Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Most Iconic D&D Monster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  00:22:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Beholders are certainly iconic for those that know the game... But if you don't know D&D, seeing a beholder won't make you think of it. It might make you think of that critter in Big Trouble in Little China...

Funnily enough, I actually once used that imagery for a beholder variant I tweaked with long ago, in my classic "Waterdeep versus the beholder criminal underworld" campaign.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  03:24:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Umpleby and Flumph should be on the cover of the 5e MM.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  07:27:43  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with dragon, but Entreri3478 makes a very good point... why wasn't Rust Monster on the list? Rust monsters and (as already mentioned) beholders are two of the first three critters I think of when someone asks me for my favourite D&D-specific monster... and the tarrasque is the third.

Sage? Alaundo? We need a "tarrasque" smiley.

Edit: Mind you, the displacer beast is rather distinctive as well... as is the roper... and the flumph doesn't get nearly enough respect.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 24 Feb 2012 07:29:25
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  13:40:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

I went with dragon, but Entreri3478 makes a very good point... why wasn't Rust Monster on the list? Rust monsters and (as already mentioned) beholders are two of the first three critters I think of when someone asks me for my favourite D&D-specific monster... and the tarrasque is the third.

Sage? Alaundo? We need a "tarrasque" smiley.

Edit: Mind you, the displacer beast is rather distinctive as well... as is the roper... and the flumph doesn't get nearly enough respect.

There were a few iconic monsters (Rust Monster included) which i just totally forgot about when making the poll.

*This reminded me of a wizard character i had under 2E play who had a Rust Monster familiar...perfect for dealing with those irritating warriors

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  03:26:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There was a beholder featured in that crazy Filipino horror/comedy film starring (if I remember it right) Dolphy. And that was long before D&D was born.

So it boils down to how familiar one is with the D&D setting.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  07:11:18  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I have to go with the Drow. They are an original and extremely iconic creation of the realms. When you think of the realms one of the most prominent images in anyone's mind will be Drizzt or a Drow matron mother.

That would be like saying humans are iconic of the Realms because of Elminster.

Drow are not original to the Realms, and I think that calling them iconic for the setting does a disservice to the setting -- the Realms is so much more than just one or two characters and their race. It doesn't matter if it's Liriel, or Elminster, or Erevis, or Bahb the Fighter -- characters are only one aspect of a setting.

And for me, the images of drow that come most readily to mind are from a Dragon cover and an old Greyhawk supplement/module (I don't actually own it, so I don't know which it is). Images of the Realms that come most readily to mind for me are the covers of Azure Bonds, FR5 The Savage Frontier, FR9 The Bloodstone Lands, Forgotten Realms Adventures, Spellfire, and the cover of the Shadowdale book in the 2E FRCS. Not one of those books has a drow on the cover.

These images are your personal preference and certainly they are iconic and i didn't mean to imply that D&D was just about drow.
Only that the way they have been portrayed and developed is original.
Also when i think of D&D the image i get is of Drizzt and Guenhwyvar ambushing a bunch of orcs in the Orc king.
Elminster has to compete with Gandalf and Dumbledore for recognition nowadays but there arent any other drow rangers around. Even my mom knows I am reading a forgotten realms novel if Drizzt is on the cover.
This cannot be said of any of the other characters in your example.
( dont get me wrong though i love old Erevis myself)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  16:15:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I have to go with the Drow. They are an original and extremely iconic creation of the realms. When you think of the realms one of the most prominent images in anyone's mind will be Drizzt or a Drow matron mother.

Drow are not original to the Realms, and I think that calling them iconic for the setting does a disservice to the setting -- the Realms is so much more than just one or two characters and their race. It doesn't matter if it's Liriel, or Elminster, or Erevis, or Bahb the Fighter -- characters are only one aspect of a setting.

And for me, the images of drow that come most readily to mind are from a Dragon cover and an old Greyhawk supplement/module (I don't actually own it, so I don't know which it is). Images of the Realms that come most readily to mind for me are the covers of Azure Bonds, FR5 The Savage Frontier, FR9 The Bloodstone Lands, Forgotten Realms Adventures, Spellfire, and the cover of the Shadowdale book in the 2E FRCS. Not one of those books has a drow on the cover.

These images are your personal preference and certainly they are iconic and i didn't mean to imply that D&D was just about drow.
Also when i think of D&D the image i get is of Drizzt and Guenhwyvar ambushing a bunch of orcs in the Orc king.
Elminster has to compete with Gandalf and Dumbledore for recognition nowadays but there arent any other drow rangers around. Even my mom knows I am reading a forgotten realms novel if Drizzt is on the cover.

I don't see it as being all that original, since no one else has really portrayed and delevoped them. You could say the same thing about moon elves, since they've not been portrayed and developed outside of Realms novels.

I mentioned exactly one character, and I did not say he was the most recognizable thing in D&D -- I was just using him as an example to this idea that one character is somehow iconic of everything in the entire setting.

What I'm doing is disagreeing with your statement that thinking of the Realms means thinking of drow. Some of us will think of Danilo and Arilyn. Some will think of Azoun IV. Some will think of Elminster, some will think of Alias, some will think of Erevis. Some will think about particular book covers or artwork, of which a very large portion does not include drow. Some will envision Syluné killing a dragon in Shadowdale and being killed in the process, some will envision the Simbul laying waste to Thayans, some will think of the Tears of Selûne trailing across the night sky. And some will think of their own characters, like when my Waterdhavian swashbuckler thief pre-empted his partner's elaborate plan for dealing with guard dogs by simply perching on the gate and opening it, or the draconian-inspired Sembian sorcerer I've been playing with.

My point is that for you, drow may be what is iconic about the Realms -- but you cannot assume that for everyone.

And the topic isn't about what's iconic for the Realms, it's about the most iconic monster or race in D&D.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  19:27:32  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A beholder. Definitely. Drow and Dragons come very close as well.

Edited by - Aryalómë on 25 Feb 2012 19:30:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  02:36:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of the things people are suggesting would only be recognized by people with some knowledge of D&D. For example, if I had no familiarity at all with D&D, and I saw a pic of a drow, I'd be more inclined to think it was some sort of WoW night elf. And Lurue only knows what I'd think of a rust monster, which I've always thought was a very silly looking critter. And I've already mention that beholder-thing in Big Trouble in Little China.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  03:18:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an old piece of art that shows a party opening a chest, with a Dragon rearing up behind them, unseen.

THAT is iconic D&D.

A Dungeon, and a Dragon.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Feb 2012 03:20:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  03:19:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A lot of the things people are suggesting would only be recognized by people with some knowledge of D&D. For example, if I had no familiarity at all with D&D, and I saw a pic of a drow, I'd be more inclined to think it was some sort of WoW night elf. And Lurue only knows what I'd think of a rust monster, which I've always thought was a very silly looking critter. And I've already mention that beholder-thing in Big Trouble in Little China.

I can't ever recall using a rust monster in any of my campaigns.

To be honest, I've always just kind of overlooked the creature, each and every time I flip through a monster book looking for monstrous beasts to populate my encounters with.

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  03:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's something to consider, folks, that others have already brought up, but is worth restating: a lot of the suggested "iconic" critters are rarely, if ever, found outside of D&D. Many of them, in fact, if seen by someone not familiar with D&D, might be mistaken as something out of sci-fi.

Thinks I that if something truly iconic for D&D, it's going to be something that people not familiar with D&D will look at and think, "oh, that must be something D&D-related."

While I agree that in order to be iconic for something, it must reasonate with more than just a segment of those aware of the phenomenon, I disagree that it is possible for anything to be iconic to people unaware of the existence of what it's supposed to represent.

Symbologic representation relies on knowledge of both the symbol and the thing being represented. A cross isn't iconic for Christianity to people who don't know what Christianity is, but that doesn't make it any less of a symbol of it to those who do.

With that in mind, I'm going to have to go with beholders over dragons. Sure, neither of them means 'D&D' to someone who has no knowledge of D&D, but while dragons have powerful associations with millenia of folklore, myths, legends, religions, artwork and fantasy before anyone ever thought of roleplaying, beholders are both strongly associated with roleplaying by most of those who have experience of D&D or any computer game based on it and mostly unique to D&D, as it was not distributed under the OGL and cannot legally be published for other roleplaying games.

The number of roleplayers who don't play D&D is significant and if you count computer roleplaying games and their ilk, outnumber those who play D&D by a gargantuan margin. If you say 'RPGs' without qualification today, by all rights you ought to be refering to WoW and Elder Scrolls, with D&D occupying a place very far down the list. To all the people who play RPGs or have heard about the phenomenon, dragons, in addition to standing for their mythological roots, can stand for Skyrim or WoW or any of their other favourite RPGs. Beholders cannot.

I am aware that the owners of D&D would like to have dragons primarily associated with its IP in the public perception. They have, however, not achieved this miracle of marketing and there is no reason to assume that they ever will. It would be a triumph of an unimaginable scale, similar to Coca-Cola's solidification of Santa Claus as a mascot for their soft drink.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  03:33:33  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

There was a beholder featured in that crazy Filipino horror/comedy film starring (if I remember it right) Dolphy. And that was long before D&D was born.

So it boils down to how familiar one is with the D&D setting.

When was that made?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  03:45:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Early 60s. So the effects...well, really sucked. It was funny, though. Managed to watch the last 3/4 of it. I forgot the title. I was very young when I watched it on TV.

The monster was not exactly a beholder, but looked so much like one. Everything's nearly the same except that its eyes shoot fire instead of disintegration magic.

Edited by - Dennis on 26 Feb 2012 03:49:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  06:17:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Early 60s. So the effects...well, really sucked. It was funny, though. Managed to watch the last 3/4 of it. I forgot the title. I was very young when I watched it on TV.

The monster was not exactly a beholder, but looked so much like one. Everything's nearly the same except that its eyes shoot fire instead of disintegration magic.

If it goes back that far, it may have been the inspiration for the D&D beholder. Because let's face it, most of us are not going to dream up a floating ball with laser eyes on our own!

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  07:23:07  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't see it as being all that original, since no one else has really portrayed and delevoped them. You could say the same thing about moon elves, since they've not been portrayed and developed outside of Realms novels.

I mentioned exactly one character, and I did not say he was the most recognizable thing in D&D -- I was just using him as an example to this idea that one character is somehow iconic of everything in the entire setting.

What I'm doing is disagreeing with your statement that thinking of the Realms means thinking of drow. Some of us will think of Danilo and Arilyn. Some will think of Azoun IV. Some will think of Elminster, some will think of Alias, some will think of Erevis. Some will think about particular book covers or artwork, of which a very large portion does not include drow. Some will envision Syluné killing a dragon in Shadowdale and being killed in the process, some will envision the Simbul laying waste to Thayans, some will think of the Tears of Selûne trailing across the night sky. And some will think of their own characters, like when my Waterdhavian swashbuckler thief pre-empted his partner's elaborate plan for dealing with guard dogs by simply perching on the gate and opening it, or the draconian-inspired Sembian sorcerer I've been playing with.

My point is that for you, drow may be what is iconic about the Realms -- but you cannot assume that for everyone.

And the topic isn't about what's iconic for the Realms, it's about the most iconic monster or race in D&D.

I did not mean to imply that everyone should consider drow to be the most iconic. Each to his own. You think of dragons, I prefer drow , many others prefer beholders. I dont think there is any right or wrong answer as its a matter of personal preference.
But Drizzt is still the best
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  17:50:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

If it goes back that far, it may have been the inspiration for the D&D beholder. Because let's face it, most of us are not going to dream up a floating ball with laser eyes on our own!

Hmm. Perhaps, given that D&D's penanggalan (sp?) was obviously inspired by (or borrowed from) manananggal, a rather famous fetus-eating monster in my country.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  18:24:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hmm. Perhaps, given that D&D's penanggalan (sp?) was obviously inspired by (or borrowed from) manananggal, a rather famous fetus-eating monster in my country.

The Philippines sound like a very dangerous place...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  18:33:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, a lot of D&D critters are drawn -- however loosely -- from existing mythology/legends.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  18:39:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Philippines sound like a very dangerous place...

Depends on the city. But monsters should be the least of your worries. Assassins dressed like civilian, on the other hand, you must be wary of. Specially if you do not behave yourself.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  00:18:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, a lot of D&D critters are drawn -- however loosely -- from existing mythology/legends.

Or merger concepts from fictional aspects of a culture's literary foundation.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  00:59:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Everyone borrows ideas from everybody else. What's new to some may be old to others.

Whoever wrote the script of that movie I mentioned must not have dreamed of it entirely by himself. He must have had some inspiration. Perhaps some stories by Lovecraft. Or our very own folklore.

Go to Top of Page

MrsDrasek
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2012 :  16:28:43  Show Profile  Visit MrsDrasek's Homepage Send MrsDrasek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iconic? I would pick Mephistopheles (or any such devil equivalent)as this type has been around gaming as long as I can remember. He has always been a prominent feature in the realms here and there over the years.

Part Well...Regret Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2012 :  17:38:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall old Meph being much mentioned in Realmslore before the Twilight War books, although yeah, he (along with the other iconic arch-fiends) has technically been around since even before D&D's inception.

Tiamat, as a five-headed chromatic dragon, seems to be entirely invented by Gygax. Apparently based on a Tiamat from ancient Babylon mythology who was described only vaguely as some kind of chaos serpent.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2012 :  17:48:01  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Other, for Illithids. Brain-sucking beasties for the win!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2012 :  18:44:21  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would venture to say that if we defined iconic as "the D&D monster that we've encountered the most in combat over the years" .... it would be Orcs. We all have fought Orcs. They are immensely prolific in combat from CR 1 to 4 - and still encountered frequently-enough after that if using templates or class level boosts (we're talking 3.5 and PF here).

If we define iconic in the sense of marketing symbolism, dragons are the correct answer.

In my Mind's Eye though, it's Beholders. Hence, my vote. :-)
Go to Top of Page

MrsDrasek
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  21:42:05  Show Profile  Visit MrsDrasek's Homepage Send MrsDrasek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I don't recall old Meph being much mentioned in Realmslore before the Twilight War books, although yeah, he (along with the other iconic arch-fiends) has technically been around since even before D&D's inception.

I used Mephistopheles because he was my favorite out of the "Devil" types, (Because of the Twilight Wars) but meant devils in general. Not sure if your meaning of realms-lore is just talking about FR novels in general?
For me he was used in gaming back in the 1979-1980 time frame and I remember him being in the first edition monster manual, then the second Edition, Book of Vile Darkness, and Fiendish Codex II He was the one who stood out for me the most over the years as far as archfiends and the like. If were just talking found in authors work, then I can't be sure I haven't read everything yet.

Orcs was a good one, I forgot about them entirely.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  22:05:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How in the hells could the Beholder be winning this????

It is called Dungeons and DRAGONS...

Dragon is of course my pick.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

MrsDrasek
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  22:20:36  Show Profile  Visit MrsDrasek's Homepage Send MrsDrasek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As stupid as this may make me sound, Dragon didn't enter my mind and your right Dalor the Dragon probably should be the most iconic.
When I first read the poll "the most iconic monster" I just didn't think of it. My mode of thinking was monster based (as I guess I do not think of all dragons as monsters or associate those as all evil lol)

So I chose devils, simply because for me, they have appeared the most throughout history as the monster figure that I can remember earliest in all types of forms.
Dragon... who'd a thunk it?

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2012 :  01:59:19  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first inclination was to vote "Dragon" (after all, it's in the name, right?) but after a moment's consideration I went with "Beholder."

The beholder is the most iconic creature of the D&D IP. The beholder has been with the game since the beginning. A beholder was pictured on the cover of the very first D&D supplement book "Greyhawk", a book I remember quite fondly. (http://savevsdragon.blogspot.com/2012/03/why-supplement-i-may-be-most-d-of-all-d.html)

Although my 2nd most favorite D&D critter(after the beholder) is the rust-monster, who was not even mentioned in the poll. Poor little guy. He just gets no respect!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000