "Greatest" it is without a doubt Tolkien. And while he's not my favorite, I can't deny nor dismiss the landmark he left on the world of fantasy/fiction. Now if you ask who my favorite is I voted for Margaret Weis (tho she should be listed as a duo with Tracy Hickman for their extraordinary work in the Dragonlance universe). I can still recall vividly the adventures of the Companions throughout the Dragonlance Chronicles and the madness that ensued during the Legends trilogy. And I still will put Raistlin on top of Elminster in my favorite mage category. I mean the guy was one step from God-dom!! He became the most powerful wizard of his time, then went back in time and became the most powerful wizard of that time by killing and assuming the mantle of the mighty Fistandantilus! Not to forget the amazing race of kenders. I think the Tasselhoff Burrfoot/Fizban dynamic is one of the most hilarious duos in fantasy literature running neck and neck with Ivan and Pikel Bouldershoulder.

There was a time when I favored Raistlin over any other wizards in all the novels I read. I wish it were still true today.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
802 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:12:50  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

I voted for G.R.R. Martin, I do love my Tolkien, it's just that there's so much more intrigue and it's far grittier

I do find the length of time between his books quite infuriating and have wondered whether he will manage to complete the series.

Yep. I followed his blog for years desperately wondering when the next book would be out and it was always infuriating to read about how he was spending weeks or months on tours and discussion groups, or football games or just loafing, and often wrote "I wrote 2 pages today. That's more than I have written in a month in almost 2 years"

Disheartening to say the least. Especially since the first 3 books never had more than 2 years between them. Book 4 took 5 years and book 5 took 7 years.....

Imagine how many emails he's received clamoring for him to finish his books earlier than his wont. But that's just the way how he works. And if we're statisfied with the results, then I guess that's what matters most.

Unfortunately, he is old and is vehemently against fan fiction. I also read comments that he disapproved of Robert Jordan letting someone else finish his series after he died.
Granted, I am not sure how accurate the quotes are. But my long term fear is that he will pass away like Jordan did, except leaving us with no idea how the story ends.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:18:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Even if he disapproves of letting someone else continue the series after he dies, if his publisher decides to do it, then do it they shall. Besides, he'd be dead by then, so what else can he do? ;)

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
802 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:27:53  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Even if he disapproves of letting someone else continue the series after he dies, if his publisher decides to do it, then do it they shall. Besides, he'd be dead by then, so what else can he do? ;)

For some reason, I am pretty sure they cannot do that.

Especially if he has not told anyone how it is supposed to resolve like Jordan did.
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:37:06  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There was a time when I favored Raistlin over any other wizards in all the novels I read. I wish it were still true today.

What's wrong with Raistlin today?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5054 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:45:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dennis, AFAIK, unless matters have changed, George's publisher can't legally do that. (Unless his wife (he recently married) agrees after his death to something different than his already-stated wishes. And considering how much money the series has made him, she's not likely to need the money.)
"Robert Jordan" (James Rigby) was a very different case. He married his editor, Harriet, long before his death, wanted the series finished, and when very ill and near the end talked through with her, and his brother, in recorded conversations, what he wanted to happen in the "last book" (Tor turned it into three books). Harriet approved of Brandon as the writer to finish The Wheel of Time.
So we have authors with different desires as to their popular ongoing series. There are many cases of publishers continuing series or having books ghostwritten (the V.C. Andrews books, for example), but things have tightened up legally, and unless rights have been signed over (the Realms, for example) or an author's estate agrees (the many Eric Flint expansions of classic sf authors, like James H. Schmitz, for example, or the continuation of Zelazny's Amber series that ended abruptly with the collapse of that publisher), such posthumous continuations are less likely to happen than they once were.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  04:44:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

quote:

quote:

Hmmn. Can I just too many to enumerate?

Seriously, though, it's not him. It's more like my perceptions of him that have changed.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  04:57:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dennis, AFAIK, unless matters have changed, George's publisher can't legally do that. (Unless his wife (he recently married) agrees after his death to something different than his already-stated wishes. And considering how much money the series has made him, she's not likely to need the money.)
"Robert Jordan" (James Rigby) was a very different case. He married his editor, Harriet, long before his death, wanted the series finished, and when very ill and near the end talked through with her, and his brother, in recorded conversations, what he wanted to happen in the "last book" (Tor turned it into three books). Harriet approved of Brandon as the writer to finish The Wheel of Time.
So we have authors with different desires as to their popular ongoing series. There are many cases of publishers continuing series or having books ghostwritten (the V.C. Andrews books, for example), but things have tightened up legally, and unless rights have been signed over (the Realms, for example) or an author's estate agrees (the many Eric Flint expansions of classic sf authors, like James H. Schmitz, for example, or the continuation of Zelazny's Amber series that ended abruptly with the collapse of that publisher), such posthumous continuations are less likely to happen than they once were.
love,
THO

Yes. I'm aware of Jordan's case. I was also a follower of his series.

Did Martin really say he didn't want anyone else to finish his series in the event of his demise? To tell you honestly, though, I would understand if he did. Before one my fellow writers in [A] died of lung cancer, [he’s someone who’s influenced most of my work], he made it a point that our publisher would never get someone else to finish his historical series. Pride, legacy, and all that…

Go to Top of Page

Laeknir
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  05:20:23  Show Profile  Visit Laeknir's Homepage Send Laeknir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

love,
THO

Yes. I'm aware of Jordan's case. I was also a follower of his series.

Did Martin really say he didn't want anyone else to finish his series in the event of his demise? To tell you honestly, though, I would understand if he did. Before one my fellow writers in [A] died of lung cancer, [he’s someone who’s influenced most of my work], he made it a point that our publisher would never get someone else to finish his historical series. Pride, legacy, and all that…

What have you written? Just curious.

Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Learned Scribe

76 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  07:26:29  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Seriously, though, it's not him. It's more like my perceptions of him that have changed.

Yeah, I can understand that. And don't get me wrong. I still love Elminster, Blackstaff and a number of other insanely powerful wizards but Raistlin holds that special place in my heart.

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Abenabin Gimblescrew
Learned Scribe

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  07:36:22  Show Profile Send Abenabin Gimblescrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the writer's rights should be preserved. As a writer by hobby, and hopefully someday a published author, I know I wouldn't want my works continued without my permission.

Some might consider that being selfish and I don't see anything wrong with that. If you thought it up, and you made it what it is, then why shouldn't you decide the fate of it with your own?

Invention is the key to staying ahead of the competition.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  08:59:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Laeknir,

You have to be a Filipino to know. ;)

I don't think you ever heard of me, or of my work. I'm using pen names, by the way.

---------

Abenabin,

I can understand that. Though if it's my best friend who's going to continue my unfinished series, or someone else I trust enough who can stick to my vision as closely as possible, then I'd give him/her my consent.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3085 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:04:26  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe that Terry Brooks isn't on here. I don't care much for his latest works, but the original Shannara books are hard to beat IMHO.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3085 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:09:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Light

My favourite author is Brent Weeks, author of the Night Angel Trilogy and the Black Prism. If you haven't read these...then do so.

Brent Weeks is a great author and i love his stuff so far, but way to early for him to be on this list

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3085 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:28:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

This looks like a good listing.

And this, too.

Stephen King as a fantasy author? barf

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3085 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:32:18  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This poll about the greatest fanatasist seems to have brought out the greatest fanatics. ;)

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:36:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

I can't believe that Terry Brooks isn't on here. I don't care much for his latest works, but the original Shannara books are hard to beat IMHO.

I was debating between him and Farland.

I even felt bad not including Rowling in the list. HP series has been such a huge phenomenon that broke barriers between audiences, as the young and adults alike devoured it.

For those who voted authors not on the list, fret not. Just choose "Other" and every once in a while I will post a tally of the individual votes for that choice.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:49:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Light

My favourite author is Brent Weeks, author of the Night Angel Trilogy and the Black Prism. If you haven't read these...then do so.

Brent Weeks is a great author and i love his stuff so far, but way to early for him to be on this list

I'm inclined to agree.

I already bought The Black Prism but haven't read it yet. Its blurb somehow reminds me of C.S. Friedman's The Magister Trilogy. And oh! I wish they'd publish---even as just limited edition---hardbound copies of The Night Angel. The newspaper-like quality almost ascertains its short shelf life in my library.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
802 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  15:49:21  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I can understand that. And don't get me wrong. I still love Elminster, Blackstaff and a number of other insanely powerful wizards but Raistlin holds that special place in my heart.

Raitlin was the little guy who showed them all after years of being hurt and humiliated :)
Soulforge was such a nice addition to the series.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000