Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who should wear the Crown?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Great Reader

2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  04:36:12  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and yes, I voted for Tolkien... but Michael Moorcock should have been on the list as well. And I second the recommendation for Leiber, Vance, Burroughs, Howard, etc.... and I'll add Jack L. Chalker to the list as well. Like Jack Vance, he attacked the boundary between fantasy and sci-fi, and did so mercilessly. Unlike Vance, he attacked from the sci-fi side. I find it somewhat disappointing that the genre boundary still exists, with the efforts of such luminaries, but as humans, we love nothing more than being able to categorize things. On a related (but completely unrelated to the general topic here) note, don't call Motorhead a metal band, please. They play rock'n'roll. If for no other reason than it's Lemmy's band, and he says so.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  04:59:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Jakk

However, I'm surprised that Tad Williams isn't on the list.

His works are more of a mixture of science fiction and fantasy, which is generally considered a different genre...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Master of Realmslore

1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  15:24:02  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i voted for Tolkien as well. He was the one who put fantasy on the map after all.
Go to Top of Page

4 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  17:00:43  Show Profile Send Direhammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robert E Howard
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1602 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2016 :  03:47:06  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weis (and Hickman). I know they're not the illuminaries that others such as Tolkien are, but they're War of the Lance and Legends of the Twins series are still in my top 5 favorite story lines of all time. I found their characters FAR more engaging than Tolkien's and other's writings.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Master of Realmslore

1240 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2016 :  15:19:37  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tolkien is the most influence, follwed by Lovecraft, but I'm not a fan of their of their writting styles, although I admire their influence, but Robert Jordan is the most talented.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000